PDA

View Full Version : No More Replicators.....

Sp!der
October 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
...please, please please dear writers for the new show now more replicators as evil guys, they have been done to death in both shows. okay, think of smth creative here, not those little bugs....i hate them..i thought in season 5 and 6 of sg1 they were okay, and even in atlantis for some part in season 3, but enough is enough...there are so many possibilities, but no more replicators, yeah?

Wolf O'Donnell
October 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
...please, please please dear writers for the new show now more replicators as evil guys, they have been done to death in both shows. okay, think of smth creative here, not those little bugs....i hate them..i thought in season 5 and 6 of sg1 they were okay, and even in atlantis for some part in season 3, but enough is enough...there are so many possibilities, but no more replicators, yeah?

I agree but only because it seems like so many fans dislike them at this point and if the writers were to have replicators again it would just piss fans off more then they already are and just show the writers are out of ideas.

TheHumanElement
October 2nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
I agree but only because it seems like so many fans dislike them at this point and if the writers were to have replicators again it would just piss fans off more then they already are and just show the writers are out of ideas.
Well originally I hated the replicators too. Particularly in SG-1, but I actually liked the Asuran replicators. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they were "evil". I don't want to see a whole replicator civillization, I just want to see one "good" replicator character. Evil replicators have been done to death, but they barely have touched good replicators.

BluBarbi98
October 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
I agree. I was tired of the replicators after awhile in SG-1 so when they appeared on Atlanits my heart sank. I think their episodes are dull and one note.

Sir Vitek de Barocco
October 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM

but someone have to make the necessary repairs on destiny ... :replicatoranime01:

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I personally liked the Replicators, whether it's the SG1 ones or SGA incarnation.
I was a little disapointed I guess on how they ended the Asurans in Ghost in the Machine, but I guess they could be brought back.
I meen in the end of that episode they were just flowting in space and it wouldn't really take a creative writer to say that they were discovered by some advanced civilisation that had hyperdrive, who picked up a faint energy signature, brought them onboard their ship and reactivated them by mistake although I think that may end in them becoming an enemy again if they were bitter about the SGA team tricking them.
I guess that story could go either way, especially if the Fran/Weir replicator is as understanding as she makes herself out to be.
If those last Replicators had become our allies the potential technological gains would've made defeating most new enemies in the future fairly easy especially if they told us how to make ZPMs and drones etc
I thought that in BAMSR McKay was very inventive and the idea of Fran was quite interesting but it was a little to easy to defeat such a powerful enemy in such a convenient way, I meen it was all too easy for McKay's team to beam down to Asuras, surely the Asurans must have known we had that tech and they were ment to be able to adapt to multiple strategies.
I always thought that the Asgard weren't able to transport through shields, also the Wraith can block us from transporting onto their ships and it wouldn't have been too far fetched for the writers to say that the Asurans got the info from the Wraith on how to Jam us.

Just a few thoughts. :)

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
October 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
I liked the Replicators, but I think they've been overused and then some now.. I didnt like them in Atlantis nor Ark of Truth. I dont want to see them again, id rather see entirely new enemies (and new RACES, not alternate factions of existing ones).

WingedPegasus
October 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Agreed. The replicators have been rather overdone, IMO.

DesertFox2020
October 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
You mentioned BAMSR that makes me remember, how come the wraith thought of something we didnt? They sent darts to beam up ZPMs, why didn't we beam a few onboard one of our 304s when we beamed down McKay, Ronon and the marines?

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
^I guess Mckay was concerned that we may need all of the ZPMs on Asuras to complete his plan.

I_haz_a_Cookie
October 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM

personally i like the replicators until they went human form never liked it, reason why they done them do death, i hope we can see some real bugs BUGS not techno bugs

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
personally i like the replicators until they went human form never liked it, reason why they done them do death, i hope we can see some real bugs BUGS not techno bugs

Do you meen like in Starship Troopers?
I guess that could be interesting.

hisg1fans
October 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
We know the replicators have spread to at least 3 galaxies, so logic leads to there being replicators in other galaxies, too. With their survival skills, make that many, many galaxies. Therefore, it is possible to have.....

:replicatoranime01:
ALL REPLICATORS, ALL GALAXIES, ALL THE TIME !!!:replicatoranime01:

I wouldn't rule them out of SGU. Besides, what if it turns out the Ancients are responsible for the replicators. They would certainly be a valid part of any Ancient story

(We may already know this, but I'm old, so forgive me as my memory forgets sometimes ;) )

spinny magee
October 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
...please, please please dear writers for the new show now more replicators as evil guys, they have been done to death in both shows.

