PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Universe - SciFi Wire: Exclusive: Stargate Universe Concept Art!

morjana
October 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
At SciFi Wire (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=61531):

(Please follow the link for the complete article and the artwork.)

12:00 AM, 24-OCTOBER-08

Exclusive: Stargate Universe Concept Art!

SCI FI Wire has exclusively obtained the first concept art for the upcoming Stargate Universe, which reveals the new look and feel of this latest spinoff of the Stargate franchise...

Drizzt Do'Urden
October 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
ok so for the "darker edgyer feel" they're just gonna rip off the ship form the origional alien movie... great...

Boon
October 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
ew....
I hope that was the rejected stuff...

SGAsgard
October 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
COOL... reminds me a little of the Ori motherships, more of darker tone it is, but it also seems a little more "tradtional" woodish style I like it. Not to much like Atlantis or anything, more Ori if you ask me. Makes sense though ship was sent out before Atlantis maybe they were sticking to tradtion rather then the new fangled tech.

Now if only they could make me crew less Hormoned and more RDA

jenks
October 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
ok so for the "darker edgyer feel" they're just gonna rip off the ship form the origional alien movie... great...

Uh, being darker and edgier has nothing to do with the lighting or sets you know...:rolleyes:

Jack_Bauer
October 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
What's with the console? It looks retarded...

Arthurdent
October 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Uh, being darker and edgier has nothing to do with the lighting or sets you know...:rolleyes:

Not necessarily. The amount of lighting and design of the sets can help set up the mood. Take Star Trek, for instance. Deep Space Nine was intended to be darker and edgier than The Next Generation. The station was literally darker and edgier than the Enterprise-D.
Of course in order to really be darker and edgier TPTB will need much more than just set designs to convey that.

My main concern is visual continuity with ancient technology as depicted in Atlantis and SG-1

Khentkawes
October 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
It kind of reminds me of Star Wars. At least, the corridor and the airlock door look somewhat similar.

Jack_Bauer
October 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
My main concern is visual continuity with ancient technology as depicted in Atlantis and SG-1

Well we have already seen major differences between SG1 and Atlantis Ancient structures. And it stands to reason that in the millions of years the Ancients/Alterans/Lanteans would have changed their style of architecture.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
October 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'm indifferent. It doesnt really inspire anything, its just a generic spaceship set like iv seen in many other shows *shrug*, its ok but I dont really love it or hate it.

Jack_Bauer
October 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
I'm indifferent. It doesnt really inspire anything, its just a generic spaceship set like iv seen in many other shows *shrug*, its ok but I dont really love it or hate it.

Exactly! If everyone shares that opinion, how well can this series really go?

lilstevo
October 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Oh dear, not filling me with confidence. is not... ancienty. seems like a mix of travellers stuff and matrix tbh. bits of wires around and piping/cabling. the ancient had a better design aesthetic then that i think.

Jack_Bauer
October 24th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Oh dear, not filling me with confidence. is not... ancienty. seems like a mix of travellers stuff and matrix tbh. bits of wires around and piping/cabling. the ancient had a better design aesthetic then that i think.

The first thing i thought of when we saw the traveller's ship interior was that it was ripped right from the Matrix.

But seriously, why are there exposed pipes and wires and crap like that? It's not like the Ancients were in a hurry when they built this ship were they?

jenks
October 24th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Not necessarily. The amount of lighting and design of the sets can help set up the mood. Take Star Trek, for instance. Deep Space Nine was intended to be darker and edgier than The Next Generation. The station was literally darker and edgier than the Enterprise-D.
Of course in order to really be darker and edgier TPTB will need much more than just set designs to convey that.

No, 'darker and edgier' is a reference to the story telling, it has absolutely nothing to do with the look of the show.

Jack_Bauer
October 24th, 2008, 12:17 AM

No, 'darker and edgier' is a reference to the story telling, it has absolutely nothing to do with the look of the show.

;)

digitalred93
October 24th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I have one large complaint (besides the fact that yes, the designs are very reminiscent of Giger's work on ALIEN). The copy says that Robert Cooper was the co-creator of SG-1... which is most certainly NOT the case. SG-1 was created by Bradley Wright and Jonathon Glassner

Sorry but that needed to be said.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
October 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I think sci-fi tv people need to start taking more risks IMO. I think the genre in tv-format has played it safe for too long and its become almost painfully stagnant for a very long time bar the occasional thing here and there. I say this as a casual fan of Stargate and not a hardcore one, but I think they need to up the standards and story-telling more and start taking more risks - neither pondering to the fans OR trying as hard as possible to gain "new" fans, but simply working on some ideas and concepts that will blow people away, then writing stories which are equally awesome. If they do that I think it will be a commercial success anyway, and most likely also garner new fans because id like to believe new fans will come to something because it is simply - good.

I understand they are in it for the money and not the art and want to earn a living, thats fair enough, we all need to live and eat! and if sci-fi fans want something artsy and underground theres people like me out there making weird abstract sci-fi shows, but I still think you can do something new and fresh with stargate and get something good that can still gain a decent sized audience. The artwork IMO however should make people go "wow! that looks so cool" not "its ok", so perhaps its time to try something a bit different and take a little risk ?

digitalred93
October 24th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Arthurdent: Deep Space Nine was intended to be darker and edgier than The Next Generation.
You know... you bring up an interesting point. The master of dark SF, IMHO, is Ira Steve Behr (Showrunner for Deep Space Nine and 4400). He's not on any projects right now... if the SG folks could pull him in, SGU could be quite a show worth watching. Amongst his talents includes the ability to recognize what actors bring to their roles and fold that material into the scripts. You'd be amazed how many writers don't do that.

