PDA

View Full Version : A fourth person for the team

Major Tyler
May 8th, 2004, 10:20 PM
The SPOILERS say that SG-1 will likely become a 3-person team with Carter in command. I wish that TPTB would consider adding a new, young Lieutenant to the team, so we can watch their development throughout the season. It could be the catalyst to making Stargate SG-1 more of a fluid show, allowing characters come and go, without having to cancel it.

This formula works well with shows like "Law & Order" and "ER" and I see no reason why it couldn't work for SG-1. In real life military teams change...there's no reason to believe they can't make that work for SG-1. It worked with Jonas.

Of course we'll miss the old characters, but, assuming they're not killed off, there is hope to see them again. If the show is cancelled, we never will. I doubt it will happen, so all our hope now lies with Atlantis.

Elwe Singollo
May 8th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I really think Jonas should come back, i totally miss his character. I want to see more Daniel and Jonas scenes!

Major Tyler
May 8th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Jonas's return would be awesome! But I can't think of any good reason they could come up with to bring him back.:(

Bagpuss
May 8th, 2004, 11:42 PM
I like the idea of placing a new young officer with SG1.How about Satterfield,
Grogan or Hailey?They've got the prev background onscreen in "Proving Ground",to explain their transferral.

Another way to make up the 4 ,might be to send another existing character,such as Dr. Lee,or Major Davis?

I wonder if the reason behind the PTB seemingly leaving SG1 as a 3 man team,is to let O'Neill go off-world whenever necessary?

Personally,I'd much prefer him to be SGC- based,like Gen. Hammond,as I can't see Carter getting full command with him around to Second-Guess any of her decisions!

Mr Prophet
May 8th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Jonas's return would be awesome! But I can't think of any good reason they could come up with to bring him back.:(

Personal reasons. I figure he'll want to get away from Kelowna at some point, since his girlfriend was a Goa'uld and there's every chance the host won't ever want to see him again.

Elwe Singollo
May 8th, 2004, 11:58 PM

Well, the writers are creative, haha... If Jonas does return, it better be Cormic Nemec, not a different actor.

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Gah, it would have been interesting if the writers found a way to keep Jonas in SG-1, instead of making him go back to his planet.

Anubis
May 9th, 2004, 12:49 AM
That would be great if Jonas returned. If he did return, yes it would be interesting to see the approach upon how he made it back

Supreme Commander Thor
May 9th, 2004, 12:57 AM
That would be great if Jonas returned. If he did return, yes it would be interesting to see the approach upon how he made it back
Especially since he has a hot chick back on his own planet now...

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 12:57 AM
I am still dissapointed that Cormic Nemec didn't stay longer !

Dragonlor
May 9th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Add Maybourne to SG-1! :D

Mr Prophet
May 9th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Add Maybourne to SG-1! :D

Don't be silly; Maybourne's a Tok'ra!

shockwave
May 9th, 2004, 01:59 AM
JM and PM once said in an interview that they originally considered adding a fourth member, but the only thing he would be doing is standing in the background. So they shelved the idea, and considered sometimes adding a fourth person when the situation requires it. But the way the stories are evolving, that won't be necessary much.

AlphaBlu
May 9th, 2004, 02:43 AM
I heatily agree that Jonas coming back would make the show 100% more watchable.

1. We'd have another character to take our eyes and minds off the fact that Season 8 will be Jack-Lite-Lite.

2. More Jonas/Daniel scenes.

3. Teal'c will actually have lines beyond "Indeed" again, just like he had in Season 6 where he said more in one episode than the entire Season 5.

Personally I don't actually want Jonas back full time. I'm thinking more of a "And Corin Nemec as Jonas Quinn" style roll like Teryl used to have. I think if they're again building to a movie, maybe having him come back for the last quarter of the Season would be good, so there can be a legitimate reason for him being in the movie.

Say, out of the 20 episodes in Season 8, 5 of them had Jonas in them. Episode 8X16 would be about Jonas, and why he comes back. 8X17 would just have him there, back in his rightful place in SG-1. 8X18 would have a sub-plot for him of some sort (a B plot). 8X19 and 8X20 would be the final SG-1 two-parter, with Jonas as heavily involved as the other characters, all leading to the movie.

And it's about this point I stop taking these wonderful drugs I'm on, as I know that'll never happen... :(

BYE

Mr Prophet
May 9th, 2004, 03:39 AM
2. More Jonas/Daniel scenes.

