This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Atlantis city ships

as far as i know, there has been no mention anywhere in any of the series as to why or when the Ancients built the other "Atlantis" seen in the SGA episode "The Tower". here is a theory, during their millions of years in the MW galaxy, but before leaving for Pegasus, the Ancients built two Atlantis type city ships. One of them residing here on Earth in Antartica, the second one residing at Proclarush Taonas.

when arriving in Pegasus, one landed on the planet seen in Rising. the other eventually landed on the planet seen in The Tower.

any thoughts????
    if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

I always thought the writers created the city in "The Tower" because they needed her to tell their story- I don't think they have more of an answer than you do. The city was a bit of a plot hole in my opinion; a second Atlantis should have been a major discoverey, but because the writers didn't put a proper explanation in the episode (due to time limits?) they decided not to pay much attention to her, which is a bit lame. I certainly don't think "The Tower" was a bad episode, because in my opinion, none of Atlantis' episodes are bad , but they could have made much more of the story. It's a wasted opportunity, really.
    "The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!"

Comment

Originally posted by sldghamr View Post
      as far as i know, there has been no mention anywhere in any of the series as to why or when the Ancients built the other "Atlantis" seen in the SGA episode "The Tower". here is a theory, during their millions of years in the MW galaxy, but before leaving for Pegasus, the Ancients built two Atlantis type city ships. One of them residing here on Earth in Antartica, the second one residing at Proclarush Taonas.

when arriving in Pegasus, one landed on the planet seen in Rising. the other eventually landed on the planet seen in The Tower.

any thoughts????
      Interesting theory, but I stick for the "the writers are 2 lazy to make a history for to much things and let as getting wild imaginations on the forum and maybe inspire from it" theory.
      The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
      Spoiler:
      Originally posted by Karhedron
      I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

It's certainly possible that the "Tower" cityship was originally at Taonas, but given that the Ancients spread across the entire Pegasus galaxy, and lived there for countless generations before the Wraith war, there were probably dozens, if not hundreds, of cityships... most of which were probably destroyed or lost during the war. While the "Tower" cityship might be from Taonas, it might well have been from another Milky Way planet, or built in Pegasus after the Ancients moved to Pegasus.
        Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

i only bring it up this way cuz we have only seen two Atlantis type cities and only two outposts in MW galaxy.

Comment

well ithought tht the writers would actually use the idea of the tower and introduce another city but in space, given the possibility tht there were more than just atlantis and the tower.
            The team could discover a battle damage city similar to atlantis offermore information to new races or tech or anything tht would seem really interesting to view on tv. Also thought it could of bn used as a docking bay for the aurora ships, no need to land the ship when you dock with the city and transport troops from te galaxy to space citites with there own gate or transporter - like ds9 but in a episode and not a series.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie2020 View Post
              well ithought tht the writers would actually use the idea of the tower and introduce another city but in space, given the possibility tht there were more than just atlantis and the tower.
              The team could discover a battle damage city similar to atlantis offermore information to new races or tech or anything tht would seem really interesting to view on tv. Also thought it could of bn used as a docking bay for the aurora ships, no need to land the ship when you dock with the city and transport troops from te galaxy to space citites with there own gate or transporter - like ds9 but in a episode and not a series.
              having a atlantis city in space could be viewed as a DS9 knock off. having one or two Atlantis style cities in each quadrant of the galaxy as a way point for ships??

Comment

thts y i mentioned ds9, but like most kool things of discovery in atlantis they tend to blow it up, wraith cruiser, satalite, ion canon - solar system and ancient warships. so it could of bn used for a couple of episodes before it would of bn destroyed or a selfdestruct in a possible episode tht will never get made cos of the cancellation

