PDA

View Full Version : who will be in command of SGC if Jack is away so much in S9?

ckwongau
November 17th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I am happy about S9 ,but if RDA is only appear in 4 episode, then Jack will be away so much , who will be in command?

Sam just got promoted to Lt. Colonel in Ep 8.o2 , i doubt she can promote to General by the time Jack make his leave of absence.

Daniel is civilian
Teal an alien
Chervon Guy doesn't have the rank

Dr Weir is away in Pegasus, but if the spoiler is right about the possible cross over ,and the spoiler is
also said she may be relief of her command after Earth's send ships to Pegasus.It is theorical possible she may get SGC command again.But i doubt it

May be some new guy from Washington

May be they send General Hammond back while Jack is away

ShadowMaat
November 17th, 2004, 12:21 PM
If you will please draw your attention to the sticky note at the top of this section, you'll see a note kindly asking people to keep S9 discussion and speculation to the Gen Disc folder so that the S8 folder doesn't get bogged down by non-S8 subjects. :)

I'm sure a Mod will be happy to move it when someone gets a chance.

That being said, maybe the new head of Stargate Command will be some random new person who'll sort of float in and out of eps and we won't get much development on him (or her) until the end where we find out that it's been Ra all along. :P Just kidding.

Probably. ;)

It won't be Hammond because Don Davis is trying to retire to spend more time on his art and to take care of himself. If I remember correctly, one of his reasons for leaving in the first place was health-related. Hope things continue to go well for him on that front. He looked good last time I saw him, so returement (or semi-retirement) seems to agree with him. :)

GateTraveler
November 17th, 2004, 12:39 PM
It won't be Hammond because Don Davis is trying to retire to spend more time on his art and to take care of himself.

It's too bad too because I think he was a much better commander of the SGC than Jack has been. I just don't think Jack's attitude is right for that position. Personally if we can't have Hammond I hope they bring in someone like him.

Dotus5
November 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Jack could still be commander. Just because you don't see him, doesnt' mean that his isn't there.

Think back at Hammond, you didn't see him in every episode, but he was still commander.

Now if RDA does take an even reduced shooting schedule, it's just you won't see him as much. I would much rather have Jack as rarely seen CO, than someone who stops in from time to time from his retirement.

Shipperahoy
November 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
As Shadow has already mentioned I've already made a sticky post (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5943) asking that people not post season 9 topics in the season 8 folder. Any season 9 discussion should go into the General Discussion folder until such a time as season 9 gets it's own folder. So I'm going to move this into General Discussion.

Uncle Bob
November 17th, 2004, 01:06 PM
It won't be Hammond because Don Davis is trying to retire to spend more time on his art and to take care of himself. If I remember correctly, one of his reasons for leaving in the first place was health-related. Hope things continue to go well for him on that front. He looked good last time I saw him, so returement (or semi-retirement) seems to agree with him. :)

Perhaps that was also the case. But let us not forget that the main reason Davis left was because he actually was asked to leave: there was no other feasible way for the production team to account for Anderson's reduced schedule, so they ended up tying him down to the base by making him a general. This is when Davis had to go, and only afterwards did Davis start talking about how he supposedly did not wish to stay on the show.

I think it is rather obvious that if Anderson had a normal schedule, there would be no need to get rid of Davis.

And yes, it is very unlikely that Davis would be asked to return to the show.

ShadowMaat
November 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Perhaps that was also the case. But let us not forget that the main reason Davis left was because he actually was asked to leave: there was no other feasible way for the production team to account for Anderson's reduced schedule, so they ended up tying him down to the base by making him a general.
Umm... do you have an article and/or quote from a PTB to back this up? Because I was given to understand that it was Don's decision and that there was no underhanded stuff involved at all.