And don't forget Jonas/Sam. I loved the Jonas and Sam dynamic.

the_fours
May 9th, 2004, 04:31 AM
i would have liked a fourth member, like the man said to make it more fluidic, hay if by some miricle there is an s9 they might add one before the end of s8

Matt G
May 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM
What I'd heard was that they were going to have a new Colnel to start with but Jack and he didn't get on and new team didn't gel. As a result - Jack decides not to bother with a new CO and just have Sam promoted to LT Col.

keshou
May 9th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Personally I don't actually want Jonas back full time. I'm thinking more of a "And Corin Nemec as Jonas Quinn" style roll like Teryl used to have. I think if they're again building to a movie, maybe having him come back for the last quarter of the Season would be good, so there can be a legitimate reason for him being in the movie.

I agree. A recurring character role (say 6 episodes or so) would work, they could develop a story arc that utilized his personal arc introduced in Metamorphosis or introduce a completely new arc that might tie into a future movie. Bringing him back to be a regular on SG-1 probably isn't feasible at this point, if nothing else because they're already crunched on the budget anyway.

And it's about this point I stop taking these wonderful drugs I'm on, as I know that'll never happen... :(

Nope, I think the recurring character idea is DOA. Corin has made a couple of recent appearances at cons and he's had no contact with TPTB. Of course they're still planning for the last half of the season so there's still time for a guest shot or two.

ShadowMaat
May 9th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Of course they're still planning for the last half of the season so there's still time for a guest shot or two.

Yeah, right. And I'll be appearing as the goa'uld Ma'at. :P

It ain't gonna happen.

Shipperahoy
May 9th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Yeah, right. And I'll be appearing as the goa'uld Ma'at. :P

It ain't gonna happen.

O.k. but if they do bring Jonas back in the second half of the season I want to see a picture of you in full Gou'ald get up posted here along with the name of the episode that you'll be appearing in. :D

ShadowMaat
May 9th, 2004, 09:44 AM
O.k. but if they do bring Jonas back in the second half of the season I want to see a picture of you in full Gou'ald get up posted here along with the name of the episode that you'll be appearing in. :D

OK, but I warn you, with my luck my scenes will be cut out of the final ep due to time constraints. ;)

And Jonas has to have more than just a token appearance in one ep. He has to have a multi-ep arc. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Jonas Recurring would be so great. I would love some more jonas/sam and jonas/daniel scenes, and i totally loved jonas/teal'c scenes.

DarkQuee1
May 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM
The SPOILERS say that SG-1 will likely become a 3-person team with Carter in command. I wish that TPTB would consider adding a new, young Lieutenant to the team, so we can watch their development throughout the season. It could be the catalyst to making Stargate SG-1 more of a fluid show, allowing characters come and go, without having to cancel it.

This formula works well with shows like "Law & Order" and "ER" and I see no reason why it couldn't work for SG-1. In real life military teams change...there's no reason to believe they can't make that work for SG-1. It worked with Jonas.

Because Stargate has never been ER or L&O. On the latter show, the characters have never been anything more than ciphers. Viewers know essentially nothing about them; the stories have always been everything. So, it didn't matter if you moved characters in and out. With ER, the pool of characters has always been much larger--meaning that viewer preferences were more widespread--and they weren't a "team", as SG-1 is. So, you could move one in and one out without losing the rhythm and without really disrupting the dynamic.

On SG-1, it was the four major players that pulled people in as much as the stories. If we are finally seeing the end of that, well, it's time to put the show to bed before it becomes a shadow of itself.

J.

ShadowMaat
May 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
If we are finally seeing the end of that, well, it's time to put the show to bed before it becomes a shadow of itself.

Excuse me?? And exactly what is wrong with shadows, if I may ask?? :P

My opinion is that it's a pathetically lame excuse. The need for a "balanced" team was the reason that Jonas was brought in during S6. Granted, with Daniel back the team has its "socio-political geek", but what it's going to be missing now is a seasoned leader. Don't get me wrong, I love Carter (or did before S7) and I'd like to see her try her hand at leading, but she's still more of a scientist than a military leader and especially after this past season I question her ability to make the kind of cool, logical, unemotional decisions she's going to have to make. The kind that Jack routinely made.

The team is still going to be unbalanced. What worked well in occasional eps is not, IMO, going to work in the long run. Only now it's okay that there's only three because gods forbid they should mess with The Team. *sigh* Just insert a particularly scathing and sarcastic diatribe here about what "Team" means and what happens when "outsiders" are brought into The Team and how much love, respect and attention to detail TPTB are known to give to such "superfluous" characters. And did I mention sarcasm? :P

Oh, and let's not forget that the four-member-team BS is also part of the reason Jonas couldn't stick around. He was superfluous AND one too many. Now they're gonna have one too few, but that... THAT'S OK.

