Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Human City Ship (Unending Spoilers and beyond)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human City Ship (Unending Spoilers and beyond)

Does anyone think that we could make a city ship similar to Atlantis and comparable in shield strength?
    We've got the Asgard knowledge, can make their beam weapons, hyperdrive etc.
    With all technologies currently used by the SGC and Area 51 describe or design what you'd like it to be like.

Hmm i don't know i mean what would they use a city ship for i mean with the phoenix getting built meaning they will have 4 ships that have huge advantages over the wraith ain't that enough?
    Tst

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
      Does anyone think that we could make a city ship similar to Atlantis and comparable in shield strength?
      With all technologies currently used by the SGC and Area 51 describe or design what you'd like it to be like.
      No. Asgard tech doesn't begin to match up to Ancient tech.

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
        Hmm i don't know i mean what would they use a city ship for i mean with the phoenix getting built meaning they will have 4 ships that have huge advantages over the wraith ain't that enough?
        We don't know that pheonix will exist. In the Last Man,
        Spoiler:
        Carter got command of Phoenix when Michael started his campain against Pegasus Galaxy. When Sheppard went back in time before all that happen, the Future changed. For all we know Phoenix was ONLY being rushed into service becuase of those future events that will never happen anymore.

If we do see it, then it was already being built before that happened, but i would not bet on seeing Phoenix anytime soon or never.
        sigpic
        Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

gatetrek i remember something being mentioned about the Phoenix and apparently it is getting built,but hey who knows it could just be a rumour. But i am very certain these are far from rumours
          Tst

Comment

Why would we need a City ship. It's not like we could just suddenly tell the public about aliens and traveling to other planets. They would go crazy. So if we can't put civillians in the City ship than whats the use for it.

You could use something like that as a transport but what is the point in that really a city should hold around 500,000 people minimum. Altantis is said to be able to hold about 5 million or maybe it was 2 billion but i can't remember

It's not like bigger is better or anything.

Quite often smaller is better.

There is no point in it unless civillians found out about it and we used it to explore other galaxies and discover new technology.

I think the idea is crap. Could work but would take a lot of build up.

One other thing asguard technolgy isn't better than the ancients technolgy it doesn't even equal it. I highly doubt that be would be able to put something as bug as atlantis together without something being found out about it. Also it would most likely just fall apart.

I couldn't be bothered designing it cause it wont happen but if it was to happen i'd like it to be cool. Somewhat similar to atlantis but not like a copy or anything. Maybe a ship that has piers just like atlantis but the piers can be separated and used as life pods if something happens the only fault with atlantis is the fact that the auxilary control is at the bottom of the control tower. If the control tower was to get totally wiped out then there would be no way to control anything they could have put ZPM's all around the city. Instead of in the one easy to destroy spot.
            Last edited by Stargate Answers; 03 October 2008, 03:18 AM. Reason: Just to update my ideas

Comment

Ok! it seems that at this moment in time this idea may not be all that popular, the reason that I brought it up was that I've read on a number of threads that people think that the Asgard could've made their own city ship and I wanted to find out what people thought about the idea
              There's no telling what is contained within the Asgard knowledge base.
              As far as Asgard tech not coming anywhere near to the level of Ancient, in terms of making vessels I don't necessarily think that's entirely accurate, had the Asgard not died off in Unending
              Spoiler:
              I'm not counting The Lost Tribe with the unforseen number that are still around coz as far as the SGC knows they are dead
              it's likely that they would've incorporated their plasma beam tech into their fleet and this tech used on our ships, which I believe are inferior to that of the Asgard were able to wipe the floor with Asuran ships and they appear to be exactly the same as Ancient ones.

In my opinion in the near future the Stargate project and existence of aliens may be revealed to the population of Earth in the franchise.
              After this has happened humans may want to stay off world, even travel to other galaxies so a large transport ship may be required and I think a city ship would be perfect for this especially if we want to set up permanent homes on other worlds.
              The time frame that I was looking at was around ten years from now.

As far as this ship falling apart, we've never heard of an Asgard ship doing this, actually they've never been shown to be unreliable, we may have only had our ships for a few years but if they were not constantly under attack by our enemies and maintained well I'm sure they'd last.
              At the end of the day a city ship is just a bigger vessel!

