Kaylee-Lite was the Mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaylee-Lite was the Mechanic

Something that slightly irked me, and from what I've heard I'm definately not the only person that took note of this.

The Traveler's mechanic was so Kaylee -- or, at the very most, a poor imitation of Kaylee. Atlantis' trying to imitate Firefly again -- I'm surprised it wasn't Gero who wrote this episode, given his previous nature to making fanboy-isms on Atlantis. And, I didn't pay attention to this the first time I watched the scenes (haven't bothered to watch the whole episode yet), but Irish Eyes brilliantly pointed out that the engine room on the Traveler's ship was also a rip-off from Firefly, albeit a lot less charming and a lot more pathetic.

Atlantis is not Firefly, producers, and as much as I enjoyed (old) Atlantis, it will never stack up to the brilliance of Firefly.

I thought she was a bit Kaylee-ish too, and the engine room does look a bit like Serenity's.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Everything I wanted to say and more. The mechanic was a completely uninteresting character, a far cry from the awesomeness that is Kaylee.

Comment

it was so lame.
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Yes because Firefly is the only show that had ships that look like a piece of junk
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't think that a mediocre 14 episode canceled serie can be used to monoplise the ideea of 'junk engeneering'. Now you will start a topic to say that all the movies 'spaceship' based are in fact cheap copies after the first movie wo came with this 'brilliant' ideea. As far as the things SGA and Firefly have in common, is just a shy-scared female character who take out the coolnes from more than 50% of the scenes in which she make her appearence.

Comment

Originally posted by elbo View Post
              I don't think that a mediocre 14 episode canceled serie can be used to monoplise the ideea of 'junk engeneering'. Now you will start a topic to say that all the movies 'spaceship' based are in fact cheap copies after the first movie wo came with this 'brilliant' ideea. As far as the things SGA and Firefly have in common, is just a shy-scared female character who take out the coolnes from more than 50% of the scenes in which she made her appearence.
              Ummm ... English please? Rephrase?

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Yes because Firefly is the only show that had ships that look like a piece of junk
                I never watched firefly for more than 2 episodes. But the "piece of junk" spaceship is pretty common in sci-fi. And it seems realistic when non-official/government real people start to get into space (to live or for some commercial purposes). Its like having a piece of junk car or truck.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

http://www.leavemethewhite.com/firef...lbum=1&pos=703
                  http://www.leavemethewhite.com/firef...lbum=2&pos=152

A few pics of Serenity's Engine room, and that girl is definitely based of Kaylee. I wouldn't say it was a rip off more of a "kiss" to Firefly/Serenity. I believe that's how Brad describe 200.
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

It's rather senseless to jump to conclusions about the writer's intentions so quickly. It seems to be a recurring trend on these boards to moan about how SGA has devolved into one poor episode after another.

I also saw the connection between the girl and Kaylee, but I never considered it further than that. In Firefly the ship was garbage because they were mercenaries/thieves flying around in a spaceship with the absolute bare minimum in parts and repairs. Kaylee was a great character, better than Keller, that's for sure.

But the Travelers are similar. They don't have a home planet (well I guess they built a settlement, but that didn't end well haha) and so they have minimal resources. It's clearly explained when they are first encountered.

So besides the fact that it was a trashy engine room and that there was a mechanic who was a young girl, who cares? If it had been a boy it wouldn't be considered a rip-off, so simply switching the gender changes that?

Even if the character was a representation of Kaylee, I'm sure it was intended as a sort of homage to Firefly.

Comment

Its a nice little nod to a great show.. no need to throw a hissy fit.

Comment

I'm not throwing a hissy fit. I'm making an observation, yo.

Comment

yeah she reminded me of Kaylee. hm I guess MG likes Firefly
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Hey

I thought it was cool! As soon as I saw the engine room I was like ala Firefly and then the we saw the mechanic and it was definitely based on Kaylee. I agree with Finger13 is that I see it as a homage. On the other hand I think that if the mechanic was a young genius boy it would still be Fireflyish.

But no one has mentioned the interaction between her and Zelenka. I LOVED it!! Zelenka comes from the science has structure side. You do XYZ and A happens. He can't get his head around the intuitive way this girl does it. And that makes some great scenes!

Comment

Originally posted by elbo View Post
                              I don't think that a mediocre 14 episode canceled serie can be used to monoplise the ideea of 'junk engeneering'. Now you will start a topic to say that all the movies 'spaceship' based are in fact cheap copies after the first movie wo came with this 'brilliant' ideea. As far as the things SGA and Firefly have in common, is just a shy-scared female character who take out the coolnes from more than 50% of the scenes in which she make her appearence.
                              Firefly was hardly "mediocre", and the resemblance went way beyond the mere "idea of junk engineering". It was obviously a nod to Firefly. A tasteless and very badly executed one, too.

On a side note, my suspension of disbelief regarding the whole Traveler business has died screaming in agony at the realization that they are represented almost exclusively by young attractive women. A teenage mechanic who "has been working on ships since she was six" was the final nail in the coffin. I realize that Atlantis has become a circus, but there's a limit to how much they can beclown themselves.
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Working...
                              X