PDA

View Full Version : Could this be SGU?

JackHarkness_Hot
October 14th, 2008, 06:18 AM
This could be what SGU is like. No more hidden "easter eggs" from the latest episodes of Atlantis and 2 Stargate films to find any indications of SGU, no more reading between the lines, you know like that ending to "Stargate Continuum".

Anyway, I think some of us have a general idea what SGU could be like and I think it may go something like this : :P

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** :lol:

**You sure you wanna see this? You can click back right now!!** :lol:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0740.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0744.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0745.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0752.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0755.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0763.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0765.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0768.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0769.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0771.JPG

I'll admit, the lads are hot.. har har har! :lol: And yes it's from Stargate SG-1 - (10x06) "200". Also, this is taken as a joke, nothing more.

Have a great day! :D

stevencastelein
October 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
ooh hell no...that was the most awfull thing in 200

Mclean
October 14th, 2008, 07:33 AM
200 was a waste of air time IMO!

:jack:

Naonak
October 14th, 2008, 07:33 AM
http://adamncopeland.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/19f4a676aeff836d450cffc7c4d22ca9721e0250.jpg

McgillionFan
October 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM
oh...

I don't mean to be rude but I hope it's not like that. It would be so weird if Stargate was like that and i think i'd find it hard to get used to lol.

stargatelvr
October 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
200 was a waste of air time IMO!

:jack:

No it wasn't!!! I loved 200 it had me in fits of laughter the entire time!

I_haz_a_Cookie
October 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
i cringe everytime i see those images form 200

Aryk Celestis
October 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Nearly every scene in "200" was made of epic win. No offense to anyone, but I just can't understand why others wouldn't like this episode, except if you're without any sense of humor (which I doubt). It parodied so many things in Stargate and other sci-fi series, just to catch every nod to some TV series is fun.

That scene was one of the best for it's mocking of shows like 'The O.C.'

Unfortunately, I am indeed worried that SGU will turn out to be quite similiar to it. Before Atlantis's cancellation, I was pretty excited about SGU (and I still quite like the concept as long as they try to stay fresh), but the 'aimed at younger audiences' and the descriptions and ages of the characters turned me off completely. TPTB will have to pull off something amazing in the pilot to make me watch this show.

LostCityGuardian
October 14th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Can we stop with the younger audience thing???

We know too little to make any calls. All we know is that statement, and in the context of Stargate it is hugely ambiguous. When the average age of the viewers of SGA is over 40, a show targeted at 30 year olds would be aimed at a younger audience. I doubt very much whether it will be like 200. 200 wasn't aimed at a younger audience, it was a pisstake - view it in that light.

JackHarkness_Hot
October 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I too thought "200" was funny, cos at the back of my mind I knew somehow they were just parodies but with upcoming SGU and fears I thought, "Could this be? Could this be it?" So I simply had to make a topic with pics of this scene, for fun. lol

Of course, we won't really know if this is it but if TPTB are surfing this page, I'm sure they'll either laugh it off as absurd but equally they might go, "We got a winner! Let's go with this route."

LostCityGuardian
October 14th, 2008, 10:47 AM
let's go with this root."

Literally? :D

JackHarkness_Hot
October 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM
LOL, I changed it to the correct spelling. :P

LostCityGuardian
October 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Sweet, that makes a little more sense (the other was funnier considering the context). ;)

JackHarkness_Hot
October 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I bet! ;)

I hope they're strapping men on SGU, but that's for my own amusement.

TheHomegaMan
October 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Could this be the general forum reaction to SGU?

http://cornerstork.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/crying_baby.jpg

JackHarkness_Hot
October 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Ooh, someone's not happy here about this thread... ^

ROFLMAO!

Stormtrooper
October 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I like young Vala :D

GhostPoet
October 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I could almost envision STU like that.....and just about vomited in my mouth.

thekillman
October 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/TK_Grimmlok/sigh.jpg

this joke is RETARDED. OVERDONE. please kill it. please. im getting sick of this. how many threads? 3 directly stating it, 5 in combo with infinity, 2 "trailers", 1 "new team trailer", serious, KILL THE JOKE!!!!!!!