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM
I still would enjoy Jonas returning for a few episodes throughout next season.

ShadowMaat
May 9th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I still would enjoy Jonas returning for a few episodes throughout next season.

I think a lot of us would like to see Jonas again. Certainly not everyone, but likely a lot more than TPTB are willing to admit.

bcmilco
May 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Excuse me?? And exactly what is wrong with shadows, if I may ask?? :P

I've tried and tried, but I could never catch one :p

but what it's going to be missing now is a seasoned leader. Don't get me wrong, I love Carter (or did before S7) and I'd like to see her try her hand at leading, but she's still more of a scientist than a military leader and especially after this past season I question her ability to make the kind of cool, logical, unemotional decisions she's going to have to make. The kind that Jack routinely made.

I agree. What I'm hoping for is an episode where the team gets into some situation and Sam makes a bad call, one where things go horribly wrong and she actually messes up and has to deal with it. THAT could be a great episode.

ShadowMaat
May 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I've tried and tried, but I could never catch one :p

That just means we're smarter and faster than you. ;)

I'd like to see the team screw up royally and have to deal with the consequences, but I'm wary of having Carter be to "blame" for it because there are a lot of Carter-bashing folks out there who would jump for joy at having "proof" that Sam sucks and can't lead the team. They'd villify her worse than ever.

bcmilco
May 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I'd like to see the team screw up royally and have to deal with the consequences, but I'm wary of having Carter be to "blame" for it because there are a lot of Carter-bashing folks out there who would jump for joy at having "proof" that Sam sucks and can't lead the team. They'd villify her worse than ever.

Hadn't thought of that... :(

Maybe if they made it a series of mistakes, where each member had some responsibility to the final negative outcome... It might make a good two parter...

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 03:17 PM
That kind of episode would be perfect for character development, and i love character developing episodes :)

Madeleine
May 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I don't want a regular fourth person for the team. As it is, s7 gives little time to Teal'c, and even Daniel gets underused. A fourth person in s8 would either get as short-changed as them, or be an excuse to carry on short-changing them.

An occasional one-off Guest Fourth would be nice, if it were a selection from Davis, Jonas, Jacob, Bratac, or Grogan (what? he's pretty!) Someone we've seen before though so that they can have a proper role in the story without getting bogged down by inventing the backstory an' all.

SaberBlade
May 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM
i wouldn't mind a 4th character added and although i would like Jonas to return, he made a good replacement for Daniel but i couldn't see him being a replacement for Jack.

i would prefer to see Jacks Clone, Grogan or Satterfield (Hailey is like a mini Carter so it would be similar to Jonas and Daniel), Major Davies or even Cassandra Fraser. i could easily see Cassandra signing up, the Goa'uld killed her real family and the rest of her people and now they killed her adoptive mother. having a character who wants to kill the Goa'uld and Jaffa would be an interesting twist to the show IMO

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Nobody could replace good old Jack, it would be interesting to see the 'team' being 'super' extra smart with Jonas, haha... But i want to give Carter a chance to be a leader, even though it may turn out weird or something.

ShadowMaat
May 9th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Nobody could replace good old Jack

The same was said about Daniel, but I thought Jonas did a pretty good job. ;)

Still, I agree that bringing Jonas back for that wouldn't be a good idea. A) He's even less of a military leader than Sam and B) It would seal his fate as a "fill-in-the-blank" character. He wouldn't be Jonas, he'd just be the guy they bring in to replace the guy who isn't there. What fun is that? What chance of growth is there? None. Especially not if TPTB continue their recent trend of character entropy. :P

epiphany
May 9th, 2004, 06:25 PM
The writers seem to have enough trouble writing for the 3 full time characters they have now, the last thing they need is a 4th regular character. If they really need something done outside the team's expertise for an episode, just bring in a guest character.

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 06:37 PM
The same was said about Daniel, but I thought Jonas did a pretty good job. ;)

Still, I agree that bringing Jonas back for that wouldn't be a good idea. A) He's even less of a military leader than Sam and B) It would seal his fate as a "fill-in-the-blank" character. He wouldn't be Jonas, he'd just be the guy they bring in to replace the guy who isn't there. What fun is that? What chance of growth is there? None. Especially not if TPTB continue their recent trend of character entropy. :PI wouldn't say he replaced Daniel, but yah... I don't know, i don't really care, i just want him to least come every now and then. ALSO, 'less military leader' than Sam, who said he was there to be the leader?

