PDA

View Full Version : Auditioning

StoyBoy720
September 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hey all,

I know I don't post here all that often, but I have some exciting news to share.

For those that don't know me, I'm pursuing a career as a professional actor. For the past year I've been working at a model & talent agency here in Buffalo, and as it turns out my boss, the owner of said agency, has a good working relationship with Paul Weber (head of MGM casting, and in charge of the US casting for the SG shows). After some discussion with my boss, she sent an email on my behalf, and

I'm going to get to audition for Stargate Universe!

Paul Weber has seen my headshot, and I'm going to audition for Eli Hitchcock at some point in the near future. The exact when and how is uncertain; it could be a taped audition or it could be in-person, if Mr. Weber comes to Buffalo to teach an acting workshop through the agency.

Now, obviously, this doesn't mean anything other than it's a great chance to geek out (and hey, maybe some bragging rights :p). But I'm obviously honored at the chance to audition for a major casting director for a major project, role or no role. I'm going to give it my all, and see what comes of it.

I just wanted to share the good news with you guys.

the fifth man
September 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Wow, that is really awesome. I wish you the best of luck.:)

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
September 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Good luck.:)

General Yogi Bear
September 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Awesome! Good luck! And may the force be with you.

Wolf O'Donnell
September 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Good luck.

If you get the role i hope you remain some what active in the forum.

Moao
September 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Good luck.

If you get the role i hope you remain some what active in the forum.

Agreed, that would be very cool!. don't forget us small people! ;)

oh and best of luck!

Slyke
September 30th, 2008, 08:27 PM
That's awesome dude! I'm happy for you :).

Nadji
September 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM
That is exciting, best of luck mate. I may have seen you around, what previous roles have you played?

pigletpie
September 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
congradulations!! and good luck!! :)

shivna
September 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
well thats wonderful news :D, i wish u the best of luck and hope that u make it

October 1st, 2008, 03:35 AM
good luck stoy boy, i hope you are jewish because for some reason a REAALLY want eli to be jewish (i don't know why :S)

Elite Anubis Guard
October 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
Congratulations :-) And good luck. I wish you the best. It's a fans dream. :)

StoyBoy720
October 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys! I'm very excited, and it's really cool to have fellow fans giving their well wishes, so thank you! :)

AvatarIII - Sorry, not Jewish. Irish/German, actually.

Nadji - Feel free to check out my website below in my signature. It has my acting resume as well as some video clips, including my demo reel.

prion
October 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hey all,

I know I don't post here all that often, but I have some exciting news to share.

For those that don't know me, I'm pursuing a career as a professional actor. For the past year I've been working at a model & talent agency here in Buffalo, and as it turns out my boss, the owner of said agency, has a good working relationship with Paul Weber (head of MGM casting, and in charge of the US casting for the SG shows). After some discussion with my boss, she sent an email on my behalf, and

Paul Weber has seen my headshot, and I'm going to audition for Eli Hitchcock at some point in the near future. The exact when and how is uncertain; it could be a taped audition or it could be in-person, if Mr. Weber comes to Buffalo to teach an acting workshop through the agency.

Now, obviously, this doesn't mean anything other than it's a great chance to geek out (and hey, maybe some bragging rights :p). But I'm obviously honored at the chance to audition for a major casting director for a major project, role or no role. I'm going to give it my all, and see what comes of it.

Good luck! FIngers crossed.

Sp!der
October 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM
good luck from me too....would be cool, if you're gonna make it.

Platschu
October 1st, 2008, 09:21 AM
Good luck! :D

GatorProduct4
October 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
hey thats great! It would be cool to have a fan who cares about the franchise up in the mix. Best of luck in your audition!

Hong3103
October 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Cool... if you happen to get one of the military roles please study up on it. Rainbow's portrayal of a Marine was really crappy.

Frontastic
October 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Best of luck!

Thanks guys! I'm very excited, and it's really cool to have fellow fans giving their well wishes, so thank you! :)

AvatarIII - Sorry, not Jewish. Irish/German, actually.