Jack_Bauer
October 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
You know... you bring up an interesting point. The master of dark SF, IMHO, is Ira Steve Behr (Showrunner for Deep Space Nine and 4400). He's not on any projects right now... if the SG folks could pull him in, SGU could be quite a show worth watching.

not gonna happen, TPTB are too arrogant

Mirel
October 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
The style reminds of the ancient long range comms device Daniel and Vala used to inhabit bodies of the 2 persons in the Ori galaxy.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2h6vepj.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ezlgcj.jpg

flea247
October 24th, 2008, 02:43 AM
i think i like the designs, though im the only one to say it so far. i did initially imagine something more green , lol, but i think that given the time the ship was sent out it fits the level of the ancients at the time. and just remember this ship has been out there with no crew for how ever long, with no repair and maintenance so its bound to be a little dark and rusty.

SGFerrit
October 24th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I like it. Even if they are taking a page out of Giger's book, that is by no means a bad thing. If I was going to make a SciFi show, Giger is where I would take my inspiration from for set designs, the man is fantastic. A loon, but fantastic.

Either way, this is only to give a slight indication. It's very early days yet, and we won't know how good it is until it appears on screen. As long as it doesn't look cheap and tatty, then I expect I'll like it. I'm hoping the Destiny's bridge/control room is bigger though.

Also, why does it say 'the shuttle' bridge?

The style reminds of the ancient long range comms device Daniel and Vala used to inhabit bodies of the 2 persons in the Ori galaxy.

Indeed.

Atlanis
October 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM
ew....
I hope that was the rejected stuff...

I agree with you if thy're going for an industral look then I agree they've done their job but I think it should have the grace and style of Atlantis' arcatexure and it's beauty

suqata
October 24th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Everyone fails to remember that the Destiny was contruscted LONG before Atlantis and their new fangled technology that uses crystals and glass keys. This ship is part of a different era of Ancients then what we are used to seeing and quit frankly I'm very pleased with CONCEPT art. It looks to be from a time not too much older then what we are now as if it might be something WE would construct in our future.

sinfuldraconis
October 24th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I like it. I guess I'm in the minority.

Puddle Splasher
October 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Agreed.

I've always felt Atlantis' complex and asymetrical architecture composed from simple geometric designs mirrored the Lanteans philosopical beliefs. They had a kind of simple, ascetic lifestyle: wardrobe, architecture, technology, but they had a progressive understanding about complexities of life and became biologically advanced and philosophically sophisticated. Their ascetic lifestyle was born out of their mental sophistication. That said...

whatever pre/early-Milky Way-Ancient designs that are created for Universe must have some vague similarity. We saw in Ark of Truth that the Alterans valued the keystone of an arch as conceptually meaningful, and that this understanding lead to the incorporation of this design as the chevrons of the Stargate. So variations of this and other fundamental architectural forms - such as the flying buttresses of Atlantis' central spire - should be incorporated. The etchings on the Stargate should also be used as motifs that are riffed/expanded on within SGU architecture. I would not any architectural structures or interface designs be as clean and efficent as seen in Atlantis, or of anything we've seen they created during the Milky Way-era.

My thoughts on the concept art...

-It does has vague Ori similarities, which is fine. It's not hard to image the Milky Way Ancients' art shared aesthetic similairites given how much closer they were in historical terms.

-I do not like that it has so much "curvature" (ie. the bridge chair, windows, consoles). It's entirely possible to understand that any kind of object will drastically become transformed over millions of years during a culture's evolution, through design development and technological progression, but it's hard for my (31 year old) brain to see how a culture evolves from employing such "curves" to complex architectural forms such as Atlantis that are fundamentally based on simple geometric shapes. (yes, I know the circle and sphere is fundamental). From a practical point of view, it would be more comfortable to sit in a chair like the one sketched out for SGU than it would to sit in the control chair of Atlantis. Or maybe it's just counter-intuitive to propose that a culture would first design ergonomicly curved chairs before they designed a straight-edged "La-Z-Boy" style chair. Contrast this comparison I'm making to the Ori bridge-control chair. That chair clearly was created by a Ori-lovin' designer.

-I like the vertical bunch of tubes that run into that brown object in the "Corridor Hub" sketch because it reminds me of the brown/rust colored brick-like blocks that run vertically in relief of the walls in rooms and hallways of Atlantis. (aside: I've always suspected that in reality they were once the molded styrofoam used in boxes that hold consumer electronics, , painted and intersected together, Tetris-style). Anyway, that part of the sketch holds some design continuity.

-Again, the airlock door looks nice, and it's circular motif is clearly found elsewhere in the sketches, but it has no *connectable* similiarity to any circular designs we've seen. I'm not claiming that it should look like a Stargate, but those design elements, such as shapes and etchings.

I think the designer is going for a counter-intuitive design. I suspect most people think that the hard, straight-edged lines (eg. Atlantis) would pre-date a soft, ergonomic style...

