PDA

View Full Version : Retcon-Rewrite

Ripple in Space
October 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Will they "retcon"/rewrite Universe out of Stargate continuity if the show disappoints?

Falcon Horus
October 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
And how will they go about doing that?

Ripple in Space
October 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
And how will they go about doing that?
Hypothetically... Episode #6, SciFi's just canceled Universe.

[Some event on the show culminates with Destiny exploding.]

[cut to the SGC]

:vala:: So that's my idea!

Martin Lloyd: I'm sorry, but that's the worst idea for a TV show that I've ever heard.

[the end]

Falcon Horus
October 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with Vala. Let it go boom!

Shpinxinator
October 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Seriously I don't understand why people are damning this show without giving it a chance

Falcon Horus
October 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Seriously I don't understand why people are damning this show without giving it a chance

What? I should praise it? Pfff... right. Ever read the blurb on the back of a book and went "meh, can't be good." and put it back. Same difference.

Besides underneath the joke RiS makes a good point. :)

Konman72
October 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
What? I should praise it? Pfff... right. Ever read the blurb on the back of a book and went "meh, can't be good." and put it back. Same difference.

Wow...did you really just advocate judging a book by its cover?

I think there is some kind of saying about that. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Ripple in Space
October 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM

You clearly didn't even read the OP, since I asked if they'd remove Universe from Stargate continuity if it didn't work out. I'm pretty sure that's a fair question when talking about a franchise defined by:
1.) 200+ episode award winning series
2.) 100 episode award winning series
3.) Multimillion dollar blockbuster film
4.) 2 #1 DVD Movies

I was wondering if they'd remove it if it hypothetically was canceled in say 6 episodes, because that would sully an overall stellar record.

jnadreth
October 18th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Well I will wait to tee Universe for myself, I hope they use the time to come up with some really good themes and make sure it is well thought through.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 18th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Almost certianly not. In my opinion. Even if it's terrible. Unless maybe its so bad that its canceled after like 3 episodes or something.

jnadreth
October 18th, 2008, 02:59 AM
A great thing about Universe will be that they will encounter so many more races so since they are constantly moving their enemies will change. Maybe a few will have vast domains but the series will be a lot like SG-1's early years where they could run into anyone or anything with a enemy lurking in the background like the Goa'uld used to be.

JackHarkness_Hot
October 18th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Hypothetically... Episode #6, SciFi's just canceled Universe.

[Some event on the show culminates with Destiny exploding.]

[cut to the SGC]

:vala:: So that's my idea!

Martin Lloyd: I'm sorry, but that's the worst idea for a TV show that I've ever heard.

[the end]
If SGU do end up getting axed after 3 episodes, (of course I hope not) then this would be the best way. :)

Falcon Horus
October 18th, 2008, 05:09 AM

Not advocating anything - but it's the same thing as reading the blurb/summary on the back of a book and going "meh, not interesting enough."
Personally I read the casting calls and the basic premise and I was thinking "meh, better things in the world to look forward to." - which is the same thing as say reading the back of Lord of the Rings and go "NEXT!".

I think there is some kind of saying about that. I'll look into it and get back to you.

I'm sure there is. Please do get back! I tend to mix up my sayings on a daily basis.

Pitry
October 18th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Will they "retcon"/rewrite Universe out of Stargate continuity if the show disappoints?

Who's "they"? I'm already pretending Universe isn't going to exist :D

Slyke
October 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM

OH GAWD. THAT WAS EPIC CALL KONMAN72. That is seriously the best come back I have ever heard.

Falcon Horus
October 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM
That is seriously the best come back I have ever heard.

Still waiting for the rest of his/her reply.

jelgate
October 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I have a feeling you'll be waiting a long time FH

Falcon Horus
October 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I have a feeling you'll be waiting a long time FH

I got time. :p

Thunderbird 2
October 19th, 2008, 01:40 PM
As far as Continuity is concerned, Universe's own premise makes this a moot concern.

Think about it - Unlike Atlantis, where at the start there was the distant promise that the characters might be able to return to Earth one day, but with no certainty of it, Universe is being sold on the idea that these characters CAN'T get back. Stuck wondering from Galaxy to Galaxy (how they will make that part work is beyond me) unable to get back to Earth. So unless any of these characters do, and say tell Atlantis or Stargate Command what is going on and what they have been doing, it has absolutely no bearing on what Dr Jackson or Teyla are doing in their respective settings. - Maybe thats part of the idea that sold the pitch?