Nadji - Feel free to check out my website below in my signature. It has my acting resume as well as some video clips, including my demo reel.

We may finally have someone Irish on Stargate! Woo! :lol:

JackHarkness_Hot
October 1st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Good luck!!

It would be cool to have someone from GW, know we got your six! :cameron:

dalene
October 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hey good luck! You said you're from Buffalo, eh? Buffalo, NY? Me too! It would be great to see someone from Buffalo "make it big" & fantastic to see an actual fan on the show instead of another actor who never saw it before!
My best to you!

Constanza
October 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hey! Congrats!
Best of luck! :)

thekillman
October 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM
yea man good luck

Yaskaleh
October 1st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Best of luck on that audition.

StoyBoy720
October 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys! It's pretty awesome seeing fans getting behind this. :)

Dalene - Yup, Buffalo, NY. Cool to see there are other WNYers who are Stargate fans!

Frontastic - Sadly, just American, but of Irish & German descent. But yeah, go Irish! :p

Elite Anubis Guard
October 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Can you do an Irish accent?

StoyBoy720
October 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
EAG - Actually, my first play at college was "The Playboy of the Western World" and I had to learn a County Mayo accent for the role. So yes, I do an Irish accent (IMHO) pretty well, though of course native Irish will undoubtedly do a much more authentic accent than mine.

You can hear my accent in the short film iSpy (http://www.key-pixel.com/films_ispy.html) I did about 3 years ago, in which I play the character, Sgt. Irish Mann (very original name, eh? :p).

SamJackShipper93
October 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Best of luck to you! :) (When is the audition?)

Kinda curious, I'm still pretty young (high school sophmore) but I've always been interested in pursuing an acting career in television.

Do you have any tips about it, or about how I could/should start?

Thanks, and I'm rooting for you! ~Jess

StoyBoy720
October 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
SJS93 - Hey, and thanks! :)

Everyone will tell you different things, but my advice is to just go for it and try out as much as you can while learning as much as you can. I knew I wanted to act since I was a kid, but never really had any opportunities to until I was a senior in HS. I went to college for theatre and did a bunch of plays there, and found a lot of other plays outside in the Buffalo area, as well as working with film students on their film projects. It's cool because the college connections end up leading to other things a lot of the time.

Film students are great since they'll always need actors to work on their projects. And if they find someone they like they'll likely reuse them.

I'm big on getting a theatre background (and from what I hear, MGM casting director Paul Weber is too), since it helps with working on characters and scenes. There are certain techniques that differ from acting on-camera but a lot of the fundamentals are the same.

When starting out, just get as much experience as you can. Even if conditions are less than stellar, it's another line on the resume, another clip for the reel, and a few lessons on what to do and what not to do in the future.

I wish I could say I knew what the theatre/film situation was like in Minnesota, but I don't so I can't really go too much into it in any detail. But Just keep checking around for different projects, and give them a try. :)

SamJackShipper93
October 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice! One more question, when the time is right, where/how do I start looking for an agent?

StoyBoy720
October 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
SJS93 - I'll take this to PMs. Talk to you that way.

Xylian
October 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Best of luck to you! It would be cool to see someone from Gateworld getting a role in SGU. :)

Dark lord me
October 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yes best of luck and i really want to see someone from Gateworld get a role. You can give us all the major spoilers etc. And if you do get a military rold please study up and be the a mix btw RDA and JF

crowmagnumman
October 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
My audition for the role of Psycho... (sarcasm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxvcYgFBEkw

Don't mean to steal from your thunder StoyBoy. Hope you get the part.

StoyBoy720
October 2nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
Crow - Haha, no worries. I hope I get the part too. :p

DLM - Appreciate the sentiments, though I imagine I'll have to sign some sort of NDA, and then not be able to share too many spoilers. Of course that doesn't mean I would stop posting or not share (non-spoilerish) info with the fans. :) The good fans over at SciFiHero want me to be their costuming spy, so you're not the first request I've gotten of this nature. :p

RE: Military Role - As it stands, the only role that I'm auditioning for is Eli, which is non-military from my understanding (here's hoping I can keep my long hair! :p). Of course, things can certainly change once the actual audition happens. They changed half the characters around on Lost to fit the actors they wanted.

