This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why leave Atlantis in Pegasus?

Why, when the chips were down for the Ancients did they decide to leave Atlantis in the Pegasus Galaxy? Why not bring it back and rebuild their civilisation in the Milky Way.

Did they intend to go back? Were they just thinking of abandoning it permanently, if so why not destroy it?

When they were in a similar position in the Milky Way they took it with them.

They left the MW for PG because of a disease that was killing them.

They were forced to leave PG through the stargate because the Wraith were attacking Atlantis I think. This is where I was a bit sketchy. They learned from the Atlantis database that the Wraith laid siege to Atlantis at some point and their shield could not hold forever. They decided to sink Atlantis and leave through the stargate.

Now this leaves a few questions.
    1. How did they sink Atlantis without the Wraith finding it and using the SG to come to the MW? Did they defeat the Wraith attacking Atlantis and then leave? Did they pull some kind of trick like Mckay did when he turned the shields into a cloak? Did they relocate the city to a new planet and then leave?

2. Why not take Atlantis back to the MW or to another new galaxy? Did they not have enough power to get back? Would the trip take too long (like the Atlantian ship found between PG and MW)? Does Atlantis have the type of hyperdrive that is fast enough to go between galaxies in a relative short amount of time rather than lifetimes?
    sigpic

Comment

Hmm. Good question. I would be inclined to agree with Jangles. (BTW: green for you Jangles)

Comment

They sunk the city so that the Wraith's weapons would not have as large of an impact as it would on the surface. It was mentioned in the pilot episode but I think more recently it was mentioned when we sunk the city in First Strike

Comment

I believe they planned to return in force and take back the galaxy. They likely just submerged the city in the middle of an attack but since the Wraith can't get passed the shield from Orbit with hundreds of hive ships the Ancients knew they wouldn't be able too underwater. Also in the episode where the Queen was found in the drilling platform. I think she was there looking for a way in.

I think that the ancients planned to make a huge armada and return. I can't see them leaving the galaxy to the Wraith if they could do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
            I believe they planned to return in force and take back the galaxy. They likely just submerged the city in the middle of an attack but since the Wraith can't get passed the shield from Orbit with hundreds of hive ships the Ancients knew they wouldn't be able too underwater. Also in the episode where the Queen was found in the drilling platform. I think she was there looking for a way in.

I think that the ancients planned to make a huge armada and return. I can't see them leaving the galaxy to the Wraith if they could do anything about it.
            Atlantis wasn't submerged when she attacked. She was the first queen to lead an attack. Perhaps they planned to come back but got too busy ascending.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangles View Post
              They left the MW for PG because of a disease that was killing them.

They were forced to leave PG through the stargate because the Wraith were attacking Atlantis I think. This is where I was a bit sketchy. They learned from the Atlantis database that the Wraith laid siege to Atlantis at some point and their shield could not hold forever. They decided to sink Atlantis and leave through the stargate.

1. How did they sink Atlantis without the Wraith finding it and using the SG to come to the MW? Did they defeat the Wraith attacking Atlantis and then leave? Did they pull some kind of trick like Mckay did when he turned the shields into a cloak? Did they relocate the city to a new planet and then leave?

2. Why not take Atlantis back to the MW or to another new galaxy? Did they not have enough power to get back? Would the trip take too long (like the Atlantian ship found between PG and MW)? Does Atlantis have the type of hyperdrive that is fast enough to go between galaxies in a relative short amount of time rather than lifetimes?
              1) in order to sink atlantis, you need the shield to be active and stay up and as long as the shield is up, the wraith cant get into atlantis and they also blocked their stargate only to acept 8 chevron adresses so theres no way that the wraith could get into atlantis even though they knew where it was they just coudlnt get to it.

2) they didint take atlantis back with them because there were hundreds of wraith hive ships in orbit that would have fired on them the moment they tried to take off, remember, even though they had 3 zpms the continuous fire from a hundred hives as well as the massive amount off power it takes to power up and use the star drive would be far too much for their 3 zpms to handle and the wraith would destroy the city.

however, they would have had more than eneough power to take off and use the star drive to get back to the milky way galaxy if the wraith were not there.

and the trip would not have taken too long. remember, atlantises star drive can go faster than our 304s can and they can make the trip in 3 weeks. and the ship found between the pg, and the mw was damaged so they couldnt enter hyperspace or else they also could have also made the trip.

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
              Why, when the chips were down for the Ancients did they decide to leave Atlantis in the Pegasus Galaxy? Why not bring it back and rebuild their civilisation in the Milky Way.

Did they intend to go back? Were they just thinking of abandoning it permanently, if so why not destroy it?