ShadowMaat
May 9th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't say he replaced Daniel, but yah... I don't know, i don't really care, i just want him to least come every now and then.

Me too. ;) I just wish I thought there was a chance of seeing him- REALLY seeing him- again.

Elwe Singollo
May 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Yes, i agree :)

Bast
May 10th, 2004, 04:33 AM
I think Walkalski Should come back from the dead and Join SG1.

Matt G
May 10th, 2004, 04:53 AM
You mean Kawalsky? Wouldn't mind the idea in theory but unless you're going to get him from an AU you're going to have to come up with a more realistic option.

SaberBlade
May 10th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Kawalsky would actually be a good choice. like Apophis, being dead hasn't stopped him from popping back up occasionally but off course it would need to be his AU version but since the original is dead there is nothing going to stop him from being pulled apart.

in the s8 index on the main site, J. Mallozzi said they were kicking around a lot of AU ideas for series 8. i could see it being done

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 09:21 AM
What about Ferretti? His fate's unknown. Last we saw, he was in command of his own SG team. Maybe his team gets wiped out and he could take over for O'Neill. :)

Mr Prophet
May 10th, 2004, 09:44 AM
What about Ferretti? His fate's unknown. Last we saw, he was in command of his own SG team. Maybe his team gets wiped out and he could take over for O'Neill. :)

Hey! You leave SG-7 (http://www.prophet.phlegethon.org/Fiction/SG-7/Call/call1.htm) alone. You don't see me pitching a tragic massacre in the commissary, do you?

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Hey! You leave SG-7 (http://www.prophet.phlegethon.org/Fiction/SG-7/Call/call1.htm) alone. You don't see me pitching a tragic massacre in the commissary, do you?

Oh, well, ex-squeeze me, I'm sure! :P

Gimme some time, I'll think of someone.

They could always bump Major Murphy up to Colonel and put him in charge. I mean, just 'cause SG-11 keeps dying, it isn't MURPHY's fault, is it? ;)

Or does someone already have Murphy's Law series? :P

crowhop
May 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Well, and not only that, old Harry would just sit around and poach everyone else's hot dogs anyway...
By the way, love the quote, fellow Browncoat.

Mr Prophet
May 10th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Well, and not only that, old Harry would just sit around and poach everyone else's hot dogs anyway...
By the way, love the quote, fellow Browncoat.

It's probably the line made me fall in love with that series. Hmm; I wonder if the Tok'ra have barbeques.

And Shadow; I have no claim on Major Murphy. You may wish your worst upon him.

crowhop
May 10th, 2004, 12:33 PM
My favorite was "We are all alone out here. Corner of No and Where."
As for the Tok'ra, they've tried to organize barbecues, but every time they do, they planet they are on is attacked by the Goa'uld and all of the hot dog buns go missing.
And when you lose your buns, it's all over....

Mr Prophet
May 10th, 2004, 12:55 PM
My favorite was "We are all alone out here. Corner of No and Where."

It strikes me that if I ever did write Colonel Makepeace into a fic, he'd have more than a trace of the Mal Reynolds about him; a disillusioned military man whose cause has failed him.

Elwe Singollo
May 10th, 2004, 02:06 PM
:) evilness

David85
May 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Jonus is as good as dead, so move on people!

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 07:15 PM

I'd like to see Jonas again. :P

So there. :P

Jonas, Jonas, Jonas, more Jonas.

La la la... Jonas should come back for a few eps, la la la.

:P

bcmilco
May 10th, 2004, 07:21 PM
I'd like to see Jonas again. :P

So there. :P

Jonas, Jonas, Jonas, more Jonas.

La la la... Jonas should come back for a few eps, la la la.

:P

As childish as that is :p ...
I'll second it. :)

Elwe Singollo
May 10th, 2004, 07:26 PM
... more jonas plz ... at least in the season/series finale!

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 07:35 PM
As childish as that is :p ...
I'll second it. :)

What can I say? I'm in touch with my Inner Spoiled Brat. :P

Oh, and I still want more Jonas.

And maybe a couple eps with Kawalsky, even though he's dead, too. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 10th, 2004, 07:59 PM
;) i agree

Shipperahoy
May 10th, 2004, 08:03 PM

Those kind of comments are not really very productive. Some of us live in a little land called Denial where we still belive that Jonas could in fact come back in some capacity next season. It may be foolish but please leave me my delusions.

Denial
80 degrees farenheit
Not a cloud in the sky
Visitors Welcome
Water's fine. Jump right in.

