PDA

View Full Version : History seems to repeat itself...

TheHomegaMan
October 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Well folks, we're here again. Once again MGM has announced a new entry into the Stargate franchise, and once again fandom is in an uproar. We have people who apparently have enough information to condemn the show. We have people who have the clairvoyance to see just how it'll work out. We even have people who think that axing this new entry will somehow bring the old one back, or at least give them some smug sense of satisfaction. Heck, we're also watching people recycle the same old complaints about the previous new show and applying them to this one. Yes, my friends, history is repeating itself.

How many of us remember the complaints before SGA launched? Remember the whole "I don't want Voyager again!" cry? If you don't, just watch the anti-SGU folks. If it didn't work for SGA, maybe it'll work here. You have to give them points for persistence. If you did that, though, you'd probably also have to give them to the guy who thinks that if he beats his head hard enough on a brick wall he'll eventually break through. People are once again attached, and in the absence of any real information they're doing their best to make sure that you possess the same warped view of the unaired, unwritten, and unproduced show that they do. Yes, history is repeating itself.

How many of us remember watching these very boards while people brought out the boycott calls? Many of us do. We remember when fans thought that their voice was the only one that mattered. They acted as if they were the sole purveyors of what was good for the franchise. A team cut off from Earth, but with space vampires?! BOYCOTT! How many of them ended up watching SGA? I'm not packing numbers, but I'm willing to bet enough people gave in. They may or may not be the ones e-picketing and demanding that this show not go forward, or at least hope it tanks, but a new generation has taken that up. Once again, history is repeating itself.

How many of us remember growing attached to the previous entry in the franchise, only to feel that the new kid on the block took all the focus? You felt that your beloved show would suffer or be canceled to make room for the shiny new toy. The doomsayers were convinced that SG-1 took a hit in early S8, and here they are blaming the new show for the demise of SGA. Do I even need to say it? History repeats itself.

This isn't anything new for people who've been around GW and the Stargate franchise for a while. It always happens. Somehow, against all the odds, life goes on. If/when they decide to add another show sometime down the line, we'll have legions of fans protesting once again. SGU will be the new baby for fandom, and it has to be protected from the evil parents (TBTP) and their desire to crank out a new child to focus on.

So what am I getting at? Get used to this now, folks, because it keeps on happening. Your reactions are not new, revolutionary, or terribly effective. To borrow a phrase from the show that truly sets the bar for contemporary science fiction storytelling, "All this has happened before, and will happen again."

General Yogi Bear
October 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yes the complaining about a show that hasn't even aired yet is getting a little old. But I can understand the anger. Atlantis had at least 2 more good seasons in it, maybe more. At the end of the day its all about making money so I can only assume that they would not have made a profit (MGM/SCI-FI) going for another season.

thekillman
October 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
if stargate remains a success, then expect many more movies, spinoffs, and spinoffs getting killed at season 5/6.

what has happened will happen again. i agree.

History seems to repeat itself...

incorrect

History repeats itself...
correct.

i like SGU, but im terrified that it will go wrong. it can do infinite good things, and infinite bad things. and i hope they choose the first

spinny magee
October 3rd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Indeed i thought SGA was bad but it was good but honestly the only thing i don't like the sound of in SGU is Chloe Carpenter the US senator daughter/party girl. The rest seems fine well not really....

JackHarkness_Hot
October 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM
True that history will repeat itself but this happened to Star Trek as well.

Voyager's quality tanked majorly when B&B stated they are going to start a new spin-off, Enterprise. After 4 seasons the last incarnation of ST was cancelled, and trust me it was not a pretty sight, die-hard fans wanted to buy a new season and it was just horrendous imo.

At least Atlantis will get 100 episodes, it'll be bittersweet but the series will continue as direct-to-DVD films. SGU will start in 2009, and I hope for the sake of the franchise that they will continue to be prosperous and have lots of seasons with brilliant outstanding episodes which are well thought out and intelligent. I also hope the TPTB and writers have learnt a lot from their mistakes that they have made on Atlantis and improve on them. :)

Am I being a bit too optimistic?

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 3rd, 2008, 04:51 AM
In my opinion TPTB have put out good shows this far, of course I would've liked to see more seasons of both SG1 and SGA, I meen in my opinion SG1 could've done with an eleventh season to finish off the Ori story and SGA could've done with another one or two seasons to rap up the current stories in detail, but I look forward to to the coming Movies and don't see them making mistakes with Universe as it's their new golden child.
I will be watching as soon as I can get my hands on the pilot.

I am however getting quite annoyed with the implication that Universe will be Stargate: 90210 or the view that SGA was cancelled to make SGU when there's been no real proof of this.
At best there's circumstantial evidence and this wouldn't be enough to convict TPTB especially when paired with the Knowledge that they've put out 2 good shows so far and have no good reason to screw up on the third.

xandder
October 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
In my opinion TPTB have put out good shows this far, of course I would've liked to see more seasons of both SG1 and SGA, I meen in my opinion SG1 could've done with an eleventh season to finish off the Ori story and SGA could've done with another one or two seasons to rap up the current stories in detail, but I look forward to to the coming Movies and don't see them making mistakes with Universe as it's their new golden child.
I will be watching as soon as I can get my hands on the pilot.

I am however getting quite annoyed with the implication that Universe will be Stargate: 90210 or the view that SGA was cancelled to make SGU when there's been no real proof of this.At best there's circumstantial evidence and this wouldn't be enough to convict TPTB especially when paired with the Knowledge that they've put out 2 good shows so far and have no good reason to screw up on the third.

