PDA

View Full Version : Teal'c Question

seal
November 18th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Does Teal'c know when he's in the presence of a Goa'uld or Jaffa? I think I remember him saying he could sense it, from his symbiote, but I can't remember for sure.

newton4881
November 18th, 2004, 08:07 PM
yea he said it and he can, so can carter who was previously hosted by snake.

Erik Pasternak
November 18th, 2004, 08:08 PM
He used to, but not anymore, as he lost his symbiote in "The Changeling."

seal
November 18th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Can Teal'c tell the difference between someone with a mature Goa'uld and someone with a larva?

WraithWarrior
November 19th, 2004, 12:54 AM
He used to, but not anymore, as he lost his symbiote in "The Changeling."

I know he lost the symbiote, but I would have thought that Teal'c would still be able to sense the presence of the Gou'ald due to having it for so many years (however many he has carried them)

saltydude
November 19th, 2004, 02:55 AM
I believe that their ability to sense a goa'uld larva/symbiot is because of the naquada released in their blood by having a larva/symbiot. Even though Teal'c have lost his symbiot he will still be able to sense the goa'uld because so can Sam.

soulblade64
November 19th, 2004, 03:09 AM
I believe that their ability to sense a goa'uld larva/symbiot is because of the naquada released in their blood by having a larva/symbiot. Even though Teal'c have lost his symbiot he will still be able to sense the goa'uld because so can Sam.
sam can sense them because a marker was left in her body, and the snake degraded into her system. naquadah in the blood body acts as a snake detector, that's how cassie could detect jolinar in the first place. does teal'c have naquadah in his body

saltydude
November 19th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Maybe he doesn't, I don't think it's mentioned in any episode.

Skydiver
November 19th, 2004, 04:41 AM
This sensing the goauld bit is a plot sensitive bit.

in ITLOD, teal'c stood right by sam, even helped drag her back through the gate and apparantly didn't sense Jolinar. In Enemy Within, he didn't sense the snake in kawalsky either

then all of a sudden in The Tomb, they needed him to so he can sense goaulds

Sam can sense them, just like cassandra, because of the naqahdah in her blood. (and since cassie can sense goaulds, it would seem it's the naqahdah not the protein marker since cassie doesn't have one of those) presumably Teal'c could feel junior reacting to the presence of other goauld, but it would make sense, now that junior is gone, so is the naqahdah and so should be his ability to sense snakes

saltydude
November 19th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Perhaps I was right then? Well I guess only the writers know for sure ;)

shelsfc
November 19th, 2004, 05:37 AM
This sensing the goauld bit is a plot sensitive bit.

in ITLOD, teal'c stood right by sam, even helped drag her back through the gate and apparantly didn't sense Jolinar. In Enemy Within, he didn't sense the snake in kawalsky either

then all of a sudden in The Tomb, they needed him to so he can sense goaulds

Sam can sense them, just like cassandra, because of the naqahdah in her blood. (and since cassie can sense goaulds, it would seem it's the naqahdah not the protein marker since cassie doesn't have one of those) presumably Teal'c could feel junior reacting to the presence of other goauld, but it would make sense, now that junior is gone, so is the naqahdah and so should be his ability to sense snakes
It could be that because Teal'c was always around snakes before he came to Earth, it was natural to him, he didn't know any different. In ITLOD, he just might not have noticed that it was a feeling he got only around goa'uld. That was only S2, right?
But by the time of The Tomb, particularly because of Sam's experiences, he would have realised that's what the feeling was.

saltydude
November 19th, 2004, 05:44 AM
How does that explain Sam then? And Cassie for that matter.

shelsfc
November 19th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Like you said, it's because of the naquadah in their blood. For Teal'c it was because he had the symbiote. Unless having so many symbiotes for so long has left some sort of marker in his blood too, he probably can't anymore since Changeling.

saltydude
November 19th, 2004, 06:23 AM
No, because a symbiot only leaves a marker when it dies?

shelsfc
November 19th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Yeah, as far as we know. And only when it actually dies inside the hosts body. And doesn't kill the host in the process. :rolleyes:

seal
November 19th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the answers. That definitely decides what I'll need to do in my next chapter.

You think you really know a series until you sit down to write something--but these little things *really* make a difference in the plot!

