The Shield...(spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shield...(spoilers)

is it dead now????? zelenka said they were putting to much stress on the emitters and they did eventually cave, so...is the shield dead or what??
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

They fried which pretty much means the circuits probably overloaded. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. We can fix a lot of stuff in Atlantis but we can't understand it enough to build ourselves.

Comment

Everything's always fixed by the next episode.

Comment

We don't actually know if they were fried yet, just that there was an explosion. Maybe Zelenka lowered the shield behind the gate and directed most of the blast out through the wall which is what we saw right at the end.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadil View Post
          is it dead now????? zelenka said they were putting to much stress on the emitters and they did eventually cave, so...is the shield dead or what??

Well since the ZMP is depleted....
          "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
            Well since the ZMP is depleted....
            Since when?

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
            Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
              Everything's always fixed by the next episode.
              It would be nice to see the multistory hole that was made in another episode.

Comment

Emitters would overload before the ZPM was anywhere close to being drained. They didn't turn off power to the entire city they were drawing all available output to the shield, including some that put it over the safe operating level.

Fixed by next ep.

Comment

At least we know the shield can pretty much withstand several hundred nukes simultaneously!

Comment

I am a little concerned about the ZPM power loss, but on second thought I doubt it will have any dramatic effect.

Is it possible that Zelenka may have extended another shield around himself and Sheppard? Probably not... The blast doors is the best theory I've heard so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadji View Post
                      Is it possible that Zelenka may have extended another shield around himself and Sheppard?
                      I thought that too, but couldnt they have just ran up to the jumper bay and then tried to get as far as they could. Remember the blast was already reduced so the jumper might have just been fired out of the roof rather than destroyed by the blast.

Comment

how is posible than atlantis shield was unable to contain the explotion?. with the size of the gate and a zpm to power it, it should had contain it easily. are you going to tell me than the most powerfull shield can do that?
                        Patito

Comment

Has any stopped to think that it wasnt the city shield emitters that fried, it was just the tower ones, after all the city has lots off them and they collasped it down to around the gate, thus putting more strain on the pair of them, rather than having it spread out over a large area, or maybe just maybe they used the actual gate emitters and transfered the city shield to them ones, and being smaller and not as good, they couldnt handle all that power to make the sheild and then maintain it for as long as they needed to.

Spoiler alert for the next episode My god i nearly wet myself the asgard are alive and with what seems to be healthy bodies to put, now if they can just use that dna template and download the consious of the asgard they have in the core on the oddesay, then hay presto we have asgard again, just not bad ones like these appear to be

Comment

The shield was doing something it wasn't designed for. It was designed to defend and entire city from attack. When they collapsed the shield to such a small area the blast was enough to damage the emitters. When you use something for something its not designed for it won't work as good. And also that blast was likely the most powerful blast the shield has ever felt and it was felt in a very small area. The shield did amazingly well. And as alot of people think. I believe Raddick dropped the shield and extended it over the control room when eminent failure was detected. The shield not having to CONTAIN something when it was designed to repel was able to defend the control room easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                              We don't actually know if they were fried yet, just that there was an explosion. Maybe Zelenka lowered the shield behind the gate and directed most of the blast out through the wall which is what we saw right at the end.
                              These are my exact thoughts. It would make sense.

My question is though: How exactly can a shield not absorb a blast that only took out the windows of the control room? The gate exploding, in it's entirety, would have destroyed Atlantis five times over had there been no shield. So obviously, the shield can handle an awful lot. Why could it not, then, retain just that tiny (relatively) burst of energy at the end that blew out the windows? It didn't take out the walls.

I'm just saying, that in relative terms to the massive explosion when the gate first exploded, it should have been able to handle that little blast at the end.
                              IMO of course. I'm not an expert on Ancient technology you see.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                              X