This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Space Race"...and a Stargate?

In "Space Race" Daniel mentioned that SG-1 was helping bring a Stargate to Hebridan. What good would it do to bring a Stargate to a planet that is not part of the Stargate system?

I know gates can be moved to other planets that already have them and all you have to do is use that planet's point of origin, but you can just dial it from/to anywhere.

The Tollans had to build their own gate and "hack" into the gate system since Tollana was not a part of that system. If they could just transplant the gate they could have taken the original Tollan gate with them.

Does anyone have any answers to this?
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

i think the general concencus is that when a gate and dhd are moved the co-ordinates lock on to the new location. As to how this is done i can only guess that if you dial a new gate with an existing gate say earth the earth gate woul back track the wormhole to its new location whereupon it can pass this information along in a corrolative update.

As for the tollans not taking theirs maybe initially they didnt want anyone gating to Ttollana because they seemed slightly zenephobic, but after going to the nox world they contacted Tollana and got them to build a gate so that the survivors could reach the new homeworld

Comment

It's also possible that the Tollan built their Gate with additional security features. If you can build your own, it's possible that the older models begin to look less desirable.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

i think it's like a computer network, you can plug more computers into it, you just need to dial the network so that it knows that it exists. finding the address back, that might be a bit of a challenge, but sam has said before that they can plug a planet's location into the computer and come up with an address for it
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

well the tollan built their own gate because...well because they can, they are way smarter than us. as for getting the gate off their old world, would you want to go back there? even if the whole planet wasnt destroyed yet it still wouldnt be a very smart idea.

Comment

It's not a very static system, It has to be very dynamic. If one gate sees the new gate's location, the change should spread to every other gate in the network within a day, correct?
            sigpic

Comment

Jonas said the gate was taken when the Goa'uld left (well, he theorised...)

Comment

Each celestial body (planet or moon) in the galaxy/universe has a co-ordinate that would corrispond to where they are in the galaxy. Daniel Jackson explained this in the feature film (the board room discussion). The Hebridan planet would have co-ordinates regardless of having a stargate or ever having one. Once the gate is transfered to the co-ordinates (planet) then the stargate would create the wormhole automatically. The good thing is that other aliens (gou'ld) won't know to punch in those new co-ordinates because they think there is no stargate there. (See Episode: "Exodus")

Comment

Originally posted by Odens återkomst
                  Each celestial body (planet or moon) in the galaxy/universe has a co-ordinate that would corrispond to where they are in the galaxy.
                  Actually, while this is true, in the series the Stargate network only seems able to lock onto a general spatial location; Daniel was able to dial out from high orbit using Earth's PoO (well, a PoO, since according to There but for the Grace of God Earth's designator shouldn't have been on any other Gate) in Serpent's Lair.

Of course, Kheb was supposedly one of a number of Gate addies in a particular system, so I may be wrong on this. The series is pretty good about not contradicting itself explicitly, but is not entirely consistent in its implied mythos. Essentially it's one system, one Gate, but YMMV.

But anyway; more than any celestial body, every point in the universe has a coordinate, whether there's anything there or not. In theory there's no reason you couldn't Gate to a starship in deep space, it would just be a devilishly tricky business.

Dialling out obviously needs a PoO, but it isn't clear what the requirements are for a place to have one. Obviously Apophis' ship in flight can't, but in orbit around a planet it can; maybe it's all about velocity relative to stellar drift. Obviously, all Stargates are in constant motion at unthinkable speeds (because they're on planets) but it may be that moving between the stars, even at sublight velocity, involves too great a relative motion for the Gate to form a stable wormhole.

Agh; my head hurts again.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

They couldn't dial out of Apophisis' ship becuase it was in hyperspace when they tried.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

SPOILERS FOR AVENGER 2.0

It wsa stated by Sam and Felger that the DHD's every thousand years or so, do a network wide update to realign the Stargate's for stellar drift. Skydiver was on the right path. The Stargate and DHD would "connect" into the network after establishing what six intersecting glyphs correlate to the location of the Stargate.

The Tollan would have done the same, with their "new" Stargate. I don't know about "hacking" into the network though. I think of the Stargate Network more like a Windows Workgroup. If you think of it like that, it makes for a pretty simple analogy.

As for the point of origin? I'm stumped!
                      "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Well i say this is Tv-Serie

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                          They couldn't dial out of Apophisis' ship becuase it was in hyperspace when they tried.
                          That's right, but is the reason they couldn't dial out from hyperspace that they were moving too fast, or that they didn't know the PoO?

They would have to know exactly where they were to know the PoO.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoidman
                            That's right, but is the reason they couldn't dial out from hyperspace that they were moving too fast, or that they didn't know the PoO?

They would have to know exactly where they were to know the PoO.
                            Yes, that is it. Their original PoO was invalid. And the SGC couldn't gate to them because their co-ordinates changed from the address of that planet, and the planet had no stargate (just the one on the ship which was originall obiting around it).

Comment

Also, Dr. Jackson was able to gate out from Apophis' ship, due to the ships being in an orbit over Earth. The Stargate's original point of origin was substituted for Earth.
                              "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Working...
                              X