Well said! whenever i tried to say that i got blasted for being arogant and not a true fan because i didn't want Universe to die lol

I can not wait for the new show to start, but i CAN wait for Atlantis to finish, this season has rocked so far, bar the seed, and sheppard *oh how i hate him* I'm really disappointed that it has to finish, but I in no way blame Universe for it's cancellation, it's just one of those things, as they say
'when one door closes, another one opens' lol

Col. Tomorian
October 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Lol... I'm a big fan of change. When "Star Trek" went towards the whole 'Voyager', 'Enterprise', and 'Deep Space Nine' idea, I followed through the process as a faithful fan. I learned something about my own preferences. Even though I love the "Star Trek" and "Stargate" franchises, there are just somethings I right out hate. Does this mean that I'm not a fan? Hell no. I just have a taste for certain story styles. Does it mean that people will hate "Stargate: Universe"? Hell no. I'm sure it will catter to a specific group of individuals. Will "Stargate: Universe" be a success? Who knows. All we can do is speculate about how this series will turn out by reading the articles. From my personal perspective, I think "Stargate: Universe" is going to be "90210" meets "Star Trek: Voyager". That is just how I see it. Will I watch a few episodes? Hell yes. However, I know from my own personal experiences that I don't like heavy character development. I down right hate taking a pause in a story, so someone can shift through emotions and other drama. If you look at the ratings of early canceled shows, similar to the new direction, there is historical evidence that the writter's new formula will not work. Majority of the people watching "Stargate" and "Star Trek" will casually turn in to watch. History will serve as an example. At the very beginning, the ratings will be nice and high. Over a period of time, maybe halfway through the first season, the ratings will start to dive down to 2.0-1.0.

Current day example "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles". After the first season, the writters changed over to heavy character development. At this very moment of season two, the series is now in danger of cancellation. Upon watching the first few episodes, I and a mess of other viewers just walked away. People want more science-fiction than drama. History preveals again. See for yourself. (http://www.terminatorsite.com/) Season one had a massive 11.0 in rattings. Season two is dropping, and FOX is moving for a cancelation. It is already in talks.

"Stargate: Altantis" mirrored "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"
"Stargate: Universe" will mirror "Star Trek: Voyager" and "90210".

talyn2k1
October 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Whenever I read all the predictions about SGU being Stargate:Voyager I just think to myself, could anything really be that bad?

I was a casual viewer of NextGen, loved DS9 when it came out, liked Voyager up until they jumped the shark, and was just starting to enjoy Enterprise when they cancelled it.

I've been a big fan of Stargate right from SG-1 S1 through to SGA S5 and I've been on these boards for a while, lurking for quite a bit before I started participating, and I remember all the accusations of Atlantis being Stargate:Voyager, which the majority of fans will agree turned out to be a fuss over nothing, just because 2 shows share a premise, doesn't mean that because one sucked that both will.

SGA has had much more shaky moments than SG-1, but it was still head and shoulders above most Sci-Fi shows. The rumours that they are going for a more BSG-eque drama angle on the show only fills me with hope, as BSG is probably the only show I love more than Stargate.

I suppose there is very little point to all that drivel. I just want to say to anyone worrying about the show, focus on the positives not the negatives and don't write off the show before it starts.

SGA is dead as a series, boycotting SGU won't bring it back, it won't make Sci-Fi make another spin-off exactly to your specifications, and it won't achieve a damn thing other than weaken the franchise that has given us literally hundreds of hours of quality TV.

Conjecture is fun, but lets be honest, 99% of those calling for the boycott or saying they think SGU will be $h*t will be tuning in to the premier just the same as the rest of us.

Hallowed is the Stargate!

Col. Tomorian
October 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I think the fan-structure of "Stargate" is divided into two groups. One group likes the whole "Battlestar Gallactica" idea, and the other likes the whole "Stargate: SG-1" idea. Like all other science-fiction shows, there is a divide between the drama loving community and the science-ficiton loving community. There is nothing wrong with that. When it comes to a boycott, I think that is a ridiculous idea. Producers and writters can do anything they want. Only time will tell if it will stay around or not. Life is life. One minute you are on top of the world, and the next minute your down in hell. Move on. If someone doesn't like the show, he or she just doesn't have to watch. If you boycott "Stargate" anything, you put into risk of not seeing another series. I would just not watch.

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Well said! whenever i tried to say that i got blasted for being arogant and not a true fan because i didn't want Universe to die lol

I can not wait for the new show to start, but i CAN wait for Atlantis to finish, this season has rocked so far, bar the seed, and sheppard *oh how i hate him* I'm really disappointed that it has to finish, but I in no way blame Universe for it's cancellation, it's just one of those things, as they say
'when one door closes, another one opens' lol

Many thanks xandder, it's good to know that I'm not the only one willing to give Universe a go.
I know I'm still very new to GW, but if people blast me for sharing my opinion, then I'd just blast them right back coz that's what I think.
To me people who aren't willing to give the new show a try are just feeling bitter about the SGA cancellation, I wouldn't say they aren't true fans as you can only like what appeals to you and I just don't really see how they can decide it doesn't do that when they haven't seen it.

EdenSG
October 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Well folks, we're here again. Once again MGM has announced a new entry into the Stargate franchise, and once again fandom is in an uproar. We have people who apparently have enough information to condemn the show. We have people who have the clairvoyance to see just how it'll work out. We even have people who think that axing this new entry will somehow bring the old one back, or at least give them some smug sense of satisfaction. Heck, we're also watching people recycle the same old complaints about the previous new show and applying them to this one. Yes, my friends, history is repeating itself.

How many of us remember the complaints before SGA launched? Remember the whole "I don't want Voyager again!" cry? If you don't, just watch the anti-SGU folks. If it didn't work for SGA, maybe it'll work here. You have to give them points for persistence. If you did that, though, you'd probably also have to give them to the guy who thinks that if he beats his head hard enough on a brick wall he'll eventually break through. People are once again attached, and in the absence of any real information they're doing their best to make sure that you possess the same warped view of the unaired, unwritten, and unproduced show that they do. Yes, history is repeating itself.

