PDA

View Full Version : What popular myths should Universe touch on?

kymeric
October 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Sg1 had egypt and gods, sga (obviously) had atlantis and vampires, what should universe have?

I vote Lovecraft.

SuperG
October 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM
This ship was preparing other galacy's for arival of accient. But they accended. And forgot there gate spreading ship.

So I expect a not human seeded galacy's.
Or they had just starting seeding some.
So more aliens, wich get a hold on the gates. Like the goa'uld and wraith did for centuries.
So new aliens friendly and foo to keep it excited.

What I don't expect is recycle old foo's.
Replicator
acient kolonie with other political agenda.
Wraith
asgard.
Humans.

Mostly I want to see new aliens. new kind of foo.
New Space ships.

I'am very curious about this. So I want to see this show for sure.

Col. Tomorian
October 8th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Sg1 had egypt and gods, sga (obviously) had atlantis and vampires, what should universe have? I vote Lovecraft. Lol... Seeing that this show is not Earth based, I don't think they should focus on our mythology. They should make their own mythology.

Platschu
October 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
An own mythology, where the forms doesn't count and the aliens looks like really out of the box. I would like to see more non-humanoid culture and alien perspective of philosophy about life, love and death etc. What do they think about humans, if they can see in every direction at the same time, or if they have five leg or arm, or if they are immortal, or if they are never tired, or if they change their form? ;)

But back to the thread's question. I think nature religions would be cool, because Oma Desala was mentioned as a buddhism type character, so maybe the old Ancients preferred the exploration, the respect of other evolution ways etc.

kymeric
October 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Lol... Seeing that this show is not Earth based, I don't think they should focus on our mythology. They should make their own mythology.

Oh come on you know what i mean. This show is being written by and viewed by HUMANS. Im not asking about specific names and events but the THEMES. It isnt going to be really alien or it would be bizarre nonsensical washes of color and noises that hurt our ears. What thematic lines from our own mythology could universe explore.

Lovecraft: most alien life is bizarre and hostile and horrifying or outright incomprehensible

Indian religion: multiple creation events/cycles of creation and destruction

Sg1 is cowboys wearing white hats and saving the day, sga is everyone working and sacrificing themselves to do what they have to, whats sgu gonna be?

Killjoy_Zero
October 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I say they should touch up on the whole "The world is flat" and the "Universe is infinite" things. I'd love to see a flat world.

GhostPoet
October 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I'd rather see alien mythology. Which means...completely made up mythos. :) Ancient long dead civilizations, etc...

captain simms
October 8th, 2008, 11:14 AM
apparently the team in sgu stumbles on a stargate that wasnt planted by the ship they inhabit we've only seen one other seperate race from the alterans that could build a stargate anf they were the tolan but are now dead, or are they lol ????

Anon
October 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
good ideas guys

xandder
October 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM
apparently the team in sgu stumbles on a stargate that wasnt planted by the ship they inhabit we've only seen one other seperate race from the alterans that could build a stargate anf they were the tolan but are now dead, or are they lol ????

the Tollan didn't know how to build the gate by themselves, the asgard helped them, so the asgard know how to build gates aswell, which isn't that surprising

SGAsgard
October 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
It was the Nox not the Asgard, come on guy watch Pretense for gods sake, the Nox not the Asgard helped them build the gate

auror
October 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Stargate should touch on greek or roman gods, obviously they can't show any modern day religions and risk offending people.

akren
October 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I honestly don't care if they offend or challenge established beliefs, be they modern, ancient or otherwise - it is good ot shake things up a tiny bit & make people think; rather than blindly follow (just MHO here! :P) : BSG did with the whole suicide bombing references during the Cylon occupation of New Caprica. It was brutual, shocking, brilliantly done & raised alot of quesations & made people think about the extremees people will go to for perceived freedoms, where the line is drawn in the name of doing good, etc - well done IMHO. :)

Truely alien-looking aliens, alien concepts & cultures with their own mythos (made-up, or hinting @ parallels with some Earth-based cultures, like shared universal concepts of creation, etc).

The Stargate enocuntered that is not seeded by the gateship is an eyebrow rasier, if true. The only civilization to create their owen Stargates without help from others (the Tollan & Nox combined their tech/brain-power to make their own Stargate for New Tollana) is the Orii (Supergate)/Alterrans themselves - the Asgard may come close, but we have yet to see this in cannon, or have it hinted @; so I am saying no to that one. So unless a colony of the Ancients put it there or an alien civilization developed their own (in which case thye ould have to be on-par with the Ancients in terms of tech/knowledge! :O); this seems highly unlikely ATM. :P

dmacfour
October 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I like the Greek myth Idea. I could see rogue ascended beings setting themselves up as gods, with the names of Greek gods.

