This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain reaction (4.15) disk thing

Maybourne: Now you know one of a hundred names I go by. (He goes to the fridge and pulls out a disk)

O'Neill: I see you're on that famous beer and mustard diet. How's that working out for you?

Maybourne offers him a beer.

No thanks.

Maybourne: if anyone tries to boot the computer up without this disk the whole thing fries.

is the disk thing possible?(ive looked on the 'net but got nothing)
    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

yeah but you would have to do it by modifying the computer. mabe making it so if you turn it on a charge will pass through the floppy(if it is there) then nothing will hapen but if you don't put it in and there is no brigde then you could have a mecanism that fries the computer.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
    M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
    geekcode

Comment

forget the "frying" part-is there a way that the computer does not start woith out the disk?
      MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
      I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

if you make it only start if the connection is briged. or if the os is on the floppy but that is kind of point less.
        geekcode

Comment

I have put some more thought into this latly and it occured to me that this would ultimatly be pointless, because even if you fry the computer all of the data is still going to be on the hard drive. Now an efective way of making sure no one will get you info(or live though tring) is to stick a block of C4 on the drive and use the methode of bridging a conetcion with the flopy that I mentioned before. or yopu could do what kevien rose from the screen savers did encase you hard drive in thermit(I think that was it) and when the FBI knocks on your door puss the big red button and burn you house down.(kevien rose didn't burn his house down he showed how to do this.)
          geekcode

Comment

Every computer has a set of start-up commands stored either in permanent memory (called ROM) or residing in the area of the hard disc known as the boot sector. These commands govern the start-up of the system (more accurately, they govern the start-up of the computer's operating system). It is possible to modify these start-up commands to make the computer behave differently during start-up. In the case of the "Chain-Reaction disk-thingy," the start-up commands could include lines to:

1. Detect the disk.
            2. If the disk is found, then the regular start-up sequence runs - the computer starts up normally.
            3. If the disk is not found, then run a set of commands that will destroy the data on the computer or cause an event that achieve the same result.

A computer programmer can program a computer to do anything. So with the right expertise and know-how, this could actually be done. Think of it as an ultra-secure passlock to the computer. No disk = no computer.

Comment

Working...
            X