How many of us remember watching these very boards while people brought out the boycott calls? Many of us do. We remember when fans thought that their voice was the only one that mattered. They acted as if they were the sole purveyors of what was good for the franchise. A team cut off from Earth, but with space vampires?! BOYCOTT! How many of them ended up watching SGA? I'm not packing numbers, but I'm willing to bet enough people gave in. They may or may not be the ones e-picketing and demanding that this show not go forward, or at least hope it tanks, but a new generation has taken that up. Once again, history is repeating itself.

How many of us remember growing attached to the previous entry in the franchise, only to feel that the new kid on the block took all the focus? You felt that your beloved show would suffer or be canceled to make room for the shiny new toy. The doomsayers were convinced that SG-1 took a hit in early S8, and here they are blaming the new show for the demise of SGA. Do I even need to say it? History repeats itself.

This isn't anything new for people who've been around GW and the Stargate franchise for a while. It always happens. Somehow, against all the odds, life goes on. If/when they decide to add another show sometime down the line, we'll have legions of fans protesting once again. SGU will be the new baby for fandom, and it has to be protected from the evil parents (TBTP) and their desire to crank out a new child to focus on.

So what am I getting at? Get used to this now, folks, because it keeps on happening. Your reactions are not new, revolutionary, or terribly effective. To borrow a phrase from the show that truly sets the bar for contemporary science fiction storytelling, "All this has happened before, and will happen again."

Good points. But isn’t that what fandom is all about – people who care passionately about a show?

And when you care passionately about something you tend to react strongly either positively or negatively, you pick apart episodes, spoilers and comments etc… When you are a fan your expectations are high. When you are a fan you feel a sense of ownership.

Though I participate in fan campaigns I think they rarely make a difference. I don’t think boycotts are ever successful or productive. In the end it is ratings and money that matter, not the voices of fans.

In the end, SGU will live or die on its own merits

Some people will watch SGU because it simply because it is SG and they believe anything SG is good

Some people will try it out and watch and then decide.

Some people will not watch it because they are angry about SGA

Some people will not watch it because they don’t like the premise.

Some people are apathetic and don’t care one way or another.

The list and the reasons go on and on.

In the end it does not matter what “fandom” thinks because it is the general audience that makes or breaks the show with ratings – not the fans on GW or other fan sites because we don’t add up enough to make a difference either way.

But it is still fandom. And as long as there are venues that allow fans to express their joy about something and their disdain about something there will be these reactions. I think fandom allows people to explore the very best and the very worst. If you choose to be a part of fandom that is part of the package; you can like it or hate it but in the end that is the way it is.

\

LostCityGuardian
October 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree entirely ... but unfortunately this is a period where emotion has taken hold and reason doesn't really get a look in.

Infinatus
October 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I believe that the character descriptions for SGU are reason for concern when compared to the character descriptions for SGA. Teyla was the only character significantly altered from the original description, so if almost all of the SGU characters are the same I can say with certainty the show will be dreadful. Though hey, I'll still watch the pilot to give it a chance.

Infinatus
October 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree entirely ... but unfortunately this is a period where emotion has taken hold and reason doesn't really get a look in.

Last I checked skepticism was pretty logical.

LostCityGuardian
October 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Last I checked skepticism was pretty logical.

How do I even answer that? As an example, is a Gateworld member skeptical because they hate that SGA was cancelled to make way for SGU? In that case, I would say the skepticism is not logical. Logic would say judge SGU on its own merits, not on the basis that it killed SGA. I think the basis of your judgement is what makes skepticism logical or illogical.

General Yogi Bear
October 3rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Wow. Theres a lot of very good posts on here.
People who are complaining about the show (SGU) need to have more faith in Brad Wright and Rob Cooper etc. they've shown that they know how to make good television. But of course Rick Berman of Star Trek had a good history too and he brought us Enterprise which in its first 2 seasons suffered from boring characters and lame stories that had been done before on the other star trek series. They finally got it right in season 4 but it was too late.
We can only hope Brad and Rob don't repeat themselves as often as Atlantis has copied SG-1. Don't get me wrong I love Atlantis but there sure have been a lot of repeat stories such as more replicators and "oh no! we've been infected by an alien virus again" stories.
The new cast for universe sounds alot like the characters we've seen in SG-1 and Atlantis, except they are younger. Which I hope will be interesting. But I can't really think of any show I like that has cast full of characters in their early 20's. And I'm 25. Ha.
I'm cautiously optimistic about the show because I have faith in the writers but I see alot of potential problems. Sorry to be negative but its late.

Infinatus
October 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
How do I even answer that? As an example, is a Gateworld member skeptical because they hate that SGA was cancelled to make way for SGU? In that case, I would say the skepticism is not logical. Logic would say judge SGU on its own merits, not on the basis that it killed SGA. I think the basis of your judgement is what makes skepticism logical or illogical.

Maybe I shouldn't have even submitted that post. I meant that it's logical not to just put on some rose colored glasses and assume that a new show is going to be a blast just because you have a good feeling about it.

People who are complaining about the show (SGU) need to have more faith in Brad Wright and Rob Cooper etc.

Yes. Hallowed are Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. Maybe we should stop discussing how we think SGU will turn out and just bow down and worship those two.

xandder
October 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have even submitted that post. I meant that it's logical not to just put on some rose colored glasses and assume that a new show is going to be a blast just because you have a good feeling about it.

Yes. Hallowed are Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. Maybe we should stop discussing how we think SGU will turn out and just bow down and worship those two.

And is it also logical not to hate on a show before really knowing how it is going to run, in your statement my friend you have completely contridicted yourself, while it isn't wrong to assume a show is going to be bad just because you think it will be bad, it also isn't wrong to assume it is going to be good either.