I would, however, rather get past the formula of ancient myth tie-ins, and get into something completely alien.

kymeric
October 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Im gonna throw this out there. Based just on the technology within the gate, any advanced aliens that examined it would know about 1) subspace 2) teleportation 3) long lasting power sources 4) damn near indestructable materials. Given this we should expect to see starships and beaming of some sort. Especially with critters that have had millions of years to stare at their gates.

How would a giant intelligent squid incorporate that into their tech? Squid confederacy! How do squid think? Theyre lonely isolated hunters who only gather to mate, dont raise their young. So do like SPORE and progress that through evolution. Individual ships, space preditors, meeting up once a century for nookie in certain star systems. Prolly shoot first and ask questions never.

How about a race that built a superior stargate. Like oh hum, i can do better SQUARE STARGATE!

Stuff like that.

knowles2
October 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Well if they based on earth bound myths then they better make sure they are obscure and new and never before seen myths. Meaning
Roman= been done on tv
Greek= been done to death on tv.
Egypt= We already had ten years of it.
Mayan= Anything that does not involve the crystal skull aliens will be a disappointment to me.
Viking=Hebridians/ Asgard
Merlin= well had two years of that.

How apart from the above they would really have to dig deep to fine something new and original. Only really ancient Celtic religion/culture would interest me but then again they sought of used that for the nox. Chinese myth have also been used on tv far to often.

About they abandon ancient earth mythology and create completely new ones. And yeah with strange sounds and all I am up for something that airs that we or the character do not really understand what going on during the entire episode.

But please no more ancient cultures been done to death.

Boon
October 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
There's a bunch of loose ends from SG-1 I'm keen to see tied up or at least explored a bit further.

Lets bring back these guys. (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s3/321.shtml)It would be cool to see Ballard again, being an old guy he's bound to force his tales of aventure upon everyone in earshot.

And those guys from foothold (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s3/314.shtml)...

These little dudes (http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/races/links/lightaliens.shtml)

more of the Reole (http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/races/links/reole.shtml), a lost tribe of them for example...

spinny magee
October 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Meh i'd like to see any Ancient Roman God related things in SGU been alot of Greek and Egyptian ones even Nirriti who is Hindu Godess! I know a Roman God has appeared in an SG1 novel but never in a show oh and bring in the FURLINGS! we have been waiting for years and years and no furlings let next year bring the furlings! Also some Aztec myths would be good as for myths like vampires/wraith, hmmm perhaps Werewolves or Zombies which i know have been done to death..........

I_haz_a_Cookie
October 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
snagri laa
fountain of youth

Slave2Anubis
October 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
They way things have been going lately, i would'nt be surprised if they just threw Scientology into the mix. Halfway though the first season they have an unfriendly encounter with the evil dictator of the galactic confederacy himself...Lord Xenu. Only then do they find out that one of their tem members has thetan levels that are off the charts. Yeah, I know that is just plain insane. There is so much they can do with a story here. The writers at "Stargate Command" have been entertaining us with their wonderful adventures for years, and I can only hope they will continue to do so in the future.

Platschu
October 8th, 2008, 11:43 PM
snagri laa
fountain of youth

Maybe this is the reason why they will cast a 60-70 years old cast, who will change into a fresh 20-30 years old crew. :p

Dioxholster
October 9th, 2008, 01:25 AM
how about African mythologies if there is any, but other than that i think they should make it up. alien religions etc. actually it would be cool seeing aliens who believe that they need to cleanse the universe from humans that are deemed 'unclean'. kinda like what the asurans did to humans when they were fighting the wraith. oh the unlean thing is taken from old mans war btw

knowles2
October 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM
how about African mythologies if there is any, but other than that i think they should make it up. alien religions etc. actually it would be cool seeing aliens who believe that they need to cleanse the universe from humans that are deemed 'unclean'. kinda like what the asurans did to humans when they were fighting the wraith. oh the unlean thing is taken from old mans war btw

Egypt is Africa is north Africa.

