PDA

View Full Version : How about this as an idea

mgf
October 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
A group of humans, taken long ago from earth, know they are from earth but wernt able to return for one reason or another. Their history from earth edged in their present day culture eg

Ancient Greece or Rome or South/Central American/Persia/Gangas Karn maybe?

The earth travelers, should at least be cut off from Central comand in that mountain base for at least 2 or more seasons. The cast should also include a Multi-national representation like the crew traveling to Atlantas started off with.

After all, it should'nt be just the Americans traveling through space. :)

DeRoest
October 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
like a bunch of ernest littlefields? this is confusing. you know the casting list was posted, right?

mgf
October 2nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Im talking about charaters the star ship crew find on other planets. Im confuses what does the casting list have with this topic?

Jack_Bauer
October 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Im talking about charaters the star ship crew find on other planets. Im confuses what does the casting list have with this topic?

The way you worded the opening post was confusing.

I dont know about this idea, I can definitely hear the collective groan of every Stargate fan (who decides to watch it) when they see humans are supposedly the dominant species in the UNIVERSE. I mean come one! How many excuses can TPTB have for having humans EVERYWHERE! Plus seeing as the Destiny will supposedly be travelling from galaxy to galaxy, I would hate to see humans crop up in anymore then one of them.

quade_1
October 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
The way you worded the opening post was confusing.

I dont know about this idea, I can definitely hear the collective groan of every Stargate fan (who decides to watch it) when they see humans are supposedly the dominant species in the UNIVERSE. I mean come one! How many excuses can TPTB have for having humans EVERYWHERE! Plus seeing as the Destiny will supposedly be travelling from galaxy to galaxy, I would hate to see humans crop up in anymore then one of them.

I don't mind seeing humans everywhere aslong as they throw in the odd alien species every once in a while. And aslong as the humans have good stories. I really doubt the Destiny will be travelling from Galaxy to Galaxy as there is already little room for story arcs having them travel from planet to planet. But hopefully in the new galaxy without the Wraith or Goa'uld, the species will be more technologically advanced than we have seen so far.

spinny magee
October 3rd, 2008, 03:46 AM
Ok that post was very confusing for me....(coughs) err what do you mean by Ghengis khan?

mgf
October 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
To make things clearer

It costs money to produce CGI special effects to make aliens like asguard or warth.
Ok, So to cut down costs, i suggest to place into the story line a group of humans who were taken from earth, from one the following civilisations, in earth past.

Ancient Greece
Ancient Rome
Ancient Macedonia
Ancient Inca Civilization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_civilization

The people who use to live on Easter Island.

Ghengis khan

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_countries_did_Ghengis_Khan_conquer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghengis_Khan

using Ghengis Khan as an example.

This guy had an entire army. In a Stargate story we could have a group of his warriors and their families taken from earth in the hight of his power and were left stuck some where in a galaxy far, far away (using the famous star wars line)

Away from earth and in the years since their removal, these group of humans kept their culture, traditions from their ancient time on earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Island
The people who lived in Easter Island. Since they depleated all of their resoruces and built these statues to some kind of God, the stargate writers could turn this story into, these alians (statues) took these people from Esater Island to another part into deep space.

http://www.cabaloosa.com/images/Main%20Site%20Images/Moai%20of%20Easter%20Island.JPG

http://www.pictureninja.com/pages/chile/easter-island-coastline.jpg

http://www.gira.ca/HTML/gallery/fullsized-images/easter-island.jpg

The Prophet
October 3rd, 2008, 05:37 AM
The Roman/ Greece Humans would draw too much of a BSG theme for many fan's liking. xD

Anda
October 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
A group of humans, taken long ago from earth, know they are from earth but wernt able to return for one reason or another. Their history from earth edged in their present day culture eg

Ancient Greece or Rome or South/Central American/Persia/Gangas Karn maybe?

The earth travelers, should at least be cut off from Central comand in that mountain base for at least 2 or more seasons. The cast should also include a Multi-national representation like the crew traveling to Atlantas started off with.

After all, it should'nt be just the Americans traveling through space. :)

A beautyfull idea.:cool::cool:

quade_1
October 3rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
i would like to see Mayan mythology, that would be cool. They could use the Mayan Doomsday as a reason why the last left. The story goes something like every 13.0.0.0.0 (approx 5000 years on our calendar) on the Mayan Calendar, doomsday comes and everything is destroyed. Then life is begun again. Maybe the last doomsday 5000 years ago they weren't destroyed they were taken to another galaxy?

knowles2
October 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
No Humans
No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans

And in case you ain't got it No Humans

mgf
October 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
i would like to see Mayan mythology, that would be cool. They could use the Mayan Doomsday as a reason why the last left. The story goes something like every 13.0.0.0.0 (approx 5000 years on our calendar) on the Mayan Calendar, doomsday comes and everything is destroyed. Then life is begun again. Maybe the last doomsday 5000 years ago they weren't destroyed they were taken to another galaxy?

