This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Audition for Universe?

Anyone know the steps to submit an audition? I'm not a professional actor, and I don't have an agent, so I don't know what needs to be done.

Beleive me, I know that this is a one in a million (or more) shot, but how many people think that and don't try? And how cool would it be to have a huge Stargate fan become a cast member, even if it were in a Walter or Chuck role?

I wonder if they would even look at youtube auditions.

Maybe we could post them here and vote. If you had the members of gateworld backing you, don't you think that would be incentive to at least look at the audition?

I think it helps having an agent, they tend to help you prepare for auditions and help you find work for which in return, you pay a commission/fee. Similar to that of a modelling agent.

Comment

You would need to find out who the casting director/casting agency is that is doing the auditioning. Agents tend to have access to that info which is the big reason having an agent makes it easier to be an actor... unfortunately, to get a good agent, you tend to need to prove to be financially viable before hand to them, which is difficult to do without representation. It's a vicious cycle.

As a rule, if you don't have the sides they want you to audition with, they won't generally look at an "audition". They may consider previous work, but youtube more than likely will not happen unless they announce they are going to be doing some manner of contest.

I've been trying to find the full casting call notice on the various channels that I have access to but have had no luck(all I can find are rehashes of the character sheets that have been posted everywhere). Basically, the key is finding out if it's an open call(open calls will have a couple days where everyone who wants to audition will go to a location, audition infront of a camera, and then wait to hear if they have made call-backs) and then finding out who is in charge of it(this is who you submit your headshot, resume, and reel to). If it's a closed casting call, then you're SOL unless you know someone or have an agent.

Comment

The casting director is Paul Weber, the head of MGM television casting. He's in charge of the US casting for all of the Stargate shows.

As it stands, for the here and now the only way you'll get to submit yourself is with an agent or manager. The breakdown was put onto Breakdown Express about a month ago (and leaked/released to the public a few weeks ago), but Breakdown Express is only available to agents and managers.

There's a little bit of this covered in my post on my audition for SG: Universe.
        Last edited by StoyBoy720; 01 October 2008, 02:46 PM. Reason: Adding bottom section.
        Bryan Patrick Stoyle

IMDB Page
        Breakdown Services Resume
        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by P5C768 View Post
          Anyone know the steps to submit an audition? I'm not a professional actor, and I don't have an agent, so I don't know what needs to be done.

Beleive me, I know that this is a one in a million (or more) shot, but how many people think that and don't try? And how cool would it be to have a huge Stargate fan become a cast member, even if it were in a Walter or Chuck role?

I wonder if they would even look at youtube auditions.

Maybe we could post them here and vote. If you had the members of gateworld backing you, don't you think that would be incentive to at least look at the audition?
          Actually, having a whole bunch of fans backing you might backfire. They'll think 'you're just a fan who wants to get on the show' and there are plenty of actual actors with talent, agents, etc. who will going for that same part.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but the only way a fan gets on the show is (er, was) to win the SciFi contest, and even then, you don't get paid, sign a ton of waivers, and that's it. You do need an agent, if for nothing else, than to protect yourself.

It's possible Skiffy might do a contest, but I can see it now (ages 18-25 only need apply)

Comment

well there's this other fan who is auditioning. but he has previous works. acting is a ladder, you have to climb it. you cant just jump high and get there.

Comment

don't you need to be a member of the "Screen Actors Guild" before anything else ???
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Yes and no.

Most television and all film would fall under SAG jurisdiction (or the Canadian counterpart for the Canadian talent who has worked on the shows).

There is, however, a process known as Taft-Hartley, by which a producer can bring in a non-union talent by giving reason for this use (can't find someone in the union who fits the vision of the role, etc.). From that point, said non-union talent can work on a project for 30 days and then must join SAG.

Getting into the unions is a big catch-22 for a lot of actors - you need a certain amount of significant work to get in, but union status helps get you that work.
                Bryan Patrick Stoyle

IMDB Page
                Breakdown Services Resume
                Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                X