But I sure their some other ancient cultures on the continent that could be used.

xandder
October 9th, 2008, 03:09 AM
It was the Nox not the Asgard, come on guy watch Pretense for gods sake, the Nox not the Asgard helped them build the gate

lol my bad, wrong super race lol kinda in a hurry and the first race that came to mind was asgard, pretense is one of my all time favourite epi's ever lol, should of remebered lol

Dioxholster
October 9th, 2008, 03:24 AM
i hate to say this but i feel i gotta; one more mythology they havent tapped into is Christianity or the others alike. maybe the find adam & eve or garden of eden. maybe they find heaven or hell. devils or angels. sounds a bit doctor whoish, but u never know. what if noah's ark was real but instead it was a spaceship, and the crusade was about ah..nevermind. anyway i would like to see made up mythologies because they make us question their truthfulness. its like discovering new meanings of life that could put our own religions/philosophies into question. like the Ori stuff, lets be frank, ori got way too much power and they are almost omniscient so they certainly have all the qualities that makes them gods yet they arent.

Murzin
October 9th, 2008, 04:01 AM
i want to see the damn furlings finally

Jack_Bauer
October 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM
While a lot of people have been saying they want to see the Furlings, I'm starting to feel like the mystery should remain a mystery. But if they had to be shown it should be in a new SG1 movie or even in an SG1 miniseries. The mythology of the Furlings and the mystery was started in SG! and should be explored there. If not, I would be happy with a cross over episode with Universe-SG1 characters ala First Contact with DJ.

I would like to see the Mayan myths in Universe :D

kymeric
October 9th, 2008, 04:23 AM
i hate to say this but i feel i gotta; one more mythology they havent tapped into is Christianity or the others alike. maybe the find adam & eve or garden of eden. maybe they find heaven or hell. devils or angels. sounds a bit doctor whoish, but u never know. what if noah's ark was real but instead it was a spaceship, and the crusade was about ah..nevermind. anyway i would like to see made up mythologies because they make us question their truthfulness. its like discovering new meanings of life that could put our own religions/philosophies into question. like the Ori stuff, lets be frank, ori got way too much power and they are almost omniscient so they certainly have all the qualities that makes them gods yet they arent.

Lol the episode demons, and the entire last 2 yrs of sg1 were about xianity.

I would like to see a gay version of adam and eve called Adam and STEVE. XD

Jack_Bauer
October 9th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I would like to see a gay version of adam and eve called Adam and STEVE. XD

ewwwwwwwwww lol

jelgate
October 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I second the ewwww

Voxyn
October 9th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I think it might be a pleasant change for the Earthlings to be seen as the gods.

For example, a group of extremely non-human looking aliens once found the Destiny and while they couldn't figure out how to make the ship work the way they wanted it to, they did manage to learn some things. Perhaps they were able to access some of its database and learnt some advanced space tech for ships and shields and a bit about the Stargates it was seeding. They also find images/information about the Ancients on the ship and what they looked like.

So when the Humans start showing up in the new Galaxy they see that they look like Ancients and understand the technologies more than they do. And they think they really are the Ancients and respect them greatly.

I think it would be interesting to see how the humans react and want to deal with being seen as gods.

Jack_Bauer
October 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I think it might be a pleasant change for the Earthlings to be seen as the gods.

For example, a group of extremely non-human looking aliens once found the Destiny and while they couldn't figure out how to make the ship work the way they wanted it to, they did manage to learn some things. Perhaps they were able to access some of its database and learnt some advanced space tech for ships and shields and a bit about the Stargates it was seeding. They also find images/information about the Ancients on the ship and what they looked like.

So when the Humans start showing up in the new Galaxy they see that they look like Ancients and understand the technologies more than they do. And they think they really are the Ancients and respect them greatly.

I think it would be interesting to see how the humans react and want to deal with being seen as gods.

I see what you mean, but we saw a lot of SG1 being treated like gods in the early seasons and it grew old quick. If TPTB do it right (hahaha) it could work really well, for example if the SG teams being treated like gods has serious rammifications and blah blah blah over the course of a season or so then yeah it would be good, but if it was walking through the stargate every weeek and being treated like Vikings and shiz by all different people for no real reson then pffft that. Anyways enough ranting, its 3.40 in the morning here and i have an essay to do!

Voxyn
October 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
If TPTB do it right (hahaha)
Many lols. :p

You're right.
It all depends on how it's done.
:D

SuperG
October 9th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Because there is no link with those deepspace gate networks and it extention by this gate plotting ship.

There is no contact between those worlds and our galacy network of gates.
Thus no myths.
If Acients has already seed some world with common humans. They only know the acients and the local aliens good and bad.

This aliens are completly unkown to us, no myths.

