Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should SGU follow a special f/x green screen model similar to that of Sanctuary?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should SGU follow a special f/x green screen model similar to that of Sanctuary?

I think SGU should use more green screens then previous Stargate series. It seems like something that would help catapult the series significantly. They used green screens in the dvd movie "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales". It really made a big difference in terms of scale that a set just can't accomplish. You should have seen the B5 docking bay they used in the movie. It was just so massive.

And the CGI version of future New York was even more spectacular...
    Goto http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...id=4102&page=2 to see a flash video of future New York. There's no pics other then the flash so I can't post it. Here is the New York scene from the dvd on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0i4...eature=related

Here in the trailer you can catch a glimpse of the shuttle bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4PqxFC2J0A

So far the CGI effects of Sanctuary also seem really great. Stargate already has done great CGI also, but it would be really great if they took it a step further.

One of my pet peeves about SGverse is how every planet is forested. No jungle, and very rarely any deserts, etc. I understand it hasn't been possible because of where SG is filmed, but CGI tech could finally fill the void that filming on location can't. It would be even better if we could see more developed societies in SGU more on the level of Earth. With CGI we could see futuristic alien cities and architectures. Just my 2 cents. CGI could really make or break SGU.

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
    -Dow ad

You make some good points, THE.

Having exclusively CGI sets would be, in my opinion, a bit too much of a departure away from the precedent in the franchise, which has used a lot of built sets and found locations. While Sanctuary's all-CG approach is cool to see, it's also a very distinct look, and a very different look. And that design choice is fine for something like Sanctuary which is it's own world, but since Universe is a spin-off, it will have to adhere (to a point) with what came before it.

I think the middle ground of "mixed sets with CGI enhancements" would be the best way to go, personally. If I'm not mistaken, BSG does this currently with sets like the hangar bay where it's real up to a point and then the rest is CG. They did a mixture of partial suit and CGI suit parts on Iron Man as well, which turned out pretty well. I'm sure a mix of this would help give more alien elements to Universe.

One nice thing is it sounds like Universe is going to have a bigger budget than the previous shows, which will hopefully allow for the worlds to be much more varied. Hopefully it'll provide for enough swing set space that will allow for places to look very different, in addition to bulking up the CG budget.

From the premise of the show, it sounds like they'll be moving from place to place a lot and not staying in one location for very long, so there will surely be a lot of variance in designs between worlds and galaxies etc.
    Bryan Patrick Stoyle

IMDB Page
    Breakdown Services Resume
    Facebook Page

Comment

I think they should use the CG for the planets they go to -- use lots of CG in there, because it's supposed to be taking place in different galaxies all over the universe so it would be stupid for all the planets to look just like the parks around Vancouver.

Comment

Sanctuary blows it took amanda tapping away from stargate atlantis, even though its great for her because she is the star and wants to be independent i still think the show is going to stink. They should use CGI for SGU that would be awesome in every episode.

Comment

I agree in that some use of CGI greens-creen would be useful & help cut production costs, but props & 'on-location' sets have been a main-stay of the series; so a mixture of both would be ideal IMHO.

Comment

No.

Comment

For one, there's this thing call originality, so no. Also, seeing as the flipping thing will take place on one set for who knows how much of an episode, it's only logical to physically build it.

Comment

Green Screens look fake. I hate CG sets. If your going to do a chroma key use blue, unless you're shooting Superman.
                Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
                  Green Screens look fake. I hate CG sets. If your going to do a chroma key use blue, unless you're shooting Superman.
                  Why is blue better? They look less fake?

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
                  -Dow ad

Comment

i don't know what the difference is between blue vs green screen, but they are used b/c there is less green and blue pigments in human skin than any other color.

I would say NO, the reason is that I rarely see a green/bluescreen done well. I hated the way they filmed Sin City, and Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow. I haven't seen Sanctuary since they haven't aired it in Canada yet. But I would prefer the set, especially with the amazing set designers that are already employed by Stargate.

Comment

I think it all depends on the lighting and costumes. If there are too many greens in one shot then obviously you use the blue screen and the same for the other way around.

Comment

CGI should be used only sparingly. It is still insanely obvious when a CG backdrop is being used, despite advancements in the technique. It is primarily a technique to keep the budget down. Sets should and will be used whenever feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHumanElement View Post
                          I think SGU should use more green screens then previous Stargate series. It seems like something that would help catapult the series significantly. They used green screens in the dvd movie "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales".
                          And it looked terrible. Its hard to cut corners with models, either you see them or not, but its easy to render some lowlevel (cheap) rubbish.

Like NY Times writes about Tappings new Sanctuary "You might think, “Well, the animation can’t be cheap,” but you haven’t seen the show …"

and its mostly cgi.

Comment

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                            CGI should be used only sparingly. It is still insanely obvious when a CG backdrop is being used, despite advancements in the technique. It is primarily a technique to keep the budget down. Sets should and will be used whenever feasible.
                            It's because its actually very expensive to do it well (but very cheap to do it "so most people can't tell the difference anyway)

Comment

I think a slightly fake looking background is acceptable to the alternative which is that every planet has a wooded environment and every civilization is made up of villages modelling the Middle Age. I understand that filming is done in Canada so they are limited to woods and the occasional desert. CGI is the alternative venue that will allow a number of other landscapes to be explored.

Some of the best scenes in Stargate have been CGI. Look at the numerous views of Atlantis, and Celestia (SP?), the megatroplis of the Asurans, and the megavolcano where the Orion was stored. I think people need let go of the need for perfect sets. They need to suspend disbelief so that Stargate can grow beyond the cliched villages and wooded areas. Or else every galaxy will be dominated by some evil dictator who oppresses the development of society (Ori, Gou'uld(SP?), Wraith). Is that what people really want? I know I don't. I want to see more developed societies on par with earth more often.

-Dow ad

Comment

Working...
                              X