PDA

View Full Version : An Avatar/AI running Destiny? Rumors/Speculation/Spoilers

quade_1
October 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
What kind of AI do you guys think we will see and what kind do you want to see on Universe??

I am thinking it must have an integrated AI to control the ship, will it have a hologram display?? that would be an interesting recurring character.
What about physical maintanence? if something happens and wires need to be soldered back together, is there robots??? Kind of like replicators but don't have a conciousness and are commanded by the ship AI? or could the ship be built of replicator type material that fixes itself? maybe even half-tech half-organic like Hive ships?

Falcon Horus
October 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Farscape -> ship controlled robots - Moya/Pilot controlled the DRD's

or

Andromeda -> AI holographic girl

Haven't seen Andromeda so can't know for sure.

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
I think it will have a sophisticated AI system, it would be nice to see an AI consiousness of an Ancient controlling the ship which the Universe team could interact with this may of course be compared by many to the Doctor in Star Trek Voyager but as it would be based on an Ancient I would hope that people would refrain from those types of comparisons. Maybe the solid Holograms seen in season 10 of SG1 to maintain the ship

Xen9228
October 1st, 2008, 05:23 PM
Maybe the solid Holograms seen in season 10 of SG1 to maintain the ship

When was this?

chewie2020
October 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
i think he is talking about unending, where carter is able to create musical instruments and play them.

J-Whitt Remastered
October 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
i think he is talking about unending, where carter is able to create musical instruments and play them.

Actually those weren't holograms. The chello (sp?) was an actual musical instrument. Remember that they made food the same way during all their years on the ship. Maybe he was talking about holograms like the knights that Mitchel fought in seasons 9 and 10.

quade_1
October 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Farscape -> ship controlled robots - Moya/Pilot controlled the DRD's

or

Andromeda -> AI holographic girl

Haven't seen Andromeda so can't know for sure.

I haven't seen either of those shows, but its not like SciFi doesn't recycle ideas every once in a while. Im sure those shows didn't come up with that idea themselves. Red Dwarf had a holographic representation of the ship, if i remember correctly.

Infinatus
October 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
What kind of AI do you guys think we will see and what kind do you want to see on Universe??

I am thinking it must have an integrated AI to control the ship, will it have a hologram display?? that would be an interesting recurring character.
What about physical maintanence? if something happens and wires need to be soldered back together, is there robots??? Kind of like replicators but don't have a conciousness and are commanded by the ship AI? or could the ship be built of replicator type material that fixes itself? maybe even half-tech half-organic like Hive ships?

Atlantis was the most advanced creation of the Ancients and as far as we know it doesn't have an AI of any kind.

quade_1
October 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
Atlantis was the most advanced creation of the Ancients and as far as we know it doesn't have an AI of any kind.

"as far as we know"

I think there is an AI on Atlantis they just never found. Otherwise there would be way too many protocols, such as the quarantine procedure when there is a virus detected, minimizing the shield to save power, raising the city from underwater, etc.

Or maybe they had a problem with the AI which is why they abandoned the project?

TheHumanElement
October 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
I haven't seen either of those shows, but its not like SciFi doesn't recycle ideas every once in a while. Im sure those shows didn't come up with that idea themselves. Red Dwarf had a holographic representation of the ship, if i remember correctly.

If they use a hologram it should be like Rommie of Andromeda meets the "The Doctor" of Voyager.

So the AI would run the whole ship like Rommie, but it'd be a solid hologram like the doctor. As an added twist, what if the hologram could be projected long distances. I remember seeing something like this in both an episode of Sliders and Voyager. So the hologram wouldn't be limited to the ship. It could be projected onto planet surfaces maybe within a light year or so. The hologram would not be like "The Doctor" of Voyager who was independent of the ship in later seasons. This hologram would be dependant on the ship for projection.

Maybe instead of "ship controlled" robots, I think the robots should be independent of the ship. So if the ships AI is malfunctioning the pre-programmed AIs which are independent of the ship could fix it. If the AIs were ship controlled, if the ships AI malfunctions then the whole ship is screwed. The robots might take the form of drones.