In the end, I haven't lived a million years so whadda I know about what is retro and what is futuristic.

Kanetsidohi
October 24th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I guess if the ship wasn't intended to have a permanent crew, they didn't need to hide everything behind panels. Although I have to agree that is the kind of design to be expected from an alien ship.

I just hope the new human crew hasn't watched "Alien" or they're going to have a bad trip. :D

Flyboy
October 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Agreed.

I've always felt Atlantis' complex and asymetrical architecture composed from simple geometric designs mirrored the Lanteans philosopical beliefs. They had a kind of simple, ascetic lifestyle: wardrobe, architecture, technology, but they had a progressive understanding about complexities of life and became biologically advanced and philosophically sophisticated. Their ascetic lifestyle was born out of their mental sophistication. That said...

whatever pre/early-Milky Way-Ancient designs that are created for Universe must have some vague similarity. We saw in Ark of Truth that the Alterans valued the keystone of an arch as conceptually meaningful, and that this understanding lead to the incorporation of this design as the chevrons of the Stargate. So variations of this and other fundamental architectural forms - such as the flying buttresses of Atlantis' central spire - should be incorporated. The etchings on the Stargate should also be used as motifs that are riffed/expanded on within SGU architecture. I would not any architectural structures or interface designs be as clean and efficent as seen in Atlantis, or of anything we've seen they created during the Milky Way-era.

My thoughts on the concept art...

-It does has vague Ori similarities, which is fine. It's not hard to image the Milky Way Ancients' art shared aesthetic similairites given how much closer they were in historical terms.

-I do not like that it has so much "curvature" (ie. the bridge chair, windows, consoles). It's entirely possible to understand that any kind of object will drastically become transformed over millions of years during a culture's evolution, through design development and technological progression, but it's hard for my (31 year old) brain to see how a culture evolves from employing such "curves" to complex architectural forms such as Atlantis that are fundamentally based on simple geometric shapes. (yes, I know the circle and sphere is fundamental). From a practical point of view, it would be more comfortable to sit in a chair like the one sketched out for SGU than it would to sit in the control chair of Atlantis. Or maybe it's just counter-intuitive to propose that a culture would first design ergonomicly curved chairs before they designed a straight-edged "La-Z-Boy" style chair. Contrast this comparison I'm making to the Ori bridge-control chair. That chair clearly was created by a Ori-lovin' designer.

-I like the vertical bunch of tubes that run into that brown object in the "Corridor Hub" sketch because it reminds me of the brown/rust colored brick-like blocks that run vertically in relief of the walls in rooms and hallways of Atlantis. (aside: I've always suspected that in reality they were once the molded styrofoam used in boxes that hold consumer electronics, , painted and intersected together, Tetris-style). Anyway, that part of the sketch holds some design continuity.

-Again, the airlock door looks nice, and it's circular motif is clearly found elsewhere in the sketches, but it has no *connectable* similiarity to any circular designs we've seen. I'm not claiming that it should look like a Stargate, but those design elements, such as shapes and etchings.

I think the designer is going for a counter-intuitive design. I suspect most people think that the hard, straight-edged lines (eg. Atlantis) would pre-date a soft, ergonomic style...

In the end, I haven't lived a million years so whadda I know about what is retro and what is futuristic.
Have you seen British architecture over the last 100 years?

Stormtrooper
October 24th, 2008, 06:17 AM
1 - SGU concept art severely lacks, well, a Stargate?

2 - Destiny's symbol reminds me of a battlestar insignia.

Arwis
October 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM
at the begining of the arc of truth you can clearly see what design of pe-ancients ship was. It's far away from ancients design. Now take the fact that at that time there was no stargate yet(because we saw how 1 of the ancients scientists took blueprints). So when they left ori galaxy and just after that introduced the stargate the design was the same as they left, so this ship must be old design ship. And I think it has similarities with that ancients ship which left ori galaxi, well we have not seen it from inside, but from outside it looked rly different from current ancient design.

HunGripen
October 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I think the Simbol which can be found on all of the 3 concept arts is symbolizing the Stargate and the 8 chevron.
As you can see on the console there's a sign next to the symbol "Interactive dial".

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
to be honest i dig it. I like the whole thing, its very interesting looking. and im usually a very skeptical person but after seeing that i like where they are going with this.

ferrari20092
October 24th, 2008, 07:40 AM
The first thing i thought of when we saw the traveller's ship interior was that it was ripped right from the Matrix.

But seriously, why are there exposed pipes and wires and crap like that? It's not like the Ancients were in a hurry when they built this ship were they?
you got to remember this ship is MILLIONS of years old, I'm surprised the thing is even running despite a few exposed parts. I'm sure ancients maned it for a while, and had to keep repairing it, until they left and that's what's left of the ship. It's in relatively good condition considering.

suqata
October 24th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Remember people this is concept art not an actual set, its just a basic representation of what we MIGHT see. Without question the set will look somewhat different then what we see here.

thekillman
October 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
lemme put it this way: i hope it Remains concept art

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
what were u guys expecting? another Atlantis? let Atlantis be Atlantis. Destiny is like a war-torn relic, not a database or a keeper of knowledge like Atlantis. the architecture represents the crude nature of destiny and it has to be industrial since Destiny is a Stargate builder/distributor. anyone understand what im saying

Mclean
October 24th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Looks good IMO. It shows another period of Ancient tech. Destiny was built millions of years before Atlantis so we have to expect a step back in technology.