At the end of the day, it is down to the individual if they watch it or not, the only difference is that ppl who post stuff about the show being crap will always be considered wrong because the majority of ppl dont like negativity, no matter how valid their points may seem

thekillman
October 4th, 2008, 03:19 AM
i think character development isnt bad. but i really think continuation is a much bigger issue. i think Scifi couldve been more subtile, by having SGA cancelled, waiting a week, and then reveal SGU is greenlit, and atlantis movies. this would remove all SGU replaces SGA talk. annother thing is:

"aimed at a slightly younger audience".

people read:

"aimed at teens"

"younger characters, more character development".

people read.
"teens lost in space, space opera".

"a darker tone"

people read
"BSG"

"stranded on a ship"

people read

"voyager".

i wasnt on the forums during the announcement of SGA, but i bet that this isnt the first and certainly not the last time we see such ignorant and stupid comments about new series

Col. Tomorian
October 4th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Good points. But isn’t that what fandom is all about – people who care passionately about a show?

And when you care passionately about something you tend to react strongly either positively or negatively, you pick apart episodes, spoilers and comments etc… When you are a fan your expectations are high. When you are a fan you feel a sense of ownership.

In the end, SGU will live or die on its own merits

Some people will watch SGU because it simply because it is SG and they believe anything SG is good

Some people will try it out and watch and then decide.

Some people will not watch it because they are angry about SGA

Some people will not watch it because they don’t like the premise.

Some people are apathetic and don’t care one way or another.

The list and the reasons go on and on.

In the end it does not matter what “fandom” thinks because it is the general audience that makes or breaks the show with ratings – not the fans on GW or other fan sites because we don’t add up enough to make a difference either way.

But it is still fandom. And as long as there are venues that allow fans to express their joy about something and their disdain about something there will be these reactions. I think fandom allows people to explore the very best and the very worst. If you choose to be a part of fandom that is part of the package; you can like it or hate it but in the end that is the way it is. I couldn't have said it better myself. :cameron:

TheHomegaMan
October 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Now here's the big difference between you and I: I ended up losing faith in both existing series as they went on, based on actual hard information. You have a casting sheet that is subject to change, and a few vague statements.

The skeptic doesn't disagree with the crowd for the sake of disagreement. He asks questions. He gets people to think. You just... don't like it. Don't co-opt a useful role to satisfy your vendetta. Come back when you have some real information, THEN you can call yourself a skeptic.

Killjoy_Zero
October 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I'm not to worried about it. If it does well then it wont get canceled after season 1 and kill the Stargate franchise but we have to face that at some point the Stargate franchise will die and they will stop making new episodes and movies. It may be alot sooner than we're all hoping for but, again, we have to face that day and pull through. Its not like a TV show could cause a riot.

GatorProduct4
October 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I will be tuning in to give SGU a chance. I was also trying to defend this point to others who wanted to boycott the new show. But hey if all of us SG-1 fans boycotted SGA it would have left even earlier. Each show must be given its own chance to prove itself to the audience. After a chance is given then decide for yourself, but I think that the Stargate Franchise has done us well in the past so we should give it the initial benefit of the doubt.

Killjoy_Zero
October 4th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'd say Universe gets about 3 or 5 seasons before Sci-fi cancels it for something else. Even if it gets mad ratings, that seems to be the average run length. Atlantis is at 5, SG-1 got 5 on Sci-fi, Galactica had 4 and some movies, and I didnt watch it before then.

LostCityGuardian
October 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Fair enough. I think the best thing everyone could do is to put everything we know into perspective: a brief summary of the series plot, a few very brief character summaries, and one comment that this is aimed at a younger audience. In my book, that's not enough to make any logical calls as to how good/bad SGU is likely to be.

Commander Zelix
October 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
The initial posters is right. History repeat itself. It happens for Stargate before or for any franchise series (stargate, doctor who, star trek, csi).

I think its fun to try to predict, here on this forum, how the new series will turn out with the little information we have. But, we must realize that its impossible to predict if it will great or terribly bad as of yet. I personally don't like the idea of Stargate for teenagers stuff (even teenagers probably wont like it that way!), but we'll see...

But, even after the first few episodes of SGU, like any other franchise series. They'll be some people which will like it, other people which won't. Me personally I prefer SG1 over Atlantis. But I still watch Atlantis every weeks and I think its one of the best TV series. Its a new show, which will bring some change to the franchise. Some fans won't like those changes, and some will. At the same time they can get new fans or less that the previous incarnation. I don't like people which have decide to hate it already. Same as those who would love it already, if there was some. Its wait and see...and speculate :). We must remember that its impossible to have a new show completely similar to an old show. Its just impossible.

General Yogi Bear
October 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Fair enough. I think the best thing everyone could do is to put everything we know into perspective: a brief summary of the series plot, a few very brief character summaries, and one comment that this is aimed at a younger audience. In my book, that's not enough to make any logical calls as to how good/bad SGU is likely to be.

THAT IS INSANE. I hate the show because the ships name is Destiny. WHAT A STUPID NAME. They should of gone with Enterprise. MAN! What a missed opportunity. This show is going to stink! JUST KIDDING. It'll probably be really good.

LostCityGuardian
October 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
THAT IS INSANE. I hate the show because the ships name is Destiny. WHAT A STUPID NAME. They should of gone with Enterprise. MAN! What a missed opportunity. This show is going to stink! JUST KIDDING. It'll probably be really good.

Didn't you learn Sheppard's lesson about naming ships Enterprise? ;)

the fifth man
October 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Very true. We will only really be able to judge SGU after we've seen the first episode.

ablevins425
October 4th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Many thanks xandder, it's good to know that I'm not the only one willing to give Universe a go.
I know I'm still very new to GW, but if people blast me for sharing my opinion, then I'd just blast them right back coz that's what I think.
To me people who aren't willing to give the new show a try are just feeling bitter about the SGA cancellation, I wouldn't say they aren't true fans as you can only like what appeals to you and I just don't really see how they can decide it doesn't do that when they haven't seen it.

As it's been said in before, most of Stargate fans will tune into the pilot to at least give it a go, even if they say there not. I love anything to do with Science Fiction for the most part and Stargate and Star Trek espicially.

