Possable idea about shield strenghs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possable idea about shield strenghs

I have a possible idea about shield strengh and how in episodes they can go "Shields down to X percent" Think of the shield as a sphere with layers crossed over them in an overlaying fashion. So this could be a reason and Ori weapon can destroy an Hatak in one shot but a 304 in three shots. The Asgard generator creates say ten layers but the gou'ald creates only 3 or something. Now am I crazy or am I on to something here...
    This isn't Atlantis?
    I don't think so.
    If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

Definitely crazy.
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

crazy
      Visit my Website

Comment

incorrect

Comment

Crazy and incorrect

Comment

Well I guess thats it then I'm ten cents short of a happy meal
            This isn't Atlantis?
            I don't think so.
            If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

Comment

They would have mentioned the layers, like:

We lost three layer of our shields!
              Huh? Layers?

Comment

Shrek: For your information, there's a lot more to ogres than people think.
                Donkey: Example?
                Shrek: Example? Okay, er...ogres...are...like onions.
                Donkey:They stink?
                Shrek: Yes...NO!
                Donkey: Oh, they make you cry.
                Shrek: No!
                Donkey: Oh, you leave them out in the sun and they turn brown and start sproutin' little white hairs.
                Shrek: NO! LAYERS! Onions have layers. OGRES have layers. Onions have layers...you get it. We both have layers.
                Donkey: Oh, you both have layers. You know, not everybody likes onions. CAKES! Everybody loves cakes! Cakes have layers!
                Shrek: I don't care...what everyone likes. Ogres. Are not. Like cakes!
                Donkey: You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious.
                Shrek: NOOO!!! YOU DENSE, IRRITATING, MINIATURE BEAST OF BURDEN! Ogres are like onions! End of story! Bye bye! See you later!
                Donkey: Parfaits may probably be the most delicious thing on the whole damn planet!
                Shrek: You know...I think I preferred you humming..

Comment

All of the above
                  aka paddytehpyro

Comment

What I don't get about shields is how they drain, when Rodney got stuck underwater in S02E14 "Grace Under Pressure", the shields drain from a capacitor, which in the puddle jumper happens to be straight from the power source. The more strain you put on the shield (more damage you take), the faster said capacitor drains. So if an Ori Beam Cannon hits the Daedalus and takes shields down to "60%", wouldn't that mean the capacitor is down to 60% and sadly the cannons are shooting faster than the shields can recharge. Therefore, the only logical solution to that would be to have a direct link between the power source and the shield generator, wouldn't that give you an unbreakable shield until the power source runs out?

Comment

Originally posted by cegrocks View Post
                      What I don't get about shields is how they drain, when Rodney got stuck underwater in S02E14 "Grace Under Pressure", the shields drain from a capacitor, which in the puddle jumper happens to be straight from the power source. The more strain you put on the shield (more damage you take), the faster said capacitor drains. So if an Ori Beam Cannon hits the Daedalus and takes shields down to "60%", wouldn't that mean the capacitor is down to 60% and sadly the cannons are shooting faster than the shields can recharge. Therefore, the only logical solution to that would be to have a direct link between the power source and the shield generator, wouldn't that give you an unbreakable shield until the power source runs out?
                      Doesn't it stand to reason that the Daedalus' power/shield systems are slightly more complex than that of a Puddle Jumper?

It's my understanding that 303 shields aren't actually bubble-like. I think it was in The Siege where Cauldwell gave the order to bring the damaged "forward" shield out of the theatre of fire which seems to suggest the shield is broken up into individual sections - forward, dorsal, etc.
                      "You wanna run this ship?"
                      "YES!"
                      "W.. well, you can't."

Comment

Originally posted by dropstitch View Post
                        Doesn't it stand to reason that the Daedalus' power/shield systems are slightly more complex than that of a Puddle Jumper?

It's my understanding that 303 shields aren't actually bubble-like. I think it was in The Siege where Cauldwell gave the order to bring the damaged "forward" shield out of the theatre of fire which seems to suggest the shield is broken up into individual sections - forward, dorsal, etc.

Yes the shield is broken up into multiple sections of the ship, so if you are taking damage from behind you can boost the rear shield generators, but the shield as a whole acts as a weird "bubble" like device, when you watch the Ori come through to the Milky Way, they fire at an X-304 you see a barrier stop the Ori cannon from penetrating the structure of the ship, that is the shield, although parts of it can I guess turn on and off if they need. So I guess you would call the shield on an X-304 more of an omnidirectional shield like so:

Unlike your common "complete total bubble shield"

Also, Ancients Shield, vs Earth shield, the Daedalus yes has a more advanced shield system but shouldn't they follow similar if not almost exact similarities?

Comment

Wow, even more lost than i was befre, thanks to the Halo analogy...............
                          sigpic
                          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by cegrocks View Post
                            this is how the atlantis shields are made. they are powered directly from a zpm, im not sure but at this time i can't recall ever hearing anyone say the city shields are down to 50%. But more like the zpm is down to 50%.
                            the Daedalus uses a buffer system cuase you need a lot of power to not need a buffer.

Comment

The Daedalus main power source, unlike a ZPM, may not have an output high enough to keep the shield sufficiently charged, which is why it needs a buffer. But the shield emitters to would also still be subject to strain from fluctuations caused by weapons fire, that could attribute failure regardless of how much power is pumped into them correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X