I actually did play a military role once before, again at college, in a play called "Paderewski's Children," by Polish playwright Kazimierz Braun. I was a member of the Polish army during World War I, and the director brought in an ROTC student to put the military characters through a "boot camp," as it were, during the entirety of the rehearsal process. It gave me a lot of respect for what the people in the military do and have to go through before they even get out of basic training.

I'll certainly do research on the background of any major characteristics if cast (military, science/mathematics etc.), so no need to worry there. I'll do the best I can. :)

mgf
October 2nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Words of advice from some one in the know,
Voice clarity = in clear proper english.
Huge imagination and not afraid to fully act it out/express it in front of the casting crew!

Give it a dam good shot.

ive added you onto my facebook. Keep a look out for a buddy request from Sydney Australia. Hopefully hear from you soon.

mgf
October 2nd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Best of luck to you! It would be cool to see someone from Gateworld getting a role in SGU. :)

It will finally be right after all this time. After all some of us have serious TV/film production backgrounds.

Blistna
October 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hey all,

How old are you? Just wondering! Oh...and congrats! :-)

StoyBoy720
October 2nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
MGF - Friended! And yeah, voice training is big. I only got a year of some basic Linklater work at UB but it helped out immensely. Also a few singing lessons here and there have helped develop my instrument a little bit more. So, definitely agree with you! :)

Blistna - 24, and thanks!

Frontastic
October 2nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys! It's pretty awesome seeing fans getting behind this. :)

Dalene - Yup, Buffalo, NY. Cool to see there are other WNYers who are Stargate fans!

Frontastic - Sadly, just American, but of Irish & German descent. But yeah, go Irish! :p

Meh, close enough! And if you really did learn a Co. Mayo accent then I like you even more. Anyone who tries to learn a real Irish accent rather than just putting on the Darby O'Gill one is ok in my books! God, those episodes of Heroes were hard to watch! :p

thekillman
October 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
well lets put it this way: you know the franchise. now use that knowledge

Coremae
October 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hey all,

hook me up son, i need to know where to meet these guys but a few of my pictures can be found at http://www.myspace.com/daddylizzo , though i'm rather well um impecunious, that's not beyond fixin, i think.

Let me know Jamal Dominic Barr

some what audacious but always impetuous, I like scifi me.

DrJacksonsMistress
October 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Congratulations on getting the audition! I only wish I got as lucky as you with the people you've met. I've been acting and singing my whole life and audition after audition I keep coming up just short. If you have any advice or anything I'd be incredibly appreciative!
... Also, when's the audition? I wanted to be sure I was saying a little prayer that someone gets to live the ultimate fan dream! LOL
Break a leg & let's us all know if u get it! I'll be praying for you!

stargatefan7693
October 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Good Luck!

StoyBoy720
October 3rd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Thanks guys!

Coremae - Honestly I don't think there's much I can do to help other than suggest you find a talent agency either based out of the bahamas or is willing to accept talent from there. I wish you good luck in finding one! :)

DJM - I "come up short" on some projects too. Not everyone is a perfect fit for every role or to work with every producer. My only suggestion is to keep plugging away at it, and read up on new techniques and the business side of acting as well. The latter may offer new insights you didn't know about before.

Jack_Bauer
October 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hey all,

AWESOME! Goodluck and Godspeed! If you get the role, you got to come back here from time to time :D

Blistna
October 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
MGF - Friended! And yeah, voice training is big. I only got a year of some basic Linklater work at UB but it helped out immensely. Also a few singing lessons here and there have helped develop my instrument a little bit more. So, definitely agree with you! :)

Blistna - 24, and thanks!

BTW...thanks for answering everyones question!

Arctic Goddess
October 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Break a leg, theater boy.

LostCityGuardian
October 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Good luck! Seeing a fan make it big in the Stargate universe would be great.

StoyBoy720
October 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
AG & LCG - Thanks!

