PDA

View Full Version : A Fake Preview?

Aerilon
September 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ok, so there is a preview going around for the next episode: The Lost Tribe. Within that episode, we are shown that this 'new' race is in fact:The AsgardI don't want to believe that.

It just doesn't make sense. These guys are nothing like their 'counterparts'. They threatened to kill McKay and Jackson, they want to wipe out the Wraith (or strand them at least), and, upon Death, they don't mind blowing themselves up. It just doesn't shoutAsgardto me.

In addition, why would they wear suits in that build, if they are roughly half the size? They also carry hand weapons (which we've never seen these guys have any use for before). They're ships are more than capable of taking out Hive Ships, so their need to screw up hyper drive windows and stargates alike seems rather odd to me.

Anyone else think there is something dodgy about this?

PS: Has this 'preview' been confirmed?

The Prophet
September 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ok, so there is a preview going around for the next episode: The Lost Tribe. Within that episode, we are shown that this 'new' race is in fact:The AsgardI don't want to believe that.

It just doesn't make sense. These guys are nothing like their 'counterparts'. They thretened to kill McKay and Jackson, they want to wipe out the Wraith (or strand them at least), and, upon Death, they don't mind blowing themselves up. It just doesn't shoutAgsardto me.

In addition, why would they wear suits in that build, if they are roughly half the size? They also carry hand weapons (which we've never seen these guys have any use for before). They're ships are more than capable of taking out Hive Ships, so their need to screw up hyperdrive windows and stargates alike seems rather odd to me.

Well, seeing as the next episode is entitled "The Lost Tribe", is stands to reason that this race was separated from the others, probably long ago- developing differently- Emphasising technology for soldiers than technology for ships.

Also, with humans being one of the most abundant races in (two, perhaps three) galaxies- they probably designed the suits to appear like them in order to fool humans into thinking that perhaps they were humanoid, or just to strike fear into them- imagine confronting an enemy in a suit that shared a similar build to their actual size. It wouldn't be threatening at all.

SnakeByte
September 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM
well, seeing as the next episode is entitled "the lost tribe", is stands to reason that this race was separated from the others, probably long ago- developing differently- emphasising technology for soldiers than technology for ships.

Also, with humans being one of the most abundant races in (two, perhaps three) galaxies- they probably designed the suits to appear like them in order to fool humans into thinking that perhaps they were humanoid, or just to strike fear into them- imagine confronting an enemy in a suit that shared a similar build to their actual size. It wouldn't be threatening at all.

exactally~

quade_1
September 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
in this official teaser, there are scenes that match the one in question.
http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=701901

i think someone got their hands on the episode early and made that preview themselves. but check this thread for explanations http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=59585

Voxyn
September 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I don't know about confirmation of it's authenticity, but none of the points you mention are unreasonable for the <ALIENS!!!>.

It just doesn't make sense. These guys are nothing like their 'counterparts'. They threatened to kill McKay and Jackson, they want to wipe out the Wraith (or strand them at least), and, upon Death, they don't mind blowing themselves up. It just doesn't shoutAsgardto me.

In addition, why would they wear suits in that build, if they are roughly half the size? They also carry hand weapons (which we've never seen these guys have any use for before). They're ships are more than capable of taking out Hive Ships, so their need to screw up hyper drive windows and stargates alike seems rather odd to me.

I imagine that like most intelligent and self aware creatures they have differences of opinion. They branch into factions.
These <ALIENS!!!> are probably of the kind that felt that the normal <ALIENS!!!> that we have met before were wrong to be so passive unless directly attacked. These <ALIENS!!!> want to go out there and get things done in a different way.
They are obviously more warlike. They know that a threat or three to kill is going to help get the device operational.

About the suits:
They have recognised that their bodies are frail and unsuited to hard physical actions and have taken a step to fix the problem.
A nice big mechanical suit is wonderfully threatening and the weapons are necessary. You can't always be on a massive ship with super powerful weapons and shields, can you?
The self destruct is good for preserving secrecy.

The ships:
We have no indication of the capabilities of their ships.
All we saw is that it went through Atlantis' shields.
They might be few in number.
Who knows?