I'd also like to see a replicator. What if replicators were an integral part of Lantean life before Asuran incident. Kind of like in BSG. Then they could say it was only the act of trying to turn the replicators into a weapon that made them become so dangerous. I really love the more advance human form replicators from Atlantis. I'd love to see a good one for a change.

akren
October 1st, 2008, 10:06 PM
Oh gods, no AI & no more Replicators! If the Ancient had one in Altantis, I think we would o seen it by nows & the Replicators have been totally done to death. :(

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
When was this?

I was wrong about which season that the holograms appeared in the show.
It was actually in season 9, the episodes were Avalon part 2 and Camelot.
Here's a small spoiler for SGA season 5 First Contact:
The door to Janus's lab is described by McKay as being an advanced solid Hologram, so if there are solid holograms on Destiny then they could use a similar technology to this.

Also I wasn't talking about the matter conversion tech in Unending.

thekillman
October 2nd, 2008, 06:54 AM
the wall wasnt a solid hologram. it was actual matter, that becomes gasious whith harmonic resonance. thus you can step through.

"like a solid hologram, but better".

what if an AI, tied to a hologram, controls the ship, and a hologram room allows guest stars: someone's tied to the hologram, allows him to walk around, and interact, but he isnt physically there.

TheHumanElement
October 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
I was wrong about which season that the holograms appeared in the show.
It was actually in season 9, the episodes were Avalon part 2 and Camelot.
Here's a small spoiler for SGA season 5 First Contact:
The door to Janus's lab is described by McKay as being an advanced solid Hologram, so if there are solid holograms on Destiny then they could use a similar technology to this.

Also I wasn't talking about the matter conversion tech in Unending.
In SG1, Your talking about the dragon they fought in the cave right? Or was it the knight? Or both. I forgot about those.

unluckynumber11
October 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
i hope the A.I. would be......http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/Cortana_h3.png Cortana :D

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
In SG1, Your talking about the dragon they fought in the cave right? Or was it the knight? Or both. I forgot about those.

The dragon was in season 10 and I'm not sure if it was a hologram.
Could it have been made of Replicator nano cells? or be something similar to the "better than a hologram" door that Janus had in his secret lab
I'd forgotten about the dragon. ;)
I was just talking about the Knights, but the dragon appeared to be solid too. :)

quade_1
October 2nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
I think the hologram room would be a good idea, that way they could have another recurring character. and they wouldn't have to use every episode or explain where they are when they aren't in the previous episode.

thekillman
October 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
well i think the key to the Destiny lies on annother planet. it uses a heavy powersource, builds up power [takes a few months] and dials the 9 chevron adress. it also has a Hologram Node, so when you enter, you connect to the ship and can walk around like a hologram.

TheHumanElement
October 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
The dragon was in season 10 and I'm not sure if it was a hologram.
Could it have been made of Replicator nano cells? or be something similar to the "better than a hologram" door that Janus had in his secret lab
I'd forgotten about the dragon. ;)
I was just talking about the Knights, but the dragon appeared to be solid too. :)
Actually, Star Trek used to have solid holograms too. It's possible that they just used forcefields in combination with the holograms to make them solid.

Rise Of The Phoenix
October 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Actually, Star Trek used to have solid holograms too. It's possible that they just used forcefields in combination with the holograms to make them solid.

You know I'd completely forgotten that they had solid holograms in the holodeck in Star Trek. :)
I still don't wanna see people comparing SGU to Voyager as it's getting a bit boring and old now;)

justlookin
October 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Do you all think that at one point an avatar for the ship is gonna be introduced?
I mean so far the ship has been shown to be highly advanced (e.g., flying into a sun), so why not an avatar?
It would provide some interesting stories...don't 'cha think?

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Would this avatar look like the child of Mr Woolsey and Dr Lam?

Major Tyler
October 27th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Do you all think that at one point an avatar for the ship is gonna be introduced?
I mean so far the ship has been shown to be highly advanced (e.g., flying into a sun), so why not an avatar?
It would provide some interesting stories...don't 'cha think?If this happened, I would immediately throw the show.