JackHarkness_Hot
October 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Oddly, I did think of Stargate Infinity but thought, "Nah, that would be a bit too young."

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a serious debate about the issue, we're just making light of the situation, please chill. If you can't handle stuff like this without going ballistic then... ouch.

Stormtrooper
October 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
What's up with the Picard pictures? :D Now I feel compelled to post this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

Unfortunately, Picard wouldn't stand a chance in SGU!

thekillman
October 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Oddly, I did think of Stargate Infinity but thought, "Nah, that would be a bit too young."

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a serious debate about the issue, we're just making light of the situation, please chill. If you can't handle stuff like this without going ballistic then... ouch.

look it has been done tooo much. too much. its not funny anymore

rsanchez
October 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Why didn't TPTB realize when they saw this scene that it was meant to be taken as a joke, not as a preview for an upcoming SG series?

jyh
October 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Nearly every scene in "200" was made of epic win. No offense to anyone, but I just can't understand why others wouldn't like this episode, except if you're without any sense of humor (which I doubt). It parodied so many things in Stargate and other sci-fi series, just to catch every nod to some TV series is fun.

I agree Aryk-- I thought "200" was hilarious, and each time I see it I appreciate it anew.

And I think people should lighten up about this post. I think it's funny. And truthfully, it probably IS what some of us fear for "SGU." Of course it's too early to know for sure what the writers/producers are going to do, but TPTB are the ones who mentioned getting a 'younger audience,' so it's definitely fair game for us to speculate.

LostCityGuardian
October 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Of course it's too early to know for sure what the writers/producers are going to do, but TPTB are the ones who mentioned getting a 'younger audience,' so it's definitely fair game for us to speculate.

But if the average age of viewers is 40, then targeting 35 year olds would be a "younger audience". Honestly, the "younger audience" part doesn't mean that TPTB are looking to target under 5s. We really have no idea at all of what age demographic they are looking at - unless anyone has a clearer idea than just the ambiguous "younger audience". If you do ... don't hold back.

JackHarkness_Hot
October 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM
True but in the world of marketing (a boring study it is IMO, for I hated it), age is grouped for statistical comparison purposes also known as demographics which are shared throughout the business from advertising purposes to merchandises and it can come in a form of this -

16 - 24
25 - 44
45 - 64
65 +

Or it could be diverse as well.

Serebii
October 15th, 2008, 03:12 AM
What people don't realise, is the younger audience that they're aiming for actually wants dark and gritty storylines. The producers know that, its just the fans being idotic

JackHarkness_Hot
October 15th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Look, no one really knows what this series has in store, so why not just poke fun and have a laugh instead of the usual doom and gloom, with this series and the current economic crisis of recession going on.

ciannwn
October 15th, 2008, 03:33 AM
When the average age of the viewers of SGA is over 40, a show targeted at 30 year olds would be aimed at a younger audience. .

I'm wondering how many 30 year olds are going to be interested in a character who's described as every teenage girl's fantasy in the casting call. :eek:

There's also the question of what is meant by 'teenage girl' because teens run from 13 to 19. A 19 year old girl's fantasy might be a bit more bearable for some viewers than a 13 year old girl's fantasy.

We can't, in all honesty, poke fun at a TV show which is still in the planning stage. What we can do, though, is be silly about information so far which, presumably, was meant to get everyone enthusiastic but which seems to have had the opposite effect where the majority of posters are concerned.

JackHarkness_Hot
October 15th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I suppose about the poking fun but I do like the "be silly about the information".

Byza
October 15th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Unfortunately, I am indeed worried that SGU will turn out to be quite similiar to it. Before Atlantis's cancellation, I was pretty excited about SGU (and I still quite like the concept as long as they try to stay fresh), but the 'aimed at younger audiences' and the descriptions and ages of the characters turned me off completely. TPTB will have to pull off something amazing in the pilot to make me watch this show.