Or they change the formula a bit.
Or furlings?

kymeric
October 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing one or two human galaxies over the life of the show. If we can get to other galaxies theres no reason other advanced humans throughout the millions of years of ancient seedings couldnt. Or there could have been a glitch like the one that sent sg1 and apophsis to a replicator galaxy that one time.

I'd like to think the ancients stopped in every galaxy between here and the Ori galaxy and seeded planets and had lots of adventures. Itd be cool if there were human galaxies in a line between Ori and Pegasus, then wierdo aliens all over the rest of the universe. Maybe in a future spinoff?

auror
October 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I agree that the fountain of youth would be a cool thing to touch on.

jenks
October 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I agree that the fountain of youth would be a cool thing to touch on.

They've already done it.

Ltcolshepjumper
October 9th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I think universe needs to break away from the mythological aspects, and build upon it. SG-1 tried it with the shift from mythology to religion, and it didn't quite work. SGU could move towards modern philosophy, like Nietzche, or Marx. Something questionable, yet still under the umbrella of belief systems. that would be an interesting yet new approach. In regards to SGA, SGU could still focus on technology and science.

October 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM
i want to see the scientology based mythology :P lol

jelgate
October 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
i want to see the scientology based mythology :P lol

I guess I'm quiting the Stargate fandom.

jenks
October 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
They haven't done Christian mythology either...

Ltcolshepjumper
October 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
They haven't done Christian mythology either...

Christian mythology? Are you referring to Judaism? Or some of the medieval beliefs? I don't think SGU should do religion. For one, I don't think you can classify Christianity as mythology. Now, perhaps some of the earlier Jewish stories, like the Flood or Creation, but Christianity is relatively young in comparison to other faiths.

jenks
October 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
It's all the same to me. I don't think they should steer clear of any mythology just in case they offend a few people...

Ltcolshepjumper
October 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
It's all the same to me. I don't think they should steer clear of any mythology just in case they offend a few people...

A few? Anyway, I don't think Stargate should do religion, period. Old mythology is fine, but when you cross into religion, you don't just risk offending a few people, you risk offending a lot of people. Besides, what would they do?

jenks
October 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
A few? Anyway, I don't think Stargate should do religion, period. Old mythology is fine, but when you cross into religion, you don't just risk offending a few people, you risk offending a lot of people. Besides, what would they do?

But they do, and have done for ages, it all started with the Egyptian one.

Iffy
October 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Sg1 had egypt and gods, sga (obviously) had atlantis and vampires, what should universe have?

I vote Lovecraft.

:lol: Omg that would be funny rofl

Ltcolshepjumper
October 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
But they do, and have done for ages, it all started with the Egyptian one.

Fine, religions that are widely practiced today. And, even if that wasn't an issue, how would the writer's portray them? As evil? that didn't quite work with the Ori. And, as I asked, what aspects would they incorporate?

jenks
October 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
They could easily write Jesus as a banished Ancient, who descended and tried to pull an Ori...

Jack_Bauer
October 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
They could easily write Jesus as a banished Ancient, who descended and tried to pull an Ori...

That would not go down well with a LOT of people...

kuntz67
October 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
And why not a bit of greek mythology like the story where Zeus takes europa on its back in the form as bull.

Ltcolshepjumper
October 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM

So, in essence, you want religion to be portrayed in a bad light or what? That would turn off MANY people. Stargate has never actually discredited any religion. Not even with the Goauld. The Goauld, according to Brad Wright and RCC, took on the persona of Egyptian and other deities, and exploited the religion for their own purposes. Claiming that Jesus was a banished Ancient would discredit Christianity, which is NOT what BW or RCC intend to do. Stargate is not a religion basher.

jenks
October 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
So, in essence, you want religion to be portrayed in a bad light or what? That would turn off MANY people. Stargate has never actually discredited any religion. Not even with the Goauld. The Goauld, according to Brad Wright and RCC, took on the persona of Egyptian and other deities, and exploited the religion for their own purposes. Claiming that Jesus was a banished Ancient would discredit Christianity, which is NOT what BW or RCC intend to do. Stargate is not a religion basher.

Discredit it how? It's fiction not a documentary, and besides, the canon of the show throws Christian beliefs out of the window anyway, so what does it matter? As for turning many people off, maybe, but you can bet it would attract a bit of publicity and the viewership would probably rise if anything.