Mr Prophet
November 19th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Perhaps I was right then? Well I guess only the writers know for sure ;)

I think you're giving too much credit for surety there. They might have an idea, but the Stargate writers are too wily to ever say they know for sure and thus close down their options.

Unas
November 20th, 2004, 01:32 AM
The definative guide to "sensing" (Maybe) and Teal'cs physiology

1. There is an instance before the Tomb that Teal'c was able to sense. In season 1, Teal'c sensed that Hathor was a goa'uld.

2. Teal'c had to walk across the room to sense Hathor.

3. It is possible that jaffa senses are duller than goa'ulds because a snake in the belly is not as connected to the nervous system as one is to the brain. The jaffa may thus have a more limited range.

4. In Birthright, Ishta and the other Hak'tyl did not sense Teal'c's emptiness for a long time until Ishta fell on him.

5. In the Lost City, the traitor Ronan didnt know Bra'tac lost his symbiote despite being near him for quite some time.

6. Teal'c's pouch no longer exists. In Bane, it began sealing up after the symbiote left. In Affinity, Teal'c sleeps with Krista meaning there's no pouch to freak her out.

Mr Prophet
November 20th, 2004, 01:39 AM
6. Teal'c's pouch no longer exists. In Bane, it began sealing up after the symbiote left. In Affinity, Teal'c sleeps with Krista meaning there's no pouch to freak her out.

Maybe she's just really open-minded?

Lord Zedd
November 20th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Are you sure that he hasn't got the pouch anymore?Did it close on its own or surgery or what is the deal and if he didn't had a pouch than so does BRa'tac witch means that when Ronan stabbed the knife in to its belly Bra'tac couldn't fight and he did continue to fight.You think that a 145 year (in season 7) old Jaffa can still fight after being stabbed in the belly.

SaberBlade
November 20th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Are you sure that he hasn't got the pouch anymore?Did it close on its own or surgery or what is the deal and if he didn't had a pouch than so does BRa'tac witch means that when Ronan stabbed the knife in to its belly Bra'tac couldn't fight and he did continue to fight.You think that a 145 year (in season 7) old Jaffa can still fight after being stabbed in the belly.

i think that the pouch is closed but where the symbiote stayed it is still there. i think that something about the pouch being there and empty was mentioned in the episode Orpheus (S7) when teal'c was injured but i can't be sure.

edit: yeah i was right

FRAISER: "The staff blast hit you directly in the symbiote pouch. If you weren't on Tretonin.."

FRAISER: "You have more healing to do. The staff blast passed through the empty symbiote pouch and did some damage to your spine and surrounding soft tissue. In the past, I could have let your symbiote regenerate the damage. With work, you should be able to make a full recovery. Teal'c?"

source: http://twiztv.com/scripts/stargate/season7/stargate-704.htm

when bra'tac was stabbed, the same would have happened to him, the knife would have entered his pouch opening but the area stabbed would have been empty

the opening probably closed either naturally or as a result of the tetronine (i think the tetronine would have probably healed it thinking it was just a wound)

Unas
November 20th, 2004, 02:11 AM
This raises another question. Is the pouch just a useless cavity? I dont think the pouch is externally visible anymore unless Krista is totally into men with holes in their bellies. :eek:

Mr Prophet
November 20th, 2004, 02:24 AM
He probably passes it off as the result of the world's most inept appendectomy.

Skydiver
November 20th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Maybe she's just really open-minded?

maybe what she was interested in wasn't his pouch ;)

Mr Prophet
November 20th, 2004, 10:41 AM
This raises another question. Is the pouch just a useless cavity?

No. The inside of a jaffa contains a synthetic, orange-flavoured filling, noted for its moreish qualities.

Erik Pasternak
November 20th, 2004, 10:48 AM
This raises another question. Is the pouch just a useless cavity? I dont think the pouch is externally visible anymore unless Krista is totally into men with holes in their bellies. :eek:
I think it's still part of their physical make up and won't go away.

Beatrice Otter
November 22nd, 2004, 12:52 AM
The definative guide to "sensing" (Maybe) and Teal'cs physiology
3. It is possible that jaffa senses are duller than goa'ulds because a snake in the belly is not as connected to the nervous system as one is to the brain. The jaffa may thus have a more limited range.

