Travellers vs. Asgard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travellers vs. Asgard

So, I've seen people ask how these Travellers could possibly outgun and destroy not one, not two, but three 'Asgard' ships. Could I remind people that it has been speculated these ships are actually early-Ancient design, thus meaning they wouldn't be that tough to begin with.

These Travellers have to be one of the first Human settlers to have lived, followed probably by the Genii. They're technology can't be that bad, especially if they're capable of fighting the Wraith and Replicators on occasion.

Anyway, I don't think the ships the Asgard were using were their own design. They were either old Ancient ships, or something they got elsewhere. They didn't even look Asgard for starters.
    sigpic
    It's Probin' Time!

They aren't the same Asgard that we know. Its like comparing the Tauri to one of the transplanted humans, same origins but very different growths over thousand of years.
    sigpic

Comment

1) the travellers technology was good enought to survive against the wraith for thousands of years

2) performed stellarly against a replicator armada

3) theyve had access to and lived inside of an ancient warship for 2 years

Its more than plausable that the Travellers held their own against the less technologically advanced Pegasus Asgard.

Comment

The Asgard leader in TLT said that the Asgard had 100,000 years of civilization behind them. The Travelers have at most been space faring for a few thousand years. Even if these ships are 10,000 years old, one Traveler ship should be no match for them. That the Travelers destroyed two Asgard ships is degrading to the extreme.

So, I've seen people ask how these Travellers could possibly outgun and destroy not one, not two, but three 'Asgard' ships.
        The third ship jumped to hyperspace.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
          1) the travellers technology was good enought to survive against the wraith for thousands of years
          Survival through evasion.

2) performed stellarly against a replicator armada
          How so? We didn't see them destroy any replicator ships, unless you mean with the Aurora. The Travelers only lost one ship, but it took something like 3 drones. That they didn't loose more doesn't even make sense; the battle itself didn't make sense because it was just an Earth wankfest.

3) theyve had access to and lived inside of an ancient warship for 2 years
          The Asgard's 100,000 years of civilization trumps that big time.

Its more than plausable that the Travellers held their own against the less technologically advanced Pegasus Asgard.
          They hold their own because that's how the episode is written. The Asgard should be far more technologically advanced.

Comment

In the episode, the Asgard leader clearly stated that the Wraith took out all their ships in the first attack and that they had to retreat to an inhospitable planet to evade the wraith.

Obviously they lost their real Asgard ships thousands of years ago. The ships they were flying in the episode were just more heavily armed puddle jumpers and were no doubt of ancient design as they were able to pass through atlantis's shields in Part 1. One of the human technicians on Atlantis said as much to Sheppard in Part 1.

It is completely understandable and not degrading to the asgard at all. The Pegasus asgard got their butts kicked by the wraith and had to make do with the limited resources they had for thousands of years with and were out of contact with the rest of the Asgard. Therefore the technological development of the Pegasus asgard would have been very different and far more inferior than the rest of the Asgard civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
              Could I remind people that it has been speculated these ships are actually early-Ancient design, thus meaning they wouldn't be that tough to begin with.
              Speculation counts for absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowspark View Post
                In the episode, the Asgard leader clearly stated that the Wraith took out all their ships in the first attack and that they had to retreat to an inhospitable planet to evade the wraith.

Obviously they lost their real Asgard ships thousands of years ago. The ships they were flying in the episode were just more heavily armed puddle jumpers and were no doubt of ancient design as they were able to pass through atlantis's shields in Part 1. One of the human technicians on Atlantis said as much to Sheppard in Part 1.

It is completely understandable and not degrading to the asgard at all. The Pegasus asgard got their butts kicked by the wraith and had to make do with the limited resources they had for thousands of years with and were out of contact with the rest of the Asgard. Therefore the technological development of the Pegasus asgard would have been very different and far more inferior than the rest of the Asgard civilization.
                I agree.
                sigpic

Comment

The ships were early ancient ships. Thats why they were able to fly through Atlantis' shields. The asgard already said all their other ships were destroyed.

Comment

ye but still.... The Asgard are thinking far more advanced than the Travellers. There should be a kind of a big difference in the technology. And the ships were destroyed too fast for me. Nevertheless it s understandable that the Travellers have that good tech (as we know) "copied" from the Ancients. Anyway, as my result: the fight was over too soon.
                    Spoiler:
                    Mission report. Michael invaded Atlantis, tried to blow it up. We stopped him. End of report.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arrowspark View Post

I agree with this. Plus most of the Pegasus Asgard efforts were toward finding a cure for their people and not building powerful ships like the Ida Galaxy Asgard who had to fight replicators and keep the gauld in check.

Comment

The travelers' ships are pieces of crap. Junk material welded together. The fact that one of their ships could take on any vessel, Ancient or Asgard is a bit of a stretch. Their ships have never come into combat with that of the Wraith. As well, you can't count BAMSR. It's about as credible with ship-to-ship comparisons as Camelot was with Vfx.
                        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I agree with that, come on the travelers ships are crap we even got to see what they looked like and to me i think they used duck tape and super glue to hold the hyper drive together. The Asgard had 10,000 years to rebuild there ships and cure there degrading, there is no way possible that a traveler ship could take out even two of the Asgard ships. Its like the battle over Asuras the replicators had over 30 ships and they got there ass kicked by a dozen ships. If anything positive came out of this was the graphics and now since we screwed up the Asgard we might have a new enemy, to bad the show was canceled, hey they might return at enemy at the gate???

Comment

The travelers did better than the hives in BAMSR they took out asuran ships by doubling up on them though asuan auroras are only cheap knock offs. They are also the only ones who dont just stay put and get shot to peices they actualy use their sublight engines.

Their wepon tech is awsome look at ronnons gun that is travler tech and for its size its the most powerful thing going not suprising the big honkin space gun version is verry powerfull.

oh and they live on their ship all their lives so its no suprise they are the most skilled crew i mean look at the state of that hyperdrive and they keep it going.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

I understand the argument here, and I believe that the Asgard vessels should have been way more powerful. I know they were working on there degenerating disease, but they only rescently stumbled upon the Attero device. You would think during this whole time they would have been worried about the wraith and building advanced ships and weaponary to combat them when they did solve there disease issues.
                              You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Working...
                              X