I greatly enjoyed Voyager when it came out, and DS9 near the end. I couldn't get into it when it first came out, much to the same of Battlestar Galactica. I don't know why just didn't and don't like it.

My biggest problem with Stargate Universe, and the direction of Stargate is I feel they are abandoning one series to develope another. While I know everyone has said that one has nothing to do with the other, the timing is oh so coincidental.

Atlantis, as evidenced by season 5 is just now kicking in it's afterburners to some great stories, as its developed some strong roots in the first 3 seasons. Season 4 saw some big changes and risks, leading into this wonderful season we have right now.

But I know it's always about the money. Universe will cast all unknowns and by far eventually be cheaper than to produce than Atlantis. And in five or so years, hopefully we will be having a whole new discussion, about a new series, or seeing Atlantis re-visited.

I also wonder, if this experiment is millions of years old, I hope the writers don't ruin it by showing us tons of new technology. I mean if we are in Atlantis right now, it should contain all the newest technology, so this would just be opening themselves up to plot holes, or continuity issues.

LostCityGuardian
October 5th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Very true. We will only really be able to judge SGU after we've seen the first episode.

I would like to think so, and more, I would like to think that people would maybe look at the first five episodes before making any judgements. Obviously, I don't really care what other people do with their watching habits, so I'm not going to go nuts. But it only seems fair to give TPTB at least a shot at convincing the viewer that SGU may be good, given that they must have done something in the past that made you enjoy Stargate enough to join the fandom.

xandder
October 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM
As it's been said in before, most of Stargate fans will tune into the pilot to at least give it a go, even if they say there not. I love anything to do with Science Fiction for the most part and Stargate and Star Trek espicially.

I greatly enjoyed Voyager when it came out, and DS9 near the end. I couldn't get into it when it first came out, much to the same of Battlestar Galactica. I don't know why just didn't and don't like it.

My biggest problem with Stargate Universe, and the direction of Stargate is I feel they are abandoning one series to develope another. While I know everyone has said that one has nothing to do with the other, the timing is oh so coincidental.

Atlantis, as evidenced by season 5 is just now kicking in it's afterburners to some great stories, as its developed some strong roots in the first 3 seasons. Season 4 saw some big changes and risks, leading into this wonderful season we have right now.

But I know it's always about the money. Universe will cast all unknowns and by far eventually be cheaper than to produce than Atlantis. And in five or so years, hopefully we will be having a whole new discussion, about a new series, or seeing Atlantis re-visited.

I also wonder, if this experiment is millions of years old, I hope the writers don't ruin it by showing us tons of new technology. I mean if we are in Atlantis right now, it should contain all the newest technology, so this would just be opening themselves up to plot holes, or continuity issues.

I dont think that would be much of a problem, from what I've come to understand, the destiny was launched by the Alterans, and while they are practically the same as the Lanteans, they are also different in a way, so by that example so would their technology to a certain degree. And the lanteans have been 'advancing' for longer, but not got any wiser really, the alteran created the stargates millions of years ago, while the lanteans have yet to really create anything on that level, the altero(?) device was good, but ultimately unusable.

I've always thought of the Alterans, ancients and lanteans as sub species of each other, while still being the same species. The lanteans dont seem to know how to do anything properly, ie the Altero device- the tumor inducing machine-project arcturus etc, while the Ancients/Alterans seem to perfect all that they do, ie the ark of truth, the darkara weapon, the stargate overloader, ZPMs, the sangrall, the stargates etc.

So if we do see 'new' tech that seems to be more advance than the stuff in atlantis, I dont really see that being a problem, because I see the Lanteans as being the 'stupid' part of the family lol the only thing I see as them creating that was any good was the time machine that Janus built, oh and the satallite weapon, other than them, the rest just seem to be one failure after another, imo

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM

I have to repeat myself here there has been no proof that this is the case, as far as I'm aware SGA the show was cancelled for the franchise to take a new direction not just to make one new show.
For people to blame the cancellation of SGA on Universe is just not logical at all.
They need to look at the bigger picture and not put the blame on one part of that picture.

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 5th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I think I read on JoeM's blog that the cost of Universe will be on a par with what the sixth season of Atlantis would've cost due to the fact that there will be a considerable budget for special effects.
Personally I hope that Universe will rock and last at least 5 seasons with a really good unrushed ending or change in direction.
It could happen :)

Even if there are lots of new technologies it doesn't meen that they won't fit into the Alteran timeline.
It doesn't have to meen that the tech will look really old as the Alterans would likely have still been at least a few million years ahead of us or even the Asgard and they would've made Destiny to last.
In my opnion if you look at the Asgard they were at least a hundred thousand years more advanced than we are and their ships look much sleeker and more advanced than even Atlantis which as everyone knows was built by the Alteran's and they were at least 20 million years ahead of the Asgard technologically.
Looks aren't everything.
There may be technology that the Ancients experimented in with the construction of the Destiny that they abandoned when they made Atlantis.

LostCityGuardian
October 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I have to repeat myself here there has been no proof that this is the case, as far as I'm aware SGA the show was cancelled for the franchise to take a new direction not just to make one new show.
For people to blame the cancellation of SGA on Universe is just not logical at all.
They need to look at the bigger picture and not put the blame on one part of that picture.

Apologies, maybe I should have been a little more clear when I wrote this. I wasn't trying to say outright or imply that SGA was canned to make way for SGU. This was said in the context that if a hypothetical Gateworld member believed this and was skeptical about watching SGU as a result, then they would not be basing that skepticism on a logical foundation (eg seeing the first few episodes and deciding it doesn't look good) but instead on an emotional foundation (eg I hate that you cancelled my SGA, therefore I'm not going to watch SGU as a protest). I wasn't actually portraying my own views on SGA being cancelled (in this instance at least).