I never liked Andromeda.

g.o.d
October 27th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I wanted an avatar or ship'S AI before the SGU started, but right now it would imho. destroy the show

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Cue the 'SGU is ripping off Andromeda' crowd.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Sure, why not.

I think it will look something like this:
http://img.listal.com/image/308930/200-lexa-doig.jpg

NO! For love of the-guy-that-I-don't-believe-in, no!

Lahela
October 27th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Cue the 'SGU is ripping off Andromeda' crowd.

And the 'SGU is ripping off Red Dwarf' crowd ;)

MattSilver 3k
October 27th, 2009, 02:28 AM
How about Destiny's avatar being solely exclusive to someone's mind? Like Rush sees his dead wife or Eli sees some kind of video game character-

Nah, that'd be silly. I say nay to Destiny having a humanesque avatar.

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 02:36 AM
And the 'SGU is ripping off Red Dwarf' crowd ;)

No no, can't be. It can only be the most recent show to do it. :rolleyes:

AcidBeast
October 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I thought It was cool in Andromeda and added the aspect of "highly advanced human beings with badass technology" to the show. SGU? Not so much.

dropstitch
October 27th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I think it's better having an AI that doesn't have a voice or personality. It makes the ship seem much more mysterious and foreign to the characters when it starts doing things on its own with no friendly voice reassuring everyone.

g.o.d
October 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I think it's better having an AI that doesn't have a voice or personality. It makes the ship seem much more mysterious and foreign to the characters when it starts doing things on its own with no friendly voice reassuring everyone.

and if ship's AI is someone like Holly from the Red Dwarf, it could be even worse :D

renboy
October 27th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I guess it could have some random Ancient hologram (like in Atlantis);
But yeah, I don't think it would fit the feel of the show.

Avatar or not - the Destiny sure has a very strong presence in the show.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:02 AM
A disembodied voice is just as good as a visible avatar.
"Time out for a second... that wasn't supposed to happen."
*flies towards the sun*
"You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 04:05 AM
*flies towards the sun*

Mmmm....cake... http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/jack/jackanime12.gif

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 04:09 AM
*flies towards the sun*

The cake is a lie.

Skydiver
October 27th, 2009, 04:14 AM
no avatar please

no consciousness, just programming should run the ship

if they're playing up the 'helpless' group of people passengers on a ship on a mission, then adding an avatar gives it a personality and makes that ship 'the enemy', something or someone to reason with and talk to and convince.

intriguing, but not what I think would work on the show now

P-90_177
October 27th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I did love the idea of an avatar in andromeda but it wouldn't work in this case.

Besides we've seen no evidence that the ship has an AI. Merely that it follows what it's programmed to do. Travel the universe, following the gate seeder ships while being able to find the resources it needs to continue its mission for itself and the crew.

jelgate
October 27th, 2009, 05:58 AM
No. It the most advanced Ancients ships (ie Atlantis and Auroa class) didn't have such an object it makes zero sense for the Derstiny to. Never mind its kind of lame when space ships talk. And that includes simlairties to the talking Star Trek computer

thekillman
October 27th, 2009, 06:04 AM
automated and AI are two different things.

destiny has the former.

so no Avatar

IcarusAbides
October 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
No no, can't be. It can only be the most recent show to do it. :rolleyes:
The Red Dwarf special last year makes it more recent than Andromeda so Dwarf wins.

DigiFluid
October 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM
The Red Dwarf special last year makes it more recent than Andromeda so Dwarf wins.

...fair point.

Stormtrooper
October 27th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Who knows what the Destiny has been through? Maybe it was given life by a race of living machines ;)

In which case, I choose Chloe as its avatar.

fallenexile452
October 27th, 2009, 06:23 AM
If they did have one in think something really rudimentary like the superintendent from halo:odst would be better rather than the super AI's from andromeda. Initially i did think that because Atlantis didn't have an AI that destiny wouldn't but thinking about it after their experience with the replicators they could have just deleted the Atlantis avatar. I think it'll probably be better though if its just programming and event analysing algorithms rather than a sentient being controlling the ship, from what we've seen it was only after Rush started telling the ship what they needed that it started to do anything so an AI seems unlikely at least at this point.