Heck, even if they wanted to "tie in" characters from SG1 or Atlantis post the pilot, the only way they could do it is in flashback sequences or parallel realties!

jelgate
October 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I got time. :pI'll go get the coffee.:P

DigiFluid
October 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Not advocating anything - but it's the same thing as reading the blurb/summary on the back of a book and going "meh, not interesting enough."
Personally I read the casting calls and the basic premise and I was thinking "meh, better things in the world to look forward to." - which is the same thing as say reading the back of Lord of the Rings and go "NEXT!".

I can't quite decide whether this was tongue-in-cheek or not.

Shpinxinator
October 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
You clearly didn't even read the OP, since I asked if they'd remove Universe from Stargate continuity if it didn't work out. I'm pretty sure that's a fair question when talking about a franchise defined by:
1.) 200+ episode award winning series
2.) 100 episode award winning series
3.) Multimillion dollar blockbuster film
4.) 2 #1 DVD Movies

I was wondering if they'd remove it if it hypothetically was canceled in say 6 episodes, because that would sully an overall stellar record.

Oh no no no I was saying anything against the OP I was commenting on those who DO damn the show before it airs

Shpinxinator
October 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I got time. :p

*raises hand* If I may? I'll give a come back in his/her stead...

Reading a summery of a book on the back of a cover and choosing to read that book based on that alone is at worst picky to the point of supreme silliness and at best intellectually lazy...you can't judge a story by a few lines nor a character by a very rough casting call...

also...you father smells of elderberries...AND your so unhip its a wonder your bum doesn't fall off

knowles2
October 20th, 2008, 04:10 AM
As far as Continuity is concerned, Universe's own premise makes this a moot concern.

Think about it - Unlike Atlantis, where at the start there was the distant promise that the characters might be able to return to Earth one day, but with no certainty of it, Universe is being sold on the idea that these characters CAN'T get back. Stuck wondering from Galaxy to Galaxy (how they will make that part work is beyond me) unable to get back to Earth. So unless any of these characters do, and say tell Atlantis or Stargate Command what is going on and what they have been doing, it has absolutely no bearing on what Dr Jackson or Teyla are doing in their respective settings. - Maybe thats part of the idea that sold the pitch?

Heck, even if they wanted to "tie in" characters from SG1 or Atlantis post the pilot, the only way they could do it is in flashback sequences or parallel realties!

Come on people, bit of creativity please.

We know that their is intergalactic communication technologies around. We know the ancients had that capabilities before they left their own galaxy (ori galaxy). They can link that technology which Sam did manage to reverse some of it, at least she built a receiver. So just extend it and say Destiny have a intergalactic communication system that allows SGC to receive data bursts from them.
Eventually this technology could be shown to developed into real time two way communication system and that combine Asgard holographic technology and that gives you away to bring back SGA and SG1 characters .

To be honest through I do not really want them appearing in the show. I want it to remain independent of past characters. Plus given the younger cast I doubt they will grown ups around telling them when to go to bed or not to press that big red button which says do not press along the top of it.

As to what happens if the show fails, looked at what happen with Stargate infinity, no one anywhere involve in the running of the Stargate franchise admit their involvement with that series. And know one ever talks about it, it virtually forbidden to talk about it on these forums.

jnadreth
October 20th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Like I said before-No bloody way of going home

jenks
October 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM

No it's not. It's the equivalent of reading the blurb of a book, going "meh" and then never shutting up about how crap that book would have been despite having never read it.

Falcon Horus
October 20th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I can't quite decide whether this was tongue-in-cheek or not.

It was the first book that came to mind as I was searching for an example. it happened to be in my line of sight.

*raises hand* If I may? I'll give a come back in his/her stead...

Thank you.

Reading a summery of a book on the back of a cover and choosing to read that book based on that alone is at worst picky to the point of supreme silliness and at best intellectually lazy...you can't judge a story by a few lines nor a character by a very rough casting call...