Does anyone know when it's getting released in Britain?

Orion Antreas
October 24th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I think the style they are going for has a lot of potential. Come on people, we all know Atlantis is beautiful in it's design and all, but why would you want them to create a "Atlantis replica"? Like someone said, "Let Atlantis be Atlantis." Well, I say, "Let Destiny be Destiny." Destiny should have a new design, but still tie into Alteran/Ancient/Lantean architecture and technology. They are doing this with the concept art.

Now, should it be better than the concept art that is presented? Yes...That is common sense considering concept art is only the working platform of ideas of the sets, technology, weapons, etc. Also, what some people don't understand is that the technology/architecture needs to have a 'look' before the "Atlantis architecture period". Destiny was launched millions of years before Atlantis was even thought of. So yeah, there will be a different in design over those many millenia. Great potential. Needs more work, but great potential. Create more. :D

thekillman
October 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
i wasnt expecting atlantis. more like MW ancients

suqata
October 24th, 2008, 10:49 AM
what were u guys expecting? another Atlantis? let Atlantis be Atlantis. Destiny is like a war-torn relic, not a database or a keeper of knowledge like Atlantis. the architecture represents the crude nature of destiny and it has to be industrial since Destiny is a Stargate builder/distributor. anyone understand what im saying

Destiny is neither a Stargate Builder or Distributor, it is mearly and exploration ship set on a pre-programmed course to follow the Gate seeding ship sent years ahead of it.

GhostPoet
October 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Ah HA!
I predicted right...they ARE going for a darker look in the new series.

Good!

suqata
October 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I would call it more "less advanced" then "darker" IMO.

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Destiny is neither a Stargate Builder or Distributor, it is mearly and exploration ship set on a pre-programmed course to follow the Gate seeding ship sent years ahead of it.

then Destiny is closely related to that Gate seeding ship. but i doubt that destiny is just for exploring, there is more to it. but considering how old it is the ancients were in some way still tied to the ori. their true architecture/identity didnt come to fruition till the built atlantis. on a side note, why were the ancients so keen on building a stargate system? and what are they exploring i thought they were the main reasons humans exist in other worlds. they shouldnt meet any humans then.

suqata
October 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
their true architecture/identity didnt come to fruition till the built atlantis. on a side note, why were the ancients so keen on building a stargate system? and what are they exploring

This is what I hope SGU is about

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I would call it more "less advanced" then "darker" IMO.

im kinda concerned with the less advanced part. they are trying to be BSG which is as u know is way under-advanced compared to Atlantis. this means SGU might not have plasma beams or stuff like that. even the lack of shields. which is absurd i know i hate this to be like BSG; making the space battles more practical-based and launching normal missiles instead of drones or no beaming... i hope they dont go that far with the less advanced thing.

Osiris
October 24th, 2008, 12:04 PM
So much negativity and the show hasn't even started yet!

I'm getting more and more excited about this new show. Too bad we didn't have a glimpse at the new stargate.

Ltcolshepjumper
October 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Rewatch the Ark of Truth opening scenes. Destiny is definitely something you'd expect those Alterans to create.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/gallery_photos/StargateUniverse_shuttlebridge_gal.jpghttp://www.macsyourman.com/stargatesg1971/screencaps/movies/AOT/AOT-2034.jpg

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
So much negativity and the show hasn't even started yet!

I'm getting more and more excited about this new show. Too bad we didn't have a glimpse at the new stargate.

well u will have no problem with SGU i think, because it seems you LOVE BSG. unfortunately i dont so i'll have to bite the dust. they are gearing SGU to be a BSG clone and these concept art as cool as they may look, are proof of that.

jenks
October 24th, 2008, 12:43 PM
im kinda concerned with the less advanced part. they are trying to be BSG which is as u know is way under-advanced compared to Atlantis. this means SGU might not have plasma beams or stuff like that. even the lack of shields. which is absurd i know i hate this to be like BSG; making the space battles more practical-based and launching normal missiles instead of drones or no beaming... i hope they dont go that far with the less advanced thing.

No they're not.

Platschu
October 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
No they're not.

Not exactly. They are not able. :P

jenks
October 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
To sink so low? I agree.

Platschu
October 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
To sink so low? I agree.
BSG is better than SG if I look to the actors. I could feel in every episode they can act better. They have more chance to show their skills, because there are more drama scenes. BSG had better space battle animations too, while SG needs more different type of animations because of the off-worlds scenes. BSG has only one main story arc and it never was so colorful as Stargate. But I like both scifi realm and I am sad that they canceled them. :( I think SG has more chance with Universe, because Caprica won't be such success as BSG was. :o

knowles2
October 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
1 - SGU concept art severely lacks, well, a Stargate?

2 - Destiny's symbol reminds me of a battlestar insignia.

I doubt we will see the Stargate until it airs.

Looks good IMO. It shows another period of Ancient tech. Destiny was built millions of years before Atlantis so we have to expect a step back in technology.

Does anyone know when it's getting released in Britain?

It will be release, roughly eight to nine hours after it airs in the US, sorry I not waiting around for our channels to air it.

Now back to the topic at hand, these design better end up straight into the reject area or even better yet the bin, may be use to make paper planes.