Comment

Originally posted by GateTrek View Post
                We don't know that pheonix will exist. In the Last Man,
                Spoiler:
                Carter got command of Phoenix when Michael started his campain against Pegasus Galaxy. When Sheppard went back in time before all that happen, the Future changed. For all we know Phoenix was ONLY being rushed into service becuase of those future events that will never happen anymore.

If we do see it, then it was already being built before that happened, but i would not bet on seeing Phoenix anytime soon or never.
                Well, as far as the Phoenix will not exist,
                Spoiler:
                There is a hint that it will return in this reality/timeline because of two things. (In the series finale "Enemy At the Gate".) First off, the name "Pheonix" is a mythical bird within many mythologies that dies in flames and is reborn from the ashes. Therefore, given that mythical name was givin' to Earth's Battle Cruiser in Season 4's finale, "The Last Man" and "dies in flames" (becomes destroyed by flanking Wraith Hives), that can suggest that it will be reborn later in the future.

Also, Samantha Carter returns in the series finale, "Enemy At the Gate" and Joe Mallozi had this to say:

"One of the things we wanted to make sure of was that Carter's being relieved of the Atlantis command isn't seen as a demotion because, as our team pointed out in 'The Seed,' she was actually a victim of her own success. As such, the next time we see Carter (in episode 20), she'll have assumed another command position."
                (Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a post at his blog)
                We are gonna see her next time in another command position making it probable to say that the Pheonix will indeed return and Carter will be the ship commander of the BC-304 Pheonix.

Afterall, "The Last Man" can be seen as giving foreshadowing later in the series that Carter will indeed take on that position. Small things suggest this possiblitly, but it doesn't mean that.

For the actual quote of Joe Mallozi, go here:
                http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s5/520.shtml

So, who knows. That is mere suggestion. There is no ACTUAL evidence to back up the claim that will happen, but there is some events, comments, etc. that make it probable.

Just want to say that sorry for getting a bit off topic. Wanted to point that out. Thanks and I will be posting what I think about the original topic idea.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

i doubt we'd even have the resources/capabilities to build an entire city-ship. its also impractical as we dont need to be flying around all that much. an entire city of that size would also be impossible to hide on earth, and the cost of construction would be enormous.
                  -in order to finance something like that you'd have to seriously dupe the tax payers into shelling out something crazy like $700 billion all of a sudden and then have a plausible reasoning behind it (who knows something crazy and highly unlikely, like a financial crisis on wall street, that could bring about another great depression)... so i mean, it would be Very hard to do. but hey, this is sci-fi, so anything is possible... at least, i think its still scifi?... right?!?
                  -haha, im so funny
                  ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

Ok! it seems that at this moment in time this idea may not be all that popular, the reason that I brought it up was that I've read on a number of threads that people think that the Asgard could've made their own city ship and I wanted to find out what people thought about the idea
                    There's no telling what is contained within the Asgard knowledge base.
                    As far as Asgard tech not coming anywhere near to the level of Ancient, in terms of making vessels I don't necessarily think that's entirely accurate, had the Asgard not died off in Unending
                    Spoiler:
                    I'm not counting The Lost Tribe with the unforseen number that are still around coz as far as the SGC knows they are dead
                    it's likely that they would've incorporated their plasma beam tech into their fleet and this tech used on our ships, which I believe are inferior to that of the Asgard were able to wipe the floor with Asuran ships and they appear to be exactly the same as Ancient ones.

As far as this ship falling apart, we've never heard of an Asgard ship doing this, actually they've never been shown to be unreliable, we may have only had our ships for a few years but if they were not constantly under attack by our enemies and maintained well I'm sure they'd last.
                    At the end of the day a city ship is just a bigger vessel!
                    Yes the asgard could have made their own city ship if they wanted and they probably did. What i am saying is that we don't need one. Even if the fact of space transport was told to the civillians than they would be too scared to travel on the ship.

I wasn't saying that the asgard ships would fall apart but i think if we were to design a new ship it would fall apart nothing to do with the asgards. Just a flaw that was put in there by accident. The only reason why the 304's are successful is because the asgard designed them and over saw the construction.

It is not known but i don't think the asuran ships had ZPM's on them. Yes they were the same as the ancient ships but the ancients had ZPM's on all their ships.

