PDA

View Full Version : Writers Block

samjack4ever
November 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM
OK so I've hit it big time and I'm suck. I am of course ranting about writers block. :( It seems that no mater what I do... watch telly, listen to Embrace, eat a tub of B&J cookie dough... I can't get through it...

Help!!!!

aschen
November 17th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Sometimes I take my old ADHD meds... The help.

BizzyLizzy
November 18th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I find that just taking a complete break from writing for a while is the best way to handle writer's block. Come back to it after at least a week, re-read what you've already done and see what happens.

Good luck.

Lizzy
;)

Greesha
November 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM
writer's block for a specific story, or writer's block in general, you can't write anything, period? If it's for a specific story, what usually helps me is skipping a scene or two, going on to the next part you're sure you can write, and then going back and filling in the missing parts later.

Skydiver
November 18th, 2004, 05:27 PM
try writing something else. somethign short, like maybe a drabble ( a story of precisely 100 words)

or the word of the month used to help me

www.frondfic.com

they're not doing new words anymore, by try pickingone and just write a little thing based on that word

most importantly of all, don't stress over it. writers block is like insomnia. the more you worry about it, the worse it gets

Dana_Jeanne
November 20th, 2004, 08:22 AM
It's the B&J-- you're eating the wrong flavor ;)

I had writer's block for almost two years (not what you want to hear, I know!). The one day re-watching "Fallen" I found something that I felt needed "more." So I started writing. I haven't finished that one, yet :o but starting that one ended my block and I've finished one and am almost finished with another. Whether I ever go back to my "fallen" fic, I've no clue, but at least it broke my block.

Writing drabbles was a good suggestion. You might also try writing missing scenes. Find an ep that you feel is missing 'something' and write in that scene. Even just a couple paragraphs is good, and keep doing it.

Something professional writers advise is to write something every day--even if it's garbage. Eventually the block will break and the garbage will become a good story :)

And no, for those two years I was blocked, I did NOT follow that advise.

Good Luck!

Dana Jeanne

samjack4ever
November 20th, 2004, 08:49 AM
It's the B&J-- you're eating the wrong flavor ;) May be I should try Chunky Monkey :D

I had writer's block for almost two years (not what you want to hear, I know!). The one day re-watching "Fallen" I found something that I felt needed "more." So I started writing. I haven't finished that one, yet :o but starting that one ended my block and I've finished one and am almost finished with another. Whether I ever go back to my "fallen" fic, I've no clue, but at least it broke my block.Two years :eek: ... Oh Gud...

Writing drabbles was a good suggestion. You might also try writing missing scenes. Find an ep that you feel is missing 'something' and write in that scene. Even just a couple paragraphs is good, and keep doing it.

Something professional writers advise is to write something every day--even if it's garbage. Eventually the block will break and the garbage will become a good story :)

And no, for those two years I was blocked, I did NOT follow that advise.

Good Luck!

Dana JeanneI've left the fic I was working on and started a new one that I'm pretty excited about so hopefully that will get me through... It was starting to get me down as I had no idea where the story was going next... But with the new one I'm writting I wrote a very quick outline first so at least I know what direction it's going to take I think... but knowing me it well change halfway through and I'll find myself on writers block again :) ...

I'm also doing a script style fic for Stargate:Horizon (see below ;) ) and that's helping to keep my mind off it as it's a completely different set of characters..

Thanks for your advice...

lionel_pendergast_rocks
November 20th, 2004, 08:59 AM
i like to write a lot of stuff, like fanfics, and when i feel im stuck, i go somewhere completely devoid of other people and sit in utter silence and think. usually, something comes to me after a while. i dont know, this works for me, maybe it will for you. :)

samjack4ever
November 20th, 2004, 09:16 AM
i like to write a lot of stuff, like fanfics, and when i feel im stuck, i go somewhere completely devoid of other people and sit in utter silence and think. usually, something comes to me after a while. i dont know, this works for me, maybe it will for you. :)Now that's not a bad idea... The only place that is quiet in my house is the bathroom... Maybe what I need is a very long soak in a hot bath filled to the brim with lovely smelling bubbles... I might even take in a nice glass of chilled white wine and a tub of B&J - not cookie dough ;)

http://uk.geocities.com/sam_jack4ever/bath.jpg