This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coincidence?

I believe that TPTB have given us a clue that Nicole deBoer will be in Universe.

Her character in DS9 was transferred from the Starship Destiny....

It's a sign!!!

[/tongue in cheek]

It could be a sign that she won't be in SGU.

Cause in that show she will no longer be working on the destiny she got transfered from it. Maybe it might be a sign that she will be on it but will die or be left on a planet shortly after.

Exactly who is her character

Comment

Isn't she that cute doctor from Whispers?

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
        Isn't she that cute doctor from Whispers?
        Yes she is.

Just thought I'd let you know The Suicidal Goldfish there is already a thread relating to Nicole being in Universe.

Comment

Yeah, she was cute and all, but i hope they dont include any characters from the previous shows.

To have her on Universe wouldnt make much sense as they are stationed in Pegasus and i assume they would keep all their personell where they are but IDK.
          Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

Uh... reading too much into it.

Comment

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
              Uh... reading too much into it.
              I think the OP was joking, i personally thought it was a good connection
              Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by The Suicidal Goldfish View Post
                I believe that TPTB have given us a clue that Nicole deBoer will be in Universe.

Her character in DS9 was transferred from the Starship Destiny....

It's a sign!!!

[/tongue in cheek]
                she is young and i for one would be damn happy to have her aboard
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Nicole was pretty hot in Whispers. Too bad we, probably, will not see her in Atlantis Movie. I think she will be good enough in Universe... as well as Leela Savasta (with her beautiful small sexy t!tz).

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                    I think the OP was joking, i personally thought it was a good connection
                    Yea and suddley in the last season of Atlantis they bring an all female team in to "test the fan responce" yea it was to see if it would be a good thing in SGU or prehaps it was to see how the fans react to an actor form star trek doing a full series of Stargate but I am probably wrong since they have Mister Picardo and Mister Trainner and they had Mister Billingless for an episode of SG1
                    C. Edmund

Comment

To be fair I think the all female team was something that would happen sooner or later. Because if you look at near enough every SG team that we saw on both shows, there was only really a handful of women on those teams. Carter, that young clever girl can't remember her name are the only two I can name prior to the all female team. So I think its something that was bound to happen, them recruiting more women to be on the teams. I think its a good idea and I think she'd be good on Universe.
                      sigpic

Comment

^^^ why is it a good idea? Women are proven to be physically weaker than most men in combat situations and are more likely to let their emotions cloud their judgement... kinda like a Sith....
                        Meh.

Comment

^^^ why is it a good idea? Women are proven to be physically weaker than most men in combat situations and are more likely to let their emotions cloud their judgement... kinda like a Sith....
                          Well they are breaking into areas dominated by men, and although they are physically weaker than men in general, it doesn't mean an all female team would not work in practice. The reason I said it was a good idea is because its something different from what we've already seen. As lets take the SG1 and Atlantis teams;

Jack - Sheppard
                          Ronan - Teal'c
                          Carter - Teyla
                          Daniel - Rodney

They are made up of three men, one woman. So it gives us something different to watch rather than another team built up of a similar set of characters. And on another score I suppose it ties into Universe with their view of attracting younger audience members, they probably believe an all female SG team would appeal to younger male viewers.

So the basic point I'm making is, it is a good idea because it is something different rather than them coming up with something we've already seen. That's something that Stargate needs in someways, to bring somethign different, something new to their series. And I think it has the potential to be something good. But its unlikely we'll see an all female SG team taking the lead roles. I won't dispute men are stronger, but I think it was a good idea to bring something fresh to the series.
                          sigpic

Comment

While what you say is true in most respects but your inserting the information in the wrong context.

The "physically weaker" part comes into play when carrying heavy loads, this is applied mostly in terms of an infantry soldier. A soldier who may carry on the order of 100 pounds on top of their own body weight.

We don't see SG teams moving around with loads like this, in fact outside of medical personnel (who have been women) there have only been a few SG soldiers who have carried heavy loads.

Emotions can play a part for a man or a woman equally. It isn't about "men" being better in this regard but by finding and only recruiting those into this type of service who can handle it and do the job on an emotional level.

The ability of a man or a woman in a combat situation comes more down to if they are the type of person who can handle it and what sort of training/experience they have had prior to that point. You can take a woman and train her to fire a weapon just as well as a man, you can teach her how to navigate a battlefield just like a man. In fact in pretty much any area you can make a female soldier just as good as a male soldier, even make them just about as strong as your average male soldier given that you have them go through the proper physical training. Except in terms of carrying outright heavy loads most of the rest is about stamina which women can achieve the same as men.

I know this to be true after serving quite a few years in the US Army, one of my MOSs was 11B (Infantry) and I have served in combat. More importantly I have served in combat with female soldiers, iv seen them do the same jobs that many say they can't do and they were doing those jobs very well and proved to be just as competent at them as any male soldier I have come across. In most combat situations it doesn't take a great deal of physical energy but more the mental ability to keep a bit of focus and do what needs to be done. A woman can do that as well as a man provided that those in charge have done their job in only putting people out there who should be there in the first place.

The military has also said that in some jobs women tend to be better. One of those jobs that gained a bit of controversy is as a sniper. Women have been used as snipers since at least the time of WWII and in many ways it has been said that they are better because of their smaller bodies (easier to hide and requires less food), their ability to remain more patient and calm and because they have better mental abilities in areas that lead them to multitask better, keep track of details better and maintain focus on an object better.

Unless SG teams start carrying full rucks over long distances or pack around heavier weapons than there is nothing that would make it any more difficult for a woman to do the job than a man. Not to mention this is a Scifi TV show, reality isn't all that important in the first place.

Anyway, sure, a few more female soldiers wouldn't be a bad thing in any way. An all female team, go for it, it just might add a thing or two to the show that can be talked about or allow for some interesting writing ideas. I just don't see how it could be a bad thing unless the show runners are worried about upsetting those guys in the world who believe females just can't make good soldiers.

Comment

Working...
                            X