This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of Stargate???

When SG1 ended it was stated that the show had an 11th season in mind same went for SGA it was stated that there were plans of a 6th season, this is not exacly encouraging for SGU that is not being well recived with Stargate fans. It seams that when a show is popular the power that be want to send it to a movie searies. I know that I can't say too much about this new searies but from what I've read and seen as a trend with this franchise the show will last 2 maybe 3 seasons. I hope to be proven wrong and this show turns out to be as good as SG1 and will last 10 seasons but then againd SGA could have done that too and SG1 may have gone on for another 5 but they were cut off at thier prime. Will this be the end of Stargate as a TV searies? Will they kill another golden goose just to go to a DVD? Was this the shot that killed Stargate like ST: Enterprise did to Startrek? Or will this be the next greatest Sci-fi show to hit TV? As it stands right now only the fans of 2 acknowledged prematurely can say for sure after the show airs.

Stargate Universe has maybe only two outcomes from where I see it:

1. They get cancelled early on because the show lacks quality, depth, and the characters are cliche' or lame. So maybe around the first to third season.

2. They last around five to seven seasons because it appeals to a large and unintelligent mainstream. So the show may be doing really badly in our eyes but ironically Scifi & MGM only cancel a show when it's doing good, not when it's doing bad.

After SGU is cancelled there will likely never be any Stargate shows for sometime do to it's recent failure. Likewise, it would a be a long time for a successful remake of the series.

Comment

I think it will be more like startrek.... the 3rd series will last 4 I'm hoping 5 seasons or so.. Making movies for SG1 and Atlantis all the way.. Hopefully after Universe they bring about yet another series. I've always wanted a series that takes place after the stargate program goes public. That would last a few season, then it would die down with major motion pictures for a few years then be forgotten just like startrek.. That's my prediction on the next 10 years or so.
      I'm gonna miss SG1..
      Season 10, Simply amazing... Bring on the movies

The ori are going down!!!

Comment

STARGATE Programme eventually being made public would be nioce, considering all the close calls they had, the SGC can't keep it hidden forever. What will the people of Earth do once they realize we have been active out in the galaxy for long & done so much already (including allies, enemies, discoveries, etc)?

I am giving SGU a chance, but it does sound like it could go either way & I deinfately don't want 9021No in Space!

I sincerely hope this doesn't hearld the end for STARGATE as a franchise, I want it to continue on for ages, like BOND has, a never-ending Saga would be nioce (but pushing it I know, but I am an eternal optomist! ). Here's hoping for another hit!

Comment

But isn't part of the appeal of Stargate the idea that what is occuring in the show actually exists? If you make the program public then it takes it out of the realm of extreme possibility. I'd like to see a Stargate show where the Stargate goes public, but I'd want it to take place in the far future. Maybe a version of Stargate about time travel would work. This way it would stay connected to the present, but at the same time we'd be able to see a version of SG go public.

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
          -Dow ad

Comment

Originally posted by FightforAtlantis View Post
            Stargate Universe has maybe only two outcomes from where I see it:

1. They get cancelled early on because the show lacks quality, depth, and the characters are cliche' or lame.
            Didn't hurt Atlantis ;-)

Comment

Universe is FAR from "the end" of Stargate. It's being poorly received now for a few reasons:
              • It was greenlit the day after Atlantis was (VERY ABRUPTLY) canceled. Backlash, anyone?
              • The cast is mainly younger, giving an impression that the older audiences won't like it.
              • The public read the casting breakdown verbatim, which uses stereotypical descriptions as a jumping off point only. Having worked in the industry, the particular language used is normal, but has been misinterpreted by the masses as only being two-dimensional.
              • There is nothing to show for it yet. The pilot has only just recently been written, the main sets are being built, and casting has only begun within the last 2-3 weeks.

It's TOO EARLY to judge Universe. Yet people are convinced

Universe will only fail when the fans make it fail. All this negative buzz before a single frame of the pilot has even been shot is only going to hurt its final reception. Fan negativity will be a far sharper sword in the side of Universe than the actual final product.

And the structure of Universe has a built-in reset button. If the general reaction to a story arc or some villains is overly negative, then *bamf* the ship jumps to a new galaxy. New rules, new villains, new story.