Elwe Singollo
May 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Yes, i'll still pray for the return of Jonas :)

ShadowMaat
May 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I still pray for the return of Luke, but that's probably even MORE unlikely... *sigh* :(

Elwe Singollo
May 10th, 2004, 08:47 PM
:) i'll pray with you

prion
May 13th, 2004, 04:35 PM
If they had to do a 4th person, I'd rather see a seasoned military person on the team, rather than any young person (as I suspect Scifi is still trying to get that 18-25 male demographic). Alas, Jonas does nothing for me, and I can't see how he could contribute to the team as his function, on season six, wasn't much different than what Daniel did/does.

Elwe Singollo
May 13th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I don't wish for him to rejoin, although i originally wanted him, but since RDA won't be the team leader nemore (reading from articles), i just want to see more of him now.

Silverbug
May 15th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Greetings all--new here but as for a fourth, how about Sarah? She could have retained some of her Gou'auld memories, enough to make her more that an archaeologist.

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 02:59 AM
if their was a fourth i think it needs to be military. if its a civilian then sam would be the only military person on the team which would cheapen her role as leader since their is no military personnel for her to lead.

Matt G
May 15th, 2004, 09:56 AM
It would definately need to be military. It's a bummer that they killed LT Elliot off in Last Stand really, he'd have been perfect for the role.

Crazedwraith
May 15th, 2004, 10:00 AM
It would definately need to be military. It's a bummer that they killed LT Elliot off in Last Stand really, he'd have been perfect for the role.
How bout Grogan?? He can get shot loads!!! Who wouldn't want him on your tream? whgen he was a knack for attracked non-lethal shots?

Or Satterfield so we can have Dan/Sat shippers?

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Or Satterfield so we can have Dan/Sat shippers?

no we have enough ship on the show. But im glad im not the only one who thinks it needs to be military

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I absolutely don't want a 'ship' within the team, although Oneil and Carter admitted they have feelings, they never got into a relationship, and i think that would be for the best, unless... nvm... period.

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM
dont fall into the trap of turning this thread into a ship debate, it seems no matter what the thread is about it can eventually turn into a ship debate.

Anyway on to the question at hand, i say grogan is good. as o'niell said:he is a fine target. he could keep the jaffa off sg-1's backs :p

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Really? I don't think that alot of threads become in ship debates. O well... :)

the_fours
May 15th, 2004, 01:26 PM
im just being caustious......maybe a little paranoid

Elwe Singollo
May 15th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Hehe... I guess i am too as well.

attosecond
May 15th, 2004, 06:18 PM
hey, one episode with young Jack leading would be amusing.

nugglebugget
May 18th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Definitly military.Here's a thought;What about "Hailey" from "Prodigy" & "Proving Ground".It'd be interesting at least for a try,although I'd have prefered "Elliot".

Mr Prophet
May 18th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Everyone forgets poor Grogan! Bring back Grogan, I say!

abydos 01
May 18th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I agree Jonas and Daniel were good together it really get rid of the rumors of bad blood between Michael and Corin

Bring back Jonas

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I agree Jonas and Daniel were good together it really get rid of the rumors of bad blood between Michael and Corin

I've never heard any rumors of bad blood between Michael and Corin. Bad blood between their fans yes, but between them? Nope. Not that I've seen, anway.

Elwe Singollo
May 18th, 2004, 11:57 AM
In many articles/interviews/etc, they both said they that enjoy working with each other. Where did anyone get the thought about them not liking each other?

Shadow2751
May 18th, 2004, 12:16 PM
What about Nyan from that one ep. He came back and stayed but hasn't been heard of since...

I say Nyan!

Teal'c
May 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Luke! SG-1 need a field chef! :P

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Luke! SG-1 need a field chef! :P

I can see Sam voting for that, especially if Luke promises to always have some Blue Jello Surprise on hand for her- in the field, in the cafeteria, in the bedroom- huh?? Wha?? Where'd that come from?? ;)

the_fours
May 18th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I can see Sam voting for that, especially if Luke promises to always have some Blue Jello Surprise on hand for her- in the field, in the cafeteria, in the bedroom- huh?? Wha?? Where'd that come from?? ;)

i can see it now sg-1 running from hoards of jaffa alkesh and gliders overhead

carter: teal'c use your staff weapon to provide cover, danial dial the gate, luke find out their alergies and then provide them with an evening meal and GET ME SOME GOD DAMN BLUE JELLO, thats an order

ShadowMaat
May 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
i can see it now sg-1 running from hoards of jaffa alkesh and gliders overhead

carter: teal'c use your staff weapon to provide cover, danial dial the gate, luke find out their alergies and then provide them with an evening meal and GET ME SOME GOD DAMN BLUE JELLO, thats an order

See?? It works PERFECTLY!! :D

Elwe Singollo
May 18th, 2004, 05:05 PM
:) Perfect

the_fours
May 19th, 2004, 03:01 AM
yeah, hell it would make a great spin-off to the food server diaries Those were funny to read :p

Albion
May 19th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Although I loved the arc with Elliot in Summit/Last Stand, I was always a little disappointed that such a great character was killed off so quickly.

