PDA

View Full Version : Stargate (1994)

IrishPisano
September 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
OMG.... i'm watching the opening credits for Stargate, the original motion picture...

CREEPY..........

the camera panning around and then cutting back on a statue of Ra's face...

and the MUSIC......

that score was very much present in the first season or 2 of SG1, i believe.... but quickly faded out... sad really... the original Goa'uld theme was lost and replaced by standard TV music... :-(

IrishPisano
September 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
OMG...

in the scene where Daniel is lecturing about the pyramids at the beginning... one guy quips, "who do you think built them.... men from Atlantis?"

the answer is no, obviously...

but he Ancients are responsible for them, for without the stargates, the goa'uld never would have thrived :)

Daniel Jackson
September 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm glad SG-1 moved away from the movie's music and developed it's own musical identity. All they needed to keep from the movie was the main theme for the opening credits and Ra's theme which they kept as the Goa'uld theme. The movie's soundtrack is available on CD. You can buy it from Amazon.com. :jack:

sarc
September 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
A derivative of the movie's theme tune was used as the opening theme of SG-1 till the end, save for those episodes/seasons having a shortened start with just the title being shown. I always enjoyed watching the original start that was taken from the movie. It embodied something profound, mysterious and ancient. Then Scifi took over and everything went downhill since then, until the show's ultimate demise.

Rise Of The Phoenix
September 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
OMG...

in the scene where Daniel is lecturing about the pyramids at the beginning... one guy quips, "who do you think built them.... men from Atlantis?"

but he Ancients are responsible for them, for without the stargates, the goa'uld never would have thrived :)

Very true.

Oh how many mistakes did the Ancient's actually make? I meen we lowly Humans have made some pretty big ones of our own but the Ancient's are in a completely different league of their own.
You'd think being so wise they would've at least learnt from their's but I guess that's why they don't interfere now.

Jack_Bauer
September 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
OMG...

lol i have never thought about that...

IrishPisano
September 24th, 2008, 04:41 AM
lol i have never thought about that...

;)

i think that's why Daniel got so pissed off all the time... the Ancients are in part... NOT WHOLLY... BUT IN PART... responsible for all the crap that went on in the Milky Way... and never cleaned up their messes... it's too bad that Daniel wasn't involved with SGA... bc i'm sure he'd be even more pissed off than he was when he confronted Morgan for help with the Ori... after all, the Ancients - with all their tech and knowledge - couldn't handle a few hundred thousand bugs

but i digress

yes, a derivative of the SG94 score is used as the theme of SG1... i guess i just miss the Showtime years...

Pharaoh Atem
September 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
wow welcome to stargate ;)

IrishPisano
September 24th, 2008, 07:15 AM
wow welcome to stargate ;)

i've been here since the beginning.... 14 years ago...

KowalRoyale
September 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Technically the ancients created atlantis as their main home, so they would be from atlantis, and they did create the stargates so.....he was right

IrishPisano
September 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Technically the ancients created atlantis as their main home, so they would be from atlantis, and they did create the stargates so.....he was right

actually, no, you're wrong (i think :) )

the ancients did not create Atlantis as their main home

Atlantis was created MILLIONS of years after they arrived in the milky way...

Anda
September 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
"Stargate"the movie was very good.I like it very much...

Pharaoh Atem
September 24th, 2008, 05:57 PM
i've been here since the beginning.... 14 years ago...

you just seem all happy like you''ve seen it for the first time :)

IrishPisano
September 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
you just seem all happy like you''ve seen it for the first time :)

indeed
lol

it's like discovering an old toy of yours in the attic that you thought was the coolest thing when you were 5... :)

Rise Of The Phoenix
September 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I haven't watched the original movie for ages.
I think I'm gonna have to sit down and watch it all again.

Alan Wake
September 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Ah... this is funny :) i was watching the original movie last night too... i believe i started at the part where Daniel was giving his aliens built the pyramids speech.

IrishPisano
September 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Ah... this is funny :) i was watching the original movie last night too... i believe i started at the part where Daniel was giving his aliens built the pyramids speech.

good stuff...

esp since you know he's right :)

TenthDoctor
October 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM
what did you think of the movie? symbols and the mythology of it? the storylie? the characters? What do you think it was trying to tell? I think it's an interesting take on "Aliens built the pyramids" bit. Definitely a theory I'd buy, but then that's the conspiracy nut in me talking And yeah, Daniel was right. :D

heruur
October 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
something that I have wondered for a while about the original film is why Ra's first prime was called "Anubis"???
As we know in the tv spin off Anubis was a Goauld in his own right..
So any significane in this at all mythology wise??

IrishPisano
October 13th, 2008, 04:27 AM
something that I have wondered for a while about the original film is why Ra's first prime was called "Anubis"???
As we know in the tv spin off Anubis was a Goauld in his own right..
So any significane in this at all mythology wise??

uhm... the show changed a lot of stuff that was in the film......

did u notice that daniel's wife is sha're in sg1 and sha'uri sg94?

Calhoun
October 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM
uhm... the show changed a lot of stuff that was in the film......

True, but it was mostly for the better. Plus, they kept most of the important stuff (Jack and Daniel's friendship, Jack's kid, etc) and just built upon them to create a series.

Yes, there were a few differences (some might say plot holes), but most of these were addressed in some form or another; the "alien" Ra in the movie being retconned as an Unas, for example.

Some things weren't addressed, like Abydos being in another galaxy in the movie, but close by in our galaxy for SG-1... but I don't even see the difference as necessarily being a plot hole... it just means the magical wormhole tracker from the movie wasn't calibrated properly!

did u notice that daniel's wife is sha're in sg1 and sha'uri sg94?

Yeah, but as differences go, that's pretty minor. Given we still don't know for sure how to pronounce ancient Egyptian (take Set / Seth / Setesh as an example), some confusion over how to pronounce / spell her name isn't unusual.

IrishPisano
October 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
what kills me is that people actually think that differences between the film and the tv series are plot holes...

the show is BASED on the film... its not a direct sequel to it...

i mean that's like saying that there are plotholes in the Two Towers film because of stuff that was written in the Fellowship book...

jelgate
October 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
My time here has taught many times what a person call a plot hole isn't really a plot hole

IrishPisano
October 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
the term "plot hole" is now, when it comes to movies and tv, far more overused and misunderstood than the word "pretentious"

i wish there was a virtual b**chslap that you could send over the internet that would temporarily but not permanently mess up a person's computer any time they misused either of those phrases

jelgate
October 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Your not the only one;)

IrishPisano
October 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM
plothole and pretentious should be banned from internet chatrooms and messageboards

Sp!der
October 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
well...acutally i have to admit, that i first watch the series and then the movie... it was so weird not to see michael shanks and rda in the movie. but still, jack o n'eill isnt the same in the movie (i think he is even spelled with one l ;) ) but i think james spader and michael shanks were so alike (well especially in the first seasons looks michael shanks a lot like spader, so they did a great job)....
what do you think would have happened if roland emmerich would have did the show and not the other guys?...i think it would not last ten seasons though.....

jennie
October 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM
i adore this show.This is a VERY believable science fiction film. It captured my attention quickly and kept it throughout the movie.