Just please, wait for the final product before hating on Universe. If people honestly don't like it then, fine. That's a completely respectable standpoint. You watched it, gave it a try, and wasn't for you. Fair enough.

In the mean time, trust Brad Wright. He's been there since the beginning. He won't let this project suck. He's been wanting to do this since before SG-1 got canceled. It's not some thrown-together project even though it's moving rapidly now. This has been in the planning and concept stages for years.

(And if nothing else, MMO fans should love it as it'll surely give you a TON of more places to play in the Stargate Worlds expansions. )
              Bryan Patrick Stoyle

IMDB Page
              Breakdown Services Resume
              Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by StoyBoy720 View Post
                Universe is FAR from "the end" of Stargate. It's being poorly received now for a few reasons:
                • It was greenlit the day after Atlantis was (VERY ABRUPTLY) canceled. Backlash, anyone?
                • The cast is mainly younger, giving an impression that the older audiences won't like it.
                • The public read the casting breakdown verbatim, which uses stereotypical descriptions as a jumping off point only. Having worked in the industry, the particular language used is normal, but has been misinterpreted by the masses as only being two-dimensional.
                • There is nothing to show for it yet. The pilot has only just recently been written, the main sets are being built, and casting has only begun within the last 2-3 weeks.

It's TOO EARLY to judge Universe. Yet people are convinced

Universe will only fail when the fans make it fail. All this negative buzz before a single frame of the pilot has even been shot is only going to hurt its final reception. Fan negativity will be a far sharper sword in the side of Universe than the actual final product.

And the structure of Universe has a built-in reset button. If the general reaction to a story arc or some villains is overly negative, then *bamf* the ship jumps to a new galaxy. New rules, new villains, new story.

Just please, wait for the final product before hating on Universe. If people honestly don't like it then, fine. That's a completely respectable standpoint. You watched it, gave it a try, and wasn't for you. Fair enough.

In the mean time, trust Brad Wright. He's been there since the beginning. He won't let this project suck. He's been wanting to do this since before SG-1 got canceled. It's not some thrown-together project even though it's moving rapidly now. This has been in the planning and concept stages for years.

(And if nothing else, MMO fans should love it as it'll surely give you a TON of more places to play in the Stargate Worlds expansions. )
                Here, Here!

I've been a big fan of SG-1/Atlantis basically since it's started but just because they got cancelled doesn't mean I'm not going to give Universe a try. Sure, it might not be the best but personally I'm not ready to see Stargate end just yet.

Pro SGU
                / . / . / . /Amelia

Comment

Originally posted by luckygate View Post
                  When SG1 ended it was stated that the show had an 11th season in mind
                  SciFi cancelled the show, because it got too expensive to produce. We don't know why they promised Season 11 and then turned around and said nevermind. MGM wanted to sell the show to another network, but SciFi said no. We got two movies with a third in preproduction.

same went for SGA it was stated that there were plans of a 6th season
                  Was there? There were six-year contracts for the actors, but were there actual plans for a sixth season? Everything I've read has indicated that the show was cancelled so it would end on a high note instead of fading into obscurity. Ending on a high note also makes it easier to get movies made. Ultimately, the idea is to end on top, not as a shadow of it's former self that no one cares about anymore. The show ended for entirely different reasons than SG-1. I suspect that it also ended to make room for Universe, but MGM/SciFi/Producers won't admit to this. I suspect that it is true, but that they don't want to admit it for fear of a negative audience reaction.

this is not exacly encouraging for SGU that is not being well recived with Stargate fans.
                  It's not being well recieved by the GateWorld community. That doesn't mean the majority of fans and casual viewers won't like the show.

It seams that when a show is popular the power that be want to send it to a movie searies.
                  No. SG-1 was cancelled for being too expensive. Movies were made to keep it going in a different format. Atlantis was cancelled to end on a high note, but I suspect the real reason was to make room for Universe. MGM's been pushing for a third show, and the producers of Atlantis have been saying they don't want to do two shows at once. I think it's a bit obvious what happened. Neither show was cancelled so movies could be made. The movies are an after thought.

I know that I can't say too much about this new searies but from what I've read and seen as a trend with this franchise the show will last 2 maybe 3 seasons.
                  Based on...? SG-1 lasted five years on Showtime, five years on SciFi. Atlantis lasted five years on SciFi. If we are to go on this pattern, then we can predict that Universe will last five years, provided it is of good quallity.