TheHomegaMan
October 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Dear God, no AI/Avatar. If they felt they had to do it, and I'm praying they don't, then rip a page right out of BSG and have it completely and utterly insane. Capable of running the ship, but spouting off nonsense as it does so.

_Famrir_
October 27th, 2009, 01:22 PM
yea that would be bad... tho i personally wouldnt mind either way

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Sure, why not.

I think it will look something like this:
http://img.listal.com/image/308930/200-lexa-doig.jpg

NO! For love of the-guy-that-I-don't-believe-in, no!

Isn't that Dr. Carolyn Lam? (SG1, S9 & S10)

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Dear God, no AI/Avatar. If they felt they had to do it, and I'm praying they don't, then rip a page right out of BSG and have it completely and utterly insane. Capable of running the ship, but spouting off nonsense as it does so.

And BSG didn't even do that first. Just look at the Controller from the Doctor Who episode Bad Wolf. But let's not get into the "who did it first game". It's extremely boring and seems to go on forever.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Isn't that Dr. Carolyn Lam? (SG1, S9 & S10)

Yup. Lexa Doig, the actress who played Doctor Lam also played Andromeda/Rommie on the sci fi show Andromeda.

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yup. Lexa Doig, the actress who played Doctor Lam also played Andromeda/Rommie on the sci fi show Andromeda.

Never saw Andromeda. Heard of it, but never saw it. I'm going to look up Lexa Doig now. Thanks.

ETA/
Wow, Google certainly has some sexy pictures of her. Some really hot picture. Pictures that wouldn't be allowed on this board at all.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Never saw Andromeda. Heard of it, but never saw it. I'm going to look up Lexa Doig now. Thanks.

You're very welcome. There's nothing special about Andromeda, but it can be enjoyable sci fi.

The Prophet
October 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I can imagine there being a HAL conciousness now :P

"Close the shuttle bay doors Hal!"
"I'm afraid I can't do that, Matthew"

... :S

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
so I read all the comments above now, instead only looking at the pictures, so what is this thread about?
Or is it just:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8306/picturecg.jpg

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 01:48 PM
so I read all the comments above now, instead only looking at the pictures, so what is this thread about?
Or is it just:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8306/picturecg.jpg

Yeah, that pretty much defines the entire thread.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah, that pretty much defines the entire thread.You mean forum.

And did no one notice my post way back at the beginning saying the avatar should look like the child of Dr Lam and Mr Woolsey? :P :P :P Or did no one get it?

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM
You mean forum.

And did no one notice my post way back at the beginning saying the avatar should look like the child of Dr Lam and Mr Woolsey? :P :P :P Or did no one get it?

I must have missed that one. :D Have some green.

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I must have missed that one. :D Have some green.

Actually I like blue better. :D :D :p :p

Well, there is a raging battle between blue and green on GW.

So what were we talking about?

I seem to have lost the thread of this thread somewhere?

Was it pie?

Mmmm, I love pie.

And candy.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
My favourite colour is blue. And that has nothing to do with Chloe.

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Actually I like blue better. :D :D :p :p

Well, there is a raging battle between blue and green on GW.

So what were we talking about?

I seem to have lost the thread of this thread somewhere?

Was it pie?

Mmmm, I love pie.

And candy.

Mmmm pie....... *drifts off in deep thoughts about pie*

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Still she has pretty eyes.
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8071/elyselevesqueeyes.jpg
I'm watching you!

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm watching you!

Her eyes are as beautiful as the oceans themselves... *drowns in her eyes*

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Her eyes are as beautiful as the oceans themselves... *drowns in her eyes*

Nah, I like Jewel Staite's eyes better.
I like JS better than EL.

I'm still watching you.
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv53/JperW/07copy.jpg

*drowns in JS her eyes*

reddevil18
October 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
STOP!
http://www.sara-info.de/aang_back.jpg

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'm watching you!I stared at my screen for a whole minute.

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Nah, first of all it's very unlikely there will be an avatar, and secondly then avatar would be the perfect image in resemblance to Jewel. She's the perfect avatar. No doubt about that. It's just the most perfectly preserved secret on the planet but JS will portray Destiny's avatar:
Spoilered for size only, CLICK the spoiler tag, do it!
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv53/JperW/jewel9739ja9.jpg

reddevil18
October 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM
God, the HUGENESS!

