This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writers Block

OK so I've hit it big time and I'm suck. I am of course ranting about writers block. It seems that no mater what I do... watch telly, listen to Embrace, eat a tub of B&J cookie dough... I can't get through it...

Help!!!!
    Sam....

Sometimes I take my old ADHD meds... The help.

Comment

I find that just taking a complete break from writing for a while is the best way to handle writer's block. Come back to it after at least a week, re-read what you've already done and see what happens.

Good luck.

Lizzy

Comment

writer's block for a specific story, or writer's block in general, you can't write anything, period? If it's for a specific story, what usually helps me is skipping a scene or two, going on to the next part you're sure you can write, and then going back and filling in the missing parts later.

Comment

try writing something else. somethign short, like maybe a drabble ( a story of precisely 100 words)

or the word of the month used to help me

www.frondfic.com

they're not doing new words anymore, by try pickingone and just write a little thing based on that word

most importantly of all, don't stress over it. writers block is like insomnia. the more you worry about it, the worse it gets
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's the B&J-- you're eating the wrong flavor

I had writer's block for almost two years (not what you want to hear, I know!). The one day re-watching "Fallen" I found something that I felt needed "more." So I started writing. I haven't finished that one, yet but starting that one ended my block and I've finished one and am almost finished with another. Whether I ever go back to my "fallen" fic, I've no clue, but at least it broke my block.

Writing drabbles was a good suggestion. You might also try writing missing scenes. Find an ep that you feel is missing 'something' and write in that scene. Even just a couple paragraphs is good, and keep doing it.

Something professional writers advise is to write something every day--even if it's garbage. Eventually the block will break and the garbage will become a good story

And no, for those two years I was blocked, I did NOT follow that advise.

Good Luck!

Dana Jeanne
            Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
              It's the B&J-- you're eating the wrong flavor
              May be I should try Chunky Monkey

I had writer's block for almost two years (not what you want to hear, I know!). The one day re-watching "Fallen" I found something that I felt needed "more." So I started writing. I haven't finished that one, yet but starting that one ended my block and I've finished one and am almost finished with another. Whether I ever go back to my "fallen" fic, I've no clue, but at least it broke my block.
              Two years ... Oh Gud...

Writing drabbles was a good suggestion. You might also try writing missing scenes. Find an ep that you feel is missing 'something' and write in that scene. Even just a couple paragraphs is good, and keep doing it.

Something professional writers advise is to write something every day--even if it's garbage. Eventually the block will break and the garbage will become a good story

And no, for those two years I was blocked, I did NOT follow that advise.

Good Luck!

Dana Jeanne
              I've left the fic I was working on and started a new one that I'm pretty excited about so hopefully that will get me through... It was starting to get me down as I had no idea where the story was going next... But with the new one I'm writting I wrote a very quick outline first so at least I know what direction it's going to take I think... but knowing me it well change halfway through and I'll find myself on writers block again ...

I'm also doing a script style fic for Stargate:Horizon (see below ) and that's helping to keep my mind off it as it's a completely different set of characters..

Thanks for your advice...
              Sam....

Comment

i like to write a lot of stuff, like fanfics, and when i feel im stuck, i go somewhere completely devoid of other people and sit in utter silence and think. usually, something comes to me after a while. i dont know, this works for me, maybe it will for you.
                ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
                  i like to write a lot of stuff, like fanfics, and when i feel im stuck, i go somewhere completely devoid of other people and sit in utter silence and think. usually, something comes to me after a while. i dont know, this works for me, maybe it will for you.
                  Now that's not a bad idea... The only place that is quiet in my house is the bathroom... Maybe what I need is a very long soak in a hot bath filled to the brim with lovely smelling bubbles... I might even take in a nice glass of chilled white wine and a tub of B&J - not cookie dough

Sam....

Comment

Working...
                  X