Icemancmd
November 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Daniel could....Wier is a civilian and she was appointed SGC Commander at one point. He is good with talks and is smart. hes also a nerd so he can do all the paperwork with no problem. :)

Uncle Bob
November 17th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Umm... do you have an article and/or quote from a PTB to back this up? Because I was given to understand that it was Don's decision and that there was no underhanded stuff involved at all.

Actually it was available on this website sometime ago in the news section - either at the end of last year or sometime very early this year. There was an article written by one of the producers (probably more in the form of an interview) where they were trying to find a way around Anderson's reduced schedule. It was also said in it that there is remote possibility that as a last resort to compensate for that schedule issue they would have to replace Jack as a general. They did acknowledge that they would rather find other solution if it only were available. I cannot remember which one: Malozzi? Greenburg? Wright? But I am sure it is still somewhere in the older archives concerning the news for season 8.

ShadowMaat
November 17th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Ah. And yet more respect lost for TPTB, then. *sigh* Not that I really have any left. :P

GateTraveler
November 17th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I think at some point they will just have to bite the bullet and write Jack out. I know, I know...but it really has to be done if the show is to continue. I mean he's apparently now reduced to the point where they can't even do briefings. C'mon guys, cut the cord and lets move on.

Flameproof suit at the ready :)...

shw77
November 17th, 2004, 06:01 PM
With RDA reduce episodes they should slowly write out jack , at that time daniel and carter should be in charge of the SGC, daniel with relations and carter with military, by then daniel will be married to sara and carter will have a family with pete, for hammon to come back that would make no sense bc it would be like a demotion, right now hes in charge of everything promouthous, atlantis, and the sgc so sam and daniel would make a lot of sense

ps jacob is also a general in the air force, he would make a good leader with all the knowledge of the tok'ra

majorsal
November 17th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Perhaps that was also the case. But let us not forget that the main reason Davis left was because he actually was asked to leave: there was no other feasible way for the production team to account for Anderson's reduced schedule, so they ended up tying him down to the base by making him a general. This is when Davis had to go, and only afterwards did Davis start talking about how he supposedly did not wish to stay on the show.

I think it is rather obvious that if Anderson had a normal schedule, there would be no need to get rid of Davis.

And yes, it is very unlikely that Davis would be asked to return to the show.

I remember the first time I ever heard mention of RDA's Jack moving up in rank (to help find a reasonable way for him to be semi in the show) was by DSD himself. I can't remember the article/interview name, but I remember distinctly DSD saying something like he would gladly pull away so that RDA could take his place. Then the next time DSD talked (and the deal was really happening), there was another reason why he was leaving. Then the next interview, another reason. I don't know what to think. I remembered being confused by his second interview because I'd remembered his kindly (and unusual) offer to step aside to help RDA's situation on the show. I'm not meaning to sound like I'm bashing/judging DSD, I'm just confused by the whole thing.

Sally :)

Major Fischer
November 17th, 2004, 06:31 PM
My guess.

Jack will be written out of the SGC. It's really not workable to have the commander off screen, it's far to deeply established that a ranking officer has to be involved in far more than 4 episodes.

It will not be Daniel because that will totally destroy any chance of restoring an SG1 team dynamic. As much as certain people within the fanbase believe this is feasable its... not. I also doubt Daniel would want the job. It's really a position meant for a secondary character.

If I were one of TPTB I would introduce two completely new characters roughly along these patterns.

SGC Commander. One or two star general, probably experianced with working with international forces, but relatively new to the Stargate Program itself. Perhaps someone who had a position with NATO, NORAD, or Central Command. This would set up a bit of interpersonal trust and conflict with the three orginal members of SG1. Is this person a plant, are they a good guy, are they a bad guy? The ambigiousness of this could be carried on for a couple episodes instead of resolved rather quickly like it was with Weir.

SG1 XO. A captain or major, military officer, probably male (though the SGC commander need not be), either from another SG team or another special operations branch. Someone who balances out Carter, perhaps someone who clashes with her a little. Let Carter prove herself as a soldier and a commander in a paralle way to the way she had to prove herself to O'Neill in the first season. Maybe have this person have some past connection with the new base commander so you wonder a bit about him too.