Celleye
September 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
It's probably the evil version of the Asgard, think Loki, Hel, etc. I find it to be the most awesome twist ever.

jds1982
September 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM
upon Death, they don't mind blowing themselves up.

Um, the normal Asgard didn't have any problems blowing themselves up before they died.

SG-Sam
September 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
actually, if you recall the last episode of SG-1 season 5 (the name of which escapes me right now but its the first episode that we see Anubis) they are trying to rescue an Asgard scientist who is doing genetic research on some dead Asgard who had crashed on that planet a long time ago and if you remember they are actually very human like in their appearance and much taller compared to the Asgard as we knew them. the only reason the Asgard looked like they did is because they stopped reproducing by conventional means and started to use clones merely passing on their stored consciousness from clone to clone.

with all that said, i don't think that this new race is the Asgard cause I feel like the Asgard of the Milky Way would of had some previous knowledge of them considering how old and smart they were, but it would be quite the twist if they were. I can't wait to see how this one plays out...

bobsuncorp
September 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I wonder if they are actually robots built by the aforementioned spoilerific people. This would explain why they look the way they do.

Blistna
September 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM

All right. Assuming the preview is real, then here are some things to think about.

We know the ancients would never enslave an entire galaxy, right? In fact, they would let an entire galaxy get enslaved because they believe so strongly that they should let our fates be our own fates. Clearly the Ori don't agree with that.

Now think about the Asgard. If there could be two different factions with the ancients, couldn't there be the same with the Asgard? We've actually never seen an Asgard use any physical weapon, only with ships. So, how did they do battle BEFORE those advanced ships? Maybe advanced battle suits to give them an edge?

And maybe these Asgard decided to come to this galaxy. Who knows? Maybe they were looking for advanced ancient technology, knowing that there are some left, and thats how they got what they did. Maybe they were working with Janus with this weapon? Who knows!

The point is, we don't know enough to tell if it's a fake or not. And it would be cool if we found the Asgard again...even if they aren't quite are friends.

Oh, also...maybe the suits are the answer to their race "dying". Maybe they choose to be locked up in those suits, while the Asgard we know didn't want to hide who they really were? Hmm...something to think about!

EDIT:

Well poo. It is confirmed. SciFi.com (http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/episodes/index.php) Look at the "Lost Tribe".

freyr's mother
September 27th, 2008, 12:57 PM
How can it be fake. You see and hear michael shanks.. you see an asgard and his suit. That kind of stuff is hard to do on your own, especially without the actor. Besides, we've seen entire epsidodes get leaked. Even AoT and Continuum were leaked.

The Prophet
September 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
How can it be fake. You see and hear michael shanks.. you see an asgard and his suit. That kind of stuff is hard to do on your own, especially without the actor. Besides, we've seen entire epsidodes get leaked. Even AoT and Continuum were leaked.

The Producers creating an alternate scene to the real one, and purposefully leaking it, to avoid any spoilers from having a huge impact. TV shows have been known to do this (Lost S4 had 3 endings to the final scene).

The6thRace
September 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
The Producers creating an alternate scene to the real one, and purposefully leaking it, to avoid any spoilers from having a huge impact. TV shows have been known to do this (Lost S4 had 3 endings to the final scene).

I said it before in another thread about this possibly being a farce, and that would be awesome, but extremely unlikely. If the producers did have the foresight to actually let loose this 'staged scene' to cover up the identity of the ones underneath the suits, then bravo. Well played.

unluckynumber11
September 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
at this point i hope it's them because they're the only ones that make sense that would be them (for the most part) and maybe we don't have to have another horrible deus ex machina to get ride of them, because we all know what happened to the last enemy that was introduced near the end of a series' life ;)

Insipid
September 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM
It's probably the evil version of the Asgard, think Loki, Hel, etc. I find it to be the most awesome twist ever.

We've already been introduced to the Asgaurd Loki. He's the one that made the Mini-Jack, so unlikely.

ark-of-continuum
September 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM
What a twist! If the aired clip from "The Lost Tribe" was real, then it is some evil or... hmm lost population of the species well known as Dragsa. But if that clip was fake, it means producers done very LOST'ish thing. We already seen a many "fake" people in the coffin at LOST "real" teaser clips.