Reading this thread though, it suddenly struck me that we never actually saw him die. Sure, the odds are that he did, but heck, you know SF and Stargate - anything's possible. Maybe poor Elliot was jumped and disarmed by some quick-thinking Jaffa (I'm sure there must actually be one of those around somewhere) and has spent all this time languishing in some Goa'ould prison. Well...you never can tell. That would be kind of cool. Improbable, but cool. <g>

And..erm...I'll bite because it's driving me nuts seeing him mentioned in every thread I've visited so far. Who's Luke?

Albion :)

ShadowMaat
May 19th, 2004, 06:58 AM
And..erm...I'll bite because it's driving me nuts seeing him mentioned in every thread I've visited so far. Who's Luke?
Muahaha... Luke is the guy who tried to poison McKay with lemon chicken in the S5 ep 48 Hours. I've been trying to turn him into a bit of a cult hero (if you have a loose definition of "hero") in a couple of fics which explain his much-more-important-than-anyone-realizes role on the show.

Food Server Diaries (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/6/foodserver.html) introduces him and Second Course (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/17/foodserver.html) picks up where the first one leaves off. It has a little bit of something for everyone, and it explains Sam's, uh... curious luck with men. ;)

KorbenDirewolf
May 19th, 2004, 07:38 AM
I think that they do need to add someone. Maybe not at the beginning of the season, but towards the end if they think they'll be doing another season. After all, what's the point of a "flagship team" if its not open to replacements.

Bakjuh
May 19th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I think there can only be one good replacement on the team and that is Lord Yu.

He has been and still is a leader and sure he may be getting old and senile, but that can only work as an advantage really since the team will just say he has always been a member of the SGC.
And should they wanna get rid of him, they can always use him as cannonfodder and find a new replacement.

You go YU !!!! :cool:

Jeff O'Connor
May 19th, 2004, 12:46 PM

He has been and still is a leader and sure he may be getting old and senile, but that can only work as an advantage really since the team will just say he has always been a member of the SGC.
And should they wanna get rid of him, they can always use him as cannonfodder and find a new replacement.

Wow, that's an extremely innovative concept. I hadn't thought of it at all. Considering it appears some System Lords are going to want alliance with the SGC I could almost see it happening...

Of course I'm jumping into this conversation late but I think I'd love to see Jonas back for an arc. I want heaps of character development; I'm not sure if it'll be possible with all the huge changes and obvious twists and turns to be made unless it directly affects a character in totality. For example, Sam's father's difficulties being increased with the Tok'ra is sort've fascinating to me. I want to see more of the Jaffa/Tok'ra challenges that are arising more than ever, and I'd love to see more Daniel-intense episodes. (But I'm just a fanboy.)

priornavalperson
May 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
What if there are different fourth members depending on the mission or story. For example, who would know best where Osiris stashed weapons and resources? :D Could make for an interesting story.

Mr Prophet
May 20th, 2004, 06:02 AM
What if there are different fourth members depending on the mission or story. For example, who would know best where Osiris stashed weapons and resources? :D Could make for an interesting story.

A sort of special guest star scenario?

Bakjuh
May 20th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Not sure if i personally would like to see a rotating 4th member everytime.
I'd rather have them take one of the other recurring actors as the 4th member. Like Michael Rooker (Colonel Edwards) or something.

Elwe Singollo
May 20th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I do not want a 'random' 'rotating' fourth member everyweek, that would be 'uninteresting' to me.

the_fours
May 21st, 2004, 02:40 AM
I do not want a 'random' 'rotating' fourth member everyweek, that would be 'uninteresting' to me.

i agree because you wouldnt be able to see the team getting to know the new guy if hes always changing.