Unas
November 17th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Most likely Jack will be written out and become a recurring character. Since Daniel already did the ascension thing, Jack might end up being a goa'uld host! S9 might be a long struggle to rescue/kill Jack who's plotting some devious plan with all his knowledge attained over the years.

As for the SGC head, it will either be a general we've seen before like Vidrine or a whole new character. It wont be Jacob because he's a Tok'ra and the pentagon trusts them less than Jack does. They'll never give the job to someone with divided loyalties and seperate agendas.

Beatrice Otter
November 17th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Heh. To stir the pot a bit, I will quote from a post a someone made a while ago about exactly what a "Command" means in the US military.

First, in this series they have Jack's new office showing a certificate that is from the "United States Air Force Space Systems Command", no such thing. It's "Air Force Space Command" or the "U.S. Space Command", both of which are lead by Four-Star generals.

Second, the StarGate Command (SGC) should have been StarGate Center from the beginning since it clearly falls under the Air Force Space Command (AFSPC), and you can't have a Command within a Command. In addition, it is the "Centers" that have either two- or three-star officers in charge.

If the SGC was a "Separate Operating Agency", and there are a few, it would still be called a "Center" and not a "Command" since "Commands" require four-star flag officers. (Note: a "flag" officer is called a General in the USAF, US Army or USMC, and an Admiral in the US Navy or USCG. They all have their own "flag", note the blue one in Jack's office).

Third, the President of the U.S. can recommend the promotion of anyone he wants to whatever rank he wants. After all, he is the Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Armed Forces! However, it still does take an Act of Congress to approve the promotion. But in this case (helping to save the world yet again) I don't think that there would be any problem with Hammond getting his third or even fourth star to go along with his new position as commander of the entire earth-space defense force or whatever its called. However, there is a limit to the amount of four-stars generals that the USAF can have, and it's currently 13. FYI - The USMC can only have one.

Which means that the SGC should get a 4-star. But then he would outrank Hammond, who commands all things related to the Stargate, and (iirc) just got promoted to 3-star.

Major Fischer
November 17th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Heh. To stir the pot a bit, I will quote from a post a someone made a while ago about exactly what a "Command" means in the US military.

There are MANY things that are unrealistic about the way that Stargate Command operates, including to name a few, that there is no Deputy Commander, that there is no planning or operations staff, that there is no aide de camp....

I don't expect them to follow up on being realistic, they are more likely to follow the same line as the previous 4 of 5 SGC commanders and make it a one or two star general.

And spoiler pictures from Prometheus Unbound confirm that Hammond is a Lieutenant General now.

Unas
November 17th, 2004, 10:20 PM
The SGC cant be commanded by a four star general because it doesnt exist. It's "Deep Space Radar Telemetry". If I were an intelligence officer in a hostile country, I would immediately find it strange that a full general is commanding a minor science post since it's usually given to lower generals.

Correction to an earlier post: Vidrine probably wont be a candidate since he has seniority over Hammond. How does another civvie sound? Woolsey as a commander would certainly cause interesting interactions.

greytop
November 18th, 2004, 04:11 AM
ps jacob is also a general in the air force, he would make a good leader with all the knowledge of the tok'ra
I don't think it would be Jacob. Isn't he is retired. And I don't think that the upper command would want a symboit/host as a commander of a base.

shockwave
November 18th, 2004, 06:49 AM
The SGC cant be commanded by a four star general because it doesnt exist. It's "Deep Space Radar Telemetry". If I were an intelligence officer in a hostile country, I would immediately find it strange that a full general is commanding a minor science post since it's usually given to lower generals.

Correction to an earlier post: Vidrine probably wont be a candidate since he has seniority over Hammond. How does another civvie sound? Woolsey as a commander would certainly cause interesting interactions.

yeah, like they originally intended for New order

yaaayoubetcha
November 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Felger gets the surpise of a lifetime......call from the president letting him know he's in charge.

