• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Morpheus Factor

Visit the Books SectionDISCUSS ...
    THE MORPHEUS FACTOR
    AUTHOR - Ashley McConnell

SG-1 encounters a seemingly friendly alien race, but after a short stay on their planet find themselves experiencing disturbing hallucinations.

Visit the Books Section >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2004, 07:50 PM.

I've heard/have the suspicion that the SG novels of McConnell and McCay (pre-Fandemonium series) aren't exactly on the same level as the more recent books.

The usual TV novelisations? Stargate Lite? Designed more for the teen market and so lacking in any real depth in plot or characterisation?

Is that a fair assessment? Or have I got the wrong idea entirely?

Anyone out there who's read them want to give me an opinion on whether they're worth shelling out cash on?

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I found this book just insanely weird

I can't remember much of it
      Except that I read it and put it down and went "what the?"

Comment

I disliked this book very much. The plot wasn't interesting and the characters were way off. Out of the McConnell books this is the only one I hate. Her other novels were good and close to character.

As for the McCay books, they are totally different from SG1. His novels are an off-shoot of the original Stargate novel. He tries to stay within the original characters, but misses. In some parts, he's captured the original Daniel, but his Jack is an older Jack in my opinion. There's very little Jack in all but the last novel. My best description of his novels is the word 'raw'. Not very likeable characters. Hated what he did with the Daniel/Shar'e relationship. The worse novel in my opinion is his last one. The nickname for the evil aliens is "Pussies". That alone distracted me throughout the novel.

Comment

I dont' care for any of ashley mcconnell's books. None of them are what i'd call 'good'

to be fair to her, she was given the assignment with zero support from mgm. she had to go online to do her character research. she had to get copies of the eps to watch from fans. she had a crappy editor (amanda carter anyone????)

they were slip shod at best.

and, unfortunately, their lack luster nature is one reason it's taken so long to get another novel line going. It didnt' take fans long to realize that the books weren't up to par, sales sucked, and the line died

and even more unfortunately, the fact that ROC holds the US license and doesn't seem willing to give it up, means that those of us in the US aren't legally allowed to gain access to the, to some, better UK/Fandy books and are only going to be allowed these ones.

eh, that's what amazon.co.uk is for.

IMHO, ROC needs to take a lesson from fandy or they're going to have a stellar lack of success
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yowsa. Doesn't sound good. Thanks for the intel, guys. Pretty much what I expected. Guess I'll just save up the pennies for Fandemonium then. <G>

I just hope that Matter of Honour II comes out early in 2005!

Albion
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I will read anything on any topic but this was rubbish.
              jan t
              jan t

Comment

Working...
              X