This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ships design

Hey, were all talking about Destiny and Gateship 1 but what do you think the ships will look like some designs would be nice to see ya know screen pictures?
    C. Edmund

Well considering this gate where built whille the Ancients where still Alterans I would hazzerd a guess that it may not look like anything we have seen so far, but it may be kinda like the city ship that the Ancients escaped the Ori in, at the begging of SG The Ark of Truth!
    A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

I agree, I just watched AoT the other night and saw the ship at the beginning of the film that the ancients used, maybe they will be using that design in SGU? that would help tie some things together with SG-1
      Gator

You're not the usual delivery boy..

"I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"

Comment

I agree we will see a much lower level of technology then we are used to but will still be more advanced then other races and we'll see some new designs probably.

Comment

welll hopefully the interior will be jut as beautiful as atlantis.
          I supose the crew will still require the ancient gene to operate the technology (asuming they can operate it att all).

Comment

I'm hoping it's more utilitarian, it was built to do a job, and i'm assuming it was at least in part designed to do that job on autopilot, so i doubt it would be entirely built for comfort. Partly, but not entirely.

It would be nice to see how the rest of lantian society got by. So far all we seem to have seen is high society (scientists, leaders and so on). I want to see the grunt at work, the conditions and so on. one of the characters could find a journal on board the ship and periodically read entries.

seeing stargates made would be cool too...
            they would need to be manufactured on board from locally acquired materials. allowing a constantly changing design from galaxy to galaxy?

Comment

Originally posted by Boon View Post
              I'm hoping it's more utilitarian, it was built to do a job, and i'm assuming it was at least in part designed to do that job on autopilot, so i doubt it would be entirely built for comfort. Partly, but not entirely.

It would be nice to see how the rest of lantian society got by. So far all we seem to have seen is high society (scientists, leaders and so on). I want to see the grunt at work, the conditions and so on. one of the characters could find a journal on board the ship and periodically read entries.

seeing stargates made would be cool too...
              they would need to be manufactured on board from locally acquired materials. allowing a constantly changing design from galaxy to galaxy?
              Most likely in a society as advanced as that of the Lanteans, most "grunt" work would be taken care of by machines. If the society was truly advanced it's quite possible that there were no grunts, if the society truly had an efficient education system. Who knows, maybe they just uploaded info into the brains of their students like that machine that used to upload the Lantean data base into O'Neil's brain. Or maybe the "grunts" were "deported" to other planets explaining where all the rest of the humans in the SGverse who aren't Lantean come from.

I kind of assumed the ship was going to be like an Aurora-class warship like the Aurora or the Orion.

I didn't care much for the city-ship in Ark of Truth.

Spoiler:

Another possibility is the Lost Tribe starship used in the last episode of SGA, "First Contact". The ship had an uncanny resemblance to a puddle jumper.

I realize it probably makes more sense to use a special type of starship specifically designed for deploying stargates then it does to use to use a warship though.

I imagine the ship would need
              • basic internal and external defenses
              • a bay to manufacture stargates and launch them
              • a facility to manufacture, repair, and store a compliment of AI's independent of the ship design. They would exist for basic ship maintenance. Something like replicators or drones or something similar. If not AI's then a cryostorage room for using actual humans. Maybe before the incident with the Asurans, replicators might have been an integral part of Lantean society; doing grunt work. Maybe they could say it was only when they tried to turn the replicators into a weapon that they became lethal.
              • Maybe an automated ships like a puddle jumper used to deploy stargates.
              • a Puddle jumper bay would be cool too, but would they be necessary if the ship is automated? Maybe the ship would instead have a manufacturing facility that would be able to manufacture a variety of sub-FTL ships stored in the ships database. So there wouldn't be a puddle jumper because obviously a ship with no humans doesn't need one, but they could make a puddle jumper if necessary. This reinforces the need for AIs.

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
              -Dow ad

Comment

My guess is, it will probably have alot of hallways.

Comment

I think for the show to be really successful, the ship needs to have an extremely radical design like the Lantean city-ships or Doctor Who's Tardis. It would be great to see something that stands out from traditional design. Maybe a town-ship? j/k One cool design I can think of, but not necessarily radical, is the Nebuchadnezzar from The Matrix Trilogy.

One thing that would be great for SGU in general is to see Dyson Spheres and Dyson trees. I've only seen a Dyson Sphere once in Star Trek The Next Generation and I saw a Dyson tree once in the movie The Fountain. I think these two types of structures (which aren't necessarily ships, but could be) would be great elements to add to SGU.
                  Last edited by TheHumanElement; 06 October 2008, 04:21 AM.

The Human Element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future.
                  -Dow ad

Comment

Im pretty sure itll look like the AoT ship, its from the heigth of Alteran civilization its gonna look old school like vis uban or the groundhog day ep or the dakara control room.

Comment

yeah the front, maybe it was like an add on for hyperspace

sigpic
                      Sig made by squirrely1
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
                      *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

it does look like a puddle jumper (look at the very front). Maybe the pace is like an add on or somthing for hyperspace

sigpic
                        Sig made by squirrely1

Comment

it kindof does

sigpic
                          Sig made by squirrely1

Comment

I thought that there were two ships - the first is manufacturing & seeding stargates all over the unexplored universe & the second follows up to see the results (although I could be wrong)?

It would be awesome to see how Stargates are made (& where the hell are they gonna get the naqaudah required to build the bloody things? I don't know how much naqaduag is takes to build a Stargate, but I assume it would be alot ), as well as learn a bit more about these new networks of Stargates with each new galaxy they go to.

The ship probably wont be as advanced as Atlantis or stuff of Lantean design (Ancient tech in Pegasus seems to be 'their latest stuff' according to ), although it would still be pretty advanced (we are taking about the oldest, most advanced/powerful race to inhabit the stars (that we know of) here! ).

Considering it was supposedly launched at the height of their civilization & it's supposed to be way older than even Atlantis, it will be interesting to see what designs, concepts & other nifty Ancienty stuff they come up with.

Comment

I'm thinking that it'll be like the AoT city ship.
                              http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X