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Apologies, maybe I should have been a little more clear when I wrote this. I wasn't trying to say outright or imply that SGA was canned to make way for SGU. This was said in the context that if a hypothetical Gateworld member believed this and was skeptical about watching SGU as a result, then they would not be basing that skepticism on a logical foundation (eg seeing the first few episodes and deciding it doesn't look good) but instead on an emotional foundation (eg I hate that you cancelled my SGA, therefore I'm not going to watch SGU as a protest). I wasn't actually portraying my own views on SGA being cancelled (in this instance at least).

No worries, I've just come acrossed a lot of people that assume that was the reason why SGA was cancelled and thought you had similar views.
I understand what what you meen now. :)

LostCityGuardian
October 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM
No worries, I've just come acrossed a lot of people that assume that was the reason why SGA was cancelled and thought you had similar views.
I understand what what you meen now. :)

No trouble. I certainly believe (and this is my view) that SGU's greenlight was a factor behind SGA being cancelled. Was it the only factor? Of course not. It's far too simplistic to say that it is, and I understand you getting annoyed when people say that.

TheHumanElement
October 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I think SGA was already going to be canceled and SGU had nothing to do with it. We should be happy that TPTB were fortunate enough to convince Sci-Fi to pick up a new show or it might be the end of SG.

I am up for a change of pace. I liked Atlantis, but it didn't seem to be going anywhere really. I don't mind a new show, just as long as they do it right. I think most fans fear is that they'll get something wrong and ruin the show as a result. It's true you can't judge until you've watched the show, but at the same time conscidering SG track record, it's not hard to imagine the show not falling apart. I guess people are saying they don't have faith in TPTB's ability to produce quality shows. Sometimes it seems like they put ratings before quality storytelling. I think I'm not alone when I say I hope TPTB prove us wrong.

LostCityGuardian
October 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I think SGA was already going to be canceled and SGU had nothing to do with it. We should be happy that TPTB were fortunate enough to convince Sci-Fi to pick up a new show or it might be the end of SG.

I think that probably a little too simplistic. SGA's ratings were as good as those that got it renewed for a fifth season. I really think there are probably two factors that link the two together:

Money - SGU is apparently going to cost more to make. Saving the money that would have spent on SGA episodes offsets some of this expense.
Writing - TPTB talks about how difficult it was writing seasons of SG1 and SGA concurrently. Same thing would have happened here, with the extra load of two films.

I think these show that SGU was at least part of the reason for cancelling SGA (but of course not the only reasons).

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 7th, 2008, 12:38 PM
No trouble. I certainly believe (and this is my view) that SGU's greenlight was a factor behind SGA being cancelled. Was it the only factor? Of course not. It's far too simplistic to say that it is, and I understand you getting annoyed when people say that.

I get the feeling from Brad's interview with GW that making the Atlantis movie(s) likely played the biggest part in the cancellation of the show, that's not to say it was the only thing and I'm sure starting Universe also played a part in the decision making.
From reading certain parts relating to this issue of Joe's blog it feels to me like they could've carried on making the show for at least a sixth season.

I suppose with the movie (I think I read something along these somewhere ;)) having it's own primary storyline and not having to wrap up any major storylines, TPTB likely feel they can appeal to a broader range of viewers and at the end of the day it's all about money.

:sheppard: "they wan't the money, show me the money!" :D :lol:

LostCityGuardian
October 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I get the feeling from Brad's interview with GW that making the Atlantis movie(s) likely played the biggest part in the cancellation of the show, that's not to say it was the only thing and I'm sure starting Universe also played a part in the decision making.
From reading certain parts relating to this issue of Joe's blog it feels to me like they could've carried on making the show for at least a sixth season.

I suppose with the movie (I think I read something along these somewhere ;)) having it's own primary storyline and not having to wrap up any major storylines, TPTB likely feel they can appeal to a broader range of viewers and at the end of the day it's all about money.

:sheppard: "they wan't the money, show me the money!" :D :lol:

That does make sense. The movies have been pretty lucrative so far. They will want to keep mining that vein at MGM and SciFi (greedy *******s).

ipfnd
February 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I realize that this is not an in-depth discussion but right after they announced the new SGU I started reading the forum here "religiously" to get more info on it. I see many people, who obviously are SG fans, posting comments like, "I'm not going to watch the show because...." or "I'm still deciding if I'm going to watch it". Would it really be possible to not watch it??

Major_Griff
February 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Well some people are upset that they canceled SGA to make SGU (supposedly) . I personally got over the cancelation pretty quick and never once postulated the thought of not watching SGU. It's SG and its made by the same people that made my two favorite shows. Why wouldn't I watch?

gange57
February 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I know. It's weird huh? People who don't accept everything simply because it has Stargate in the name. These people should obviously be tarred and feathered.

And mocked.

Endlessly.

Descended Alteran
February 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I will watch it:) Even tho i miss Atlantis;)

AnnieS
February 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I was upset about the cancellation of SGA. But as you may have read. Have never taken it out on SGU.

I"m 100% percent behind the series, and have been since they started talking about the possibility of doing the series. And now that it is about to finally happen. I pounce on every bit of info that is published about the show and production:D!!!!

I plan on watching every episode of the series. And pray that it air on not only SCI-FI and The Canadian Movie Channels. But on SPACE here as well. And on stations around the world, so that EVERYONE can watch it first run. And not when it is in re-runs!!!!

Dr Lee
February 25th, 2009, 08:54 AM
A lot of the dislike is down to the cancellation of SG:A so they could make SG:U.... and the fact that the initial brief didn't sound like Stargate to a lot of people.

I freely admit i was one of those that got quite peeved when SG:U was greenlit and i was set on just watching the pilot 3-parter and leaving it at that, But the majority of my peeved-ness was down to the way TPTB miss-handled the whole fiasco.