When they were in a similar position in the Milky Way they took it with them.

they left it in the pg because if they tried to take it with them, it would have been destroyed by the siegeing wraith. im sure they wanted to but they couldnt,

my guess is that they wanted to go back for it once the wraith were gone but they proboly never got around to it.

and they really werent in a similar situation in the milky way, in that case there wasnt any enemy wanting to blow them up preventing them from taking the city it was just a plague that they were escaping from.
              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Jangles View Post

1) They sunk Atlantis to prevent the Wraith from attacking them, being submerged Wraith weapons hardly did any damage. Then they went through the SG back to MW. They left due to not being able to get through the shields.
                2) The Wraith probably had their entire fleet in orbit laying siege to Atlantis, therefore making an escape would be impossible, they had 3 ZPM's powering Atlantis, depends on how powerful the Stardrive is, probably not to long a few days to a week at most. The Tria was going exactly at the speed of light because their hyper drive was broken. I would assume the Ancients would have the technology to go between MW and Pegasus fast enough.
                Last edited by Xen9228; 25 September 2008, 01:43 PM. Reason: Correcting

Comment

Well first of all the ancients didn't know how to cloak the city 10 000 years ago,even if they did they would have to been on the surface because with the cloak you can't shield.
                  Second I do not believe that they had defeated the wraith back then because why would they leave?And no they did not relocate the planet because Atlantis had been on the old planet for at least 15 000 years(until first strike, see also Echos)
                  They probably didn't take Atlantis to MW because there were hundreds of wraith ships. (other ships tried to leave but were destroyed)
                  And the Ancient ship found between PG & MW had a damaged hyperdrive, but Atlantis does have a intergalactic hyperdrive (duh)
                  When the ancients left they programmed the gate to only accept a wormhole from earth( see Before I Sleep) and the Anceint Janus told Alternate Weir how to run the ZPMs in a Series as to not deplete them.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post

i dont think they were going to return in force, after all maybe a thousand ancients made their way back to earth even if they built a hundred ships there wouldnt have been eneough people to crew them. also, there was no way to win the war. they fought the wraith for over a hundred years and proboly built hundreds if not thousands or battleships but it made no difference, the wraith always out numbered them. i dont think the few ancients that made there way back to earth were willing to fight any more, they just wanted to live out the remainder of their lives in peace.

and the alpha queen of all of the wraith wouldnt have been looking for a way into atlantis. they werent stupid, they knew about the ancients shield and that their wepons wouldnt work under water so why would she risk her life on a fools quest. after all if she wanted to find some way in she couls have sent one of the other millions of wraith under her control to do it. i think its more likely she was shot down and crashed into the ocean. then she fed on her crew and what humans they had and hybernated and waited till she could find a way to escape.
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

With three ZPMs and access to other ZPMs, Atlantis could of charged right through. If the ships were of no use just explode them near the besieging hives. Kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Xen9228 View Post
                        1) They sunk Atlantis to prevent the Wraith from attacking them, being submerged Wraith weapons hardly did any damage. Then they went through the SG back to MW. They left due to not being able to get through the shields.
                        2) The Wraith probably had their entire fleet in orbit laying siege to Atlantis, therefore making an escape would be impossible, they had 3 ZPM's powering Atlantis, depends on how powerful the Stardrive is, probably not to long a few days to a week at most. The Tria was going exactly at the speed of light because their hyper drive was broken. I would assume the Ancients would have the technology to go between MW and Pegasus fast enough.

actually they were traveling at .999 the speed of light. if they were traveling exactly the speed of light, they would be in hyperspace, although going very very slow.
                        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                          actually they were traveling at .999 the speed of light. if they were traveling exactly the speed of light, they would be in hyperspace, although going very very slow.
                          Ah right, couldn't remember exactly, thanks.

With three ZPMs and access to other ZPMs, Atlantis could of charged right through. If the ships were of no use just explode them near the besieging hives. Kill two birds with one stone.
                          Even with 3 ZPM, they wouldn't last long against the Wraiths entire fleet, plus having to dodge ships, needless to say they wouldn't make it out of their in one peace.
                          Last edited by Xen9228; 25 September 2008, 01:58 PM. Reason: Adding something

Comment

the wraith had hundreds of hives and past experiences have shown the atlantis shield isint either invincible nor a power saver. with both the star drive and the shield running at extremely high power, their 3 zpms wouldnt be able to handle it.
                            STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                              the wraith had hundreds of hives and past experiences have shown the atlantis shield isint either invincible nor a power saver. with both the star drive and the shield running at extremely high power, their 3 zpms wouldnt be able to handle it.
                              You can only fit a few hives in one space. Atlantis took bombardment from multiple hives with only one ZPM. With three it could of gone into orbit and disappeared into hyperspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X