And then he calls back.....asks? are you scared? you shouldn't be...you're on SGC Scare Tactics!

berserklover
November 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
I have no doubt, that the producer have shown their plan for season 9 or else sci fi would have never sign for another season. So I can't wait to see what they decide. but the producer of that show, never disappointed, even less when they bought daniel back.

ps: I think jack should ascend so he could do like daniel in other episode (they were hte best episode when he showed up out of no where). That would be the best way to take care of that. But weird should stay in atlantis, she's doing great.

Janus
November 18th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I don't think it would be Jacob. Isn't he is retired. And I don't think that the upper command would want a symboit/host as a commander of a base.

Also, I think Jacob officially is dead.
Since they would need a coverstory of some kind.

ShadowMaat
November 18th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Also, I think Jacob officially is dead.
Since they would need a coverstory of some kind.
Officially listed as "deceased" on military/civilian documentation, you mean.

And yes, having a dead man get promoted to a position of power would cause a lot of ruckus... but it'd hardly be the first time it had happened. Might be the first time the "dead man" was around to take charge, though. :D

Dana_Jeanne
November 18th, 2004, 10:16 AM
I remember the first time I ever heard mention of RDA's Jack moving up in rank (to help find a reasonable way for him to be semi in the show) was by DSD himself. ---snip-- I'm not meaning to sound like I'm bashing/judging DSD, I'm just confused by the whole thing. Sally :)

DSD has said several times in interviews and at conventions that he would be more than willing to step aside should "jack" ever be promoted. At the convention in Sacramento (or maybe Chicago) he reiterated this and then told us about the health scare he'd had earlier, and how much he was looking forward to the art show he was going to participate in, in ...2006, I think. That the next two years would have him working on getting enough art for the showing.

As far as having a new commander for the SGC, I don't see that they really need one. They can keep Jack "there" very easily by talking about him; the briefing room scenes have generally been the more boring parts of the show, and if those are cut, that leaves more room for OFF - WORLD EXPLORATION! oops. Did I just yell? Sorry.

Anyway, a line or two: the General said.... or jack's gonna kill us... or... You see what I mean, he can still be "there." And then with the four episodes he'll be in, we can have all four of them together in something meaningful to the team.

Dana Jeanne

Major Fischer
November 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM
As far as having a new commander for the SGC, I don't see that they really need one. They can keep Jack "there" very easily by talking about him;

Personally I would find that very cheap and it wouldn't work for me AT ALL. I can not concieve of how that would work in way that would have any credibility with me.

Dana_Jeanne
November 18th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Personally I would find that very cheap and it wouldn't work for me AT ALL. I can not concieve of how that would work in way that would have any credibility with me.

That's okay, you're entitled not to like my idea :) I simply hate the thought of Jack not being there (other than those four episodes) and that is an easy way to keep him 'alive.'

It bugs the heck out of me when a character simply disappears from the show and nobody even talks about him/her/them. Especially characters that had a huge impact on the show. I'm sure everyone knows of at least ONE character like that!

Dana Jeanne

Major Fischer
November 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM
To me that would not be keeping him alive, and it would feel ill placed and would throw the pacing of the episodes. You may not like the briefing room scenes, but they serve a very important storytelling purpose that I don't think you can get away from. Otherwise there would be long explaination scenes off world that would not make sense for the setting.

No one is suggesting that Jack be forgotten. It's a little like saying that the people from the SGC have Heroes forgotten Janet Fraiser.. You don't need to force a line of dialogue--and to me what you are suggesting would be forcing dialogue that would not naturally flow from the characters mouths.

The season needs to not be about who isn't on the screen though. That will be lifeless and dead. The SGC commander is an important secondary character position. He or she does not need to be in every episode, but he would need to be there more than just four episodes and I for one would rather see Jack O'Neill being Jack O'Neill in the episodes we do have RDA rather than this uncomfortable and incredible character that he is as the Brigadier General.