That would also be interesting. Hopefully the script writers/producers are reading this thread.

mgf
October 3rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
A beautyfull idea.:cool::cool:

On bad note about Atlantas, the IOEA kept sticking there nose into the comand of Atlantas. So a two, three or four season sepertation from Central comand would make this show different.

Carter was a great for the leadership role instead the dude with the glassess became the boss. :mckay:

DeRoest
October 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
No Humans
No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans No Humans

And in case you ain't got it No Humans then what would we have? a bunch of alien that look identicle to humans except with wrinkly foreheads? this isn't star trek.

The Prophet
October 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM
then what would we have? a bunch of alien that look identicle to humans except with wrinkly foreheads? this isn't star trek.

Re'tu, Gadmeer, the Reol, Foothold Aliens.

Heck, even the Asgard and Replicator Bugs.

They were all non-human beings that have been seen in Stargate.

knowles2
October 4th, 2008, 02:31 AM
then what would we have? a bunch of alien that look identicle to humans except with wrinkly foreheads? this isn't star trek.

No
Instead we have a mix fully cgi characters using technology that is being used on sactuary. We use this technology to create sets other than the medieval village we see every other episode. This will probably be used on SGU as the producers using that technology in their Sanctuary work. We then use near humanoids but with heavy prosthetics added like they do in doctor who.

Then you have the odd episode or two that involve exploring planets that may not even have life on. The odd artifact or two episode. And the explore the ship or temple or strange ancient cities built by alien race.

Now lets hope MGM puts up a descent amount of cash.

quade_1
October 4th, 2008, 05:55 AM
No Humans

And in case you ain't got it No Humans

you have to stop looking at the show as a fan and look at it as a producer. Can it be feasable to have new aliens every week?? absolutely not. if they use makeup it would lengthen the shooting schedule having the actors in makeup for 5 hours each day. So there would be more breaks between episodes or they would even have to cut the schedule to 15 episodes/season. and if they used CGI the budget would be the same as if Atlantis had a sixth season.

knowles2
October 4th, 2008, 07:55 AM
you have to stop looking at the show as a fan and look at it as a producer. Can it be feasable to have new aliens every week?? absolutely not. if they use makeup it would lengthen the shooting schedule having the actors in makeup for 5 hours each day. So there would be more breaks between episodes or they would even have to cut the schedule to 15 episodes/season. and if they used CGI the budget would be the same as if Atlantis had a sixth season.

Actually CGI saves a bucket load of money. One of the reason scifi backs sanctuary was to test new technology such as red eye cameras. And using CGI sets.

Also you save money on the moving people to off set locations.
And you save tons of money of building sets. The village set I believe cost 1million dollars alone to build and the key reason why they used it so much, every other episode.

Figures I seen is that Sanctuary cost about 1.34 million dollars per episode and a series like Eureka cost nearly double as much.
So simple answer SGU will involve essentially to larger companies and a much larger fan based world wide and with many channels around the world buying it. so I think they will provide double the budget if not more than the Sanctuary production gets. 3 millions dollars using Sanctuary production technology. And we could aliens. And they do not have to be new aliens of the week, they could appear in several episodes if not more.

And I rather take a reduction in the number episodes rather than a contrive storyline that involve a other human with earth based cultures. Remembers guys this ships is suppose to be so far out not even the ancients explored that area of space. So how are primitive humans in medieval villages suppose to get their in the first place.

And please do not leave have the stargate production ships seeding galaxies, that just so unoriginal also why would developed cultures that are the exact same that developed on earth.

So yeah real Aliens with real alien cultures and traditions, and if that means less space battles or less episodes then so be it.

That does not mean we could not encounter one or two humans colonies. But keep few, and very few in number. May make them have a culture which not replicate a culture on earth. And make the mystery of how they got their part of larger more complex story, that is piece together through out the series.

quade_1
October 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Sets are a different story, once you design a background it is static. CGI characters have to move and be interactive. Which takes much much more time than rendering a backdrop.

In one of the behind the scenes features, in Season 8 episode Covenant. They talk about how expensive it was to have the Asgard walking around entirely in CGI, and that one didn't even speak. If they added vocal abilities trying to match the mouth movements with the voice, it probably would have cost double.

knowles2
October 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sets are a different story, once you design a background it is static. CGI characters have to move and be interactive. Which takes much much more time than rendering a backdrop.

In one of the behind the scenes features, in Season 8 episode Covenant. They talk about how expensive it was to have the Asgard walking around entirely in CGI, and that one didn't even speak. If they added vocal abilities trying to match the mouth movements with the voice, it probably would have cost double.

I think you fine once you got the character created, the costs decrease rapidly, more you used your model the cheaper its because you can reused animation sequences and so fourth, it just a matter of creating the new environment for it to run in or composting it in to live back grounds.