I hope to be proven wrong and this show turns out to be as good as SG1 and will last 10 seasons but then againd SGA could have done that too and SG1 may have gone on for another 5 but they were cut off at thier prime.
                  First off, SG-1 only lasted ten years, because it moved from one network to another half way through it's run. Both networks only commited to five years. SG-1 ended in it's prime? I liked the Ori saga, but the show's high point was Season 8 when O'Neill was still the star, and all of the major story arcs came to a close. I would have been fine ending it there with the Ori saga simply being a movie. That said, I'm not sorry the show continued. While it wasn't as good as the O'Neill years, it was still entertaining, and the movie was a big payoff.

Will this be the end of Stargate as a TV searies?
                  Only if it gets cancelled prematurely. Then again, MGM may decide it was a fluke and try again with a fourth series and go back to a planet-based setting.

Was this the shot that killed Stargate like ST: Enterprise did to Startrek?
                  Enterprise didn't kill Star Trek. That franchise's demise was a long, complicated road that began in 1993 when Deep Space Nine began.

Or will this be the next greatest Sci-fi show to hit TV?
                  It doesn't have to be the greatest sci-fi show. It just has to be good enough to hold an audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

Was there? There were six-year contracts for the actors, but were there actual plans for a sixth season?
                    It was mainly due to Joe Mallozzi's blog and interviews, stating that Season 5 will end with a clifffhanger and saying something to the extent of "it will be followed up by either another season or a movie." Also, if my memory serves me correctly, he has said in some places that he was hopeful for a sixth season. I believe in his blog, when asked how long he expected/wanted Atlantis to run, he said something along the lines of hoping for 6-7 seasons.

First off, SG-1 only lasted ten years, because it moved from one network to another half way through it's run. Both networks only commited to five years. SG-1 ended in it's prime? I liked the Ori saga, but the show's high point was Season 8 when O'Neill was still the star, and all of the major story arcs came to a close. I would have been fine ending it there with the Ori saga simply being a movie. That said, I'm not sorry the show continued. While it wasn't as good as the O'Neill years, it was still entertaining, and the movie was a big payoff.
                    Very good points with Showtime. I think that's overlooked a lot.

(And agreed, Seasons 7-8 of SG-1 were it's best, IMHO).

I also wonder if SG-1 would have been canceled when it was if the producers had actually gone ahead and rebranded the show Stargate Command back during Season 9.

Enterprise didn't kill Star Trek. That franchise's demise was a long, complicated road that began in 1993 when Deep Space Nine began.
                    Blasphemy. I flippin' loved DS9. But "different strokes..."

It doesn't have to be the greatest sci-fi show. It just has to be good enough to hold an audience.
                    Amen to that.

Part of me wonders if the Atlantis fans worry not that Universe will be bad, but that it will be good, causing some indirect justification for canceling Atlantis "to make way for Universe."
                    Bryan Patrick Stoyle

IMDB Page
                    Facebook Page

Comment

All that remains to be seen is whether pandering to the so-called "younger" crowd will help or hurt the show. It could go either way. Folks could love the shallower tone, the emphasis on sex "relationships" and the youngness of the cast... or it could turn out to be so generic and derivative that it fails to capture enough of the audience.

Having Stargate in the title doesn't make it an automatic win in my book, but I've seen plenty of people say they will blindly watch anything "no matter how bad" just because it's Stargate. I doubt they'd be enough to save the show on their own, but combined with a fresh and unsuspecting audience it could work. I figure if it survives its first year, it'll survive to Year Five before the plug is pulled. Five is the Golden Number in television and Skiffy in particular seems to be greedy to collect those 100th Episode rewards.

However, the same tired writers will be writing the same tired stories and given the way the show is to be skewed it sounds as if they're going to be given free rein to exploit their worst traits. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more Tower and Irresistible-type episodes in SGU. But hey, maybe vulgar humor and loose morals are exactly what audiences want... in which case I shudder for the future of the franchise.