Dana_Jeanne
November 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I for one would rather see Jack O'Neill being Jack O'Neill in the episodes we do have RDA rather than this uncomfortable and incredible character that he is as the Brigadier General.
Well, I agree with you on that one!!
DJ

Janus
November 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM
I think they'll write O'Neill out, but I don't think they'll kill him.
As for the SGC, I expect them to come up with somebody new.

Unas
November 18th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I have no doubt, that the producer have shown their plan for season 9 or else sci fi would have never sign for another season. So I can't wait to see what they decide. but the producer of that show, never disappointed, even less when they bought daniel back.

ps: I think jack should ascend so he could do like daniel in other episode (they were hte best episode when he showed up out of no where). That would be the best way to take care of that. But weird should stay in atlantis, she's doing great.

I dont think they'll ascend Jack simply because its been done before. Viewers will just roll their eyes thinking, "here we go again...." A more original idea is making Jack into a goa'uld. I'm surprised this story hasnt been done yet in all these seasons. The closest was "In the Line of Duty", but that doesnt count since it was a Tokra. Jack as a recurring villain would definately create a new story arc that would energize the team.

Janus
November 18th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Jack can't become a Goa'uld.
Remember, he's been a Tok'Ra.
And IIRC people who have been a host before, can't be 'used' again.

Matt G
November 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM
My guess.

Jack will be written out of the SGC. It's really not workable to have the commander off screen, it's far to deeply established that a ranking officer has to be involved in far more than 4 episodes.

It will not be Daniel because that will totally destroy any chance of restoring an SG1 team dynamic. As much as certain people within the fanbase believe this is feasable its... not. I also doubt Daniel would want the job. It's really a position meant for a secondary character.

If I were one of TPTB I would introduce two completely new characters roughly along these patterns.

SGC Commander. One or two star general, probably experianced with working with international forces, but relatively new to the Stargate Program itself. Perhaps someone who had a position with NATO, NORAD, or Central Command. This would set up a bit of interpersonal trust and conflict with the three orginal members of SG1. Is this person a plant, are they a good guy, are they a bad guy? The ambigiousness of this could be carried on for a couple episodes instead of resolved rather quickly like it was with Weir.

SG1 XO. A captain or major, military officer, probably male (though the SGC commander need not be), either from another SG team or another special operations branch. Someone who balances out Carter, perhaps someone who clashes with her a little. Let Carter prove herself as a soldier and a commander in a paralle way to the way she had to prove herself to O'Neill in the first season. Maybe have this person have some past connection with the new base commander so you wonder a bit about him too.

Best idea so far(particular giving the new commander and XO some shared history. What might also work(given that Jack won't be around) is possibly adding in a non-US SG1 XO! Maybe Russian, ideally British;)....

Unas
November 18th, 2004, 12:05 PM
And IIRC people who have been a host before, can't be 'used' again.

I'm saying the Tokra dont count. Even if the Tokra goes rogue it wont have hostile intentions. A goa'uld has malevolent intentions. There is no rule that people can become hosts multiple times. I think you confused the "body cant support more than one symbiote at a time" rule. A jaffa cant be a host if his pouch is full, but if its empty he can. When Apophis layed dying, he asked Sam if she wanted to be a host again.

priornavalperson
November 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM
And IIRC people who have been a host before, can't be 'used' again.I don't thnk that's true.:p In the episode Serpent's Song, Apophis after sensing that Captain Carter had been a host, tells her that she would make a fine host for Sokar's new Queen.:D

Major Fischer
November 18th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I don't thnk that's true.:p In the episode Serpent's Song, Apophis after sensing that Captain Carter had been a host, tells her that she would make a fine host for Sokar's new Queen.:D

And Martouf wanted to shove Selmack in Sam.

shw77
November 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
the tok'ra r dying off, but eventully they will need to team up with earth in order to have the resourses to defeat the gu'old, maybe jacab could be the cammander of an off world base?