I mean they are completely rubbish and do not take into consideration many of the architecture that we have seen the ancients create when not on the run, Dakara device or the time machine or the ancient repositories, Anubis gate destroyer.

It should not be base on the AOT tech, as that should of been was made and built thousands of years befor this, I am presuming that it took the ancients hundreds of years to travel here from the Ori galaxy even using Asgard level speed of hyper drive, reason for the ori to use a giant stargate. And it would of taken them at least a couple of thousand before having the resources to launch such a enormous project/

That where they should took their inspirations from.

I wanted to see it very dark very mysterious and very none human looking architecture. I want it so that when we arrive their are no obvious control interfaces. I wanted it to have stone like textures, copying the perhaps the look of the stargate.

Instead we seemed of traveler tech/designs :(

These designs must be near to final, unfortunately , just that they would need to start construction fairly soon given the holidays season you loose about a month, if they planned to begin full production by February or March for a summer pilot and airing the full series in autumn, then production and cgi and all the monitors displays would have to start to be finalize in the next few weeks, I mean concept art. Plus I doubt they would release designs, they they were not gonna used or may this just a test to see if we like them, well most do not, I certainly do not, so get back to the drawing board and get something remotely MK ancient looking.

HunGripen
October 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Well as we could see the Ancients were quiet advanced before the building of Atlantis too. The Destiny is older than Atlantis but not that older to it wouldn't have any shield and energy weapon technology.

It will have different technologies and weapons on board, that's all.

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM
just a second here: where does destiny fit in the timeline again. was destiny launched from the milky way galaxy or the ori galaxy? and i cant remember who built the supergate either.

jenks
October 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
BSG is better than SG if I look to the actors. I could feel in every episode they can act better. They have more chance to show their skills, because there are more drama scenes. BSG had better space battle animations too, while SG needs more different type of animations because of the off-worlds scenes. BSG has only one main story arc and it never was so colorful as Stargate. But I like both scifi realm and I am sad that they canceled them. :( I think SG has more chance with Universe, because Caprica won't be such success as BSG was. :o

That's because it's a more character driven show, they're not better actors though, half of them are Stargate throwbacks...

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
BSG is done already can we talk about something that has plenty of life in it. cylons arent interesting at all and they only serve as a way to creating more conflict between the protagonists (if there is any) what made BSG famous is the style and that it took itself seriously, yet how come i end up laughing through its episodes.

Crazy Tom
October 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
One should expect they would develop touchscreens before intergalactic hyperdrives...:mckay:

jenks
October 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
What's better about touch screens?

Laura Dove
October 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the link. This concept art s good-looking but like other people, I'm having a hard time associating it with the Ancients. OTOH, I only know SGA, so I don't have a complete vision. The Destiny might have been built at a time before the Ancients became bland and unimaginative and all cold inside.

It prevents people with long nails to use them. :p

Dioxholster
October 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
touch screens are stupid because at the end of the day you end up with a screen full of fingerprints and smudges. it will be one hell of a dirty screen. u wont even be able to look at it. i rather have me a wraith screen than any touch screen.

Laura Dove
October 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
touch screens are stupid because at the end of the day you end up with a screen full of fingerprints and smudges. it will be one hell of a dirty screen. u wont even be able to look at it. i rather have me a wraith screen than any touch screen.

Wraith DO use touch screens. :D Which is weird, because they have long nails, and I can tell you how annoying touch screens are when you have long nails. Must be somewhat masochistic. ;)

Crazy Tom
October 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM

And the Ancients, in their infinite wisdon, couldn't come up with a way of runing a damp cloth across the said screen, miraculously removing all that grime.:P

Haven't you seen the Microsoft Surface videos?:P

kirmit
October 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
After spending the day being indifferent to the concepts I can finally say now that I love them. The biggest problem I had with Atlantis was that nothing looked alien, it all looked asif the tauri themselves could've built it, it was all very 'Earth-like', I much prefered the look of MW ancient tech. Now, the shuttle bridge I love, looks very alien and falls into MW technology design very well. The doors, I like, especially the emblem, it looks alot more intune with the Atlantis myth, not the SGA city of atlantis. Corridors, hmm, these are the only part that could do with a bit of change, they're too bland and look too similar to tauri ship corridors. The console, I like this, again different and more 'alien', the only thing I'd change is to hide any wires and looks asif it could do with a good clean lol. Overall, I'm happy, now just need to see the gateroom (if there is one) and the ship itself.

knowles2
October 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Actually be honest touch screens are far better than any other control type interface, especially for space vessels.

1. A touch screen in any other part of the vessel could be reconfigure to display any control system. Aka you loose access to the bridge, you just reconfigure engineering touch screens to display bridge controles such as communications, weapons or how about the ship steering wheels.

2. It easy to break keys on a key board. Imaging in the middle of a battle:

Captain: fire those damn drone
Weapon: sir the weapon key is broke
Captain: Damn why does that keep on happening.

Whiles with touch screens you just order damn helmsman or any other officer on the bridge to fire the damn weapons.

3: You can reconfigure touch screens to display any languages, and given that languages have habit of evolving over time it would make sense to design a vessel which was design to not be used for millions of years after its construction to be easilly updated to used their race latest language.

