X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Universe - Multichannel News: Reading a Show's Life Line

At Multichannel News:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Reading a Show's Life Line

Many Factors Weigh into Deciding the Fate of a Popular Series

by Janice Rhoshalle Littlejohn -- Multichannel News, 10/27/2008

Everyone, especially programming executives, loves a hit. But television shows, no matter how strong the ratings, don't last forever — even if some seem to.

**snippage**

THE SPIN FACTOR

Creating a spinoff of a series can certainly help bolster a franchise's longevity. For its part, Showtime has tapped Chaiken for an untitled L Word spinoff, in which the character of Alice Pieszecki (played by actress Leisha Hailey) moves on.

“I was especially interested because the way the challenge came to me was, 'Let's do a very different show,' and that's what makes me think it might actually work,” Chaiken said. “Often an audience, particularly fans of a show, will wind up being disappointed that the new show isn't the old show. But when you're doing something completely different, you can side-step some of those expectations.”

Another key is having a really strong creative vision, said Tomassi Lindman. “And having strong writers and strong producers, the people who are going to bring those great ideas and fresh storylines that keep a show going season after season,” she added.

Such a strong vision led Sci Fi to give the green light to executive producer Ronald Moore's Caprica, the prequel to Battlestar Galactica; and to co-executive producers Brad Rice and Robert Cooper's Stargate: Universe, the third series in the long-running Stargate franchise.

“This was a creative call to move Stargate Atlantis into [made-for-television] movies and then to launch Stargate: Universe,” said Sci Fi president Dave Howe. “Stargate SG-1 went 10 years; Stargate Atlantis is now in its fifth season; and the producers looked at the stories and how it played out and how many more iterations of that story felt right and we totally agreed with them.

“Stargate Atlantis had been great, but it was now time to think about the next chapter.”

The holy grail in terms of media and entertainment these days is franchise-building, according to Howe.

“We're focused on it. Hollywood theatrical movies are focused on it, the level of investment that is required to develop and launch a series is, from a marketing perspective, huge,” he said. “The difficulty in terms of breaking out and attracting and sustaining that audience, if you can create something that is franchise-able, then the business model is much more powerful and much more long-term, and so much more consistent and viable, and that's the business we're all in.”

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Thanks for the heads-up (& it's Wright, not Rice! ).

Comment

Why do I feel again they sacrificed Atlantis for Universe?

And if they speak about Atlantis movies, than they should order at least 2 .... But they will make only one in 2009.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Well if SG-1 lasted 10 years and SGA lasted 5, then I'm going to say that SGU will only last 2 and a half at best.

anyone else seeing a pattern here?
        sigpic
        ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
          Well if SG-1 lasted 10 years and SGA lasted 5, then I'm going to say that SGU will only last 2 and a half at best.

anyone else seeing a pattern here?
          Yes

SG1 lasted 5 years on SciFI
          SGA lasted 5 years on SciFI
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            Why do I feel again they sacrificed Atlantis for Universe?

And if they speak about Atlantis movies, than they should order at least 2 .... But they will make only one in 2009.
            They did. The writters and producers even said so in an interview. Gateworld.com has the interviews.

Comment

Working...
            X