This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovecraft in SGU

I think it would be awesome so somehow tie in the Cthulhu Mythos somehow...I have no idea how but I think that would be so awesome
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

I disagree. But I'm probably wrong.
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Colour out of space seems like a good alien threat. A pervasive grey death that infects entire worlds killing most things and mutating others into ghastly forms.

Eyah eyah cuthlhu ftaghen!

Comment

I agree completely. I wish a sci-fi show would use more lovecraftian elements. If they are exploring the universe it would be great to see some truly godlike nightmarish threats beyond imagination...not more dull biped aliens. Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath!!!

hell, my own stargate series concept had the idea of them finding abandoned ancient cyclopean cities at the edge of the universe and accidently awakening a race of "flying polps" which existed before the universe began, as well as the strange effect these pre-universal beings have on the rest of the universe with their own laws/physics....probably too "out there" for mainstream audiences though. I should really post the three page concept up somewhere though...
        Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
        Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Yes, let's tie Stargate into another fictional universe...

Comment

Or at least some based heavily in Lovecraftian mythos
            "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Unless Universe can come up with something original (which is hard to do, Original ideas don't exist), then the Lovecraft mythos would be perfect. Dark, Unexplored and Totally Alien.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                Colour out of space seems like a good alien threat. A pervasive grey death that infects entire worlds killing most things and mutating others into ghastly forms.

Eyah eyah cuthlhu ftaghen!
                Ooh kinky!

Comment

I kinda thought a being like Sovereign from Mass Effect (who is inspired by Lovecraftian Mythos) would be a good villian.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Folks have been clamoring for Lovecraftian stuff in Stargate since the days of SG-1. I used to be one of them; even wrote a crossover-ish fanfic.

Now, however... I think it's a subject best left alone. The Cthulhu mythos is too easy to get wrong, as legions of cheesetastic movies prove, and I doubt TPTB would be up to the task of doing it right when they keep screwing up their own stuff all the time. I'm to the point where I'd rather see no Cthluhu than to see it done badly, which means TPTB are out of the picture. LOL!

Comment

I don't think we need to actually see Cthulhu. But there have been many versions of beings that sound similar and seem similar.

Warcraft's "Old Gods" are based on Lovecraft's beings. There was a character called "C'thun."

Justice League Unlimited had an apparently godlike being that was "Great Old One", called "Ikthultu"

I thought they all worked in the story fine. And came across as effective enemies to the good guys, without seeming absurd.
                      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Yeah, but we're talking about Stargate's writers, here. Do you seriously think they'd be able to pull off a Cthulhu-esque storyline without making it a complete embarrassment?

Comment

I can't say I'm intimately familiar with Lovecraftian Fiction, but I am more familiar with beings, based on some of its concepts. It can't be too difficult to some manner of frighteningly alien and unfathomably powerful monstrosity. At the end of the day it wouldn't even need to be much like like Cthulhu visually.

As I mentioned before, someone like "Sovereign" would work well and doesn't exactly seem to be beyond what I imagine the Stargate writers would be capable of.

An Example *Mass Effect Spoilers*
                          Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 14 October 2008, 06:12 PM.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I agree with a Sovereign like being but I would like to see something that's not Man (or Alien) made. Something living maybe not even sentient but a being whose very nature is pure evil

Comment

i would say a situation like in call of cthulu would be bad, but i like the idea of that story about the antarctic expidition where they run across the old city would work well.

Comment

Working...
                              X