X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to kill a Wraith - possible spoiler

Please be aware possible spoilers
    content contains reference to Stargate Atlantis episode 104 - 38 minutes

Episode "Thirty Eight Minutes" deals with 2 storylines and it is the insect that I wish to draw attention to. The insect which Teyla believes to be related to the Wraith, due to its energy draining abilities, and if is a "prehistoric cousin" (dr. mckay) to the wraith had one noticeable weekness... salt, water, "or a combination of both" (dr. beckett) which made it very mad. I know that if you poured acid on me I would be pissed off. How does this support a theory for "wraith killer" well what is atlantis surrounded by, and what did the ancients sink their city into when they left? An Ocean, and presumably one of salt water, though water (obviously). After they did so the Wraith could not get to it. Now why would a space bearing race let a little thing like (salt) water stand in their way, unless it was more of a threat to them. Also this possible solution is very simple and most often those solutions are the correct ones.

Ok let me get this straight:

You're saying that the Wraith may have some weakness to saltwater, which is why the ancients sunk the city? There is a much simpler answer.

The ancients sank Atlantis so it would be there for future generations should they return. See, the way I figure, the atlantians had three choices:

Choice #1: Pick up the city and fly back to the Milky Way.
    PRO: You have the city AND got away!
    CON: The Wraith followed you and now you have Wraith on Earth.

Choice #2: Gate out of the city, and leave it to be destroyed on the surface.
    PRO: You got away!
    CON: You left the city on the surface and now it's destroyed!

Choice #3: Sink the city, then gate to Earth.
    PRO: You got away and the Wraith won't take the time to destroy the city now that it's on the bottom of an ocean.
    CON: You only have about 10,000 years until the power runs out and the city is lost for good.

Choice #3 wins in my book. You survive, and the city survives.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

It’s an interesting idea although I think if the wraith have weakness to saltwater then they would look more like vampires which I think is not what the TPTB want.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

I believe that the Wraith don't have a weakness to salt water, per se. They may have a sort of stunning reaction to the water, but certainly not a full-blown weakness to it.
        Enter my game site...

Comment

I agree with Gothann that would be just to easy.

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

even if they did, ships ?:/

(sorry for short answer, tired )

Comment

My guess on why the Ancients put Atlantis under water:

Wraith weapons are most likely plasma based, since all advanced alien races except the Ancients have used plasma weapons/particle accelerators. And plasma is very hot (20 million celsius or more) and water is excellent to cool down plasma

Comment

I thought it was the shield that was protecting Atlantis not the water it was more for deception.

Comment

Even at that, space ships with plasma-based weaponry can't fire underwater. Plasma cools down at an amazing rate, the farther you are, the less damage you do. It would be true for the underwater scenario, where all they would do is vaporize water instead of shoot long-range.
                  Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                    I thought it was the shield that was protecting Atlantis not the water it was more for deception.
                    Perhaps the water protected the city from the energy-based weapons, and while the shields could do the same, after the city was sunk, they served mostly to hold back the immense pressures of being underwater.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Big giant, and I mean big, supersoakers filled with salt water.

Comment

I think the H2O+NaCl mixture is more likely to be an irritant than a Wraith killer.

I can't imagine it being that easy to kill a Wraith - if it were then the Ancients would have told their human seeds that all they had to do was make supersoakers and they could go kick some pale green Wraith butt!

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
                        One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
                        One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
                        Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
                        Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
                        Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gothann
                          I believe that the Wraith don't have a weakness to salt water, per se. They may have a sort of stunning reaction to the water, but certainly not a full-blown weakness to it.
                          Not really a weakness to the salt water... it's that they can't swim.

Comment

That may be true...

They might be scared of water because they drown fast. ^_^
                            Enter my game site...

Comment

Hi, I'm a newbie.

My theory about the bug on Shepard's neck and the reaction to salt water is: It's a bug. It's never been wet before. I mean, how would you feel if you're eating and some doses you in salt water? I know the bug wasn't dosed with water but still.

They haven't tested this theory on human like Wratihes yet. For all we know, the Wraith could drink salt water all day long.

It's just a opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X