Agreed and as hisg1fans said they have spread to 3 seperate galaxies.....well they used to anyways... yeah theres a chance we might see them in SGU but i hope they aren't human form Replicators. Bring the furlings on the show i say!

quade_1
October 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I didn't like the replicators near the end of SG-1, right about when Repli-Carter came in. SGA was a little interesting since they had different plans than total annihilation. But I would like to see good Replicators, maybe even in the classic bug form?

I_haz_a_Cookie
October 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
i want bugs like SST arachnids!

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
^ I'm sorry to say this but I don't think you're gonna get what you want coz Starship Troopers was an 18 and pretty violant plus you've gotta keep the main team alive for at least a couple of seasons. ;)

akren
October 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
The Replicators in SG-1 were cool. The Asurans in SGA, IMHO, weren't done right & had so much more potential to live up to to differienturate themselves from the MW Repicators. As for Replicators in SGU? NO THANKS! :P

Infinatus
October 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking there might be "alien-form" replicators in SGU. :P

akren
October 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
For the sweet love of baby Jesus; if they do I will loose it for crying out loud! :mckay:

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I wonder if all the original ones went to Halla when the Asgard activated Reece's command for them.
There may have been some rebelious ones that decided not to follow the command.

General Yogi Bear
October 6th, 2008, 12:25 AM
After Universe is over I hope they have a new tv series that is totally dedicated to the Replicators then after that Replicator movies. For example, you could have an episode where the Replicators go back in time and fight in the American Civil War. It would be awesome.

TheHumanElement
October 6th, 2008, 02:24 AM
After Universe is over I hope they have a new tv series that is totally dedicated to the Replicators then after that Replicator movies. For example, you could have an episode where the Replicators go back in time and fight in the American Civil War. It would be awesome.
How about replicator/human hybrids. Essentially cyborg's. That'd be differant for a new type of villian, at least in stargate. They'd be like the borg. And just because it's like the borg doesn't mean it'll be another ST: Voyager.

gatechick
October 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I too would love to NOT see anymore replicators. I loved the milky way replicators, hated the asurans, and can't stomache the thought of more repli's again. time for some new original enemies!! :jack: Maybe evil Jack clones ;)

Vertigold
October 8th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I agree with the OP no more replicators unless they are good or part of the ship (for repairs etc.) although I'm sure if that happened TPTB will find some way to make them evil (even if it's just for one episode).

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM

I don't think that would happen coz the replicators always seek out the most advanced technology and they're not concerned with historical events.
I think it's more likely if Replicators have time travel technology they'd travel back to a time when the Ancients were present in our galaxy and take their technology.
That would completely re-write history as we know it.
If they took control of Atlantis before it was launched from Earth then we'd probably never have gained any tech.

Buck32
October 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Knowing what we do about the writers and producers of stargate, of course they'll be replicators, they can't think of anything else!!!

kymeric
October 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Well this hyper intelligent fish race on the other side of the universe developed advanced AI technology that eventually used nanite form (cuz its the smallest and most flexible physical form). But now they cant use it because replicators have been done to death and you dont wanna see it. So instead they will make the bizarre decision to create giant solid piece robotic bodies that transform into vehicles.

XD

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well this hyper intelligent fish race on the other side of the universe developed advanced AI technology that eventually used nanite form (cuz its the smallest and most flexible physical form). But now they cant use it because replicators have been done to death and you dont wanna see it. So instead they will make the bizarre decision to create giant solid piece robotic bodies that transform into vehicles.

XD

Transformers in Stargate would be sweet :D :lol:

LostCityGuardian
October 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Just to be the odd one out ... I actually liked the replicators. As long as there was some distinction between replicators in SGU and what we have already seen, I wouldn't be too annoyed about seeing them again.

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 9th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Just to be the odd one out ... I actually liked the replicators. As long as there was some distinction between replicators in SGU and what we have already seen, I wouldn't be too annoyed about seeing them again.

You're not the only one who likes the Replicators, I don't personally consider the Asurans in the same vein as they didn't originate in the same way.
My favorites were the Reese made ones though in their original form :)
I think mechanized repair machines would be cool for maintaining Destiny in SGU.