Yo what up wonderbread?? ....... That sketch has to be the most bestest...and yes i know my english is bad, it's purposeful, sketch, apart from the oniell invisibility sketch in 200. I'm sorry but that episode what hilariously funny. That said i'm glad atlantis arent going that way it just wouldnt have that effect.

thekillman
October 15th, 2008, 10:18 AM
im not angry, because of SGU or whatever. im utterly pissed off, annoyed, and totally angry because of the stupid ridiculous overused joke of 200. seriously

LostCityGuardian
October 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm wondering how many 30 year olds are going to be interested in a character who's described as every teenage girl's fantasy in the casting call. :eek:

There's also the question of what is meant by 'teenage girl' because teens run from 13 to 19. A 19 year old girl's fantasy might be a bit more bearable for some viewers than a 13 year old girl's fantasy.

Ve are still digging too deep into these character summaries. You're basing all that argument on the words "teenage girls". When the summaries are that short, TPTB are inevitably going to change this to some degree when they flesh the characters out - and we do evidence of big changes to characters in the form of Dr Ingram switching to Dr McKay. I think its just a waiting game until TPTB give us some more info.

We can't, in all honesty, poke fun at a TV show which is still in the planning stage. What we can do, though, is be silly about information so far which, presumably, was meant to get everyone enthusiastic but which seems to have had the opposite effect where the majority of posters are concerned.

I would say that it was the other way round. Rather than them volunteering the information to us, I would say that they were forced to reveal it early to stop all the over the top speculation about the series (that was effective, wasn't it). Ever since the initial document was leaked, there has been huge speculation about SGU. I'm thinking they were trying to cool that to a degree by giving us a little more meat to cover the bones of that document. So, on this basis, what we have currently been given is probably being hurt by being released before it has been properly fleshed out.

jyh
October 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM
What people don't realise, is the younger audience that they're aiming for actually wants dark and gritty storylines. The producers know that, its just the fans being idotic

"dark and gritty storylines"? Like on 90210 or Gossip Girl?

And LostCityGuardian, who said "But if the average age of viewers is 40, then targeting 35 year olds would be a "younger audience". " I don't think anyone really believes TPTB are interested in the 35-year-old audience. As JackHarkness pointed out, there are clearly defined demographics for TV viewing, and the most profitable by far is (supposedly) the 18-30 age range. My guess is, that's the age group they're trying to hit.

LostCityGuardian
October 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
And LostCityGuardian, who said "But if the average age of viewers is 40, then targeting 35 year olds would be a "younger audience". " I don't think anyone really believes TPTB are interested in the 35-year-old audience. As JackHarkness pointed out, there are clearly defined demographics for TV viewing, and the most profitable by far is (supposedly) the 18-30 age range. My guess is, that's the age group they're trying to hit.

I was being facetious. What I meant to infer was that the statement "SGU is aimed at younger viewers" is far too ambiguous to draw any conclusions about the age demographic that TPTB are actually targeting. I said it in response to the comments that suggest SGU is going to be aimed at a teenage audience (Stargate: 90210 etc), whereas I believe, as you do, that they will be looking at a 18-30 demographic.

jyh
October 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I was being facetious. What I meant to infer was that the statement "SGU is aimed at younger viewers" is far too ambiguous to draw any conclusions about the age demographic that TPTB are actually targeting. I said it in response to the comments that suggest SGU is going to be aimed at a teenage audience (Stargate: 90210 etc), whereas I believe, as you do, that they will be looking at a 18-30 demographic.

Gotcha. And, in reference to our conclusion about the likely intended audience, might I just say: I find it sad. :(

LostCityGuardian
October 15th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Gotcha. And, in reference to our conclusion about the likely intended audience, might I just say: I find it sad. :(

Sad how?

