This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Can You Stay Interested???

Though i can understand the curiosity to a stargate spin off, how can anyone possible take this show seriously?? I have watched three episodes, hoping to find some iota of coolness or anything to keep me wanting more, but i have been betrayed in almost every point. The characters are dimensionless, the lines are cheesy, the aliens are completely without depth and exaggerated as 'the ever really really evil bad guy', Dr. Mckay is the moron who dissed the wise Dr. Carter in Stargate and is a total dweeb at his job, how can we trust that loser to be a leader in a time of crisis?! the theme song is completely unhummable (belive me, i tried) and otherwise, i'll be surprised if the show make it to season four.

You atlantis lovers out there may be angered by my post. but half a year of atlantis, i havent seen the thrill. you may say don't watch it, and i will from this momet agree wholeheartedly.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I love the show. I think there are some problems with a few of the characters lacking some depth but I've only seen improvement and hope that it continues to improve. As for McKay, I think he's brilliant. And his character has grown by leaps and bounds since the pilot. The Wraith can be a bit over the top but I've found most sci-fi villians to be so and so I don't usually dwell much on it. I find the stories and the writing to be top notch though, as well as the visual effects, and the strong characters more than make up for the weak ones for me.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

The answer to your question should be obvious: your opinion about the show is just that- an opinion, and one that a majority of Atlantis fans obviously don't share.

You see the show as vapid and meaningless, whereas we (or I, anyway) manage to find meaning and depth to the stories and the characters.

You think the aliens are stupid, but I say, "And the ones on SG-1 are oh so much better??"

You can't get over McKay's treatment of Sam, whereas some people (such as myself) think that he's a lot of fun. Personally, I think his arrogance is one of his best traits. It helps make him stand out.

Comment

Perosnally I like McKay. Some of the time. When Anubis was slowly destroying the Stargate. (I forget the episode name) McKay watches as Anubis himself appears and pokes fun of him afterwards. McKay is sort of the sadistic comic reilef in the show, while Shepard is the O'Neill of it, Beckett is the Frasier and Weir is the Hammond.

I also like Sheppard. If you watched the pilot you hear that he knows NOTHING of the Stargate, so I think its cool they're taking this guy will no idea of wahts out there and put him on.

The Cons: The show does run dry from time to time. The lines are indeed cheesy at most McKay's lines included. The Wraith can never die, almost anyway, and even though they conquered half the galaxy like a intergalatic version of Ghengis Khan they are getting their asses kicked by their food.

Comment

Obviously you've not seen the two new episodes of the second half of the season.

All of the characters get their fair share of development, with much more depth being added to the backstory of Atlantis and more knowlege about the Wraith themselves. (it's no spoiler, it was bound to happen some time)
          Enter my game site...

Comment

Well, I think you are a little behind in the SG-1 fandom calling Sam 'Dr. Carter' when she is actually now 'Lieutenant Colonel Carter'.

McKay is a well written character. I love him. He's the best thing about the show. He's mainly arrogent because he's well... scared.

You've only seen three episodes. Remember the first three episodes of Stargate SG-1? They were exactly the greatest.

But I honestly think that this show has been great from the start, and it just keeps on getting better, and better.

And if you have a problem with the show, just stop watching it and continue on with Stargate SG-1.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
            Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Such was no doubt the opinion of many in 1997, when all anyone had seen of SG-1 was this collection of gems:

"Children of the Gods"
              "The Enemy Within"
              "Emancipation"
              "The Broca Divide"
              "The First Commandment"
              "Cold Lazarus"
              "The Nox"
              "Brief Candle"
              "Thor's Chariot"

That's it. That's where Atlantis is in its run so far. There was a nice premiere, a couple of good ones, but all in all not much to write home about. I think the first truly excellent episode was "The Torment of Tantalus," which is next on the list.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I debated posting to this thread as I disagree mostly with your opinion (Mckay rules Sam Sucks) but I must agree with a couple of your points - Ford is a poorly conceived character that should not be on the team and the Wraith are somewhat lame (heh. Giant Smurf Blue. ) ....but I still have hope for them.....what they need is to conceive a good personality for the wraith (dumb name tho). Teyla grows on me in her team role -but as a leader? Meh.

And the theme song ROCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by roswellgray
                  I debated posting to this thread as I disagree mostly with your opinion (Mckay rules Sam Sucks) but I must agree with a couple of your points - Ford is a poorly conceived character that should not be on the team and the Wraith are somewhat lame (heh. Giant Smurf Blue. ) ....but I still have hope for them.....what they need is to conceive a good personality for the wraith (dumb name tho). Teyla grows on me in her team role -but as a leader? Meh.

And the theme song ROCKS!
                  Ford hasn't gotten much character development, yes. But it's only about half-way through the first season. In SG-1 it took a while before Teal'c got very far.

But about the Wraith...

Wraith:
                  1 a : the exact likeness of a living person seen usually just before death as an apparition b : GHOST, SPECTER
                  2 : an insubstantial form or semblance : SHADOW
                  3 : a barely visible gaseous or vaporous column

Seeing as that the Wraith can project 'shadows' to decieve people and what-not, I think the name is very fitting.

The Wraith are evil, and just as good as the Goa'uld. They're arrogent, and have yet to take a clue that they're in trouble. Just like the Goa'uld were. They don't think that the Atlantis crew is a big threat yet, but they're wrong.

Plus, we really haven't seen much of the Wraith yet.

Comment

As for the Wraith being "smurf blue", anyone who's seen Steve would know that they're more grayish-blue.
                    Anyone who's seen "The Defiant One" would know that the Wraith have different pigmentations, too. (I debated this on another thread, let's not get into that here)

As reference to Darren's post, Atlantis got its "Torment of Tantalus" equivalent with "The Eye".

As for the first ten episodes... Give them a break. They've only just STARTED to set up story arcs, characters, and enemies. It took a LOT of time before Daniel Jackson migrated from the quirky character we saw in the movie (reflected in the first season of SG-1) into the mystical semi-quirky-yet-invaluable character he is now. Same for Hammond, Carter and Teal'c.

I also can honestly say that you can't get the drift of ANY show by watching three episodes of it. Try it on: Andromeda, Star Trek (ANY series), Battlestar Galactica, SG-1, V, TekWar... You get my point, and that's just for Sci Fi series.
                    Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA

I have watched three episodes,

but half a year of atlantis, i havent seen the thrill.
                      Well, which is it, have you watched half a year's worth of it, or have you watched three episodes?

I'm guessing that the answer is the 3 episodes. In that case, just incidentally, which ones did you see? You may not have seen the good ones...

Comment

Originally posted by IdiotBoy
                        Well, which is it, have you watched half a year's worth of it, or have you watched three episodes?

I'm guessing that the answer is the 3 episodes. In that case, just incidentally, which ones did you see? You may not have seen the good ones...
                        Chances are, if they're either 38-Minutes, Children's End, Poisoning The Well, or Home, Osiris-RA has just seen three of the most isolated episodes of the series (although Home had a good crossover).
                        Enter my game site...

Comment

I don't think that Atlantis has had a bad episode yet. They've all been great and they just keep on getting better and better.

Comment

The THEME SONG RULES!!! I love it!
                            When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
                            I miss you.
                            Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

Oh yeah. I listened closely to the theme song tonight. It's easy to hum, once you get the rhythm of it. I have trouble because it's just enough like the SG-1 theme (at least initially) that I get a bit confused, but for more musically-inclined people, it's probably a snap. There's a part with chanting. That HAS to be easy to hum.

Comment

Working...
                              X