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Put the image in a spoiler tag, please.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
There's rules about hugeness.

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
So? There's rules about the subject of a thread too? There's rules about everything. We at least broke a dozen of GW Forum's rules, so why not another one. :D :p :p :p :p

Have some JS love:
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv53/JperW/jewel-staite-serenity-premiere-6.jpg

reddevil18
October 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, but that picture is painful on the eyes.

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Such LIES! Lies! Lies! Jewel is nothing short of amazing. :p

EvilSpaceAlien
October 27th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Warning! You may pass out from the shear cuteness of Elyse.
http://cdn.chickipedia.com/www/images/3/33/Elyse_Levesque.jpg
Let's not start a war. I think that Elyse and Jewel are both very cute and I do not want to pick one over the other.

Mythophile
October 27th, 2009, 03:26 PM
*flies towards the sun*

I admit, a GlaDOS-esque AI would certainly obliterate the whole friendly computer concept.

Young: "These aren't the right people! I'm not the right leader!"

GlaDOS: "You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. Where did your life go so wrong?"

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Young: "These aren't the right people! I'm not the right leader!"

GlaDOS: "You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. Where did your life go so wrong?"Classic!

If the above JS pic was Keller, Rodney would have fainted. :mckay: "I didn't faint, I passed out from manly hunger. Um, I mean... er..."

*scrolls down to Elyse* *brain reboots*
Her face is... glowing...

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Whatever you do, Jewel will always be the one I return to. My brain will never have to reboot after seeing her. However, it might have to after seeing Elyse. However, Jewel will always bring me back, Elyse will just distract me a bit. That's all.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Exaggerated offtopicness aside, what if Destiny has an avatar... but only Rush can see her :S

Jper
October 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Oh, come on. That's not very likely is it.
The Destiny doesn't have an avatar.

reddevil18
October 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Exaggerated offtopicness aside, what if Destiny has an avatar... but only Rush can see her :SThen BSGU will be official.

rlr149
October 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/8015/214447-156176-hk-47_large.jpg

i could live with a full on droid, hk47 maybe. "meatbags detected!"

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Oh, come on. That's not very likely is it.
The Destiny doesn't have an avatar.Hush, I know/believe it doesn't but I was trying to be mildly entertaining.

Jaden
October 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Heh i loved Andromeda. Sure why not. But i do not think it would work as good. Leave it alone.

Cold Fuzz
October 27th, 2009, 11:33 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/8015/214447-156176-hk-47_large.jpg

i could live with a full on droid, hk47 maybe. "meatbags detected!"

:lol:

With everything going on the Destiny right now, it would definitely give an interesting subtext to one of HK's best lines: "Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds."

I can imagine the Destiny avatar saying that to Eli. :D What inspiration.

Eternal Density
October 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Kinky.

Jper
October 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Hush, I know/believe it doesn't but I was trying to be mildly entertaining.

:p Oh yeah, I know. :D

Horcrux
November 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi all

Some say that the AI on board Destiny will make a appereance in a form of hologram and intercat with the crew, that may happen when the crew gets control of Destiny.

In my humble opinion i wish it stays as it is, that out of the blue and without explanation things happen on the Destiny for a purpose but unkown for the crew, its better gives the Destiny a air of mystery and that you dont know why is it doing things without having a hologram appearing and explaining the situation.

What do you guys think

lordofseas
November 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
I think there is no AI.

Avenger
November 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
If there is some kind of AI, brace yourselves for the "SG:Andromeda" threads every three minutes.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I don't think it is so sophisticated that it can interact with the crew like Rommie from Andromeda does. It probably just has a few algorithms that conclude "Problem A needs Solution B. Searching for nearest Solution B."

