This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An additional take on SG:Universe

So many threads, all of which have very different topics. Just sharing my general view here on what we can expect to see in SGU.

First up, I'd rather have had another five seasons of Atlantis before anyone went on to Universe. I can semi-understand their reasons, but still, I think Atlantis has plenty of storytelling left to do yet, that just wont do justice in movie form. I'll leave that there anyway, no need to turn this into a 'Save Atlantis' topic.

Anyway, Universe. I figure (in regards to travelling) that this is going to happen in one of two ways. Either this 'ship' will be in one Galaxy, and will be stuck there (maybe it has ran out of power or something), OR, the show will work in the way that each season is based in a new galaxy. At the end of every season, the ship will jump to a different galaxy, at which a whole new story will unfold for one year (if we assume the ship stays put for a year). Each season we'd be given a different 'main bad guy' who will most probably be defeated at the end. That is, unless they do a similar type storyline to that of ST:Voyager.

It is without a doubt too, that 90% of the alien races we see will be Humans (or at the vest least, Humanoid). Even with the budget the SG guys have probably got, the cost it would take them to design new CGI aliens for every episode would be extensive. Same goes for simple makeup, so expect to see plenty of human-based alien species lying about the place.

In addition, I can pretty much expect that the 'team' will end up back on Earth at the end of it. Either this ship will be destroyed, or will finish its task (if that is even possible). One (or two) of the main characters will probably die too, even that, or somewhere mid-show, a route will be found back to earth, and some will go back, and others will come.

Sorry for sounding a little pessimistic here... can't say I'm overly hyped about this. Do all feel free to share your views too though, on what you think, and what I've wrote.
    sigpic
    It's Probin' Time!

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
    Anyway, Universe. I figure (in regards to travelling) that this is going to happen in one of two ways. Either this 'ship' will be in one Galaxy, and will be stuck there (maybe it has ran out of power or something), OR, the show will work in the way that each season is based in a new galaxy. At the end of every season, the ship will jump to a different galaxy, at which a whole new story will unfold for one year (if we assume the ship stays put for a year). Each season we'd be given a different 'main bad guy' who will most probably be defeated at the end. That is, unless they do a similar type storyline to that of ST:Voyager.
    I was thinking along those lines too, but then I thought "hang on a second, the ship wouldn't need to stay in the same area of space because 'space gates' can re-aline themselves. So If the ship just dropped off the 'space gate' and jumped to another planet, wouldn't it be impossible to even gate back to the ship since the point of origin would always be changing?"
    Not to mention the fact that the ship will be jumping to another galaxy some time in the near future.
    Overall, I'm going to watch SGU because I've been a fan since I was in 4th grade, but I think this new series is a bad, bad idea.
    sigpic
    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

so instead of one constant story arc, you want several ones that last for only a season?

thats retarded, not enough time to evolve a story and to get all the info.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
        So many threads, all of which have very different topics. Just sharing my general view here on what we can expect to see in SGU.

First up, I'd rather have had another five seasons of Atlantis before anyone went on to Universe. I can semi-understand their reasons, but still, I think Atlantis has plenty of storytelling left to do yet, that just wont do justice in movie form. I'll leave that there anyway, no need to turn this into a 'Save Atlantis' topic.

It is without a doubt too, that 90% of the alien races we see will be Humans (or at the vest least, Humanoid). Even with the budget the SG guys have probably got, the cost it would take them to design new CGI aliens for every episode would be extensive. Same goes for simple makeup, so expect to see plenty of human-based alien species lying about the place.

In addition, I can pretty much expect that the 'team' will end up back on Earth at the end of it. Either this ship will be destroyed, or will finish its task (if that is even possible). One (or two) of the main characters will probably die too, even that, or somewhere mid-show, a route will be found back to earth, and some will go back, and others will come.

Sorry for sounding a little pessimistic here... can't say I'm overly hyped about this. Do all feel free to share your views too though, on what you think, and what I've wrote.
        For the most part, what you said I can all believe. I kinda don't believe the ship will "loose" power in it's first season, but it's very likely it could happen.

Also, on the alien budget, yea I expect all humanoid aliens because of money, and a few cool weird looking aliens that's CGI or something crazy looking. Maybe a 4D creature or something? Who knows.

And I'm not sure your views are pessimistic or more realistic.

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
        I was thinking along those lines too, but then I thought "hang on a second, the ship wouldn't need to stay in the same area of space because 'space gates' can re-aline themselves. So If the ship just dropped off the 'space gate' and jumped to another planet, wouldn't it be impossible to even gate back to the ship since the point of origin would always be changing?"
        Not to mention the fact that the ship will be jumping to another galaxy some time in the near future.
        Overall, I'm going to watch SGU because I've been a fan since I was in 4th grade, but I think this new series is a bad, bad idea.
        That's the whole reason I keep saying there's not enough information about the show in another thread. Because we don't know how the 9th Cheveron works. We assume it follows logic and you need a point of origin, but what if the 9th Cheveron somehow changes things?

We just don't know. What we do know, doesn't all quite make sense. In any theory, there are gaps and questions that can not be answered yet. Might explain the confusion and the dislike of SGU, and the debates, because one person reads one set of facts and another reads the same, and we have two different facts based on the same press release.

It's hard to come up with anything right now, but what the original poster said is very, very likely.

Originally posted by Brewsy View Post
        so instead of one constant story arc, you want several ones that last for only a season?

thats retarded, not enough time to evolve a story and to get all the info.
        I don't think he wants it, just that he thinks thats whats going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
          I would have to share your views here. I was a fan since the first episode (I liked the movie, but didn't know a series would come from it).

Originally posted by Brewsy View Post
          Originally posted by Blistna View Post
          I don't think he wants it, just that he thinks thats whats going to happen.
          Blistna is correct. I don't want what I wrote to be the case, I just fear that it will be.
          sigpic
          It's Probin' Time!

Comment

I hope they run across the answers to everything that SG-1 and Atlantis are looking for, but can't get the info back to them because they can't get back themselves. For example, how to build ZPM's. Limitless energy.

A continued struggle with the means to defend themselves, continuing what the franchise has started, but from a different perspective. Instead of Earth-based tech everywhere, all tech would be Ancient or alien that they gather on their travels. I think the possibilities are going to dwarf the reality of the series, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisguy76 View Post
              I hope they run across the answers to everything that SG-1 and Atlantis are looking for, but can't get the info back to them because they can't get back themselves. For example, how to build ZPM's. Limitless energy.

A continued struggle with the means to defend themselves, continuing what the franchise has started, but from a different perspective. Instead of Earth-based tech everywhere, all tech would be Ancient or alien that they gather on their travels. I think the possibilities are going to dwarf the reality of the series, unfortunately.
              Now that is one thing that is bothering me. Presumably, the Antients in seeding all these galaxies would wanted to explore them at some point, but then asended, but wouldn't they have built some way for at least one gate to be able to dial to other galaxies? And if that's the case, why would they be stuck?

The gate seeding ship and the Destiny both must have power supplies that would allow them to run for a long time especially the gate ship if it has been running for millions of years. That would require ZPMs or something of high enough power that would allow anyone trapped on the Destiny to gate back to Earth. Even if the Destiny has a limited power supply the Antients were smart enough to account for that and put in some way for them to gate back to some place for them to resupply.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X