Just a few reasons why touch screens are useful for interstellar travel.

prion
October 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Then perhaps half the characters will be dead by the time the end credits roll ;)

Arthurdent
October 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Well, one advantage of buttons over a touchscreen is that you can feel them. There's a reason why the "f" and "j" (or "d" and "k") buttons on many qwerty keyboards have little bumps. It makes the keys easier to find. That said, touchscreens are otherwise much more versatile, not to mention cooler and more futuristic.

Crazy Tom
October 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Of course, using full neural interphaces would have solved all those problems...

the fifth man
October 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Overall, I like the concept art. Definitely different, that is for sure. Hopefully we'll get to see more soon.

sparkygate
October 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
The interior of the ship sort of reminds me of a cross over between ori class ships and the aurora class-ship.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/gallery_photos/StargateUniverse_shuttlebridge_gal.jpg

I guess we can see how their ships evolved from this shuttle ship into an aurora class vessel/ puddle jumpers

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/gallery_photos/StargateUniverse_CorridorHub_gal.jpg

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/gallery_photos/StargateUniverse_AncientConsole_gal.jpg

I'm actually surprised, it seems from an early level that they put there dhd in their smaller ships i.e. puddle jumpers and now in this image

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/gallery_photos/StargateUniverse_Airlockdoor_gal.jpg

Mind you it looks great!

NOTE: if this is the shuttle ship, wonder what the mothership will look like- hell what would the WHOLE ship look like

Puddle Splasher
October 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Have you seen British architecture over the last 100 years?

No, architecture is not my forte. Site some changed British architectural development as it relates to my thoughts and I'll be glad to converse with you about it.

You can be Buckminister Fuller and I'll be Frank Lloyd Wright.

Puddle Splasher
October 24th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Actually be honest touch screens are far better than any other control type interface, especially for space vessels.

1. A touch screen in any other part of the vessel could be reconfigure to display any control system. Aka you loose access to the bridge, you just reconfigure engineering touch screens to display bridge controles such as communications, weapons or how about the ship steering wheels.

Whiles with touch screens you just order damn helmsman or any other officer on the bridge to fire the damn weapons.

3: You can reconfigure touch screens to display any languages, and given that languages have habit of evolving over time it would make sense to design a vessel which was design to not be used for millions of years after its construction to be easilly updated to used their race latest language.

Just a few reasons why touch screens are useful for interstellar travel.

A general rule about the physics of mechanical technology is that the fewer moving and unnecessarily exposed parts there are the more structurally sound the object (usually) is. So one would expect more moving parts to technology in early Ancient design.

Puddle Splasher
October 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Corridors, hmm, these are the only part that could do with a bit of change, they're too bland and look too similar to tauri ship corridors.

Agreed.

HunGripen
October 25th, 2008, 04:39 AM

Yeah and if the touchscreen brokes you can't give any order to the computer.
Captain: Fire the weapons
Weapon Officer: I can't do that sir, because there is nothing on the touchscreen. Maybe it broke.

but if only one button brokes there are the other buttons.

But I would love to see some touchscreens too.

The design is different from Atlantis but the Destiny had been built much more eariler.

Orion Antreas
October 25th, 2008, 10:54 AM
One should expect they would develop touchscreens before intergalactic hyperdrives...:mckay:

Why would you say that when their latest technology has various buttons, etc. Look at the controls on Aurora-class ships or even Atlantis itself. A lot of buttons. :P They were a button race, not a touchscreen race. Lol.

This isn't the Federation here! xD

knowles2
October 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
A general rule about the physics of mechanical technology is that the fewer moving and unnecessarily exposed parts there are the more structurally sound the object (usually) is. So one would expect more moving parts to technology in early Ancient design.

Yeah but us primitive humans have had touch screens for the past 30 years. They are becoming increasingly commnon place. This would be standard in just couple decades time.

Yeah and if the touchscreen brokes you can't give any order to the computer.
Captain: Fire the weapons
Weapon Officer: I can't do that sir, because there is nothing on the touchscreen. Maybe it broke.

but if only one button brokes there are the other buttons.

But I would love to see some touchscreens too.

The design is different from Atlantis but the Destiny had been built much more eariler.

Well if all their touch screens breaks, may I suggest they go to a different supplier. May be pay a bit for quality rather than going for the cheap generic stuff.

Crazy Tom
October 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Why would you say that when their latest technology has various buttons, etc. Look at the controls on Aurora-class ships or even Atlantis itself. A lot of buttons. :P They were a button race, not a touchscreen race. Lol.

This isn't the Federation here! xD

Federation never used no nural interphaces.....

knowles2
October 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Whole yes they did, Admiral Janeway came equip with a neural chip interface design by the doctor. Endgame

Darynlxm
October 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Looking over everything again and again, the only thing I seem to really like, is the door, sadly enough.

Nothing else makes me go "wow" or "cool" or perhaps... "Interesting..."

The control pannel is hiddesous! Gawd Awful ugly... doesnt even seem practical... anyways.

Everything else is just Meh to me.
But as other people have said, these are just concepts... so Im not entering into "OH MY GODZ GUYS!! SGU IS GONNA BE TEH SUX!!!111!1eleventy!"

I am however going to look forward to the continuing progress of the series.

Orion Antreas
October 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Lol, where did neural-interfaces come in here? I am talking about buttons and touchscreens. (The current off-topic thing that has been discussed.)