If SGU fails to take off I think the franchise could be put on the back burner for a while, but if it's a success... Well, the franchise may continue, but I doubt it'd be in any form I'd care to watch. There are plenty more who will, though, and it's on those people that TPTB and the Suits are banking.

EDIT: And for the record, no, I'm not upset about the cancellation of Atlantis and no, I'm not planning to boycott SGU... I'm just not gonna watch it. Derivative plot and overly familiar characters? Written by the people who destroyed SG-1 and Atlantis? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by StoyBoy720 View Post
                        It was mainly due to Joe Mallozzi's blog and interviews, stating that Season 5 will end with a clifffhanger and saying something to the extent of "it will be followed up by either another season or a movie." Also, if my memory serves me correctly, he has said in some places that he was hopeful for a sixth season. I believe in his blog, when asked how long he expected/wanted Atlantis to run, he said something along the lines of hoping for 6-7 seasons.
                        It sounds more like he was hopeful for a renewal than anything else. I was hopeful too, but that doesn't mean there was going to be a sixth season that was subsequently aborted.

Very good points with Showtime. I think that's overlooked a lot.
                        Thanks.

I also wonder if SG-1 would have been canceled when it was if the producers had actually gone ahead and rebranded the show Stargate Command back during Season 9.
                        The whole rebranding thing is silly. Changing the name doesn't magically make it a new show. It's still the adventures of SG-1 traveling through the Stargate each week. Those watching a Command episode, having missed the beginning, would think they are watching SG-1 with new characters. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of rebranding?

Blasphemy. I flippin' loved DS9. But "different strokes..."
                        I didn't say DS9 killed ST. I said 1993 was when the downfall began. Try not to leap to conclussions. Long story short, there was oversaturation by having two shows on the air. The audience was split between TNG and DS9, and then DS9 and VOY. The TNG's mainstream audience moved on to VOY while DS9 drew in the sci-fi geeks. Then there were the movies. It was all too much. Voyager's finale was the place to end it, because people were still interested. When Enterprise came along, people just didn't care anymore. Then UPN didn't care when they got a new president a year into the show's run. It never had a chance. You can't point the finger at any one man or production. It was a long, crazy road to cancellation.

Part of me wonders if the Atlantis fans worry not that Universe will be bad, but that it will be good, causing some indirect justification for canceling Atlantis "to make way for Universe."
                        I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Daniel Jackson - I was only being facetious about the whole DS9 thing. You make some very good points with that, which I agree with.

Regarding the "rebranding" I was mainly curious with how far it would go, if it would still be "Season 9 with a new title" or "treated as Season 1 of a new show." If it were the latter, odds are it would have lasted at least another season or so.

All speculation of course.

Regarding ShadowMaat's post; just because the ages of the main characters is younger doesn't mean at all that the show is going to follow the same themes of 90210 or The OC. That's what "shippers" are for in fandom anyway .

I made an example in a similar post about the "Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights" series of novels by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta. They treated the stories told in those books like any other adult (age-wise, not pornographic content) novel, but focused them on characters who happened to be in their teens.

Surely we all remember the "younger cast" clip from "200." If the producers can make that in pure jest, I HIGHLY doubt they would intend to try to make a show with that kind of content or tone in any kind of serious light.

And again, the characters have been misinterpreted to be "bland" because it was a casting breakdown. The industry finds actors based on type. Then the actors that are hired give that character life. I mean, imagine some of the breakdowns from the previous shows:

Daniel Jackson: Caucasian Male, 25-35. MUST resemble James Spader from Stargate.

Captain Doctor Samantha Carter: Female, 30s. Air Force Captain. Computer genius and astrophysicist.

Teal'c: Male, 20s-40s. Strong noble warrior of the Jaffa race. Great sense of honor and loyalty. First seen as a follower of the enemy, a change of heart allows him to join the fight. Please submit all ethnicities.

See what I mean?
                          Bryan Patrick Stoyle

IMDB Page
                          Facebook Page

Comment

I'm wondering, regarding Universe...there's of course a lot of negative backlash on THIS site, but what has been the response to the series among other Stargate fansites?
                            That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
                              I'm wondering, regarding Universe...there's of course a lot of negative backlash on THIS site, but what has been the response to the series among other Stargate fansites?
                              lol you would probs have to go to those sites to find out
                              Meh.

Comment

Working...
                              X