Now.... after taking a deep breath (or two) and looking at the casting list as it was slowly announced... my mind is somewhat changed. I'm still somewhat wary of the whole premise and there are still plot points that i really don't like (Top of the list is the easy removing-a-character system they've written in with the fact that they can't go back for those left behind)... but i am starting to look forward to the show airing.....

the missing 7
February 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I realize that this is not an in-depth discussion but right after they announced the new SGU I started reading the forum here "religiously" to get more info on it. I see many people, who obviously are SG fans, posting comments like, "I'm not going to watch the show because...." or "I'm still deciding if I'm going to watch it". Would it really be possible to not watch it??
fandom is still pissed that SGA got canned in it's prime and replaced with a series not many fans are liking from the details that have been realsed thus far

i for one will watch SGU

Madwelshboy
February 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I loved SG1 an enjoyed Atlantis. Like many people at the time is disagreed with the cancellation of Atlantis but quickly got over it. Dose that mean ill watch SGU, well yes and no. like any other new show that sounds interesting ill watch the pilot and 2 or 3 other episode to see what its like. if i like it ill continue to watch, if i dont ill stop watching. that dosent mean over the next fwe months i wont be her discussing it. the fact it has the word stargate in it dosent automatically make it a must see from start to finish, no questions asked.

Seythia
February 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
{mod snip}
But I honestly see no point in making such a fuss over something we still have no idea about.

I don't really like the concept. But I'll watch it.

Atlantis was different. I liked the concept. But most of the on screen action wastoo absurd, even for me (but being a fan, I watched i. Without complaining. Because it's Stargate and it could be so much worse)

Spimman
February 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I think we should all judge the show on its own and not blame one show for another.

toby1kanobi
February 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM

there was indeed (i say indeed so much) a lot of anger over the death of atlantis but the main furore was caused by people missreading the early concept ideas for SGU and tagging it SG90210

thankfully once more finialised detailes of the show came out a lot of the naysayers have changed there tune to "in really exited about SGU"

in some shows the fan forums can carry a lot of weight with the show makers, there was potential for the outspoken naysayers to do the show a great deal of damage even before it has a chance to show itsself.

if a writer reads forums for his or her show and sees it getting torn to shreads it can have a real impact on the quality of there input (i know some makers of other shows (UK) ((i will not name them)) who were very upset over remarks made by fans on the shows forum and it very nearly made the individual call it a day on the thing)

jrd231
February 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
You can be as upset as you want with the cancellation of SGA, but that's not going to bring back SGA or get rid of SGU. And yes, it's possible for people to not watch SGU. Just because it has Stargate in the title doesn't mean it's going to be good or people are going to watch it. I was upset with the way SGA ended but being upset won't bring it back and it won't cancel SGU, either. My feelings on the matter have no impact on what happens in reality. Having SGU is better than not having it. Even if I don't like it, I don't have to watch it, which is the same thing as not having it.

Canceling SGA and green lighting SGU > Canceling SGA and not green lighting SGU

AnnieS
February 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
there was indeed (i say indeed so much) a lot of anger over the death of atlantis but the main furore was caused by people missreading the early concept ideas for SGU and tagging it SG90210

thankfully once more finialised detailes of the show came out a lot of the naysayers have changed there tune to "in really exited about SGU"

in some shows the fan forums can carry a lot of weight with the show makers, there was potential for the outspoken naysayers to do the show a great deal of damage even before it has a chance to show itsself.

if a writer reads forums for his or her show and sees it getting torn to shreads it can have a real impact on the quality of there input (i know some makers of other shows (UK) ((i will not name them)) who were very upset over remarks made by fans on the shows forum and it very nearly made the individual call it a day on the thing)

Unforuntly there are still some people on other sites that call it SG90210:mad:!!!

Vale_Sg1
February 25th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'm not planning to watch SGU, but I'm not one of those people that are angry at SGU because SGA was cancelled.

I was (and still am) head over heels for SG1, which is very high in my 'favorite shows' list. I'm in the process of buying the dvd boxsets, I have some novels and random fannish items (team patches, SGC badge).

I was a devoted fan of SGA for its first 2 seasons and a half, before the 'soft reset' failed to keep me entertained. Simply, SGA didn't have what I looked for in a show anymore.

It happens. I'm also a Trekkie, but I don't like all the series. *shrugs*

magictrick
February 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM
To each, they're own.

Some are upset at SGA cancellation so they're boycotting SGU.
Some think its going to be SG 90210.
Some don't like the concept of a more character-focused show (i.e another BSG)
Some are truly excited about it.

Everyone can do as they wish, though personally I believe most people will check out an episode of SGU at some point in time :)

kennythewraith
February 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
yeah well all the reasons to hate sgu are really bad resons..sgu has was pitched 2 years ago.not right before atlantis was cancelled.it was postponed because of atlantis and the sg1 movies.as for stargate 90 watevr..the casting has pretty much dispelled that rumor once and for all and it was never a valid issue to begin with.if people boycott sgu they are just dooming the stargate franchise to die prematurely.it wont bring back sga,sg1 as regualr tv shows.they will live on in movies as long as people continue to buy the dvds and watch the show.

stclare
February 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM

I think its very possible not to watch the show.

I disliked SG1 but loved SGA. I dislike the concept of SGU and dont feel excited by any of the actors anounced. So no I will not be checking out SGU. I dont see why that should be a problem for anyone. After all im sure SGU will pick up its mainstream audience to make up for any comings and goings of fans like myself.

The question I've ask myself, is wether I would have at least watched the first few episodes if the cancelation had been handled better and the subsequent interviews..I have to say I probably would have.