Ancients use buttons, not touchscreens. I made a reference to Star Trek's Federation ships which use touchscreens, not buttons. (Well, mostly not buttons.) A lil' "haha" joke.

Sorry for going off-topic again. :P Lol.

Alteran of Atlantis
October 25th, 2008, 03:07 PM
It's okay. But it doesn't seem that...Ancienty to me. It looks like something the Travellers built. That, or it belongs on Star Wars. :D

But it's okay. I like the designs of Atlantis and the other tech we've already seen better.

Crazy Tom
October 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Lol, where did neural-interfaces come in here? I am talking about buttons and touchscreens. (The current off-topic thing that has been discussed.)

Ancients use buttons, not touchscreens. I made a reference to Star Trek's Federation ships which use touchscreens, not buttons. (Well, mostly not buttons.) A lil' "haha" joke.

Sorry for going off-topic again. :P Lol.

I know.:P

Just saying: Anceint tech shouldn't have any butons at all, since you can just think to it.:P

*shepard and rodney eneter ancient lab and ORney stops and stares around for a second*

Rondey: Don't touch anything. That incudes thinking "on" to it.:mckay:

Amalthea
October 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM
It actually kind of reminds me of stuff I've seen in the Myst franchise. I can't explain why, but something about that door is very Mysty.

Jackie
October 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
It looks like a set from Aliens. Was kind of hoping tptb would go that route. A bit cheesy and clich'e. :(

General Yogi Bear
October 25th, 2008, 09:25 PM
The art looks good. The only problem is that there is nothing really revolutionary about it. The ships are all the same in every sci-fi show...you have a bridge, engine room, shuttlebay, medical room etc. Maybe they could have both the bridge and engine room in the same room. I don't know I would just prefer something radically different.

thekillman
October 26th, 2008, 06:38 AM
im currently modelling a Destiny Hallway. im using gold and silver colors. i think the round doors are cool, and i used similar ones.
currently rendering it. after this ill try a Bridge, and a Gateroom.

its also concept art. im a good modeller, but defo not the best. so its all limited by what i can.

Edit: found out why its darker on set: its a spaceship, and its much harder to light them. atlantis is a city, plenty of windows and natural light. a spaceship doesnt have as much windows. so more light comes from electric lights. thus a darker feel.

Edit: what light should i use?

i have a render using blue light, at high intensity.
yellow-low intensity
Purple-medium intensity
white-high intensity.

any other ideas?
[low intensity is mostly the color, but not much light. high is alot of white light with a color undertone]

the silver is color adopting: with purple light, it becomes purple. the gold interacts with the light. gold+purple=reddish

JackHarkness_Hot
October 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I know.:P

Just saying: Anceint tech shouldn't have any butons at all, since you can just think to it.:P

*shepard and rodney eneter ancient lab and ORney stops and stares around for a second*

Rondey: Don't touch anything. That incudes thinking "on" to it.:mckay:

This ship was created before Atlantis at the height of the Ancient civilisation so maybe it doesn't really have a mental interface or maybe it does, anyone like Sheppard could like activate consoles that came out of walls or floor.

I have daydreamed of Ancients (how sad, lol) who dialled the DHD with their mind or when doing mental exercises used telekinesis to manually dialled the MW gates just for fun. They raised a hand and with their thoughts spun the inner ring, like how cool is that? (Wish I could do that).

So, I hope SGU uses the MW style gate. :)

Alteran of Atlantis
October 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I have daydreamed of Ancients (how sad, lol) who dialled the DHD with their mind or when doing mental exercises used telekinesis to manually dialled the MW gates just for fun. They raised a hand and with their thoughts spun the inner ring, like how cool is that? (Wish I could do that).

I've done the same thing. The character in my story does that. :p I love the Ancients... And that would be cool!

thekillman
October 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
any comments on my post?

Alteran of Atlantis
October 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
any comments on my post?

No ideas, but I'd like to see it when it's done.

thekillman
October 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM
currently rendering 4 at a time. all roughly 20-30% done. damn they're slow. anyway i think ill stick to white or yellow.

SGFerrit
October 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM
It looks like a set from Aliens. Was kind of hoping tptb would go that route. A bit cheesy and clich'e. :(

Again, I wouldn't say Giger is 'cheesy'. Anything but really. You couldn't ask for better inspiration for a scifi show.

thekillman
October 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM
ok renders at 50%, building the gateroom. 2 halls running to it, a third opposite to the gate leading to a storage room. gateroom is above the storage, building a multi-operating operations table. downloaded a control pedestal and a control chair. and a gate [the "andromeda " one]

setacourse
October 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM
As others have said, the blue light area on the shuttle bridge immediately recalled the Ori control area Carter was fiddling with in Counterstrike, and the exposed industrial piping harkens to the Aurora's exterior.

New thought: It also reminds me of the ship in the Atlantis ep The Ark. http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=560

The grimy, techno-organic feel doesn't sell me, but I'll keep an open mind. The 8-pointed star "interactive dial" and on the door is so far the most distinctive feature.

