Voyager Equinox 1 and 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voyager Equinox 1 and 2

The two parter Equinox are really enjoyable and thought provoking episodes. Questions and opinions please:

1.0 Do you think Janeway was justified or went to far in trying to get information out of the prisoner from the Equinox they captured?

2.0 Do you think Chekote did the right thing by not following the Captains orders?

Afterall Voyager crew died as a result of the Equinox's actions, as well as innoscent sentient beings. I was personally very angry at the crew of the Equinox, and I perhaps would have reacted to them as Janeway did. Although in the end Janeway implied she might have gone too far, but in the heat of the moment what would you as a starfleet Captain have done?

Janeway did the wrong thing as far as the torture of the prisoner went as she abandoned her principles the very thing that she took issue with against the Equinox making her hypocritical.

Chakotay was correct in disobey her orders as apart from those orders most likely being unlawful he was also protecting Janeway from making a mistake that she would regret.

The Equinox episodes were good episodes for Voyager because of the ethical dilemas they produced and whilst you didn't feel sorry for all the Equinox crew you did fell sorry from some, only a few of the crew were really committed to what they were doing ie. (Max), others just felt that they had no more choice as they had gone to far to go back. Branson in particular was clearly more misguided than evil and restled with his conscience over his decisions.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
      Janeway did the wrong thing as far as the torture of the prisoner went as she abandoned her principles the very thing that she took issue with against the Equinox making her hypocritical.

Chakotay was correct in disobey her orders as apart from those orders most likely being unlawful he was also protecting Janeway from making a mistake that she would regret.

The Equinox episodes were good episodes for Voyager because of the ethical dilemas they produced and whilst you didn't feel sorry for all the Equinox crew you did fell sorry from some, only a few of the crew were really committed to what they were doing ie. (Max), others just felt that they had no more choice as they had gone to far to go back. Branson in particular was clearly more misguided than evil and restled with his conscience over his decisions.
      Hello fellow Aussie, you are in a beautiful part of the world.

There is certainly a valid argument in what you say, and perhaps Janeway did push the boundaries. But from her state of mind and the result of losing Voyager crew because of the actions by the Equinox, I can understand her anger. These 2 episodes I feel are standouts in the Voager series.

I agree there was no evil intend, just bad and misguided judgement. but when the equinox found Voyager, why did they not join forces to find a way of getting home together. It was such a bad way of doing things, really poor judgement.

Comment

The Equinox crossed the line Voyager never had to. Voyager's never been in that bad condition for that long with no hope of ever getting home.

Janeway was out of line in her interrogation tactics, foreshadowing post 9-11 concerns about torture. It may not be the right thing to do but, under the circumstances, she may have been forced to do it. Then again, it can be argued that Ransom was forced to do bad things, as well...

Chakotay definitely did the right thing in standing up to her. "Katherine!" If he can't pull her back from her almost Maquis-like crusade for vengeance, no one can.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Janeway would have regretted it had she gone through with it. She was acting that was because she was absolutely livid. The anger she felt clouded her judgment, and really, I can't blame her. The crew of the Equinox were just murdering *******s.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrius View Post
            Janeway would have regretted it had she gone through with it. She was acting that was because she was absolutely livid. The anger she felt clouded her judgment, and really, I can't blame her. The crew of the Equinox were just murdering *******s.
            But the Equinox were in an extreme situation. A half starved crew and a ship barely holding together in the first place.....if Janeway was in the same state I bet she would have done the same as Branson. Still with the same guilt but to get her crew home and safe she would have taken that chance.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Janeway basically did what Ransom did but to a far greater degree in Endgame. She destroyed an entire timeline simply to get her crew home faster and save a few lives. She KNEW that they would get home eventually, but she changed history anyway simply for convenience or maybe for her repressed love for 7/9.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                Janeway basically did what Ransom did but to a far greater degree in Endgame. She destroyed an entire timeline simply to get her crew home faster and save a few lives. She KNEW that they would get home eventually, but she changed history anyway simply for convenience or maybe for her repressed love for 7/9.
                Keeping in mind that the older janeway was far more bitter than her earlier counterpart and our janeway wouldn't even consider the future timeline. Why should she? Janeway lived for the present. I would have done the same as her.

Comment

Which Janeway? Temporal timey whimey stuff gives me a headache.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                    Which Janeway? Temporal timey whimey stuff gives me a headache.
                    Our Janeway. The present version not the future version.

Comment

Captain Janeway lamented her always thinking about the future. She thought about the future of the Ocampa, she thought about little else but getting the crew home at some time in the future for 7 years... Admiral Janeway had no real future to think about, all she had was the past.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                      X