• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Essential Scripts

Visit the Books SectionDISCUSS ...
    STARGATE SG-1:
    THE ESSENTIAL SCRIPTS

EDITOR - Sharon Gosling

Here's a bumper selection of six of the very best scripts from the smash hit show Stargate SG-1, including introdcutions, interviews, and commentary.

Visit the Books Section >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2004, 07:47 PM.

does anyone else's book have one page ending in the middle of a sentence, or is it just me?

Comment

There's a couple of those, actually -- it was a printing error. (In fact, Titan tells me that even the proofs they signed off on were right, but the printer still managed to goof it.)
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Is this book really worth running out and buying? Does it have enough unique stuff in it? Or is it just a collection of lines to stories many of us know intimately already?

Comment

It's got complete scripts that give you a fairly good idea of the changes that can happen between the final draft and the final episode. It focuses on the development of the show. what goes into pulling an episode together. I thought it was worth it.(despite the hugely anoying printing flaw) but then, i'm an aspiring screenwriter so I enjoy just reading scripts. huge thrill for me.....
          then there's the cover photo....

Comment

LOL point taken. Thanks!

Comment

Does anyone know where I could buy this book? Internet, store? I'm in Canada.

Is it cheap?

Is it good?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

I know that Barnes and Noble and Borders carries them. It's certainly available in North America. Give your local bookstores a call and see if they carry it!

Comment

Originally posted by David
                  I know that Barnes and Noble and Borders carries them. It's certainly available in North America. Give your local bookstores a call and see if they carry it!
                  Local bookstore?

Hmm... It's just like the nearest McDonalds and movie theater: at least 80 miles south

I could have a look out for it next time we go to Winnipeg (which should be soon to catch all the after Christmas sales). Will keep out look.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                  Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

I'd say it's definitely worth it, especially for those who are interested in the craft of screenwriting and/or television production.

And I've only read (most of) one of the scripts so far, and learned plenty I'd never heard before.

Comment

What's the text that's missing from the copies with the misprint?
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

What's the difference between these books?

??

Comment

I think the first is an early concept cover of the same book. The big blue is the final published by Titan.

Comment

I just bought this one and finished reading it.

My opinion is that if you're interested in collecting scripts then it's worth the cash. I certainly feel it was, because I enjoyed reading the scripts and the interviews that form the introductions and conclusions to each one.

However....

I was very annoyed with the printing error which was mentioned by other posters. Around half the introduction interviews end in mid-sentence.

The second thing which I wasn't impressed with was the 'in-depth annotations' on each script, promised on the back cover.

In reality, these were few and far between. And the majority of them came down to simply telling me "This line was cut from the final episode." or "This scene didn't make the final cut." Well, gee. Thanks. I could figure that out for myself just by reading the script and watching the episode.

It would have been much more fascinating for me to have been told why a certain bit of the script didn't make the final cut. And there are a couple of examples of that. Too few though to make that back cover promise a reality for me. I did feel quite cheated on that score.

The black and white photos, too, were a disappointment. As they're on non-glossy paper, they appear grainy and out of focus at times.

So if you're going to buy this for the 'packed with additional features' - my advice is...don't. You'll probably end up disappointed.

If you're interested in scripts on their own, however, it's a good buy. And the interviews with the writers are interesting at points.

Oh, and be aware that those annotations don't cover all of the changes between script and episode. If you rely on them alone to note where the changes are you'll miss a few good lines and scenes that never made it to screen. So read everything.

Albion
                            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Okay I know this thread is dead but I couldn't help but bring it back. I ordered this book from my local bookstore and I can't wait to get it! Is there anyone else beside the people who posted who own this book? What do you think of it?

timdalton007

Comment

Working...
                              X