LostCityGuardian
October 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
You're not the only one who likes the Replicators, I don't personally consider the Asurans in the same vein as they didn't originate in the same way.
My favorites were the Reese made ones though in their original form :)
I think mechanized repair machines would be cool for maintaining Destiny in SGU.

So did I. As an example, although there seems to be criticism of the replicators making an appearance in AoT, I actually thought they suited the story pretty well. Their entry seemed believeable (the IOA using them as a weapon was in keeping with the past IOA conduct), and they provided a good counterpoint to the Ori story to provide a context for Carter and Mitchell to do something (since they weren't as connected with Adria as Daniel and Vala). It was also pretty cool just to see the little bugs again. I probably wouldn't want human form replicators of any sort to reappear in SGU (although I did like the Pegasus replicators), but I wouldn't mind the bugs making a reappearance - maybe to lead onto a new replicator form and story.

prion
October 10th, 2008, 03:26 AM
One can only hope the writers realize the Replicators are a done deal and a BORING villain.

Promethius30
October 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM

I completely agree no more replicators or even me a stargate fan boy will boycott the series

Jack_Bauer
October 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I completely agree no more replicators or even me a stargate fan boy will boycott the series

i'll follow you with that sentiment!

Spimman
October 13th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Oh I hope not. It seems like we won't see too many old aliens, but new ones.

Maybe a 3rd tribe of the Asgard? LOL ;-)

SoulReaver
October 13th, 2008, 07:15 AM
...please, please please dear writers for the new show now more replicators as evil guys, they have been done to death in both shows. okay, think of smth creative here, not those little bugs....i hate them..i thought in season 5 and 6 of sg1 they were okay, and even in atlantis for some part in season 3, but enough is enough...there are so many possibilities, but no more replicators, yeah?it's the asurans that ruined the whole replicator thing
even the IDA humanoid replicators were not necessary

those IDA spiders were one of the most formidable enemies in the SG verse, and unlike the other bad guys (goauld, wraith, ori etc.), their power remained consistent right till the end, they were never "dumbed down"

=> more bugs ftw !! :replicatoranime01:

Murzin
October 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
i would like to see the following:

a universe that has ultra high tech. the "settled" worlds have teleport platforms rather than stargates. they have never heard of the ori or alterrans or replicators.

its a setup like the milky way but there are 3 factions constantly battling each other and the "team" is stuck between all 3 factions. the factions are collections of worlds and races in the galaxy. no faction on its own is "evil" or "good". each has shades of grey. the first "faction" they run into is.... the leader of one of them, a race called the furlings. !!!

i think that would be interesting. and the show is based on the team trying to get the technology to repair their ship and setup relationships with the factions.

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 16th, 2008, 08:15 PM
So did I. As an example, although there seems to be criticism of the replicators making an appearance in AoT, I actually thought they suited the story pretty well. Their entry seemed believeable (the IOA using them as a weapon was in keeping with the past IOA conduct), and they provided a good counterpoint to the Ori story to provide a context for Carter and Mitchell to do something (since they weren't as connected with Adria as Daniel and Vala). It was also pretty cool just to see the little bugs again. I probably wouldn't want human form replicators of any sort to reappear in SGU (although I did like the Pegasus replicators), but I wouldn't mind the bugs making a reappearance - maybe to lead onto a new replicator form and story.

The only thing I thought was stupid about AoT was the IOA guy when he had all the Replicator parts protruding from his skin, to me that just looked a bit tacky and wasn't really needed as part of the whole Replicator part of the story in my opinion apart from that the Replicators were good to see and in my opinion they added a bit of extra tension and suspense to the back end of the story.

I'm not sure what new form the Replicators could turn into, but if they do make an appearance then I'd like to see them return as the bugs too and not Human form ones. :)

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM

a universe that has ultra high tech. the "settled" worlds have teleport platforms rather than stargates. they have never heard of the ori or alterrans or replicators.

its a setup like the milky way but there are 3 factions constantly battling each other and the "team" is stuck between all 3 factions. the factions are collections of worlds and races in the galaxy. no faction on its own is "evil" or "good". each has shades of grey. the first "faction" they run into is.... the leader of one of them, a race called the furlings. !!!

i think that would be interesting. and the show is based on the team trying to get the technology to repair their ship and setup relationships with the factions.