If you have ever noticed the shield arrangements on the proper ancient ships are different. The ships actually created by the ancients have a number of sections to the shield it's not just one big shield like the 304's shields. But when the battle with the asurans occurred they just had one big shield and i think the shield was a different colour. so obviously not the same.

So we can't really compare the ships can we. I don't think the technology was at the same level as the ancients.

For some odd reason in that battle with the asurans. The asurans didn't seem like they had drones in the ships. They seemed to be launching energy blasts not Drones. so even another reason why the ships weren't the same. And not once did i see a chair that controlled drones i've seen them fired by the asurans so they deffinately know how to build them. But it didn't look like they had a control chair. Maybe they just controlled them electronically

Also we would never be able to create a big enough power source for a big city ship. Think about the energy requirements. Just too big and we don't really have spare ZPM's laying around.

But like i said we wouldn't have the need. Why have people on other planets they more planets were one the more planets need protection. Maybe we would create a ship the size of atlantis to carry out mining operations but i think that would be it.
                    Last edited by Stargate Answers; 03 October 2008, 07:10 AM. Reason: found mistakes

Comment

Simple design, make it square

Easy to build, alot more space then Atlantis, awsometasticirific

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Answers View Post
                        Yes the asgard could have made their own city ship if they wanted and they probably did. What i am saying is that we don't need one. Even if the fact of space transport was told to the civillians than they would be too scared to travel on the ship.
                        My post is contained within the spoilers tags as it's quite long:
                        Spoiler:
                        We may not need a city ship now, but in the future rather than just building static cities on the ground on other worlds it would be much easier to construct city ships within the safety of Earth and fly them to other worlds as the Ancients did with Atlantis.
                        As far as the population being too scared to travel in space it would probably be just as safe as flying on a Jumbo Jet and once people had come to terms with the Stargate truth I'm sure they would be willing to use this method of travel.

I wasn't saying that the asgard ships would fall apart but i think if we were to design a new ship it would fall apart nothing to do with the asgards. Just a flaw that was put in there by accident. The only reason why the 304's are successful is because the asgard designed them and over saw the construction.
                        Spoiler:
                        The 304s are for the most part of human design (aside from shield emitors, hyperdrive and beam weapons now), if we look at the Phoenix that was made in The Last Man after Unending so the Asgard weren't there to oversee it's construction and I don't recall them being their when we rolled out each of the previous 304s (apart from perhaps the Daedalus which had Hermiod), I must also add that the Prometheus was of human design, construction and it's structural strength was only enhanced by the Asgard in Unatural Selection (SG1 season 6).
                        The Prometheus never fell apart it just got destroyed by the Ori Satellite weapon in season 9 of SG1 (I know you didn't mention that ship but it illustrates my point further tht our ships aren't gonna just fall apart and neither would a human built city ship).
                        I'm sure we can copy elements of Atlantis's structural design to make sure it doesn't fall apart and then there's the Asgard core for info on how to strengthen the city ships hull, not to mention some extremely strong Asgard alloys for construction.

It is not known but i don't think the asuran ships had ZPM's on them. Yes they were the same as the ancient ships but the ancients had ZPM's on all their ships.
                        Spoiler:
                        There was no mention of ZPMs on either the Aurora or Orion, if the Atlantis team had found them on these vessels I'm certain they would've been mentioned.
                        I know that Todd said the Ancients started to send out their ships powered by ZPMs and I think he mentioned that the Wraith were able to ambush the Ancient war ships to steal this power supply which the Wraith used in their cloning facility, however that doesn't meen that every Ancient had a ZPM for a power source.

If you have ever noticed the shield arrangements on the proper ancient ships are different. The ships actually created by the ancients have a number of sections to the shield it's not just one big shield like the 304's shields. But when the battle with the asurans occurred they just had one big shield and i think the shield was a different colour. so obviously not the same.
                        Spoiler:
                        If you watch the battle in BAMSR the shield arrangements on the Asuran ships appear to be identical to that of the Orion in No Man's Land:
                        BAMSR battle over Asuras http://http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v...eature=related
                        No Man's Land, daedalus and Orion battle against the Wraith hives http://http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=99g0frYXFr0

So we can't really compare the ships can we. I don't think the technology was at the same level as the ancients.
                        Spoiler:
                        Asuran Aurora class ships appear to be identical to Ancient ones so I think we can compare the two.