Shpinxinator
November 2nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah I'd agree...more like a planetary search engine rather than an AI

Detox
November 3rd, 2009, 12:10 AM
I think the AI reminds me a lot of the Superintendant from Halo ODST.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Superintendent_%28Construct%29

I hope the writers keep it something along that line.

ckwongau
November 3rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
I think there is no AI.
I had see advertisement of electronic appliance like air-conditioner , TV, washing machine ,saying they have AI tech build into them.
A ship like Destiny ,can use up all it's remaining reserve and travel to the nearless sun ,and recharge by itself.

It must have some form of A.I built into Destiny.
Before the the Ancient built Asuran , the Ancient were not as afraid of develope advance as A.I .

The question is more about whether the ship should have a personalities.

Destiny's A.I could have a cool personalities like Nightrider KITT
or it could be like Atlantis 's computer (just machine, follow its program to ,nothing more

Mongoletsi
November 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM
I found these inside 3 seconds, why couldn't you?

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=59788
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=70688

frankr
November 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Another vote for no AI; But I do think there is a very sophisticated Expert System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system) on the ship.

escyos
November 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
i dont think theres something like a separate entity within the computer which controls the ship, i think its more of a intuative system, like when rush was searching the database for anythgin related to the life support systems, the ship realised the life support systems werent operating properly and deduced that they needed a certain material to restore them so it found the planet they needed.

although i wouldnt go past there being a spearate entity on board, perhaps a robot who drinks martinis and switched between being irrevelant and maudline

http://theinfosphere.org/images/thumb/c/c1/Ihawk2.png/225px-Ihawk2.png

DigiFluid
November 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
i dont think theres something like a separate entity within the computer which controls the ship, i think its more of a intuative system, like when rush was searching the database for anythgin related to the life support systems, the ship realised the life support systems werent operating properly and deduced that they needed a certain material to restore them so it found the planet they needed.

although i wouldnt go past there being a spearate entity on board, perhaps a robot who drinks martinis and switched between being irrevelant and maudline

http://theinfosphere.org/images/thumb/c/c1/Ihawk2.png/225px-Ihawk2.png
It's a moidah! :D

eonflux
November 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
As the holo AI whould add something to the show im sure. But it's not needed because everything you have seen done by Destiny and Atlantis we can do now in this time with giving programs hierarchy. For instance shield operations has priorty: 90. The rest, propulsion:80, life support:99 meaning life support will always be the last to go when power is low.

Hope I made sense ;-)

Offtopic: Can someone tell me what happened to the Asgard computer core. I know it was not destroyed where is it now??

DigiFluid
November 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Well as far as what we were told in 'Unending', it's pretty much permanently integrated into the Odyssey. I don't think we've been told anything to the contrary.

escyos
November 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
As the holo AI whould add something to the show im sure. But it's not needed because everything you have seen done by Destiny and Atlantis we can do now in this time with giving programs hierarchy. For instance shield operations has priorty: 90. The rest, propulsion:80, life support:99 meaning life support will always be the last to go when power is low.

Hope I made sense ;-)

Offtopic: Can someone tell me what happened to the Asgard computer core. I know it was not destroyed where is it now??

you mean the one on odyssey? its still there

Stormtrooper
November 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Chloe for avatar so Lt. Scott can do the ship.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Cloe being assimilated into the ship's systems? You know what? That actually sounds interesting!

Eternal Density
November 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Cloe being assimilated into the ship's systems? You know what? That actually sounds interesting!Imagine the possibilities. Hmm, how about Destiny realises that they can't access the bridge so it uses Chloe as a conduit...

TheChronoTrigger
November 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I think it would make an interesting story arch to find out that the ship does have an AI, but it's higher functions were disabled after the Ancients had problems with it. It could also explain why Atlantis and such does not include full on AI.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Imagine the possibilities. Hmm, how about Destiny realises that they can't access the bridge so it uses Chloe as a conduit...

For some reason I'm mostly imagining Cloe gaining a booming computerized voice as a result of that. :p

It think it would make her seem a lot cooler.

Stormtrooper
November 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
For some reason I'm mostly imagining Cloe gaining a booming computerized voice as a result of that. :p

It think it would make her seem a lot cooler.

Avatar Chloe to Lt. Scott: Keep your distance, meatbag.

Eternal Density
November 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
(crossposted)
The Chloenator: Troubleshooting Destiny one airlock at a time!