I like that :) the idea of the Furlings making an appearance.
Many have said that TPTB will never show them to the fans as they've been built up too much, but it would be good to know what they actually look like and what technology they have (by that I mean ships, other stuff and not just the arch way transporter thing in Paradise Lost ;))
The faction idea is a good one too, they could be spread out across multiple galaxies so they can make reappearances on the show, if the Furlings have made it to another galaxy then they must be capable of intergalactic travel.
What if the Furlings didn't just use hyperdrive engines but had a kind of instantaneous ship transporter that can teleport a ship from one point in space to another ;)

I think the Destiny should be able to repair itself though using mechanized bugs, but not Replicators.

If the Replicators do make some kind of appearance I'd hope it's an off shoot of the MW ones that didn't obey the command sent out by the Asgard using Reese :)

LostCityGuardian
October 16th, 2008, 09:20 PM
The only thing I thought was stupid about AoT was the IOA guy when he had all the Replicator parts protruding from his skin, to me that just looked a bit tacky and wasn't really needed as part of the whole Replicator part of the story in my opinion apart from that the Replicators were good to see and in my opinion they added a bit of extra tension and suspense to the back end of the story.

I'm not sure what new form the Replicators could turn into, but if they do make an appearance then I'd like to see them return as the bugs too and not Human form ones. :)

Yeah, Marrick was a bit odd as a replicator. I did like the human shaped one at the end which formed out of the Marrick blocks. Maybe bit like a Terminator without skin, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of replicator again, though, but it was pretty CGI heavy. Of course, SGU apparently has a bigger budget ...

Darynlxm
October 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM

I like this idea mainly because you are taking transporter technology to a new SG-level. I also like the idea that there is little to no connection to the Alterans / Ori, its not that I hate them, but frankly the writers need to move on and create new great races for us to enjoy!

This would also seem to be a good idea, up to a certain point. I like everything excet the last sentence...

and on that note: NO! The problem with introducing the Furlings at this stage in the SGverse is that there has been so much hype and rumour and speculation, etc, that there is just no way I see the writers introducing them to us as a believable and interesting race. I honestly believe the majority of fans would be disappointed by then and I also believe that there should still be some mysteries that we just dont solve.

Granted, that is only my opinion, but... I still stand by it. ;)

In regards to the OP, I concur, no more Replicators

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah, Marrick was a bit odd as a replicator. I did like the human shaped one at the end which formed out of the Marrick blocks. Maybe bit like a Terminator without skin, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of replicator again, though, but it was pretty CGI heavy. Of course, SGU apparently has a bigger budget ...

That would be a bit different seeing that kind of Replicator, perhaps a new race of intelligent machines like in the Matrix or Terminator, that has conquered an entire galaxy and doesn't tolerate other forms of life than it's own.

I think Joe M said on his blog that the budget for Universe would be similar to the sixth season of Atlantis but as the majority of the cast's wages would be considerably less than that of the Atlantis cast more funding could be used on the effects side of things.

Betelgeuze
October 19th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I agree, no replicators. It would be nice to see completely new races. I'm hoping there will be more advanced races in SGU. Not like in SG-1 and SGA where one technologically advanced race is limiting the progress of other races. If there is more then one advanced species, the relationships between these advanced cultures would be more interesting. Maybe have alliances and wars between different advanced cultures, and have the Earth people get involved.

It would also be more interesting if the mythologies/religions in SGU do not correspond with Earth based mythology/religion. Maybe some of the races in SGU can have a religion/mythology based on the origins of the Stargate. With some races speculating about an advanced race seeding the Stargates and others thinking the gates were put there by god-like beings. Maybe have the humans from Earth be the only ones who know about the Ancients and the Destiny.

jnadreth
October 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Thats exactly what I suggested in another thread-Thats the way it should be. I would also have it that there is no chance of getting home (This would keep it different to ST VOY) seems like the people here have said with one voice what they want Universe to be, I hope there is attention being paid.

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
As Universe is not limited to just a few galaxies and may take place deeper in space than we've ever seen, the possibilities for this show are just so much greater than the previous series.
I mean with SG1 and SGA you always had the two familiar galaxies and the odd appearance of Ida, but the only likely constant with Universe is going to be the Destiny and the problem with that could be that you may get new races all the time and this may limit the depth of the stories especially if you don't get to know these aliens enough.
Having at least one or a few regular reoccurring races for most of the series could solve this.
With an intergalactic series there has to be some intergalactic race(s) that we see more than once.

These are just my thoughts :)