Certainly, I think it is disappointing that the profit imperative of MGM and SciFi is so blatant as to publicly target the most profitable demographic. It's pretty sad that they are that greedy, when SGA must have been reasonably profitable for them with its older demographic.

Do you mean sad that way, or just sad that it could be a different sort of show?

jyh
October 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Sad how?

Certainly, I think it is disappointing that the profit imperative of MGM and SciFi is so blatant as to publicly target the most profitable demographic. It's pretty sad that they are that greedy, when SGA must have been reasonably profitable for them with its older demographic.

Do you mean sad that way, or just sad that it could be a different sort of show?

You nailed it, LostCityGuardian: it's sad that SciFi chose to end a popular, healthy, profitable show, which still had a few good years left in it, to focus instead on a younger-focused show with (presumably) a similarly young cast.

To me, what would have been best would have been to renew Atlantis for one last season, plan a solid end-strategy to play out during the final year, and have Atlantis and SGU overlap for a year. That way, SGA fans would have been exposed to SGU and gotten used to the new show while still enjoying Atlantis. As it is now, a lot of Atlantis fans have an instant resentment toward SGU--whether justified or not--that Atlantis was sacrificed for the sake of getting Universe off the ground. (That may not be actually true, but that's probably the way a lot of fans see it.)

LostCityGuardian
October 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
You nailed it, LostCityGuardian: it's sad that SciFi chose to end a popular, healthy, profitable show, which still had a few good years left in it, to focus instead on a younger-focused show with (presumably) a similarly young cast.

To me, what would have been best would have been to renew Atlantis for one last season, plan a solid end-strategy to play out during the final year, and have Atlantis and SGU overlap for a year. That way, SGA fans would have been exposed to SGU and gotten used to the new show while still enjoying Atlantis. As it is now, a lot of Atlantis fans have an instant resentment toward SGU--whether justified or not--that Atlantis was sacrificed for the sake of getting Universe off the ground. (That may not be actually true, but that's probably the way a lot of fans see it.)

And, of course, while I would love to see SGU to succeed, we have to face the possibility that it could flop. If SGA had received one more season, it would have been in place to continue as a Stargate presence on TV if SGU didn't work. It did seem a little shortsighted to drop SGA and put all of the onus on SGU to succeed from season 1. Of course, it would have been difficult to write and make 40 episodes as well as a film (third SG1), but of course they did 40 episodes for three seasons. Of course, the real cynic in me says that MGM canned SGA because they saw that a film could be potentially more profitable than a sixth season.

ciannwn
October 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Ve are still digging too deep into these character summaries. You're basing all that argument on the words "teenage girls". When the summaries are that short, TPTB are inevitably going to change this to some degree when they flesh the characters out - and we do evidence of big changes to characters in the form of Dr Ingram switching to Dr McKay. I think its just a waiting game until TPTB give us some more info.

Some people, myself included, find it fun to speculate on what was going through TPTB's minds when they wrote that short summary. They must have been thinking something. :)

So, on this basis, what we have currently been given is probably being hurt by being released before it has been properly fleshed out.

Maybe it would have been better if they hadn't mentioned SGU at all until things had been properly fleshed out. :)

LostCityGuardian
October 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Some people, myself included, find it fun to speculate on what was going through TPTB's minds when they wrote that short summary. They must have been thinking something. :)

I guess so. But who knows? Maybe the summary reflects accurately what they want for the show. But its just as likely that its either been misinterpreted by us on Gateworld (as JM would seem to suggest and he knows more of the facts), or it will be subject to significant change and was only thrown out to pacify the angst amongst fandom.

Or, or course, TPTB could just be taking the piss with it and watching us tie ourselves into knots over it. ;)

Maybe it would have been better if they hadn't mentioned SGU at all until things had been properly fleshed out. :)

That would probably have been a better call, in hindsight.

JackHarkness_Hot
October 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Or, or course, TPTB could just be taking the piss with it and watching us tie ourselves into knots over it. ;)

Probably, lol.