Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the sanctuary actually a zoo for strange people and abnormal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the sanctuary actually a zoo for strange people and abnormal?

I didn't see any of the webisodes. But while watching the first episode of Sanctuary during Helen's little visit to Will of the sanctuary I had the impression that those abnormal are in fact in some kind of zoo. Especially with the mermaid and others displayed on the windows like this. She then says that the sanctuary is actually not a zoo. Which reassured me on the moral virtue of the sanctuary. But, again thinking about it. It does seem like a zoo. For example, I have a hard time imagining that the mermaid would no be in a better place somewhere in the sea. What about the little boy with the fear tentacles? Is he now obligated to live in the sanctuary forever or will Helen help him to re-insert himself in the society if that is his wish? The same goes for every other creatures (which are said to be sentient). Maybe its too soon to ask that question, but I wish things will get more clear in the lollowing episodes about what the sanctuary offer for services to the abnormal beside the exclusions from the society. For example, why hide the fact to the society that some people have very strange genetics mutations?
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

what i'm thinking, no, it's not a zoo in that they don't charge admission and put the people on display. the room was helen's lab and i'm thinking the 'zoo' and its windows is a way to allow the abbys contact with each otehr while protecting them from each other as well.

like helen said, some came voluntarily, others were brought there against their will. and, i would guess, the abbys that are brought there are teh ones that can't/won't control their power and are drawing attention to themselves. I think the survival of the abbys depends on the random public not knowing that they exist.

those that can hide who they are and 'fit in' can live out in the world. those that can't - and let's face it, mermaids and people made of fire are kinda conspicious - well the only safe place for them might be in a cage or refuge.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well, it did sorta come off as a zoo.

I couldn't help, especially after Ashley was talking about things like "Gen Pop", that it reminded me of The Vault, the superhuman jail in the Marvel Universe. Especially since they have a "dangerous Abnormal" wing! (gee, think there's going to be a 'Prison Break' episode, or at least the point of a future cliffhanger...."If we don't get power restored in 5 minutes, the Chimera, the Fenris, even the Gorgon are going to be free to reign terror on the city!"....cue music and fadeout"

But we saw a Harpy/Angel/bird person flying free above, so maybe they aren't all in cells.

Comment

lol

quite possibly

sigpic

Comment

It's not a zoo. They're not on show for anyone. It's more like a hotel/prison. Hotel for the nice creatures who want a place to stay, and prison for the bad ones.

Comment

one could argue that a leper colony is actually a prison, yet it all comes down to

can some come and go?
            are those that can't come and go kept for a reason?
            did some come voluntarily?
            are denizens in danger if they leave?

sigpic

Comment

This is a cross post I made in the episode thread.

I don't think it's a zoo. It's a prison for the dangerous killer instinct monster and a safe haven for the abnormals that aren't dangerous and can't defend themselves. Also those abnormals like Alexi that with some guidance can learn to control the abnormal aspect. Watching the scene where Sylvio (weapons guy) is talking to Ashley. He makes a few comments about how much the abnormals like Alexi and John would be worth on the open market. And Ashley says something like no sorry you deal with us you play by our rules. So maybe the sanctuary is also a safe place for abnormals hiding from bounty hunters or people trying to make money by capturing them. Especially those like Alexi that can't survive in the city alone.
              Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 08 October 2008, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

in other words you have

harmful abbys
                harmless abbys
                abbys that can pass as human
                (and any combo of the above)

then add to the mix
                those that would hunt the abbys for sport
                those that would 'collect' the abbys (like a status symbol thing)

and the sanctuary serves to

keep those that can't play well with others contained
                keep those that could be victimized safe
                help those that can pass for human learn to control their powers so they can live 'normal' lives
                keep existence of the abbys secret from everyone else

sigpic

Comment

I really don't think it's a zoo, but moreso a safe haven for good ones and prison for bad ones.
                  http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    can some come and go?
                    are those that can't come and go kept for a reason?
                    did some come voluntarily?
                    are denizens in danger if they leave?

I agree with that. I think they already made their point that some of the abnormal are too dangerous to be released. So for them, the sanctuary is a prison. But for the others, I wish they'll make it more clear in the followings episodes that the abnormal can freely come and go, if they don't pose a threat to themselves or the society. Also, it would be nice if we see that the sanctuary sometimes try to help the abnormal to re-insert themselves into the society like for the little kid with the tentacles. Possibly with some technical help. For examples, can the tentacles be cut off? Psychologically controlled? In fact, the sanctuary team could have some abnormal friends outside the society. Maybe people that were once "saved" by the sanctuary.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

yeah, if we'd see some 'reformed' abbys, living as 'normal' humans, then it'd support the theory that the sanctuary isn't a zoo

sigpic

Comment

I agree, it's a prison for the dangerous ones and a "sanctuary" for the nice/harmless ones.

Gate Rider AKA Abnormal on the Sanctuary fan forums.
                        Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

and what happens if:

a perfectly controlled abby thinks the world should know that they all exist, and is ready to go to the press and reveal that abbys exist and are all around them

what would the sanctuary folks do?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            in other words you have

harmful abbys
                            harmless abbys
                            abbys that can pass as human
                            (and any combo of the above)

then add to the mix
                            those that would hunt the abbys for sport
                            those that would 'collect' the abbys (like a status symbol thing)

and the sanctuary serves to

keep those that can't play well with others contained
                            keep those that could be victimized safe
                            help those that can pass for human learn to control their powers so they can live 'normal' lives
                            keep existence of the abbys secret from everyone else
                            I think that basically sums what I hope and think the Sanctuary is. But I do hope we get proof and answers in some later episodes. I think that for the time being keeping the audience and us guesting what the true purpose of sanctuary is, is more entertaining that way.
                            I also hope their are many more levels and many many more creatures in their.

Comment

In my mind, it's more like a refuge, or a preserve. Just like a wildlife preserve protects animals and helps them live as normal and natural a life as possible, while safeguarding humans from the more dangerous species by keeping them separated from civilization, the sanctuary allows those who could either be a danger to humans, or in danger from humans, a chance to live in as safe, and as natural, an environment as is possible.

The difference here is that assistance is offered to help those who can be helped learn to deal with their abnormalities, whereas such therapy isn't necessary for wild animals in a refuge.

Because of this, it reminds me most (so far) of the X-Men, and Xavier's mansion, which was also a sanctuary for mutants, and a place where they could learn to control their powers, and use them in more effective and useful ways.

das
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X