Reiko
February 25th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I will watch SGU likely for the lulz and snarkery (SG is always fun to snark at) but if it turns out to be actually good, I won't get too attached, because ... Well you know how that turned out the last time. :(

jelgate
February 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I will watch SGU likely for the lulz and snarkery (SG is always fun to snark at) but if it turns out to be actually good, I won't get too attached, because ... Well you know how that turned out the last time. :(

All good things must come to a end my friend

Reiko
February 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM

It's harder when it's death is long and drawn-out, though. :(

Crazedwraith
February 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
While condemning SGU before seeing it is quite silly. I find the idea that not watching it is some how impossible or incomprehensible is likewise silly. Some people are not motivated purely by franchise loyalty and there a plenty of reasons not to watch Universe. Not liking the concept of the show for example, or being dissatisfied with the quality of recent stargate productions.

stclare
February 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM

That maybe true for some shows. But I very much doubt anything the stargate people see on here or anywhere else will cause them to change the direction they want to go. Seriousley the whole Keller affair is a case in point. there were many unhappy posts here and on JM'S site and look what happened didly squat. they stuck with there vision, which is there right. Also with the new mission statement here I doubt you will see many negative comments so if they come here will they see a cross section of opinions, im not sure.

Butlersgate
February 25th, 2009, 02:12 PM
i don't get why everyone is just automatically hating it before it's even out. they make all these assumptions and read what they want to read instead of what is actually being said and come up with these insane conclusions imo

Alexandria7
February 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Unforuntly there are still some people on other sites that call it SG90210:mad:!!!

Well, to their credit, the original 90210 had a cast of actors in their 30s and 40s playing teenagers...so you never know. LOL.

Seriously, if someone is against it because of SGA it's their own prerogative. It's their decision and their loss if SGU turns out to be awesome. We cannot judge them and we shouldn't say it's wrong either. And while we may not understand their reasons, it's their reasons, right, wrong, or indifferent.

Stargate is similar to Star Trek with all its many spin offs. I enjoyed the original, loved TNG, disliked DS9, lost interest in Voyager, and pretty much hated Enterprise (okay, so it just ended badly...)

In the end, people need time to mourn their lost show. The cancellation has left such a bitter taste in some people's mouths that they are a little fed up. They may get over it in time for SGU, or they may not. There will be some fallout though, and some fans will likely give up on the Stargate franchise.

ciannwn
February 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'll give it a try but can't say I'm excited by anything I've heard about it so far. It's just going to be ordinary humans stuck on a space ship. Will we be getting more than CGI cannon fodder of the week? So far, nothing I've read suggests that. I'm not expecting to be surprised by interesting alien characters with a real history and society.

Laxian of Earth
February 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Yes the complaining about a show that hasn't even aired yet is getting a little old. But I can understand the anger. Atlantis had at least 2 more good seasons in it, maybe more. At the end of the day its all about making money so I can only assume that they would not have made a profit (MGM/SCI-FI) going for another season.

Oh they did, it was just not enough for the fat cats heading "Stupid Channel" (scifi channel) they were spoiled from the ratings of SG-1 (the ones they had after the show was really established) and the early ones of SGA....they still did earn pretty well (compared to other shows (scifi ones and normal ones broadcasted at the same time period) but they were not satisfied...so they looked for an alternative (something cheaper to produce, easier to sell and with larger margins to make more profit -.- that they might have killed the whole stargate franchise with this short sighted decisions they sure have not realized (i hope it comes crashing back at them...idiocy should not be rewarded but punished (if i had a painstick (Goa'uld one) from SG-1 i would use it on them, idiocy needs to be tortured out sometimes it seems (even more as they have done it twice now - SG-1 and SGA. Ha even more, they should be shot for being FOOLS! (Ba'al please come back and do with these "****ers" what you want to do with them!).....yes i hate people that do not think!

greetings LAX
ps: yes i am preaching that SGU will not be that good, but i know that i will watch at least the first episode (if it's good i will watch it further, but with good i mean really good this time, better then the first season of SGA (first one was bad IMHO))

TheHomegaMan
February 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I know. It's weird huh? People who don't accept everything simply because it has Stargate in the name. These people should obviously be tarred and feathered.

And mocked.

Endlessly.

They can like or not like it as they please. If you'd read my post, which I had to go back and do after four months, you'd see that it simply draws parallels between the early reactions to SGA leaks and SGU leaks. That's it.

I only mock those who can't be bothered to find out what's going on and would rather blather on with a flimsy statement like "I feel..." as a defense.

Alan Wake
February 26th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I wonder if i search hard enough, can i find these Boycott SGA threads? they might be fun to read... and see how many of them grew to support the show, and are doing to same thing over again with SGU.

I bet you a number of those people are still around here also.

Time to go dig :p

gange57
February 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
They can like or not like it as they please. If you'd read my post, which I had to go back and do after four months, you'd see that it simply draws parallels between the early reactions to SGA leaks and SGU leaks. That's it.

I only mock those who can't be bothered to find out what's going on and would rather blather on with a flimsy statement like "I feel..." as a defense.

That's great. But, my post was in regards to another post which was merged into your thread. No need to get defensive.

Nero_200
February 26th, 2009, 03:47 AM

i second that but lets all hope if its successfull and that the end wont come 4 a long while.

jelgate
February 26th, 2009, 03:52 AM
i second that but lets all hope if its successfull and that the end wont come 4 a long while.

Definatly. I hope SGU is successful so the Stargate franchise lives on but we all know the day will come when the Stargate franchise is no more.

toby1kanobi
February 26th, 2009, 03:54 AM

didnt Q say that to Piccard

jelgate
February 26th, 2009, 03:56 AM
didnt Q say that to Piccard

Yes but that saying is a lot older then the TNG.

coolguy55220
February 26th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Indeed i thought SGA was bad but it was good but honestly the only thing i don't like the sound of in SGU is Chloe Carpenter the US senator daughter/party girl. The rest seems fine well not really....

i think she might end up being a fan favorite in a couple of seasons, it sounds like shes gonna go through a major change rite in front of ur eyes...

TheHomegaMan
February 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM
That's great. But, my post was in regards to another post which was merged into your thread. No need to get defensive.

My bad. Had you figured for one of the militant types.

Gotta love conveying feelings on the internet.