Xaeden
September 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM
They also carry hand weapons (which we've never seen these guys have any use for before).

We may never have seen them with hand weapons, but that's not unsurpsing since...

any of their weapons would've been useless against replicators, which were the only enemies we really saw them in close proximity to apart from the time Thor was captured by Anubis. However, I got the impression that they did have hand weapons (and why wouldn't they?) when Thor mentioned that they never thought of using something as primitive as Earth weapons in their battle with the replicators. Although to be fair, he may have just meant that watching them effectively battle the replicators on a small scale showed him that primitive thinking might've worked on a larger one as well if only they were still capable of thinking like that.

DaxFlowLyfe
September 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
BIG BIG BIG BIG Spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubaXUCGg90

There is your proof

It is in fact
Asgard

Daniel is just like.. uhhhhhhhhhh O_O

The6thRace
September 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM
BIG BIG BIG BIG Spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubaXUCGg90

There is your proof

It is in fact
Asgard

Daniel is just like.. uhhhhhhhhhh O_O

I think that is the leaked preview the original post was in fact referring to. In fact, besides the trailer from that episode, its the only clip I've seen. Amazing how these small clips never get leaked, but this one gets spread all over. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a big joke just to make the REAL surprise all the more shocking. I guess we won't find out till two more weeks.

chestnu1
September 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I think that is the leaked preview the original post was in fact referring to. In fact, besides the trailer from that episode, its the only clip I've seen. Amazing how these small clips never get leaked, but this one gets spread all over. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a big joke just to make the REAL surprise all the more shocking. I guess we won't find out till two more weeks.

Looked pretty darn real to me

The Prophet
September 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Looked pretty darn real to me

Obviously, as it was produced by TPTB. But they could have produced it as a red herring to fool the fans as to the real identity of the Aliens.

Unlikely, though.

The6thRace
September 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Obviously, as it was produced by TPTB. But they could have produced it as a red herring to fool the fans as to the real identity of the Aliens.

Unlikely, though.

Unlikely, although a small part of me hopes it actually isn't what it is. Although its good to see them again, I was hoping for something different.

airrick
September 28th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Hey guys! its true! Confirmed @ SCI FI's website
Go here! http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/episodes/index.php

You can clearly see its true from the image on this page.. so stop speculating about that clip

wolverine_nl
September 28th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I had a good look at the preview with the spoiler in it, but what strikens me the most is that there is no music in the background, no extra soundFX and the way MS acts is somehow a bit strange, not like he would play that...i dunno :mckay:

jds1982
September 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I had a good look at the preview with the spoiler in it, but what strikens me the most is that there is no music in the background, no extra soundFX and the way MS acts is somehow a bit strange, not like he would play that...i dunno :mckay:

Um it's a clip from before they've added background music and sound effects, they do all that stuff after they film something. What's wrong with the way MS acts, he looks shocked, which Daniel would be in that situation.

wolverine_nl
September 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Um it's a clip from before they've added background music and sound effects, they do all that stuff after they film something. What's wrong with the way MS acts, he looks shocked, which Daniel would be in that situation.

hmm, i still dunno, i have seen him act it better, or it is an outtake so the show itself comes out better...

wolverine_nl
September 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I also watched the preview on the scifi website, they claim it is the Asgard but in that clip they dont show them, only as a still. looks like they wanna spoil it on purpose, so to create a greater shock when it isnt them. Or scifi is just plain stupid in spoiling this. which doesnt surprise me either

Bboyce109
September 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Dude its a fake, come on the Asgard, of all the races who would want to use a doomsday device, come on you kidding me!!!!!!!

