Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Will Zimmerman remind you of Daniel Jackson?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Will Zimmerman remind you of Daniel Jackson?

I enjoyed the premier of Sanctuary, but to me it seemed that Will was a bit like Daniel Jackson. He's a really smart guy who is laughed at for his beliefs, and is drummed out of his field, but then is introduced to an amazing women in a rainstorm who shows him an incredible secret that changes his life forever. Not to mention, they have the same kind of look, and the diplomat personality. I'm not saying Will is a rip-off of Daniel, I just think they might both represent the same archetype. What do you think?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Yeah. What you said.

I agree.

I was a bit appalled by the lack of creativity in the creation of the character of Will.

The show didn't hold my interest so I won't be watching the followup episodes so I won't be able to gauge if the character is more than a Daniel Jackson copy in bothy physical looks and life details.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      I enjoyed the premier of Sanctuary, but to me it seemed that Will was a bit like Daniel Jackson. He's a really smart guy who is laughed at for his beliefs, and is drummed out of his field, but then is introduced to an amazing women in a rainstorm who shows him an incredible secret that changes his life forever. Not to mention, they have the same kind of look, and the diplomat personality. I'm not saying Will is a rip-off of Daniel, I just think they might both represent the same archetype. What do you think?
      I think they are different characters. If you or others want to compare Will and Daniel, especially if that is an aspect you enjoy. There is nothing wrong with it. Unless there are those that want to degrade Sanctuary or the Will character because of what they feel are similarities is the only time I will give my opinion.

I'll be honest I don't see Daniel when I see Will. I see two different characters. Their jobs are different, their skills are different. Will is a forensic psychiatrist he has a degree not only to treat people, but also to go to crime scenes and help solve the crime. Something Daniel can't do. He has PhD in archaeology.

I think there are similarities like Helen and Cathrine approaching them about their strange beliefs, but I think even there it's limited.
      Spoiler:
      Will actually experienced it. He was there as a child and it changed his life. He was 8 years old and the stress of people telling him it was his imagination he recanted... Daniel was an adult based his theory on dig sites. It was not based on an emotional tragic event.

The fact that Helen is the one that saved Will as a child, ends the similarities between Helen and Cathrine. Helen didn't just hear from the grapevine or read a book of Wills to determine he was someone that might be able to help. Helen knew Will had experienced it, because she was there. She saw him and the effects it had on him. Will is very reluctant to join the Magnus women. He lets them do the fighting while he deals with the abnormals on a psychological level.

Comment

Notice I didn't say that Will was a carbon copy of Daniel. I merely noted that they were similar in some respects, and it was enough similarity that I noticed it. I thought he was a very Daniel-esque character, or at least a character in the same vein as Daniel. I'm quite certain Daniel isn't the progenitor of the "really smart guy with weird beliefs is thrown into adventure involving those beliefs" kind of character.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
          I think they are different characters. If you or others want to compare Will and Daniel, especially if that is an aspect you enjoy. There is nothing wrong with it. Unless there are those that want to degrade Sanctuary or the Will character because of what they feel are similarities is the only time I will give my opinion.

I'll be honest I don't see Daniel when I see Will. I see two different characters. Their jobs are different, their skills are different. Will is a forensic psychiatrist he has a degree not only to treat people, but also to go to crime scenes and help solve the crime. Something Daniel can't do. He has PhD in archaeology.

I think there are similarities like Helen and Cathrine approaching them about their strange beliefs, but I think even there it's limited.
          Spoiler:
          Will actually experienced it. He was there as a child and it changed his life. He was 8 years old and the stress of people telling him it was his imagination he recanted... Daniel was an adult based his theory on dig sites. It was not based on an emotional tragic event.

The fact that Helen is the one that saved Will as a child, ends the similarities between Helen and Cathrine. Helen didn't just hear from the grapevine or read a book of Wills to determine he was someone that might be able to help. Helen knew Will had experienced it, because she was there. She saw him and the effects it had on him. Will is very reluctant to join the Magnus women. He lets them do the fighting while he deals with the abnormals on a psychological level.
          Daniel has PhD's in archaeology, anthropology and philology, according to the episode The Scourge.

I saw more physical resemblance to Daniel than in the actual character himself, the hair, the glasses (which had the same mysterious disappearing act as Daniels) even the eyebrows!
          The back story does hark back to Daniel's troubles with his peers, but Daniel wasn't the first character to have that backstory; it's only the close proximity of Sanctuary to Stargate which is drawing the comparisons.
          Storm has Modesty Blaze's back story; didn't make her less of a character (just meant that Chris Claremont is a big O'Donnell fan).

I'm sure Wil will soon come into his own, it was a promising start to the character, the actor will soon make him memorable.

FF
          sigpic

Comment

Yes! I even thought they looked similar near the beginning. But I thought less so towards the end.

Comment

Yes a lot. I thought the lines he was say were the exact same lines that would come out of Daniel. I even though they looked the same.

To be honest it the same writers working with the same sought of character makeup. I am hoping to see more differences in the upcoming episodes.

Comment

Realistically, any character in creation can be comapred to another character. Just as there are only so many basic story ideas there are only so many basic core templates to bulid a character off of.

Personally, I think if you're going to get all up in arms about a character being too similar to another it should be Henry. He's the classic archetypal "tech guy" who's smart but maybe a bit socially awkward. So far he's pretty stock whereas Will isn't.

Like Frostfox said, it's because we're Stargate fans that we're seeing the similarity to Daniel.

And finally, picking on physical similarities between Michael Shanks and Robin Dunne is just... dumb. People look how they look. When Ben Browder joined SG-1 all the Farscape fans immediately paralleled how much Browder and Shanks looked the same. It's even why Daniel started season 9 with a beard as Shanks stated in an interview.

Comment

will is just 'slightly geeky scientist with glasses'

it's a common stereotype

Like mckay being an antisocial science geek or jack being the 'crack soldier with a troubled background'

just a common stereotype and like others have siad, it's up to the actor to take the stereotype sketch and make it something unique
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Will definitely reminds me of Daniel so far. Time will tell though, as his character develops.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

As Vala would say, I like this planet, even if it does have a limited gene pool.

Will physically resembles Daniel, but they're not the same character at all. Sure they're both brilliant scientists, but that's it. They have completely different degrees and back stories.

And, since I was 14 when Stargate started and I thunked on Daniel for years, having a little replica closer to my age to thunk on as a 25 year old is fine by me!
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes. I thought this show was better then expected and I think one of the reasons was that his character was immediatly likeable to me and reminded me a lot of the old Daniel before they destroyed the character.

I look forward to seeing this character develop and hope he can avoid the same pitfalls (if the show can make it 8 seasons).
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post

No.

Not a whiff, hint, intimation, or suggestion of Daniel Jackson did I find with Will Zimmerman.

An older version of Harry Potter maybe, but definitely not Daniel Jackson.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

will seems to have less of a chip on his shoulder than early season daniel. he's a slightly tired and kinda quirky forensic pathologist who helps out the cops by using his skills and knowledge to see what they over look.

daniel was a young man that had a theory and passionately believed in it and promoted it, regardless of how it was received.

will fits in, daniel seemed to not mind not fitting in.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Not really.

Comment

Working...
                              X