Major Fischer
November 18th, 2004, 01:56 PM
the tok'ra r dying off, but eventully they will need to team up with earth in order to have the resourses to defeat the gu'old, maybe jacab could be the cammander of an off world base?

About as likely as the SGC using flying toasters as a super weapon. There are already questions all over the government about members of SG1 and their previous alien influences. Anyone with a snake in the head. Any snake in the head. Tok'ra or not, will not be considered for any position of command.

gatebee
November 18th, 2004, 04:10 PM
If RDA has to really leave as Gen. O'neill, which of course for me would be a very sad day, I think his replacement should be Air Force Chief of Staff, Gen. John P. Jumper. He, first of all, is a real general. Second, he watches the show and should be able to take over were Gen. O'neill leaves off.

Major Fischer
November 18th, 2004, 04:43 PM
If RDA has to really leave as Gen. O'neill, which of course for me would be a very sad day, I think his replacement should be Air Force Chief of Staff, Gen. John P. Jumper. He, first of all, is a real general. Second, he watches the show and should be able to take over were Gen. O'neill leaves off.

Man is probably a little busy. You know, like running the air force. ;) :p

Unas
November 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM
This thread is getting repetitive.

Noone seems to be looking at previous posts to see why Jacob or a 4 star general cant take the position. I know after I post this, someone's going to recommend Jacob again. :S

The Jumper idea is the most wacked out one I've seen. A REAL AF general will quit his job to play a fake one on TV??? Come on!

NightGloom
November 18th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I think Jacob should be in command! :D

Hey, you had it coming....

Jack doesn't HAVE to be in an episode and he could still be in command. Maybe it'll make them stop having all earth based episodes and they can get that big round thingy-majigy working again...

Major Fischer
November 18th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I don't think any number of non-earth based episodes will make having a non-visible SGC commander make anymore sense. It will than look like he is too detached from the team, and doesn't know whats going on.

I think that we have to face the reality that the SGC is part of SG1, and that is a position that a face has to be in. In the kind of limited schedual they are talking about for RDA, that's not the best use of Jack.

shw77
November 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
About as likely as the SGC using flying toasters as a super weapon. There are already questions all over the government about members of SG1 and their previous alien influences. Anyone with a snake in the head. Any snake in the head. Tok'ra or not, will not be considered for any position of command.

Jack had a snake in his head, nows hes in charge?

ShadowMaat
November 18th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Man is probably a little busy. You know, like running the air force. ;) :p
Yeah. Methinks he has bigger concerns than the war with the goa'uld. Like the war against the rest of the planet. :P

Major Fischer
November 19th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Jack had a snake in his head, nows hes in charge?

The key part of that sentence is had.

AzMcNeil
December 2nd, 2004, 02:50 PM
The idea of Jack being infested by a gouald is great...i t would deffiently make my season 9 the best ever. What a way to end a great show.

Now if this was to happen, I do like the idea of the 3 remaining members of SG1 taking temporary command (just till they rescue/kill Jack). I think they could do it asa team, but if someone was to be appointed as their new leader I throw my vote in for Major Davis. Yes he is just a major but he has also been one of the best side characters that is actual working within the SGC. Anyone else agree???

Unas
December 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
I think they could do it asa team, but if someone was to be appointed as their new leader I throw my vote in for Major Davis. Yes he is just a major but he has also been one of the best side characters that is actual working within the SGC. Anyone else agree???

Do you mean SGC commander or SG1 teammate?
Any new team member would mean a new story arc. TPTB tried that with Jonas and his genes, but because he was written out, that arc was left dangling. The writers are probably very reluctant to go down that path again in what may be the last season.

keshou
December 2nd, 2004, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking Hammond may be back in command of the SGC. Probably not present in every episode, more of a recurring character.