And yet, nobody cares if we 'judge the book by its cover/summary'. But judge a series on its casting call/summary and the whole place is in an uproar. :p And yet, it's the same thing (as I said in my original post).

also...you father smells of elderberries...AND your so unhip its a wonder your bum doesn't fall off

*snort*

Shpinxinator
October 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM
And yet, nobody cares if we 'judge the book by its cover/summary'. But judge a series on its casting call/summary and the whole place is in an uproar. :p And yet, it's the same thing (as I said in my original post).

The difference being...Stargate has become somewhat of an endangered species... SG1 is nothing more now then the possibility of a couple movies a year if that same for SGA...Universe is the hope of Stargate, so it needs support at least in the beginning

*snort*
...touche

Falcon Horus
October 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
The difference being...Stargate has become somewhat of an endangered species... SG1 is nothing more now then the possibility of a couple movies a year if that same for SGA...Universe is the hope of Stargate, so it needs support at least in the beginning

Endangered species should be protected from going extinct... Let's make sure we have some samples in a library to make sure we can keep it alive. There must be a zoo somewhere who is willing to set up a breeding program for it.

Shpinxinator
October 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Endangered species should be protected from going extinct... Let's make sure we have some samples in a library to make sure we can keep it alive. There must be a zoo somewhere who is willing to set up a breeding program for it.

The problem is breeding...we can raise the program in captivity but no one will let it breed.

Falcon Horus
October 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
The problem is breeding...we can raise the program in captivity but no one will let it breed.

Then there must be something wrong with the species... is it maybe incapable of doing so?

In that case, we need to rewrite its DNA first. :p

Shpinxinator
October 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
The DNA isn't the problem the environment is

Falcon Horus
October 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM
The DNA isn't the problem the environment is

Oh... polution! That's not good...

jelgate
October 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM
That all depends on the source of pollution;)

Falcon Horus
October 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
That all depends on the source of pollution;)

Is it (wo)man-made?

Shpinxinator
October 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Mgm!

Falcon Horus
October 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Mgm!

:lol:

unluckynumber11
October 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM

...touche

if i may, Stargate: Universe: A NEW HOPE :p

Falcon Horus
October 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
if i may, Stargate: Universe: A NEW HOPE :p

Drop the Stargate - they don't need that anymore.

Universe: A New Hope

How about that? It doesn't even sound half bad. :p

Ripple in Space
October 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Oh no no no I was saying anything against the OP I was commenting on those who DO damn the show before it airs

My mistake. But to be fair to everyone, I'll watch it, but come on, it doesn't sound nearly as promising as the franchise's past endeavors.

SG-1 came out of a respectably successful Huge Summer Movie, and was starring the already well know RDA.

The casting call for Universe sounded like a WB angsty mid-90s drama.

Shpinxinator
October 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
My mistake. But to be fair to everyone, I'll watch it, but come on, it doesn't sound nearly as promising as the franchise's past endeavors.

SG-1 came out of a respectably successful Huge Summer Movie, and was starring the already well know RDA.

The casting call for Universe sounded like a WB angsty mid-90s drama.

I will admit thats how it sounds but I for one to give it a chance

Quadhelix
October 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure about this, as the concept does seem to have some promise. It has something that Red Dwarf, Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy, and I believe Lost in Space had that Star Trek: Voyager and Season 1 Stargate: Atlantis lacked, namely, the virtual guarantee that the characters are never going to see their home again. It actually reminds me of something that comes up when I think about The Daedalus Variations: forever drifting through alien worlds, unable to return home.

As for the youth of the main cast, that opens up interesting possibilities because, as many of the character profile point out, these people are in way, way over their heads and are in no way equipped to deal with what is happening, so it provides opportunities for some high tension storytelling.

ToasterOnFire
October 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Stealing FH's analogy, say I read a few books by a particular author and like those books. Then new books come out by said author, I read them, and I'm disappointed because the author has changed their style or otherwise gone down the tank with superficial characters, poor stories, etc. I have a hard time getting through those books, some I don't even bother finishing.

Now a new book is out by the same author. It has all the early implications of being more like their newer books that I don't like instead of the older ones that I did. Doesn't it make sense that it would take a lot to compel me to pick it up and read it?

Tri_rule
October 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM

No.... Only the Fans in their ''Infinite Wisdom'' Would Do such a thing...