nemesis24
September 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
you never know, we know the asgard and anicents were allies in the MWG. then the anicents moved on to the PG, when the war with the wraith started the asgard may have helped for a while but when the war was lost they retreated - it could be these new asgard with the cool suits are just trying to solve a problem the anicents never could, out of some sense of honour to their fallen ally

wolverine_nl
September 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
you never know, we know the asgard and anicents were allies in the MWG. then the anicents moved on to the PG, when the war with the wraith started the asgard may have helped for a while but when the war was lost they retreated - it could be these new asgard with the cool suits are just trying to solve a problem the anicents never could, out of some sense of honour to their fallen ally

somewhere i hope u r right ;)

Actionhank
September 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
It's fake. Actually "the lost tribe" refers to
The travelers who found some ancient tech. Just kidding ^^ But seriously - just look at the ship - doesn't that one look like ancient design, kind of a bigger, darker puddle jumper? Welllll, the suits for the asgard would make sense since they lack of physical strength. But then again - why would they not be able to turn on the device themselves while having such a great technological advantage (passing shields and stuff)? Hack, they could build their own Attero Device!!!
Another thing: What would be their plan after all? Do they suddenly have numerous ships and personal to do away with all the remaining wraith?!? Because you can't assume all wraith to enter hyperspace when they find out...
One other thing: If they are Asgard - why not use beaming tech? I mean - they took the long way just to confuse the viewer? ^^

wolverine_nl
September 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM
It's fake. Actually "the lost tribe" refers to
The travelers who found some ancient tech. Just kidding ^^ But seriously - just look at the ship - doesn't that one look like ancient design, kind of a bigger, darker puddle jumper? Welllll, the suits for the asgard would make sense since they lack of physical strength. But then again - why would they not be able to turn on the device themselves while having such a great technological advantage (passing shields and stuff)? Hack, they could build their own Attero Device!!!
Another thing: What would be their plan after all? Do they suddenly have numerous ships and personal to do away with all the remaining wraith?!? Because you can't assume all wraith to enter hyperspace when they find out...
One other thing: If they are Asgard - why not use beaming tech? I mean - they took the long way just to confuse the viewer? ^^

Well, 10,000 years ago the Asgard might not have been so superior in their technology, maybe the beaming and so came lateron and maybe these suits kept them in stasis for all those years untill the device gave of a signal, maybe their bodies werent ready yet to live in our atmosphere just yet, because their bodies are more fragile and after stasis, this condition gets worse for a little while.

Actionhank
September 28th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Well, 10,000 years ago the Asgard might not have been so superior in their technology, maybe the beaming and so came lateron and maybe these suits kept them in stasis for all those years untill the device gave of a signal, maybe their bodies werent ready yet to live in our atmosphere just yet, because their bodies are more fragile and after stasis, this condition gets worse for a little while.
Who said anything about 10000 years? As far as I know the Asgard commited suicide (I still find that hard to believe anyway :( ) just some months or maybe one or two years prior to the event of this episode.

Mitchell82
September 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Who said anything about 10000 years? As far as I know the Asgard commited suicide (I still find that hard to believe anyway :( ) just some months or maybe one or two years prior to the event of this episode.
watch Sg-1's series finale. Anyway this is real the only thing is the audio was unfinished in the clip. Visuals were done but not the audio. Daniels reaction is believable considering the events of Unending. It's a shame it was leaked but it's real. A great twist IMO.

bfldworker
September 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
What a twist! If the aired clip from "The Lost Tribe" was real, then it is some evil or... hmm lost population of the species well known as Dragsa. But if that clip was fake, it means producers done very LOST'ish thing. We already seen a many "fake" people in the coffin at LOST "real" teaser clips.

I am sure you noticed but spell Dragsa backwards.... ASGARD

fumblesmcstupid
September 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Uh guys Gateworld has just put up an entry saying Sci-Fi let the cat out of the bag. It's on the GW homepage.

Shade_of_Chulak
September 29th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I think at this point it would be worse if it turned out to be a fake

prion
September 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Yes, even Skiffy has up a photo from it (they're so good at spoiling their own shows, sigh). Why would they wear those suits (the Asgard)? The writers probably watched DOCTOR WHO and thought, hey, if it works for the daleks, it can work for the asgard! ;)

the screwing up the drives and blowing up the ships is much more practical than hunting down a ship at a time, espcially if they can go into hyperspace.