"I'm the Chloenator, and I can Breathe in Space."

jmoz
November 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
marvin from hitchhiker's

marvin approaches them to tell them something's wrong, they all walk in the opposite direction wanting to not hear about his depressive state. desperately clicking on a door to get it to open to avoid him. although i think rush would get along great with him.

kidding of course

Pharaoh Atem
November 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM
i doubt TPTB could afford a shiny perosn walking a round all the time

GateroomGuard
November 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM
i doubt TPTB could afford a shiny perosn walking a round all the time

Maybe the AI will work and communicate through the kinos. That way it can be everywhere.

Alan Wake
November 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Well... if there was an AI on board wouldn't the ship know what's going on, not only outside the ship... but inside?

If there was an AI controlling the ship, I would think the ship would notice that from the episode "light" the 17 people aboard the shuttle were trying to get back to the Destiny, and it wouldn't just jump away.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Avatar Chloe to Lt. Scott: Keep your distance, meatbag.

Somehow I pictured her with voice modulation vaguely similar to this. Only with less sinister dialogue.:o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kbRQq83-so

I'm not really that certain why. :P

Horcrux
November 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
If there is a AI onboard Destiny i hope it stays hidden, i really like the air of mystery that you dont know what the ship will do and without warning. Of course if there is a AI.

Thasc
November 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Destiny qualifies as a cognitive robot. It is capable of modelling the world and itself, and making decisions to alter the state of both to fulfil defined goals. As a cognitive robot, it also happens to qualify as a form of artificial intelligence.

nbkbauer
October 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM
No way. I don't there there is any AI or hologram in control of Destiny. It seems to me that there are ascended ancients aboard destiny and they are the one's controlling everything.

SBN
October 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
If there is an avatar I would expect that the SGU haters will jump up and down saying "This is a rip off of Andromeda", except I don't think too many watched or even remember that show....so I think we are safe so far.

carmencatalina
October 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Given the episode "Aftermath":

The possibility seems to exist that either the Gloria "hallucination" or the Franklin "hallucination" or both might be at least in part a method of communication between Destiny and Rush. Either that, or Rush has really, really gone off the deep end.

But the comment from "Franklin" that Rush missed some crucial data, and pointing out that data, would seem to indicate that at least some aspect of Franklin wasn't completely under Rush's control - so maybe not just a hallucination.

Pharaoh Atem
October 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
What kind of AI do you guys think we will see and what kind do you want to see on Universe??s?

franklin !!!! :D the actor would make a great AI

coZma
October 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Given the episode "Aftermath":

The possibility seems to exist that either the Gloria "hallucination" or the Franklin "hallucination" or both might be at least in part a method of communication between Destiny and Rush. Either that, or Rush has really, really gone off the deep end.

But the comment from "Franklin" that Rush missed some crucial data, and pointing out that data, would seem to indicate that at least some aspect of Franklin wasn't completely under Rush's control - so maybe not just a hallucination.

I don't think that they are part of the ships systems. Considering what happened to TJ and her baby I believe not only that they are under constant observation but also that they are part of some sort of experiment designed to determine how will they react in certain situations. I think that Rush's hallucinations, TJs trip, and the mysterious planet have the only purpose of testing them and through interpretation of their actions giving those aliens information about humanity . Sometimes I think that the planet didn't even exist, maybe that whole episode was some sort of Universe style Urgo remake

garhkal
October 9th, 2010, 05:03 AM
While i liked Urgo. i doubt it was a mass hallucination...

Shai Hulud
October 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Hasnt Jamil let it slip that Destiny is a conciousness absorbing machine?

thekillman
October 9th, 2010, 05:29 AM
i personally do not believe there's an AI in destiny. it's a complex robot, but i doubt there's intelligence.

i hope we find out somewhere in season 5 or so

Pharaoh Atem
October 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hasnt Jamil let it slip that Destiny is a conciousness absorbing machine?

he could have been joking .... that wouldn't make sense.

jelgate
October 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
he could have been joking .... that wouldn't make sense.

Given Aftermath it seems possible. They kind of left if ambigous if Rush has gone even more insane or Destiny is making these projections.