Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloaking...

OK...somethings been bothering me...

In "The Shroud" dialogue is exchanged which implies that it takes a ZPM to power a cloak on an earth battle cruiser....
    DANIEL
    I was afraid of that. Adria must have anticipated my plan.

O'NEILL
    They're gonna detect us.

DANIEL
    We're cloaked.

[O'Neill does a double-take.]

O'NEILL
    This ship doesn't have that.

DANIEL
    It does now. Having a ZPM helps.

So wait wait wait...does this mean having enough power creates new ship systems...or did the ship have the capability just not the power or... I'm just confessed because Apophis was able to cloak a fleet of ships without a ZPM and...yeah...I may be wrong but I believe a Ha'tak is larger than Earth ships.
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
    OK...somethings been bothering me...

In "The Shroud" dialogue is exchanged which implies that it takes a ZPM to power a cloak on an earth battle cruiser....
    DANIEL
    I was afraid of that. Adria must have anticipated my plan.

O'NEILL
    They're gonna detect us.

DANIEL
    We're cloaked.

[O'Neill does a double-take.]

O'NEILL
    This ship doesn't have that.

DANIEL
    It does now. Having a ZPM helps.

So wait wait wait...does this mean having enough power creates new ship systems...or did the ship have the capability just not the power or... I'm just confessed because Apophis was able to cloak a fleet of ships without a ZPM and...yeah...I may be wrong but I believe a Ha'tak is larger than Earth ships.
    There are more than likely a whole host of ways he could've done it. He could've cannibalised parts from one of the advanced systems (hyperdrive/shields) and converted the shield into a cloak a la Atlantis style.
    "You wanna run this ship?"
    "YES!"
    "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

Probably the ZPM helped, because power was not a limit anymore, he might have made a power inefficient cloak in the time he had and it could work because of the ZPM

Comment

Or cause of his knowledge from merlin, he was able to 'command' the ship to make the system...

Comment

well a cloak isn't much different from a shield. it simply blocks more energy weapons. including scanners and light.

he probably increased the power output into the shield. the increased power requirements of the shield required a larger power source.

Comment

Where have you been the last few years?

A cloak doesn't block weapons, if you know where the ship is or have a lucky shot you can shoot it down without any problems

Comment

Has the ever been a cloaked ship that got shot ever....at all?...ever?
              "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                Has the ever been a cloaked ship that got shot ever....at all?...ever?
                yea the cargo ship in redemption part 2 or was it 1, when they go to the planet with anubis's weapon and they get shot by gliders, they then uncloak and raise shields.

Comment

Originally posted by Moao View Post
                  yea the cargo ship in redemption part 2 or was it 1, when they go to the planet with anubis's weapon and they get shot by gliders, they then uncloak and raise shields.
                  Ah yes...right thank you

Comment

the answer is simple: normal battlecruiser dont generate enough power to cloak. clearly, a ZPM generates enough. if all power of a BC is rerouted to the cloak, its probably possible. but the Bc's are at their max for poweruse. cant do much extra. annother powercore for the 304's would do the same as the ZPM.

Comment

Then the cloak isn't really advanced, we know that even the Asurans can cloak small warships at ease. And I doubt they are equipped with ZPM's, so I don't know why we couldn't without ZPM. Though we might not be able to duplicate the tech, we should be able to power it.

Comment

the larger the object you are trying to cloak, the higher the power requirements.

the daedeleus and the prometheus are large ships.

i havent heard of anything larger than a like hatak having a cloaking device

nor have i seen anything about any of the asgard ships having one.

its always small ships.

of course now with the phase technology from that episode in S10 where they "cloak" a city/building indicates that is a much more viable technology rather than a cloaking device.

Comment

Originally posted by Murzin View Post
                          the larger the object you are trying to cloak, the higher the power requirements.

the daedeleus and the prometheus are large ships.

i havent heard of anything larger than a like hatak having a cloaking device

nor have i seen anything about any of the asgard ships having one.

its always small ships.

of course now with the phase technology from that episode in S10 where they "cloak" a city/building indicates that is a much more viable technology rather than a cloaking device.
                          What about Atlantis?
                          In the stargate universe its all about power the larger the field the more power is required. As the merlin/ jackson had rigged a system up to create a cloak he needed the power to use it.

sigpic

Comment

atlantis is ancient tech... not to mention they have a zpm or multiple zpms to handle the power for cloaking/shielding the city.

my point is the larger the object, the more power it requires and most of the gouald ships dont have the power to cloak. do even asgard ships cloak?

Comment

Well, the ship did not come with instructions and a list of capabilities. One would only know if the ship did something, by trying. In order to be successful, however, the ship would need enough power to perform the requested function.

So, with the new energy provided by the ZPM, if they were flying around and the person in the drivers seat attempted to cloak, it would.

Voila, the ship cloaks.
                              To be snarky is to be awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X