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                  It's certainly possible that the "Tower" cityship was originally at Taonas, but given that the Ancients spread across the entire Pegasus galaxy, and lived there for countless generations before the Wraith war, there were probably dozens, if not hundreds, of cityships... most of which were probably destroyed or lost during the war. While the "Tower" cityship might be from Taonas, it might well have been from another Milky Way planet, or built in Pegasus after the Ancients moved to Pegasus.
                  I think you're right in that they likely built many city ships and I'd imagine not all were placed on an ocean that they could sink into.
                  If the Wraith had hundreds if not thousands of ships with Cruisers and Hives at the height if their power then they could probably take city ships out without to much bother being that they'd heavily outnumber the Ancients.
                  There may still be some other city ships out there lost in the galaxy that the SGA team just hasn't found yet.
                  I guess anything's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                    I think you're right in that they likely built many city ships and I'd imagine not all were placed on an ocean that they could sink into.
                    If the Wraith had hundreds if not thousands of ships with Cruisers and Hives at the height if their power then they could probably take city ships out without to much bother being that they'd heavily outnumber the Ancients.
                    There may still be some other city ships out there lost in the galaxy that the SGA team just hasn't found yet.
                    I guess anything's possible.
                    Or SG-1...For remember, Atlantis was in the Milky Way before the Pegasus. There is no saying how many they built in the Milky Way before heading to the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                      Technically, the cityship of "The Tower" would be called Taonas if it is indeed the one that took off from Proclarush. When O'Neill points out Atlantis on Earth, he says "Terra, Atlantus" (not a miss-spelling, the US, btw lol). Terra refers to the world, Atlantus to Atlantis. So Proclarush Taonas means the world is called Proclarush, and the cityship is Taonas.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by Mirjam View Post
                        I always thought the writers created the city in "The Tower" because they needed her to tell their story- I don't think they have more of an answer than you do. The city was a bit of a plot hole in my opinion; a second Atlantis should have been a major discoverey, but because the writers didn't put a proper explanation in the episode (due to time limits?) they decided not to pay much attention to her, which is a bit lame. I certainly don't think "The Tower" was a bad episode, because in my opinion, none of Atlantis' episodes are bad , but they could have made much more of the story. It's a wasted opportunity, really.
                        Originally posted by Invictus View Post
                        Interesting theory, but I stick for the "the writers are 2 lazy to make a history for to much things and let as getting wild imaginations on the forum and maybe inspire from it" theory.
                        I think you're both right, to some extent, plus the very fact using the redressed Atlantis sets in The Tower saved a lot on the ol' budget. Problem is they've now made it part of the mythology and it's got us scurrying about trying to explain it.

Originally posted by sldghamr View Post
                        i only bring it up this way cuz we have only seen two Atlantis type cities and only two outposts in MW galaxy.
                        Originally posted by blackcat124gt View Post
                        Or SG-1...For remember, Atlantis was in the Milky Way before the Pegasus.
                        True, there could have been many city-ships, but the legends gleaned from the Ancient writings in the Milky Way tell only of a single "Lost" city. Having several of them tends to water down the legend.
                        Originally posted by blackcat124gt View Post
                        There is no saying how many they built in the Milky Way before heading to the Pegasus Galaxy.
                        True. The hologram on Procralush Taonas first shows a 3D image of the galaxy with many worlds, possibly thousands. Daniel says "Looks like every planet the Ancients ever colonized is indicated here." Now, does that mean there were many city-ships? Well maybe. But then look at Vis Uban. (s.7 "Fallen"). It was supposed to be the latest and greatest of the Ancients' cities, and was still being built when the plague struck 5 - 10 million years ago. And yet all we see of it are stone ruins, no evidence of a city-ship. What this all means I don't know, other than maybe not all Ancient cities were city-ships.

If we want to keep the legend of the Lost City "pure", I supposed it could be said that the city in The Tower was built in Pegasus, thus keeping it out of the MW mythology altogether.

Or, is there any possibility that the Asurans built the Tower city? Just a thought.
                        Last edited by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper; 19 October 2008, 09:53 AM.
                        My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

The same reason you build 2 of anything TO RACE THEM!

Comment

Originally posted by Avalonis View Post
                            The same reason you build 2 of anything TO RACE THEM!
                            sssooo, race the 1/4 light year???

first one to Abydos and back wins??

or how about who can fly closest to a Black Hole without getting drawn in??

who can fly closest to a Star without shields failing??

Comment

My guess is one of colonies wanted a Atlantis to help protect them and to do it with style.
                              Wouldn't the copy of Atlantis most likely have a interglactic hyperdrive? I know its probably in not so good condition but still they (Wraith) could backward engineer one.

Comment

Working...
                              X