Blistna - Hey, no problem. We fans are all in this together after all. And I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has.

StoyBoy720
October 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Got the audition sides today. So now it's time for me to rehearse some Stargate! :)

GraceONeill
October 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, that is unbelievably cool. Good luck and you know we all want you to get it.

A fan on the inside, you could be our own little spy hehe

thekillman
October 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM
lol :D

but hey, good luck. or as they say, "break a leg". or as i'd say: Go get your arse on SGU

StoyBoy720
October 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

It looks like the possibility of an in-person audition will come too late. As a result, I'm going to be videotaping my audition and sending it directly to Mr. Weber. I'm still working out the details but I'm hoping to tape the audition this weekend and hopefully get the video sent to Mr. Weber by early next week. :)

Delynn
October 9th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Best of luck!!!

Hehe maybe it's better you get to tape it: if you mess up, you can always redo it!!!

crowmagnumman
October 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM
A taped audition may not make as big an impression, but I'm sure it will be a much more comfortable audition. So being confident will be easier. And you get to avoid all those unexpected things that happen at auditions.

StoyBoy720
October 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys!

Turns out, my audition taping is a little sooner, as I'm going to be doing it TODAY (10/10) early this afternoon!

Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
October 12th, 2008, 05:05 AM
So? so? What news? The suspense is killing me :) How soon will you find out if you're in for a second round?

StoyBoy720
October 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Taping went pretty well.

I got a video of my audition that I'm content with, though not 100% sold on at the moment. It was a good audition, but I think I could do better.

I'll be running it by some peers that I've worked with before to see if I should use this or attempt a re-do.

Either way I'm getting a video (either this one or a retaped audition) in to Paul Weber this coming week.

I don't want to publicly post the link, but if anyone would care to see it, PM me.

McgillionFan
October 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
omg wow!! lol Wish you all the best of luck. Wow Stargate.

LostCityGuardian
October 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
StoyBoy, any idea on how long the selection process will take after you send your tape in?

Delynn
October 19th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Even if you get the part, you won't technically be able to tell us until it's officially announced, right?
You could always tell us in Pig Latin ;-)

StoyBoy720
October 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Othing-nay Et-yay. ;)

I had the tape sent to Paul Weber over the weekend. Everything now is pretty much out of my hands; so unless I hear anything back from them, I pretty much am done.

It was still really cool to even just throw my hat in the ring for a chance.

flea247
October 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
well good luck! i have my fingers and toes crossed for you!! :D

Lt.Col.Errandboy
October 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Othing-nay Et-yay. ;)

I had the tape sent to Paul Weber over the weekend. Everything now is pretty much out of my hands; so unless I hear anything back from them, I pretty much am done.

It was still really cool to even just throw my hat in the ring for a chance.

There's still hope!! Keep positive, and we'll do the same - would be so cool for a fellow GW user to actually get a role on SGU - hey, I might even watch it if you get on it! :lol:

StoyBoy720
October 21st, 2008, 10:42 PM
flea - Thanks! :D

LCE - I certainly have hope, don't get me wrong. :) I am more so acknowledging that the next step is in the hands of other people. I'm just trying to maintain professionalism by going in, doing my work, and then letting it go until I have reason to return to it (like getting a callback, for example).

In the meantime there are other projects to work on. And if nothing else, it looks like Stargate Hades, the fan film I acted in a few years ago, will finally be getting released online in the near future, hopefully before the end of 2008. So I'll have some small mark on Stargate regardless. :p

EDIT:

LCG - I'm sorry, I don't think I ever actually answered your question. As for how long it takes, I honestly don't know. Every project has its own timetable for casting. For this, I imagine it will take a little while. They don't start filming the pilot until February, so I imagine nothing will be locked down for sure until closer to the end of 2008, if not as late as January. In short, it comes down to a big "I don't know for sure." :p

thekillman
October 23rd, 2008, 01:20 AM
TPTB have to prove themselves capable. so they would surely cast only the best fitting

Delynn
November 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
What news, if any, StoyBoy?