SGFerrit
October 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'd like to see the Gateroom be like the Aurora Bridge, all glass behind the gate looking out into space. I wonder if there'll be a seperate bridge to control the ship, or if the Gateroom will act as a bridge?

thekillman
October 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I'd like to see the Gateroom be like the Aurora Bridge, all glass behind the gate looking out into space. I wonder if there'll be a seperate bridge to control the ship, or if the Gateroom will act as a bridge?

that would be stupid. the control room could be close to it however

GateFanSamJack
October 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
ok renders at 50%, building the gateroom. 2 halls running to it, a third opposite to the gate leading to a storage room. gateroom is above the storage, building a multi-operating operations table. downloaded a control pedestal and a control chair. and a gate [the "andromeda " one]

I was going to throw a bunch of ideas at you, but I'm not sure how to interpret your 7:08AM post in terms of whether you are interested in that.

Jack_Bauer
October 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I was going to throw a bunch of ideas at you, but I'm not sure how to interpret your 7:08AM post in terms of whether you are interested in that.

er, he/she may not be in your timezone :S

Aryk Celestis
October 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I'm a little torn about the artwork. It doesn't seem all that 'Ancient-y' to me. It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of Atlantis's style, but a few elements from it's architecture would be nice to see back in it. Still, it's just concept art, so it's really way too early to say anything about it.

It all depends on the size of the ship, but if it's big enough, then I'd love it if they found a way to integrate the Stargate on to the bridge.

thekillman
October 28th, 2008, 04:01 AM
my timezone is GMT+1. AKA a little country called holland

BewareofthePhil
October 28th, 2008, 05:44 AM
The concept art isn't bad, but it's still very limited as to what it tells us.

I think it's right that they don't do the whole "geometric" thing of Atlantis, though. Remember, even the Atlantis Stargate itself looked different to the earlier ones we are familiar with in our own galaxy. Ancient devices such as the Stargates are very intricately designed, far from the clean, simple look of Atlantis. If this ship was sent out at an early stage (before Atlantis was even a twinkle in an ancient's eye) then yes, it would reflect the same kind of architecture and stylings as the Stargate itself.

I'd like to see a ship which in many ways looked more like a palace. Make it look alien, yet not neccessarily "spacey". I'd like to see a major spaceship which doesn't particularly look like a spaceship inside. Something that looks almost mythological. After all we're dealing with ANCIENT spacecraft here. I'd really play that up, that this was an ancient civilisation with its own look and design apart from what we always see in sci fi. Go for the "old" and "regal" looks, rather than "clean" and "clinical".

Perhaps have crystals, but less refined than the later Ancient tech. Like the crystals on top of the communication device. And lots of cool orange lights, like the chevrons.

thekillman
October 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
ok first renders. they arent finished. took 3 hours just to get this [maybe do 1 render at a time ??]

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9893/200810261538416m38sle5.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7776/200810262208366h18m20sji8.jpg
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9523/200810262208386h11m25sgw5.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3361/200810262208446h13m20sph3.jpg
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8678/200810262208456h30m3sqq6.jpg

dont mind the black: its a lighting error i fixed

badwolfSG
October 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Was bored, and nothing better to do so I was sufting scifi.com and saw this, thought it looked pretty interesing.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/news/sfw_news_20081027.html

thekillman
October 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM
congratz, you are the fifth poster of such a topic!

Rachel-Kree
October 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I didn't like much of the concept art but hope it get better.. maybe its just something of my mind. :s

badwolfSG
October 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
congratz, you are the fifth poster of such a topic!

Really, I looked threw a couple of post to see if anyone else post this, and didn't see anything. guess I didn't look good enough. lol. oh, well can't hurt anything.

Gate Rider
October 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
It looks like the DS9 sets too much in my opinion.

LordAnubis82
October 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I didn't like much of the concept art but hope it get better.. maybe its just something of my mind. :s

it'll probably change. the design for Atlantis and the puddle jumper aren't the same as their concept art. besides "concept" means "idea". so it's just an idea of what it MAY look like, not how it'll actually look.

Soval
October 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I wasn't impressed with the art and ya too much like DS9

Col. Tomorian
October 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
"Aliens" meets "Star Wars" meets "Earth Final Conflict". It is definitely similar to the Ancient technology that has been seen in "Stargate: SG-1".

Edit --

I wasn't impressed with the art and ya too much like DS9 Yeah. Its just a different color.

Pharaoh Atem
October 30th, 2008, 01:19 AM
ugly

Flyboy
October 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM
No, architecture is not my forte. Site some changed British architectural development as it relates to my thoughts and I'll be glad to converse with you about it.

You can be Buckminister Fuller and I'll be Frank Lloyd Wright.
Ok, take a look at this:

http://www.oswego.edu/academics/international/images/Westminster%20Abby.jpg

and compare it to this:

http://www.thelpr.com/images/fullsize/property/P093.jpg

I think that demonstrates that architecture over even a thousand years can change very significantly.

stargabb
October 31st, 2008, 02:02 AM
these are the first pics they have released and if you dont like them, remember the first ideas are not always the ones in the end result..

thekillman
October 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM
ok this is how i wouldve like it more:

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8686/200810312114362d52m7sjh7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

its concept model. working on the gateroom

tk9780
October 31st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Was that 'Rust' on the hatch way, come on a 'interstellar' spaceship that 'rusts' I hope this not prelude for things to come. SG1 was great; SGA the jokes are getting far too old, SGU just Rusts!
Alien meets Space 1999!