TheHumanElement
October 11th, 2008, 11:13 PM
To answer the question, I'd like to see Eldorado and the cities of gold mythology. Maybe they're various city ships made from new type of metal that looks like gold, like Star Trek's latinum. I also want to see Crystal skull myth; the Stargates version, and Celestial hierarchy (good angel mythology).

Mythological references give the show artistic direction, which is what makes SGverse aliens appealing.

As for the idea of touching up on alien mythology, I agree with that also. Specifically they should touch up on questions like who are the furlings and nox and what was their relationship with the asgard and ancients. If they make the Asgard the new enemy then maybe the new Sgverse allies will be the nox and/or the furlings. Also, if the Lanteans are an offshoot of the Alterans then where do the alterans come from? Or more to the point, where do humans in general come from? It would be great to touch up on the many creation myths out there (as has been mentioned). Maybe Lucifer can be a new villain assuming angels are ascended beings.

I'd rather see alien mythology. Which means...completely made up mythos. :) Ancient long dead civilizations, etc...

They could tap various ghost mythology also!!! Ghosts seem popular in Sci-Fi channel with the success of Ghost Hunters. We might see alien ghosts in SGU of long dead civilizations. Even that Scientology angle could be explored. These planets have spirits of the long dead alien ghosts on them. They could say they are hindering ascension or something. So we see a lot of haunted planets. Maybe we can even see another Anubis type villain; maybe Lucifer?

Technically the Greek roman god idea was already done in SG1. They came in the form of the Gould.

The fountain of youth idea would explain why the cast is so young. GREAT IDEAS I_haz_a_Cookie and Platschu !!!!!

Because there is no link with those deepspace gate networks and it extention by this gate plotting ship.

There is no contact between those worlds and our galaxy network of gates.
Thus no myths.

Maybe they can address Akashic plane religious concept. It could be an alternative way of explaining how knowledge spread through the galaxy to these unseeded gateless planets. Maybe they can even link the Akashic plane concept to the higher planes the Acients exist on.

Jack_Bauer
October 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe they can address Akashic plane religious concept. It could be an alternative way of explaining how knowledge spread through the galaxy to these unseeded gateless planets. Maybe they can even link the Akashic plane concept to the higher planes the Acients exist on.

wats the Akashic plane religious plane concept?

TheHumanElement
October 11th, 2008, 11:28 PM
They addressed the Akashic plane in the Sci-Fi channel show Eureka last season. It's a plane where all the knowledge of the universe is stored. Below is a better definition. I think it's either a buddhist or a Hindu concept.

The akashic records (akasha is a Sanskrit word meaning "sky", "space" or "aether") is a term used in theosophy to describe a compendium of mystical knowledge encoded in a non-physical plane of existence. These records are described to contain all knowledge of human experience and the history of the cosmos. They are metaphorically described as a library and other analogues commonly found in discourse on the subject include a 'universal computer' and the 'Mind of God'. Descriptions of the records assert that they are constantly updated and that they can be accessed through astral projection.

Goto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashic_records to read the whole wiki.

Jack_Bauer
October 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM
They addressed the Akashic plane in the Sci-Fi channel show Eureka last season. It's a plane where all the knowledge of the universe is stored. Below is a better definition. I think it's either a buddhist or a Hindu concept.

Goto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashic_records to read the whole wiki.

TheHumanElement
October 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I know, I first heard about it in an Authority comic book. Eureka did a great job in portraying the concept. Maybe with Stargate's budget they can take it to an even better level.

I reconsidered the idea of using Greek and Roman mythology. I think it might be a good idea. Truthfully SG1 barely touched Greek and roman myth. They only skimmed the surface of an ocean. Considering the show will be named Destiny, maybe it might have something to do with the myths about the three fates. Who knows, we may even see Stargates version of Kratos! Maybe some alien superwarrior villain who starts wars for fun. Or he could be the next alien-warrior type ally.

Betelgeuze
October 16th, 2008, 06:52 AM
An alien (non-human) civillization that has build a mythology/religion around the stargates. If a stargate would suddenly appear on a planet with a primitive civilization they might think it is placed there by godlike beings. It would be interesting how these people would react if they found out the truth about the stargates.

rlr149
October 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM

so you don't have a problem with humans being 'seeded' by the ancients? but have a problem with anything that would discredit christianity................ you've not thought this through have you?

OP's question - shamballa/shambhala

Ltcolshepjumper
October 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM
so you don't have a problem with humans being 'seeded' by the ancients? but have a problem with anything that would discredit christianity................ you've not thought this through have you?

