This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrogance.

After watching the DVD extras of SGA season 4 in particular the "Save Carson Beckett" extra, one thing is clear to me The Show Runners are arrogant, after watching Martin Gero interveiwing fans outside the studio one thought came to mind. These are people who don't give a toss about the fans of their show, i mean this guy was pretty much laughing at them, so it no longer surpises me that they would cancel SGA, and pitch us some ill conceived substitute like SGU.

Does anyone agree/disagree??

I'd like to say more than a few things about their arrogance, but I'll probably get noodled. I'll send you a PM since we seem to be in the same mind.

Comment

If one thing is for sure, you can always count on Martin Gero to be deadly serious and 100% genuine in everything he says when he appears in special features... wait...
      Last edited by jenks; 06 October 2008, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
        After watching the DVD extras of SGA season 4 in particular the "Save Carson Beckett" extra, one thing is clear to me The Show Runners are arrogant, after watching Martin Gero interveiwing fans outside the studio one thought came to mind. These are people who don't give a toss about the fans of their show, i mean this guy was pretty much laughing at them, so it no longer surpises me that they would cancel SGA, and pitch us some ill conceived substitute like SGU.

Mind if I quote myself from another thread?

Originally posted by LostCityGuardian View Post
        TBTB, MGM, Scifi and any other creator/funder of TV or films are looking for one thing - profit. Unfortunately, they value fans because we watch the show, not because we are fans. The majority of people who watch SGA are casual watchers, not members of the fandom. But this is the lowest common denominator that is aimed for, because that is what earns the money. Not people posting on Gateworld suggesting why they think the show is or is not on the right track. Those people are valued, but for the hour of their time they invest watching the show each week, not because they care deeply enough to post praise/criticism. Unfortunately, that's the simple truth - I'm sure they don't see it as a betrayal because they see the fan as defined by the majority of watchers - those who will enjoy it no matter what changes are made, whether within SGA or switching to SGU. That's not Gateworld members.

Comment

TPTB do care. The GateWorlders are their core audience. If they start to lose us than its over. Also alot of the cast and crew have their own websites/blogs for the fans. I mean right now on Joe Malozzis blog he is taking questions from fans that will be asked to Brad Wright.

Comment

I think it is a mix of both, they want/need to make money to help pay for the show, the actors, etc; on the other hand it does seem a slap in the face when they cancel SGA & green-light SGU in the same breath, even if they say it wasn't so.

I reserve judgment & plead the 5th. Let the light the way hehe

Comment

I partially disagree. I saw the same images and my take on MG reaction was something on these lines : "Wow, fans do take the characters seriously. Way too seriously. Come on guys, this is light entertainment..." To him it's just his job. I think he was a bit overwhelmed with the fan's reaction to Beckett's disappearance. If they,TPTB, didn't care at all, why the return of the Beckett clone? I am the first to criticize the show but I realise they can't nor shouldn't please everybody with the story development choices. And yes, I did miss Beckett, I am glad to have him back, but Sunday is a great episode.
              sigpic
              Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
              Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Originally posted by General Yogi Bear View Post
                TPTB do care. The GateWorlders are their core audience. If they start to lose us than its over.
                Really? Because from what I'm seeing they've lost a aproximately a third or us by cancelling SGA for SGU!
                What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by General Yogi Bear View Post
                  TPTB do care. The GateWorlders are their core audience. If they start to lose us than its over. Also alot of the cast and crew have their own websites/blogs for the fans. I mean right now on Joe Malozzis blog he is taking questions from fans that will be asked to Brad Wright.
                  You really believe that? Because they gave me a totaly different idea..
                  Spoiler:
                  APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                  (YEAR 0 - 100)
                  "O thou Sun,
                  send me as far over the earth
                  as is my pleasure and thine,
                  and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                  but never hear anything of bad ones,
                  nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
                    If they,TPTB, didn't care at all, why the return of the Beckett clone?
                    They don't give a rat's behind about their audience. Beckett's back because the current set JM & PM wanted him back. The campaign just offered them some free advertisement, which they would be all too eager to get, cause that does cost money you know.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yes, they give so little of a toss (Are You In The UK?) that they brought Carson Back
                      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Yes they didn't care about the fans at all. They brought him back for you guys anyway they could, which ended up being the stupidest story arc ever. The show suffered just so you guys could have your Beckett back.

And as an overall comment, I support Martin Gero. He laughed because you guys need to take your heads out of the clouds and realize its a TV show. He was probably thinking "if these guys could only see how stupid they look".

Comment

Have people simply forgot reading my post above... Or am I on your ignore-lists!

PM & JM wanted Beckett back - the campaign was simply used for free advertisiments (hate to say it like that - I support it in mind).
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not to be rude but they prolly dont even know you exist. Of the 2 million viewing fans +the downloaders and the dvd set buyers gateworld is a fraction of a percent, and is not a representive sample AT ALL of the audience. Of that fraction of a percent maybe 20 people on here are trollers who really hate the shows and post alot of negativity. If i were the TPTB i would go out of my way to agitate those 20 people, after all they cant hurt the show unless their rich uncle owns NBC or something. Any attention is good attention.

Frankly given how some people act on this forum i HOPE tptb dont respect or listen.

Comment

they HAVE lost quite some people by doing that. but probably also gained a ton.

Comment

Working...
                              X