Also as general rule costs in technology general decreases and have been decreasing rapidly in the 3d areas. This is because software is making the production of these kind of things easier and quicker.

Example used in my 3d animation class last week was toy story 1 took 5 years to produce, toy story 2 took about 3, and current animations films have now got it down to 2 years to 18 months production times.

An other example is just couple of years ago if you wanted to animate an entire army of Asgard and have them all act and walk differently you would have to animated each character on screen manually, a time consuming and expensive process. They have now developed the software iwhich lets the computer animate each Asgard in the scene to act differently just base on rules you program into it.
This cut down on costs of producing such a scene dramatically.

You also got to take into account the costs of rendering out the scene which would of decrease as it would be done on faster machines and consume less time and resources.

Also I believe the scene you are talking about is the first time they used a CGI model of the Asgard , before that is was all done with puppets. So the cost of producing that would costs loads more the first time because they would have to create everything from the scratch and fully rig and texture it. Once you have created it, the cost decreases slowly over the years, because of the above.

All I am saying do not base you cost assumptions of something which was done what five or six years ago, that a eternity in the computer world and the technology has since then come on considerably.

Aerilon
October 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I've got an even better idea. Renew Atlantis. Put Universe on hold. People are more than happy with Atlantis, and to be quite honest, from what I've read, fewer people are looking forward to Universe right now. The way I see it, is that the longer Atlantis runs for, the longer Universe will run for. Therefore, ultimately, the longer the Stargate shows will go on for. Do they not see this?

quade_1
October 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I think you fine once you got the character created, the costs decrease rapidly, more you used your model the cheaper its because you can reused animation sequences and so fourth, it just a matter of creating the new environment for it to run in or composting it in to live back grounds.

Also as general rule costs in technology general decreases and have been decreasing rapidly in the 3d areas. This is because software is making the production of these kind of things easier and quicker.

Example used in my 3d animation class last week was toy story 1 took 5 years to produce, toy story 2 took about 3, and current animations films have now got it down to 2 years to 18 months production times.

An other example is just couple of years ago if you wanted to animate an entire army of Asgard and have them all act and walk differently you would have to animated each character on screen manually, a time consuming and expensive process. They have now developed the software iwhich lets the computer animate each Asgard in the scene to act differently just base on rules you program into it.
This cut down on costs of producing such a scene dramatically.

You also got to take into account the costs of rendering out the scene which would of decrease as it would be done on faster machines and consume less time and resources.

Also I believe the scene you are talking about is the first time they used a CGI model of the Asgard , before that is was all done with puppets. So the cost of producing that would costs loads more the first time because they would have to create everything from the scratch and fully rig and texture it. Once you have created it, the cost decreases slowly over the years, because of the above.

All I am saying do not base you cost assumptions of something which was done what five or six years ago, that a eternity in the computer world and the technology has since then come on considerably.

I understand everything you are saying, and it would definitly work in another series. But in SGU they are travelling from world to world and possibly from galaxy to galaxy. So the chances of reusing characters to reduce cost wouldn't be effective. While they could just use a base model and change the skin every episode I still don't see it being cost or time effective ontop of the already extensive CGI they use on the show.

The Prophet
October 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I've got an even better idea. Renew Atlantis. Put Universe on hold. People are more than happy with Atlantis, and to be quite honest, from what I've read, fewer people are looking forward to Universe right now. The way I see it, is that the longer Atlantis runs for, the longer Universe will run for. Therefore, ultimately, the longer the Stargate shows will go on for. Do they not see this?

The longer Atlantis runs for, the more expensive it will be. Also, with the writers juggling both shows, the quality will drop; resulting in cancellation for one, or both shows.

Also, you can't gauge the quality and support to the Stargate Franchise that Universe will bring by the percentage of people looking forward to it. Even if it is an Atlantis replacement, it may fair far better than Atlantis ever could have done, justifying Atlantis' cancellation.

On the other hand, it may be be a huge failure, and drag Atlantis down with it, resulting in both shows being cancelled.

Ultimately, there are very few situations in which Atlantis should continue; barring not producing Universe- but the Writer's have the right to creativity, and wish to produce a new show based on this concept. Saying they can't, because people wish Atlantis to continue, not only stiffles their creativity, but robs the fun out of writing and producing shows.

Jack_Bauer
October 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Ultimately, there are very few situations in which Atlantis should continue; barring not producing Universe- but the Writer's have the right to creativity, and wish to produce a new show based on this concept. Saying they can't, because people wish Atlantis to continue, not only stiffles their creativity, but robs the fun out of writing and producing shows.

but do they possess it?

The Prophet
October 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
but do they possess it?

They possess the right. They don't always use it, however...

Jack_Bauer
October 9th, 2008, 05:49 AM
They possess the right. They don't always use it, however...

lol i meant do they possess the creativity! :D

The Prophet
October 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
lol i meant do they possess the creativity! :D

:p Hahaha, some times, yes ;)