PDA

View Full Version : Arrogance.

Buck32
October 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
After watching the DVD extras of SGA season 4 in particular the "Save Carson Beckett" extra, one thing is clear to me The Show Runners are arrogant, after watching Martin Gero interveiwing fans outside the studio one thought came to mind. These are people who don't give a toss about the fans of their show, i mean this guy was pretty much laughing at them, so it no longer surpises me that they would cancel SGA, and pitch us some ill conceived substitute like SGU.

Does anyone agree/disagree??

Reiko
October 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'd like to say more than a few things about their arrogance, but I'll probably get noodled. I'll send you a PM since we seem to be in the same mind.

jenks
October 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
If one thing is for sure, you can always count on Martin Gero to be deadly serious and 100% genuine in everything he says when he appears in special features... wait...

LostCityGuardian
October 6th, 2008, 06:09 PM
After watching the DVD extras of SGA season 4 in particular the "Save Carson Beckett" extra, one thing is clear to me The Show Runners are arrogant, after watching Martin Gero interveiwing fans outside the studio one thought came to mind. These are people who don't give a toss about the fans of their show, i mean this guy was pretty much laughing at them, so it no longer surpises me that they would cancel SGA, and pitch us some ill conceived substitute like SGU.

Mind if I quote myself from another thread?

TBTB, MGM, Scifi and any other creator/funder of TV or films are looking for one thing - profit. Unfortunately, they value fans because we watch the show, not because we are fans. The majority of people who watch SGA are casual watchers, not members of the fandom. But this is the lowest common denominator that is aimed for, because that is what earns the money. Not people posting on Gateworld suggesting why they think the show is or is not on the right track. Those people are valued, but for the hour of their time they invest watching the show each week, not because they care deeply enough to post praise/criticism. Unfortunately, that's the simple truth - I'm sure they don't see it as a betrayal because they see the fan as defined by the majority of watchers - those who will enjoy it no matter what changes are made, whether within SGA or switching to SGU. That's not Gateworld members.

General Yogi Bear
October 7th, 2008, 12:33 AM
TPTB do care. The GateWorlders are their core audience. If they start to lose us than its over. Also alot of the cast and crew have their own websites/blogs for the fans. I mean right now on Joe Malozzis blog he is taking questions from fans that will be asked to Brad Wright.

akren
October 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I think it is a mix of both, they want/need to make money to help pay for the show, the actors, etc; on the other hand it does seem a slap in the face when they cancel SGA & green-light SGU in the same breath, even if they say it wasn't so. :P

I reserve judgment & plead the 5th. Let the :prior: light the way ;) hehe

JadedWraith
October 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM

I partially disagree. I saw the same images and my take on MG reaction was something on these lines : "Wow, fans do take the characters seriously. Way too seriously. Come on guys, this is light entertainment..." To him it's just his job. I think he was a bit overwhelmed with the fan's reaction to Beckett's disappearance. If they,TPTB, didn't care at all, why the return of the Beckett clone? I am the first to criticize the show but I realise they can't nor shouldn't please everybody with the story development choices. And yes, I did miss Beckett, I am glad to have him back, but Sunday is a great episode.

CazzBlade
October 7th, 2008, 02:35 AM
TPTB do care. The GateWorlders are their core audience. If they start to lose us than its over.

Really? Because from what I'm seeing they've lost a aproximately a third or us by cancelling SGA for SGU!

Ikaros
October 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM
TPTB do care. The GateWorlders are their core audience. If they start to lose us than its over. Also alot of the cast and crew have their own websites/blogs for the fans. I mean right now on Joe Malozzis blog he is taking questions from fans that will be asked to Brad Wright.

You really believe that? Because they gave me a totaly different idea..

Falcon Horus
October 7th, 2008, 03:40 AM
If they,TPTB, didn't care at all, why the return of the Beckett clone?

They don't give a rat's behind about their audience. Beckett's back because the current set JM & PM wanted him back. The campaign just offered them some free advertisement, which they would be all too eager to get, cause that does cost money you know.

stargatefan234
October 7th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Yes, they give so little of a toss (Are You In The UK?) that they brought Carson Back :P

quade_1
October 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Yes they didn't care about the fans at all. They brought him back for you guys anyway they could, which ended up being the stupidest story arc ever. The show suffered just so you guys could have your Beckett back.

And as an overall comment, I support Martin Gero. He laughed because you guys need to take your heads out of the clouds and realize its a TV show. He was probably thinking "if these guys could only see how stupid they look".

Falcon Horus
October 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Have people simply forgot reading my post above... Or am I on your ignore-lists!