There is no neurological connection. This is stated categorically in the ep "Crossroads." Therefore, the only things T can presumably sense from his symbiote are things like how much it's moving, if its temperature rises or falls, stuff like that. He has no way of knowing for sure exactly what is making it do what it's doing, though he can make educated guesses. That's a lot less precise than being able to sense the Naquadah directly like Sam and Cassie can. No, T has no Naquadah in his own blood; when symbiote's blood and fluids are released into a Jaffa's pouch (i.e. the prim'tah is physically injured), it acts as a poison, so that even if they get a new prim'tah they're still going to die. I think. I'm pretty sure they say something about that in one of the eps where T's father is mentuioned--that's how Cronus killed him.

Are you sure they sleep together? I mean, not just in the same room? I dunno, I'd be inclined to see T as being a gentleman in those circumstances (particularly as he's already _got_ a gf), but otoh, I wouldn't be willing to state categorically they didn't, either.

Unas
November 22nd, 2004, 01:41 AM
Are you sure they sleep together? I mean, not just in the same room? I dunno, I'd be inclined to see T as being a gentleman in those circumstances (particularly as he's already _got_ a gf), but otoh, I wouldn't be willing to state categorically they didn't, either.

That didnt stop Teal'c from having a relationship with Shaun'auc while married with Drey'auc.

Mr Prophet
November 22nd, 2004, 08:00 AM
There is no neurological connection. This is stated categorically in the ep "Crossroads." Therefore, the only things T can presumably sense from his symbiote are things like how much it's moving, if its temperature rises or falls, stuff like that. He has no way of knowing for sure exactly what is making it do what it's doing, though he can make educated guesses. That's a lot less precise than being able to sense the Naquadah directly like Sam and Cassie can. No, T has no Naquadah in his own blood; when symbiote's blood and fluids are released into a Jaffa's pouch (i.e. the prim'tah is physically injured), it acts as a poison, so that even if they get a new prim'tah they're still going to die. I think. I'm pretty sure they say something about that in one of the eps where T's father is mentuioned--that's how Cronus killed him.

We know he can sense it getting agitated in Hide and Seek, but that may just be because it's wriggling a lot.

Teal'c is a humungous tart. He slept with Shan'auc when he had a wife; do you really think having a girl on another planet is going to stop him getting his sweet lovin'?

Beatrice Otter
November 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM
Teal'c is a humungous tart. He slept with Shan'auc when he had a wife; do you really think having a girl on another planet is going to stop him getting his sweet lovin'?

Very true. But I've always figured that Drey'auc shacking up with what's-his-face was the Jaffa equivalent of a divorce. At the very least, it _severely_ wounded their relationship. In which case sleeping with Shan'auc can't be taken as Teal'c's normal response while in a relationship. As he and Ishta have had no break-up/severe relationship difficulties, Teal'c wouldn't necessarily act the same way when faced with a possible love interest. All this is completely my opinion, however. As this is an issue TPTB have never directly adressed, I guess it just comes down to individual choice what you want to believe.

Mr Prophet
November 22nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
Very true. But I've always figured that Drey'auc shacking up with what's-his-face was the Jaffa equivalent of a divorce. At the very least, it _severely_ wounded their relationship. In which case sleeping with Shan'auc can't be taken as Teal'c's normal response while in a relationship. As he and Ishta have had no break-up/severe relationship difficulties, Teal'c wouldn't necessarily act the same way when faced with a possible love interest. All this is completely my opinion, however. As this is an issue TPTB have never directly adressed, I guess it just comes down to individual choice what you want to believe.

Drey'auc did divorce Teal'c, or at least had the marriage annuled and then married Fro'tac. However, Teal'c made it pretty damn clear that he did not feel that the marriage was any kind of over and Drey'auc apparently concurred. At the end of that episode, the marriage is clearly back on and he is visiting his family - not his son - in Nemesis.

Anyway, having made such a fuss about Fro'tac, Teal'c going off with Shan'auc is pretty difficult to square. Then, when he meets Ishta, he talks about losing his wife but never mentions Shan'auc. It's not difficult to assume that he saw nothing to restrain him against having a fling on Earth, although he probably wouldn't have felt the same if Ishta had been playing the field.

Unas
November 22nd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Also he dreamed of Shaun'auc in his fantasy world in Changeling. No wife and son in his universe.