For some odd reason in that battle with the asurans. The asurans didn't seem like they had drones in the ships. They seemed to be launching energy blasts not Drones. so even another reason why the ships weren't the same. And not once did i see a chair that controlled drones i've seen them fired by the asurans so they deffinately know how to build them. But it didn't look like they had a control chair. Maybe they just controlled them electronically
                        Spoiler:
                        If you look closely at the BAMSR battle over Asuras they are actually firing drones not energy blasts.
                        I don't recall seeing a chair either it may be that as they're machines and not Human they may be able to directly link to the systems of their technology.

Also we would never be able to create a big enough power source for a big city ship. Think about the energy requirements. Just too big and we don't really have spare ZPM's laying around.
                        Spoiler:
                        I never said that the city would use ZPMs as I'm aware of how rare they are and the fact that we can't make them yet.
                        As far as powering anti-grav thrusters, hyper drive, general systems etc, as the city would be pretty big, I meen big enough to house like a million people comfortably each power hungry section could potentially be powered off of independent Asgard Neutrino Ion Generator, or we could use multiple subspace taps like the one seen on the alternate reality Daedalus in Daedalus
                        Variations.
                        If you recall at the end of that episode Rodney said that he thought he could perfect the design and ZPM levels of power were required to power the reality drive.

But like i said we wouldn't have the need. Why have people on other planets they more planets were one the more planets need protection. Maybe we would create a ship the size of atlantis to carry out mining operations but i think that would be it.
                        Spoiler:
                        Like I said at the top of this post we may not need it now, but in say ten years this all might be public knowledge and many may want to live off world, with the Asgard Matter Conversion tech construction costs could be kept down and this could be the easiest way to settle on other worlds.
                        As far as protection goes the city ship wouldn't be defencless, it would have a powerful shield and weapons.

Comment

City ships would be useful if you want to colonize the galaxy. Instead of transporting the materials for a city on ships/through the Stargate and setting up massive mining operations on a whole new planet, you can much more easily build one on Earth and then send it out there. Then you can much more easily build permanent structures around it over time.

However, even if they wanted to colonize the galaxy, they are nowhere near being able to do anything remotely like that. Even with the boost they've gotten from access to Ancient, Asgard, and other technologies, I think they'd still be unable to in the million plus year range. They need more than just alien databases and the basic understanding of how to build certain technologies (many of which they were physically shown how to replicate). They also need a lot of evolving to do before their brains are capable ofunderstanding a lot of the things necessary to be able to construct something so complex.

Comment

i dont think we are anywhere near in terms of being able to mimic the shield atlantis has, its practically a 'god shield' in terms of it's inpenatrable along as its got power flowing into it. Even the asgard have nothing that can rival it's shield, and they are almost as advanced, even more so in some areas than the ancients. So no, i dont think we could make a city ship like atlantis, i mean, we cant even make a good looking ship as it is, the 304's are almost as ugly as the ancients aurora class ships lol, we need to take a leaf out of the asgards book aswell as the shippers from 'grace' and the ship from the 100th episode and design something that is sleek, curvy and sexy looking lol

Comment

Originally posted by xandder View Post
                              i dont think we are anywhere near in terms of being able to mimic the shield atlantis has, its practically a 'god shield' in terms of it's inpenatrable along as its got power flowing into it. Even the asgard have nothing that can rival it's shield, and they are almost as advanced, even more so in some areas than the ancients. So no, i dont think we could make a city ship like atlantis, i mean, we cant even make a good looking ship as it is, the 304's are almost as ugly as the ancients aurora class ships lol, we need to take a leaf out of the asgards book aswell as the shippers from 'grace' and the ship from the 100th episode and design something that is sleek, curvy and sexy looking lol
                              I'll agree with you that Aroura's are ugly. But the 304's are they really that ugly. I think they look cool.

Also to the creater of this thread.
                              Do you mean that we would create multiple city ships and land them on planets and once there they just keep them there.
                              Cause that could work in my opinion.

But from what i'm hearing it's not going to work like that it's going to be more like a transport ship.

Atlantis Shields are crap when they have the stardrive operational. Think about the amount of power they must be using. The only time when everything still works perfectly normal is when they have the 3 ZPM's working together.

Ok i'll agree it does have merit but it's not the sort of thing i would expect to see happen on the show, not ever but don't get me wrong it could happen but i don't think it will

Comment

Working...
                              X