PM & JM wanted Beckett back - the campaign was simply used for free advertisiments (hate to say it like that - I support it in mind).

kymeric
October 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Not to be rude but they prolly dont even know you exist. Of the 2 million viewing fans +the downloaders and the dvd set buyers gateworld is a fraction of a percent, and is not a representive sample AT ALL of the audience. Of that fraction of a percent maybe 20 people on here are trollers who really hate the shows and post alot of negativity. If i were the TPTB i would go out of my way to agitate those 20 people, after all they cant hurt the show unless their rich uncle owns NBC or something. Any attention is good attention.

Frankly given how some people act on this forum i HOPE tptb dont respect or listen.

thekillman
October 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM
they HAVE lost quite some people by doing that. but probably also gained a ton.

jelgate
October 7th, 2008, 10:21 AM
A lot of times these things balance out. They probably lost fans but I bet new fans will show up when SGU airs

editorguy
October 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM

As the person who cut this piece, I can tell you that the intention of this piece was to highlight and appreciate the intense support this show has from it's fan base and have a laugh at the same time. Would it have been better if these people weren't recognized at all? Would you feel the same way if the producers and actors stayed up in their offices and trailers and refused to see or talk to any of them?

One of the best parts about Stargate is it's sense of humour, and for the most part that sense of humour is shared by it's fans, whether it's directed at the show itself or the millions of people who tune in.

Seriously. They had nothing to do with the canceling of the show. They have repeatedly said they wanted a chance to do more.

It's time to move on people.

Madeleine
October 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Have you never found the extras to be rather tongue-in-cheek before? I often have. They mock each other all the time, they mock the set builders, the cameramen, the cast, the stuntmen... it's all in a spirit of fun.

I think you're reading an awful lot into a very small piece. Do you really imagine that you can guage the entire set of feelings of all of TPTB towards all fans, from one short segment of one PTB's interactions with a small number of non-representative fans?

I think it's going a little far to speak for other people like that. For instance, I could make sweeping assumptions about your personality on the basis of what you've written in a few short posts, but that would be pretty arrogant ;)

As to what impression TPTB receive of us fans, I hope to goodness that they know that there are quiet and stable fans out here. The problem is - and this is by no means confined to SG fandom - that the one fan who stands outside your office in order to swear at you and threaten you, is rather more memorable than the five who merely smiled and waved.

I worry that at times they find us an ungrateful bunch. I mean, the symbiotic relationship between us and them outhg to be neutral: they make, we buy, they make more, we buy more or don't buy more, they get paid more or less... and so on. No one owes anyone else anything; we buy, they sell, we can chose not to buy, they can chose to stop making and selling. And yet if they do chose to stop making, a worrying number of people screech at them. And if they make stuff 'wrong', a worrying number of people can't accept that it's not a fan's place to screech 'clearly your decision to do something I dislike means that you have no respect for me or any other fan!' until the writers recant.

I've no problem with fan campaigns, but this sort of abuse of PTB, accusing them of not respecting fans "because they're making a show which does not conform exactly to everything I liked about SG1 and SGA plus all that I wanted SG1 and SGA to be SGU" strikes me as... arrogant.

kymeric
October 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
As the person who cut this piece, I can tell you that the intention of this piece was to highlight and appreciate the intense support this show has from it's fan base and have a laugh at the same time. Would it have been better if these people weren't recognized at all? Would you feel the same way if the producers and actors stayed up in their offices and trailers and refused to see or talk to any of them?

One of the best parts about Stargate is it's sense of humour, and for the most part that sense of humour is shared by it's fans, whether it's directed at the show itself or the millions of people who tune in.

Seriously. They had nothing to do with the canceling of the show. They have repeatedly said they wanted a chance to do more.

It's time to move on people.

Owned.

And id like to say it was a good tribute to the fans. They were very nice to Mr Gero and he was friendly and playful. Plus they got to see themselves on a stargate dvd, wut fan would love that!

Reiko
October 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, they give so little of a toss (Are You In The UK?) that they brought Carson Back :P

Like FH said -- it was the free advertisement. That's all. Though, as much as they deny it, I don't truly believe a) they weren't in on the original descision, b) they really want him back that much. Oh, and that his reasons for removal extend beyond the whole "shaking things up". (As which, we have learned is a codeword for bullsh*t.)

I'm not even gonna get into Weir.:mckay:

Not to be rude but they prolly dont even know you exist.

They know I exist. I am one of those "shrill and ill-informed lemmings" they speak of. ;)

Rac80
October 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM
If one thing is for sure, you can always count on Martin Gero to be deadly serious and 100% genuine in everything he says when he appears in special features... wait...

;) yep, he takes things as seriously as they :indeed:should be taken!

spinny magee
October 8th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Arrogant eh?.........

GhostPoet
October 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
It's a mix of both. first and formost they want the casual watcher to get into the show...they are the ones that pay the bills. NOT the core fandom.

However, they also try to ride the line and keep the core fandom as happy as they can...because they know if the core is happy...then word of mouth will spread to other casual watchers and bring in more ratings. We are a means to an end.