SaberBlade
May 21st, 2004, 04:01 AM
i wouldn't mind a rotating 4th character as long as it is someone that we already know. i wouldn't want it to be like a star trek away team with someone dying every week so having an already known character would be good as it would allow a 4 th member to join the team without SG-1 being considered cursed.

i would like to see Siler, Ferreti, one of the cadets, Davis (walter or paul), a Tok'ra or even a Jaffa going on a mission and a rotating 4th team member would hopefully allow fans the chance to see who their fave non SG1 character go on a mission. i wouldn't want it to be a weekly thing just something that happens on occasion

Elwe Singollo
May 22nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
I dislike the whole idea of a rotating 4th member, for me (my personal opinion, which nobody has to agree) is Jonas or just leave it as a 3 person team with Sam leading.

Jprime
July 11th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Janus (In the redundant thread)

I hate cats ! Unless they're served with mushroom sauce !
Yah, did I just write that ?
I think my going to be sick....

Oeps, looks like I'm going to need to clean my keyboard....

Fluffsters a DOG! Blasphemy I tell you.... ;)

aAnubiSs
July 11th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Muahaha... Luke is the guy who tried to poison McKay with lemon chicken in the S5 ep 48 Hours. I've been trying to turn him into a bit of a cult hero (if you have a loose definition of "hero") in a couple of fics which explain his much-more-important-than-anyone-realizes role on the show.

Food Server Diaries (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/6/foodserver.html) introduces him and Second Course (http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/17/foodserver.html) picks up where the first one leaves off. It has a little bit of something for everyone, and it explains Sam's, uh... curious luck with men. ;)

Well in Babylon 5 there was the cult of Xena-followers. So maybe in some future spin-off Luke will be worshipped :>

Ancient 1
August 7th, 2004, 11:37 PM
I answered a thread similar to this somewhere else. I voted for Haley then as well as now.

sshspooky
August 9th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I have one worry about them adding a 4th member of the team. firstly, i think season 8 will be great with there only being 3 members, then season 9 they can develop a new character and add something new to that season, however the main thing that bothers me is that the role that has been lost is the purely military role, that of a soldier, so while all the people wanting Jonas back can want all they like, Jonas would not fit in to this role. And it is likely that unless the role was filled by someone added to the main cast, that this new member would not last long and would die. this could then make the 4th member spot kind of like the red shirts from star trek, which is something i don't wanna see. keep this season 3 person, and add a new character next year.

Faith
August 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I wonder if the producers/writers look for ideas on this board??? I can have hopes they do right???

if they do I want to say thier doing a great job and I would like a season 9 PLEASE!!!!!! :)

Hey I could be the 4th new member of SG-1 LOL

Ugly Pig
August 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I wonder if the producers/writers look for ideas on this board??? I can have hopes they do right???
Nope. In fact, they're not allowed to "steal" ideas from fans because of the potential legal trouble.

Ancient 1
August 11th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Kawalsky would actually be a good choice. like Apophis, being dead hasn't stopped him from popping back up occasionally but off course it would need to be his AU version but since the original is dead there is nothing going to stop him from being pulled apart.

in the s8 index on the main site, J. Mallozzi said they were kicking around a lot of AU ideas for series 8. i could see it being done
Yeah, I suppose they could go get a "Quantum Mirror Kawalsky."

BGrifter
August 12th, 2004, 07:47 AM
I really don't see Sam and Teal'c having difficulty filling the role of "soldier in charge" with Jonas around, although they'd definitely need to reinforce Teal'c as a soldier to counterbalance the two civilians.

No matter what they do it seems for a potential season nine there will be a pretty dramatic shakeup in the chemistry (even moreso than right now), I just hope this time they show the foresight to start preparing for it part way thru season eight. (I still think the whole Jonas backlash could have been avoided if they'd brought him onboard a bit earlier)

Ancient 1
August 13th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Don't want it to be Jonas. SG-1 already has 2 eggheads and 1 alien. What SG-1 needs is a more militant type like Haley.

ShadowMaat
August 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Don't want it to be Jonas. SG-1 already has 2 eggheads and 1 alien. What SG-1 needs is a more militant type like Haley.
You're kidding, right? Hailey is just as much of an egghead as Carter. Now Grogan on the other hand... ;) But he's too squeaky for SG-1.

sshspooky
August 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
I don't think Jonas could work as a 4th member of SG-1, although if they sent him to Atlantis, the competition between him and McKay would be fun to watch! :)

4th member of SG-1 should definately be military, someone who's there just to shoot people.

Elwe Singollo
August 13th, 2004, 11:18 AM
I don't think Jonas could work as a 4th member of SG-1, although if they sent him to Atlantis, the competition between him and McKay would be fun to watch! :)

4th member of SG-1 should definately be military, someone who's there just to shoot people.In my opinion, i dont think Jonas has to compete with McKay, i think Jonas is already better :rolleyes:

And yah, if SG1 does get another member, and if it is military like you say, and is just there to shoot things, lets hope this character is interesting :) Haha...

