New users, READ THIS THREAD. NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New users, READ THIS THREAD. NOW!

Spoilers are a no-no here on Gateworld. Do not post spoilers, it's a breach of the rules.

What constitutes a spoiler? Anything that has yet to air. I believe this is the current definition, but it might actually be harsher.

Why no spoilers? Some people do not read spoilers and episode summaries ahead of time. They want to be surprised and not go into episodes knowing what will happen.

New (and sometimes older) users seem incapable of keeping up with this (or just ignorant). What it means is that whenever you post a thread, make sure the thread title is not a spoiler. If you're posting in an already existing thread, spoiler-tag the necessary parts of your posts.

For example, do not write thread titles like this one:
    "OMG! In 'Slashgate X-treme', Daniel and Teal'c finally kiss!" (if there were indeed such an episode and such an event were to take place in it)

A non-spoilery version would be "OMG! In 'Slashgate X-treme', there'll be a special long-awaited event!" or something like that.

In a post, it'd look something like this:
    "OMG, I totally squeed out loud when I read that
    Spoiler:
    Daniel and Teal'c are going to kiss
    in 'Slashgate X-treme'!"

Make sure to make it clear what episode(s) you will be spoiling in your thread or post. For example:
    "OMG! The thing with the thing! (spoilers up to Slashgate X-treme)"
    "OMG! The aliens! (spoilers for the identity of the new race)"
    (thread titles)

Simply writing "SPOILERS!!!" tells us nothing.

Also, when posting new threads, make sure there aren't already threads discussing it. There are so man threads and posts on the identity of the new race when this thread already exists:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=59607

You are not original. If it's something big, chances are, someone will most probably have already posted a thread on the subject. It only takes a few seconds to peruse at least the 1st page of a forum section to see if there's already a thread for what you wish to post about.

Learn to abide by these rules, please, for the benefit of us all. All you're doing by posting threads and posts that break the rules is earning yourself infractions, wasting moderator time (since only they can change thread titles and merge threads; if what your thread covers already has a thread covering it, then the two will be merged, thus, your threads shouldn't have been created in the first place!), spoiling the show for innocent bystanders and cluttering up the forum with one jillion threads on the same subject.

The revelation that the new race are
    Spoiler:
    the Asgard
    seems to have made people abandon reason, logic and common decency and go on a spoilerfest. Don't do this, it benefits no one.
    Last edited by FallenAngelII; 28 September 2008, 06:10 PM.

I have to agree with this. It would be difficult for someone not to know the big spoiler for Lost Tribe even if they avoid spoilers like the plague thanks to everyone ruining it. A couple of clicks and you can put your post in spoiler tags and not ruin it for everyone who wants it to be a surprise. People need to show a bit of consideration towards others.

I'm not 100% sure of the exact definition of a spoiler on gateworld, but I'm pretty sure anything from Atlantis Season 5 at least has to be in spoiler tags.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
      I'm not 100% sure of the exact definition of a spoiler on gateworld, but I'm pretty sure anything from Atlantis Season 5 at least has to be in spoiler tags.
      The old definition was:
      Anything that is not yet in syndication (at least from last season) must be spoiler-tagged and have thread titles be spoiler free, unless you're in the episode specific section for that specific episode or an episode which came after it.

In other words, posting spoilers about "The Queen" would be OK in the "The Queen"-section and any section which came after it, but not in any that came before it or in the "Season Five"-section.

AFAIK, this has changed to "Anything that hasn't aired yet, as long as you're in the S5 section", at the very least, so as long as you keep it inside of this section, then you're fine as long as it's only spoilers for episodes that have already aired.

Comment

if i can add to it....If the topic is a 'big' one, like the new race, or a big named guest star or other huge plot twist.....look for an exisitng thread. Our goal is not to have 15 different threads, all about the same thing, all started by different people. For the most part, one thread will suffice.

Look before you hit that 'new thread' button. It'll save you the aggravation of it being merged and save US the aggravation of merging all those similar threads into one neat little package
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I wish this were considered a no-no too.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            if i can add to it....If the topic is a 'big' one, like the new race, or a big named guest star or other huge plot twist.....look for an exisitng thread. Our goal is not to have 15 different threads, all about the same thing, all started by different people. For the most part, one thread will suffice.

Look before you hit that 'new thread' button. It'll save you the aggravation of it being merged and save US the aggravation of merging all those similar threads into one neat little package
            Actually, I address this in the final part of the opening post . I'll edit it slightly to be more clear.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Do not troll. Enjoy your possible infraction.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              I'll second that just 'cause it made me laugh. And because I agree.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                I'll second that just 'cause it made me laugh. And because I agree.
                Why? I can't count the number of times I've been spoiled this weekend. If I hadn't chosen to spoil it for myself see the new race video myself I would have been mad as hell to see the answer 2 minutes later in the general discussion thread without spoilers or in twenty other threads, some with the title BEING the spoiler.

You just had to view the front page of the forums to see it and get spoiled, and that wreaks of lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                  Why? I can't count the number of times I've been spoiled this weekend. If I hadn't chosen to spoil it for myself see the new race video myself I would have been mad as hell to see the answer 2 minutes later in the general discussion thread without spoilers or in twenty other threads, some with the title BEING the spoiler.

You just had to view the front page of the forums to see it and get spoiled, and that wreaks of lame.
                  It's....never mind. That's not what I was talking about.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with most everything FAII said, but for the love of god, stop using the Bold.

Seriously.
                    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

So FAII, wat gave you the right to postthis in the Stargate Atlantis Season 5 forum when it is aready addressed in the Forum Rules section?
                      Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                        So FAII, wat gave you the right to postthis in the Stargate Atlantis Season 5 forum when it is aready addressed in the Forum Rules section?
                        I think it particularly applies here because of a certain relevation. I'm seriously POed because I chose not to watch the spoiler clip, but my attempts to stay a little bit spoiler-free were to no avail as it was written everywhere in this section
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post

I think he is speaking to the fact that there is already a thread about proper posting of spoilers, and duplicate threads, which he just violated.
                          You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

its almost as bad as when bioshock came out and all the tards posting

endgame spoilers
                            Spoiler:
                            atlas is fontaine!!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                              Because it's obvious a large chunk of the user base hasn't actually read the rules. Seeing as how Skydiver posted in this thread and didn't admonish its existence, I think the mods agree on the necessity of this thread being posted.

I'ts obvious the users who spoiled the identity of the *bananas* hadn't read the forum rules or the thread which mentions spoilers (but not indepth, BTW). The chances of them finding it on their own are slim to none (and I didn't feel like manually guessing which ones needed instruction and PM:ing them).

When the rules are being broken literally once every 5 minutes (seriously, last night, each time I refreshed, a new thread on the subject had been posted), reposting relevant ones for reminder is in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X