OP's question - shamballa/shambhala

Yes, I do have a problem with it, but the writer's haven't created any plot that directly implies that Christianity, or any other religion in belief today, is based around a false god(s). Of course, stargate does need a scientific way to explain things, an many of stargate's concepts haven't lined up with religion. That's a given. But developing an atheistic, or secular history for a scifi tv show is not the same as denouncing specific religions.

rlr149
October 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Yes, I do have a problem with it, but the writer's haven't created any plot that directly implies that Christianity, or any other religion in belief today, is based around a false god(s).
that is exactly what is 'implied', unless you happen to believe in ancient races that look like us. creating life in the galaxy? i don't know of a religion that believes it but there's bound to be one:S.......... though at the same time they have cam talking about 'god' being a whole order higher in power than the ori, bit wishy washy really, they should be less ambiguous.

Of course, stargate does need a scientific way to explain things, an many of stargate's concepts haven't lined up with religion. That's a given. But developing an atheistic, or secular history for a scifi tv show is not the same as denouncing specific religions.no they're not specific, they're deliberately vague:(

Betelgeuze
October 18th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm hoping there won't be any Earth based mythology/religion in Stargate Universe. I think this show provides an excellent oppertunity to create new mythologies/religions. Personally i think it would be likely that the races in STU have the Stargate as a part of their mythology/religion. It would be interesting to see how these beliefs will be influenced by the presence and insights of Earth humans.

The portrayal of Christianity or other widely practiced real world religions in Stargate is completely irrelevant. The Stargate universe is a fictional universe, the origins of religion will be different in the Stargate universe than the origin of these religions in the real world. So what does it matter how these religions are portrayed?

Shpinxinator
October 21st, 2008, 02:36 PM
Id like to see the Aboriginal concept of Dream Time

jnadreth
October 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
The flying spaghetti monster with his noodly apendages:P

Jack_Bauer
October 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
Id like to see the Aboriginal concept of Dream Time

But what would they get out of that?

Shpinxinator
October 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
But what would they get out of that?

The traditions and lore of Australia's indigenous peoples belongs to what may be the oldest continuous culture on Earth (circa 50,000 years). Indigenous Australian peoples conceive of all things beginning with The Dreaming or Altjeringa (also called the Dreamtime), a sacred 'once upon a time'...time out of time in which ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings formed The Creation.
Aboriginals believe in two forms of time; two parallel streams of activity. One is the daily objective activity, the other is an infinite spiritual cycle called the "dreamtime", more real than reality itself. Whatever happens in the dreamtime establishes the values, symbols, and laws of Aboriginal society. It was believed that some people of unusual spiritual powers had contact with the dreamtime.

You tell me that doesn't lend itself to some awesome stories

Jack_Bauer
October 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
The traditions and lore of Australia's indigenous peoples belongs to what may be the oldest continuous culture on Earth (circa 50,000 years). Indigenous Australian peoples conceive of all things beginning with The Dreaming or Altjeringa (also called the Dreamtime), a sacred 'once upon a time'...time out of time in which ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings formed The Creation.
Aboriginals believe in two forms of time; two parallel streams of activity. One is the daily objective activity, the other is an infinite spiritual cycle called the "dreamtime", more real than reality itself. Whatever happens in the dreamtime establishes the values, symbols, and laws of Aboriginal society. It was believed that some people of unusual spiritual powers had contact with the dreamtime.

You tell me that doesn't lend itself to some awesome stories

That definetely does sound interesting, I ad no idea the 'Dreamtime' was that extensive, I'm an Australian myself btw.

Shpinxinator
October 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
That definetely does sound interesting, I ad no idea the 'Dreamtime' was that extensive, I'm an Australian myself btw.

Well you get a D in being Australian don't you? :cameron: I'm kidding of course...

Seriously thought I love your countries history and I've always wanted to visit...back to the topic I think Dreamtime could tie into the higher levels of existence Oma talked about...maybe an enemy who is on a plane of existence much MUCH higher than even the Ancients

Jack_Bauer
October 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Well you get a D in being Australian don't you? :cameron: I'm kidding of course...

LOL :D Mate by not knowing more about my country i am considered a true blue Australian. Remembering we are a country of people who pride ourselves on not giving a hoot and not knowing the words to our country's anthem :P

Shpinxinator
October 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
LOL :D Mate by not knowing more about my country i am considered a true blue Australian. Remembering we are a country of people who pride ourselves on not giving a hoot and not knowing the words to our country's anthem :P

I win because I was called mate...yup...I win