ShadowMaat
August 13th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Jonas and McKay going head-to-head on things in Atlantis... gosh, what a lovely, lovely things could come of that. :D

Elwe Singollo
August 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Jonas and McKay going head-to-head on things in Atlantis... gosh, what a lovely, lovely things could come of that. :DI can image you sitting in front of the screen just... enjoying them being on screen together :rolleyes: with maybe a little slobber comming from the side of the mouth :D

keshou
August 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty happy with the group of guys we've got on Atlantis right now. I'd enjoy seeing Jonas come back for some guest spots on SG-1 but I don't see a real place for him at Atlantis.

Ancient 1
August 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM
You're kidding, right? Hailey is just as much of an egghead as Carter. Now Grogan on the other hand... ;) But he's too squeaky for SG-1.
I'd rather have the third egghead who is feisty and human than one that is passive and alien. Does that make me a xenophobe? :D

ShadowMaat
August 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I'd rather have the third egghead who is feisty and human than one that is passive and alien.
Xenophobe. :P

But whatever. I don't think Jonas would fit the military "gap" in the team but I wouldn't mind seeing him around more, anyway. Even if he IS "passive and alien." Maybe even because of it. ;)

Madeleine
August 13th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Now Grogan on the other hand... ;) But he's too squeaky for SG-1.

Squeaky, maybe, but sooooo pretty.

ShadowMaat
August 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Squeaky, maybe, but sooooo pretty.
I would be more than happy to... break him in a bit, maybe take a bit of the squeak off. ;)

Lord You
August 13th, 2004, 10:19 PM

I am impressed with your faith in your God, underling! :-)

Personally, I think it would be funny if they get a cameo with Kurt Russell as the SG-1's temperory second-in-command (tho he doesn't stick). They could always get Gen. Carter/Selmac to join the team (does he still hold his Air Force rank?). Ry'ac would also make a fine addition.

Of course, the #1 new member should be Mr. T! :-)

Ancient 1
August 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Xenophobe. :P

But whatever. I don't think Jonas would fit the military "gap" in the team but I wouldn't mind seeing him around more, anyway. Even if he IS "passive and alien." Maybe even because of it. ;)
Ahh, yes. Another case for "embracing our differences to make us stronger." :D I really wouldn't mind seeing Jonas back occasionally, but as you say, he doesn't fit the gap for SG-1. Any permanent replacement position should be military and under Carter....not to be sexist, but is that last part a contradiction in terms? :rolleyes:

sshspooky
August 14th, 2004, 12:03 PM
i can't believe i didn't think of it before!

Someone military or with military experience, someone Carter can boss around, someone interesting who will add a new dynamic to the show. It's obvious really:

Maybourne!

Ugly Pig
August 14th, 2004, 12:05 PM
But they can't fully trust Maybourne...

So no. :p

ShadowMaat
August 14th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I know Maybourne is a beloved character, but I can't stand the guy! It isn't even a "like to hate" thing, he just flat-out annoys me. I wouldn't want him to be part of the team, not that he would ever be seriously considered.

Let's go back to Grogan. He's so pretty to look at. :D

Too bad Bacic is trapped on Andromeda. He'd make a fantastic addition to the team- even if he's a more impossible choice than Maybourne. ;)

Ancient 1
August 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM
I know what you mean about Maybourne. I don't know if it's the actor or what my problem with him is. I had the same problem with the RDA sidekick in MacGyver. I think his name was Jack Dalton...he was the pilot that was always getting Mac into trouble. I get that same queasy feeling every time Maybourne's name is mentioned.

Liam Kincaid
August 7th, 2005, 01:14 AM
I missed that episode (or episodes? ). When did he become a Tokra? And why would that stop him from joining the team?

Mr Prophet
August 7th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I missed that episode (or episodes? ). When did he become a Tokra? And why would that stop him from joining the team?

When Jack wanted the Tok'ra to take him somewhere quiet to 'retire' I thought it would be great for him to turn up later as a Tok'ra agent. I can't believe they'd want to waste a resource like Maybourne and the life might appeal to him. Sadly, it never came to be.

And it would stop him joining SG-1 because theTok'ra aren't even allied with Earth...just sort of, loosely affiliated.

Liam Kincaid
August 7th, 2005, 01:51 AM
I think they should let O'Neill's clone be the fourth. Wouldn't he be old enough by now?