This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm dissapointed in the fans...

All you people declaring Universe an abomination remind me of how the Trekkies declared Enterprise an abomination. That show was cancelled after four years, and guess what? Televised Star Trek ended with Enterprise's final episode. I hope we don't have a repeat of that with Stargate.

Here here...I love Stargate and will always watch no matter what
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

TBH if I remember rightly there wasnt a problem with Enterprise untill after actual material came out.

This is more on the JJ Abrhams scale, one little tid bit is released early on and everyone goes into uproar when these sort of conversations of "Stargate Univerise am fail letz boycot nowz!!!" shouldnt be happening untill Feb(ish) when the actual cast list is released and later again when footage is released.

Rambling on about a couple of lines of character descriptions which dont sound at all like an even slightly fleshed out charcter is a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
        All you people declaring Universe an abomination remind me of how the Trekkies declared Enterprise an abomination. That show was cancelled after four years, and guess what? Televised Star Trek ended with Enterprise's final episode. I hope we don't have a repeat of that with Stargate.
        So, you're required to watch something that has consistently sucked for 4 years? Sticking through a bad season or story arc here and there is great, but if Universe isn't successful it will be because of the show, not because of the fans. It is interesting that you mentioned Enterprise though, which was largely a steaming pile of crap until the last season when they let Manny Coto start calling the shots. It's too bad it got canned after it just started to get back on its feet.

I don't think we, as fans, have any responsibility other than to watch the first few episodes. If the premise of the show does turn off a lot of fans, that isn't the fault of the fans. Stargate is something we watch to be entertained, it isn't a sacred duty or responsibility. If Universe ends up being a poorly executed space soap, I don't think we should keep watching.

Comment

It will help if Universe isn't quite as, um, "not especially good" (?) as Enterprise was.

Comment

Here Here! Good point! And good examples! And look how Enterprise turned out, despite there being only four years, there was some awesome stuff in there.

Comment

All you people declaring Universe an abomination remind me of how the Trekkies declared Enterprise an abomination. That show was cancelled after four years, and guess what?
              It was canceled after FOUR YEARS and you're pissing and moaning as if some grand conspiracy was responsible for its demise? Maybe it just ran out of steam. Sure, if it had been canned before its first season was over then maybe you'd have a leg to stand on, but four years is a decent run for a show. It implies that whatever the naysayers were saying, folks still cared enough to watch... and then they didn't.

Why is it that no one is ever willing to admit the possibility that shows might get canceled because they're just plain crappy? Why is it always the "stupid fans" who refused to watch because of such-and-such or the "stupid network" for not realizing what a great thing it had and/or failing to advertise it properly? Or the "stupid studio" for wanting to move on to the next big thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                I'm not going to watch a Stargate production, just because it's Stargate. However, I will give Universe a try. I'll watch the first episode at least.

Originally posted by starburst View Post
                TBH if I remember rightly there wasnt a problem with Enterprise untill after actual material came out.
                Fans were moaning as soon as they found out it wasn't going to be foundation of the Federation nor Romulan War. How dare Rick Berman not meet preconcieved expectations of uberTrekkies!

This is more on the JJ Abrhams scale, one little tid bit is released early on and everyone goes into uproar when these sort of conversations of "Stargate Univerise am fail letz boycot nowz!!!"
                Actually, Trekkies are otimistic about the new movie. The only people against it are those who dislike prequels and recasting.

shouldnt be happening untill Feb(ish) when the actual cast list is released and later again when footage is released.
                Alas, it's happening now.

Rambling on about a couple of lines of character descriptions which dont sound at all like an even slightly fleshed out charcter is a bit silly.
                My point exactly!

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                So, you're required to watch something that has consistently sucked for 4 years?
                No. It is recommended to stop ruining the fun for everyone else. Instead, find something else to do. Watch another show, read a book, go outside, build something, anything... Just stop trying to force your hatred for the show onto everyone else. I'm speaking about people in general, of coarse, not you in paticular. Personally, I enjoyed the show except for a few lame episodes in Season 2 and a few fanboy episodes in Season 4.

Sticking through a bad season or story arc here and there is great
                I watch the good episodes and pass on the lame ones.

if Universe isn't successful it will be because of the show, not because of the fans.
                Agreed, but the fans do have some influence and do make up a large part of the audience.

It is interesting that you mentioned Enterprise though, which was largely a steaming pile of crap until the last season when they let Manny Coto start calling the shots. It's too bad it got canned after it just started to get back on its feet.
                I happened to like the first two seasons. Episodic, which is what I prefer. It wasn't the best TV ever, but it was entertaining enough. The Xindi saga was awesome. That was the show's best year. Manny Coto's Season 4 was OK, but there were too many fanboy episodes. Klingon foreheads, Orion slave girls, the mirror universe without a crossover? Ugh. Only the uberTrekkies would like such fanboy nonsense. No offense intended. I was enjoying Season 4 until we got the Fanboyprise in the final episodes.

I don't think we, as fans, have any responsibility other than to watch the first few episodes.
                All I ask is that people stop whining and moaning about something they've never seen and let the people who want to see it have fun discussions without the whiners screaming to high heavens.

If the premise of the show does turn off a lot of fans, that isn't the fault of the fans. If Universe ends up being a poorly executed space soap, I don't think we should keep watching.
                Agreed.

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                Here Here! Good point! And good examples! And look how Enterprise turned out, despite there being only four years, there was some awesome stuff in there.
                Indeed and agreed.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                It was canceled after FOUR YEARS and you're pissing and moaning as if some grand conspiracy was responsible for its demise?
                Did I ever mention a grand conspiracy? No. I am, however, upset that the fans were happy it was cancelled and then shocked when that ment no more Star Trek.

Maybe it just ran out of steam.
                The show didn't, but the franchise did. The studio also had new executives who just didn't care.

Sure, if it had been canned before its first season was over then maybe you'd have a leg to stand on, but four years is a decent run for a show. It implies that whatever the naysayers were saying, folks still cared enough to watch... and then they didn't.
                There's more to it than that. Network/studio politics plus franchise burnout are the main reasons for cancellation.

Why is it that no one is ever willing to admit the possibility that shows might get canceled because they're just plain crappy?
                I like Enterprise. If I thought it was crap, I wouldn't have watched. Why admit something is crap when I don't think it is?

Why is it always the "stupid fans" who refused to watch because of such-and-such or the "stupid network" for not realizing what a great thing it had and/or failing to advertise it properly?
                I don't blame the fans. I just hate fan-whining. As for networks, it's a known fact that network executives are cancel-happy for any number of reasons. It varies, but the reasons are often unreasonable.

Or the "stupid studio" for wanting to move on to the next big thing?
                This doesn't bother me. It's reasonable for the studio to get bored with something and want to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                  same here... STARGATE RULES!!! NOW AND 4EVER!!!

Comment

If some people don't like the premise, it's their opinion and they're just as entitled to express it as you are.

One could argue that those that are condemning it out of hand are just as 'wrong' as those that believe it's going to be wonderful and a hit, based on the same tiny bits of information.

One big rule we have here is to respect others. And taking them to task for not holding the opinion you think they should have is not respect.

and i gotta tell you....this forum has 38,000 members...each ratings point = a portion of a MILLION viewers. so even if every single person on this forum - ignoring that a good percentage of this forum are not from the US, thus don't count in the ratings - we couldn't even bring up - or push down - the ratings by a FRACTION of a ratings point.

So, how about instead of wasting your anger and effort being angry at people for not having and expressing the opinion you feel is the 'right' one, you simply concern yourself with taking care of yourself.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X