This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the city fly again? (spoilers)

This thread will contain spoilers for the Season 3 finale and beginning of Season 4.

At the end of "First Strike," Atlantis had to relocate thanks to a satellite weapon. "Adrift" featured the city lost in space. In "Lifeline," the city was repaired and landed on it's new home world.

Would you like to see another relocation in the movie?

It depends on the circumstances of it having to move. If it is some planetary disaster or impending doom, no - it should stay put. If moving it is of some strategic or tactical benefit, then perhaps. I just don't want to see another relocation used as a plot device to avoid Wraith attacks or to deplete ZPMs.

I'd much rather see Atlantis find more ZPMs and be at full power for a while though. We keep burning up ZPMs almost as soon as we get them.

Comment

I would like them to perfect that new tech that allows to pull energy from a parallel universe, except that they are able to ascertain whether or not that parallel universe is capable of sustaining the City without destroying the other, dose that make sense?
      "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
      "Yes, I was there."
      "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
      "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
      "No I was chus wondring"
      "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

I don't think we'll see the city relocated by the end of this season (5) and now that we have the Asgard beam weapons we have an effective weapon against the Wraith provided that our ships are in the Pegasus galaxy I don't think it's really needed.

I think it was good to see Ancient cities fly a few times (including Asuras) but now it's been viewed, if it was to happen again I think the wonder and spectacularness (I don't think that's an actual word but hopefully you'll know what I mean ) of it could lost, it could just be seen by many as a means to remove the drama or threat of an enemy especially if the reason for moving the city was to get away from another one of the baddies

The one thing to me that sets us apart from the Ancients aside from our previous lack of effective weaponry, was that we were willing to stand and fight or even take the fight to the Wraith.
        I just don't think seeing the city fly is all that necessary now.

Comment

Originally posted by ASAKATA View Post
          I would like them to perfect that new tech that allows to pull energy from a parallel universe, except that they are able to ascertain whether or not that parallel universe is capable of sustaining the City without destroying the other, dose that make sense?
          I get what you mean.

Daedalus Variations spoilers
          Spoiler:
          What about the subspace tap? if we could correct the faults with that tech we could use it to power the city to it's full potential.
          I'm thinking we add an off switch (and a few back-ups ), buffers, some kind of vent for the excess power (I guess that could be the city's shield) and power the city off of 3 or more coz Rodney said that tech could create ZPM levels of power.

Comment

Honestly there are only 2 or 3 reasons I can see them needing to move Atlantis.

1. If they were to bring it home to Earth (but that would require them either learn how to make ZPM's. Which I am sure is somewhere in the Atlantis Database and I am sure the equipment is on Atlantis somewhere. Or perfecting the Parallel Universe energy stealing technology).

2. If the sun started to go red giant like we saw in Last Man.

3. The Pegasus Asgard get fed up with them and try to destroy them.

Either way I would hope the would dump a ton of money or time into Atlantis Launching and landing.
            Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
            End of line.

Comment

However, a flying city would be the bomb!!! With the power levels at max with the help of Project Arcturus(revamped of course), and a entourage of 3 or 4 304s, they would be unstoppable
              "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
              "Yes, I was there."
              "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
              "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
              "No I was chus wondring"
              "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

Here's a thought. Let's say Atlantis is fully powered and someone is directing an energy weapon through the Stargate. Could flying Atlantis away from the solar system force the gate off?

Also, we didn't see an Ancient city fly that many times. Atlantis left Earth at the beginning of "Rising" in brief flashback. Then it flew away from Lantea to a new homeworld in a three episode arc (First Strike, Adrift, Lifeline). An Asuran city flew in "Progeny." That's only three incidents of seeing Atlantis or another Ancient City taking flight. Surely showing it once more won't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                  Here's a thought. Let's say Atlantis is fully powered and someone is directing an energy weapon through the Stargate. Could flying Atlantis away from the solar system force the gate off?
                  That's a good thought, I'm not sure it would work especially as the worm hole has already connected.
                  It may be that the act of entering hyperspace could disrupt the connection, but I don't know for sure.

Also, we didn't see an Ancient city fly that many times. Atlantis left Earth at the beginning of "Rising" in brief flashback. Then it flew away from Lantea to a new homeworld in a three episode arc (First Strike, Adrift, Lifeline). An Asuran city flew in "Progeny." That's only three incidents of seeing Atlantis or another Ancient City taking flight. Surely showing it once more won't hurt.
                  I guess one more time wouldn't hurt, I just wouldn't want it to become a regular occurrence coz it seemed quite magical the first time I saw it.
                  Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 19 October 2008, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Atlantis with more ZPM's is sort of like Voyager finding a possible way home. Every time they would come across some method that could remotely get them home, they would manage to do something to screw it up.

Every time Atlantis finds a fully charge ZPM (well, almost every time), they manage to do something to deplete it.

...and usually its Rodney's fault. I bet if Zalenka were in charge of the science team they'd still have almost every one of their depleted ZPM's.
                    That is just my two cents.

Comment

This thread will contain spoilers for the Season 3 finale and beginning of Season 4.

At the end of "First Strike," Atlantis had to relocate thanks to a satellite weapon. "Adrift" featured the city lost in space. In "Lifeline," the city was repaired and landed on it's new home world.

i whould like to see them go out to space and fight some hive ships

Comment

Actually I was sorry to see them leave the original Pegasus world at all. (Lantea?). We were beginning to learn a few details of the planet's characteristics, about the life there, such as the whale-like creatures, and the weather systems (The Storm, The Eye). In time they could have revealed more about the planet's distinct identity, rather than just using it as a place for a ship to land and take off from again. Think of Frank Herbert's "Dune" where a completely fictitious planet is fleshed out as real. They could have treated Lantea in a similar manner, although I wouldn't expect the same detail that was put into Dune. Atlantis was on that ocean planet for 5 - 10 million years. The city and the planet had a history together, and they discarded it just to facilitate a plot. What a waste.
                        Last edited by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper; 25 October 2008, 08:27 PM.
                        My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

It's a TV show about a massive city. They were never going to focus on the planet when there's endless story potential for the city itself. This is why I didn't mind them moving the city, since the city is what the show is about.

Comment

Is it though? Stargate: Pegasus would probably be a more fitting title for the series...

Comment

Atlantis, Pegasus, either would be fitting. Atlantis sounds better, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X