Jack will probably be:
*missing/goa'ulded/deep-freezed/lost in time/lost in another AU
*transferred to Washington
*transferred to command the Alpha Base

I'm not sure about Major Davis being in command of the SGC. Seems like they would carry on the tradition of having a General in command and he'd have to move up the ranks pretty fast to make General. I wouldn't mind seeing him around more, though. He's a cutie. :D

shw77
December 15th, 2004, 05:09 PM
if jacob was too loose his snake would he be in consideration for the job? also when jack was frozen, what was he listed as? dead? missin in action? same with daniel? I think season 9 should be jacob as the leader of the sgc against jack with a snake in the head , all ending with hammand leadin an act on jack's mothership outside the atlantis base? with kindsey doin something bad

gatebee
December 15th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Jack can remain as commander. It all depends on great writing. I would prefer all 4.
Gatebee :D :D :D

alz0rz
December 15th, 2004, 06:17 PM
If noone has said it prior to this, i nominate Ben Browder. :)

corey2002
December 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM
they might indicate that he is there(ex:carter"im going to talk to the general" next scene-carter"the general said...") but not show him

Ancient 1
December 16th, 2004, 12:02 AM
I've only skimmed over the first page, but I do see a pattern developing. You seem to think the person who runs the SGC is going to be military. Remember that Jack got the job because, according to Weir #1, he was the only acceptable military person who could run it. So now I'm guessing that TPTB will try to place some politically correct-non qualified eggheaded political science major in as SGC commander...and I also think that decision would suck!

Kliggins
December 16th, 2004, 12:53 AM
I wonder if General Kerrigan seen in Prodigy and Proving Ground would be a possibility. He already has some knowledge of the Stargate Program, he would have all the necessary clearances, and is part of the Air Force.

Matt G
December 16th, 2004, 07:50 AM
I can think of worse ideas if there is a new general at the SGC. He's already got a bond with Sam for starters!

Wyrminarrd
December 16th, 2004, 08:49 AM

That doesn´t really hold water as most of the other big powers on earth already know about the existence of the SGC (Britain, France, Russia, and China).

More likely reason is that a reporter might become curious as start asking questions and then get run over by a car ;)

They should just bring in a new general to run the place, perhaps even from another branch of the service as the importance of the gate becomes greater it starts to involve many more non-airforce personal.

And as for Jack, he should be given a noble, heroic death that saves the galaxy from something or other. He deserves a grand exit from the series.

BruTak
December 17th, 2004, 03:13 AM
That doesn´t really hold water as most of the other big powers on earth already know about the existence of the SGC (Britain, France, Russia, and China).

More likely reason is that a reporter might become curious as start asking questions and then get run over by a car ;)

They should just bring in a new general to run the place, perhaps even from another branch of the service as the importance of the gate becomes greater it starts to involve many more non-airforce personal.

And as for Jack, he should be given a noble, heroic death that saves the galaxy from something or other. He deserves a grand exit from the series.
I may have suggested this before in other threads, but I'd love to see a new SGC C.O. played by Dale Dye.
Either that or have G.I. Joe take over the SCG...

MR ONION
December 17th, 2004, 07:00 AM
okay why not Ronny Cox as the commander, I know everyone hates him, but think of all the Drama, the confrontations, the complications, yes, it could be intresting tv, That Dang Sen running the show at SGC. Muhahahhahh.

Ancient 1
December 17th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I don't think any number of non-earth based episodes will make having a non-visible SGC commander make anymore sense. It will than look like he is too detached from the team, and doesn't know whats going on.

I think that we have to face the reality that the SGC is part of SG1, and that is a position that a face has to be in. In the kind of limited schedual they are talking about for RDA, that's not the best use of Jack.

I think you have the 2 switched; SG1 is a part of the SGC, but I get your point. Meanwhile all the earth-based episodes make sense for leaving General O'neill out of it for the most part. This way we can pretend that he is actually back doing some real work with the round spinny thing and the other teams. :o