PDA

View Full Version : Left behind?

kymeric
September 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
With the spoilers for SGU saying that characters run the risk of being left behind in some galaxies if they dont gate out in time I kinda hope a few people are. Maybe in the back half of a season when theyre building to the finalle. Heck maybe strand some main characters on purpose and follow their struggle to survive ala Lost and Survivor. Could do an Aplot of destiny and its teams and Bplot of the lost team. Or maybe do 2 episodes of those on Destiny and then 1 episode of the lost team.

Thotz?

stargater1990
September 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
no

Xylian
September 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
No.

Cavil
September 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM
No

ciannwn
September 21st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe in the back half of a season when theyre building to the finalle. Heck maybe strand some main characters on purpose and follow their struggle to survive ala Lost and Survivor. Could do an Aplot of destiny and its teams and Bplot of the lost team. Or maybe do 2 episodes of those on Destiny and then 1 episode of the lost team.

If they're aiming for the 21st century story telling, space opera kind of approach that's the kind of thing they should be doing.

The Prophet
September 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Getting left behind- yeah sure.

Trying to find a way back, or a way to get the people back; possibly- yeah.

But not focus on it entirely; just an episode where the main team are stranded and jump from gate to gate, or Galaxy to Galaxy to get back; possibly a mid-season 2 parter, or season finale...

mark1
September 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
actually that wold be cool... for even half a season they could be seperated.. which would totally change relationships and dynamics of command.

Chevron_nine
September 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Actually, I think that could work, like how BSG followed Helo and Sharon on Caprica when they were away from Galactica.

flameling
September 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM
I agree with the main characters getting stranded in a two parter. It would be interesting to see.

Daedalus-304
September 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
I could possibly see a resourceful group that gets a hold of a power source dial from galaxy to galaxy to get to Pegasus / Milky Way, but I don't think you would see that on the show, or the main characters wouldn't know.

Possible clip show: SGC gets an incoming wormhole, and out comes a few members of the Universe team come through and tell the story so far.

Rise Of The Phoenix
September 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Actually, I think that could work, like how BSG followed Helo and Sharon on Caprica when they were away from Galactica.

Alot of people are saying that it's gonna fill the role of BSG so that would fit in quite well, but TPTB have to set it up just right, building the characters realtionships then adding that level of tension in some episodes season features.
It shouldn't be too over done though.
Plus they've gotta seperate themselves from BSG a bit.

If Destiny's designed to explore that should meen technologies, not just aliens so they may find a meens to get back to the ship at least if it does go out of range, not necessarily Earth.

In the beginning they could have the Asgard device that allows you to dial other Galaxy's Stargates (although it was never mentioned what range that had), they could lose it somewhere down the line, probably in the pilot.
Maybe there are puddle jumpers that are capable of galactic gate travel, but they don't find them until the end of season 1 or 2 as the ship's so big (but I'm not sure how likely that's gonna be).

Just a few ideas :)

the fifth man
September 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that at all.

Wolf O'Donnell
September 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that at all.

agree.

Hermiod
September 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
No

Hotsauce00
September 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
wouldn't mind that if it's only a two parter. Maybe if TPTB think a character isn't being developed (ie Ford in SGA) they can strand them with a few people they don't like and change or enhance the character in 2 episodes.

NKDietrich
September 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Lost and Survivor.

Get off my Internet!

Oh, and...

:tealc: No.

Browncoat1984
September 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Nope...the way I think it could work is we have three-four episode arcs (kind of like season 4 of Star Trek Enterprise, or the upcoming Clone Wars series).

draovwildand
September 22nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
I hope the entire cast gets stranded at the end of first season, they all die but not before eating each other. That is the only way I would like the whole teen drama, Battlestargate thing. I really hope this new show fails and they bring back atlantis. If I wanted battlestar galatica I would watch it, and if I wanted teen drama, angst, I would just go watch Degrassi. I am 17 and I like the older characters, and all the technobabble.

The Prophet
September 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
I hope the entire cast gets stranded at the end of first season, they all die but not before eating each other. That is the only way I would like the whole teen drama, Battlestargate thing. I really hope this new show fails and they bring back atlantis. If I wanted battlestar galatica I would watch it, and if I wanted teen drama, angst, I would just go watch Degrassi. I am 17 and I like the older characters, and all the technobabble.

If Universe fails, the entire Stargate franchise is dead.

Battlestar Galactica will be over in 10~ episodes, hopefully if Universe is played out correctly; it will attract a decent number BSG fans, hopefully.

And the Stargate Universe target audience is above 17, maybe why it's not going to be your cup of tea.

Also, the Sci-Fi genre, on it's own, is currently is pretty dead- look at the latest series that proved to be successful:

Stargate SG-1: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Modern Military angle
Battlestar Galactica: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Political Angle
Firefly: Crossed Sci-Fi with Wild-Western genre.
Heroes: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Superhero theme (Which seem to be all the rage, looking at the films Marvel & DC have brought out recently)

Not enough people want to see Sci-Fi on it's own; which was probably one of the reasons Enterprise flunked, besides the odd direction it was going.

Crossing Sci-Fi with other, popular elements seems to be on the right track, possibly if Universe is written correctly; drawing in other themes and genres it'll attract fans from other mainstream shows that we wouldn't have considered to be anything Stargate like.

Although, like any other show; if the writing/ characters/ etc are rubbish; then it'll be bound to fail (Unless it miraculously develops a late cult following xD)

ciannwn
September 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Also, the Sci-Fi genre, on it's own, is currently is pretty dead- look at the latest series that proved to be successful:

Stargate SG-1: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Modern Military angle
Battlestar Galactica: Crossed Sci-Fi with a Political Angle

Not enough people want to see Sci-Fi on it's own; which was probably one of the reasons Enterprise flunked, besides the odd direction it was going.

How are you defining science fiction here? Science fiction is an umbrella term with a number of sub genres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

As you will see, one of the sub genres is Military Science Fiction.

The Prophet
September 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
How are you defining science fiction here? Science fiction is an umbrella term with a number of sub genres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

As you will see, one of the sub genres is Military Science Fiction.

Plain Sci-Fi, such as Star Trek and the various aspects that came before it, that we consider cheesy and classic these days.

ciannwn
September 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Plain Sci-Fi, such as Star Trek and the various aspects that came before it, that we consider cheesy and classic these days.

Star Trek included military, politics, philosophy, ethics and human interest.

The Prophet
September 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Star Trek included military, politics, philosophy, ethics and human interest.

It's main focus though was exploring new worlds, perhaps faced with a controversial topic- but most shows have that thrown in left, right & centre these days.

Compare that to BSG's strong political/religious analogy; Firefly's heavy wild-western theme and SG-1's use of modern military weapons and tactics, etc.

ciannwn
September 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Compare that to BSG's strong political/religious analogy;

BSG includes military and social science fiction.

Firefly's heavy wild-western theme

That had novelty value.

and SG-1's use of modern military weapons and tactics, etc.

Military weapons and tactics do tend to turn up in military science fiction.

People heading off to different planets on space ships is just one type of science fiction. Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' and George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' are classed as science fiction and neither of these novels include space ships. other planets or aliens.

The Prophet
September 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
BSG includes military and social science fiction.

That had novelty value.

Military weapons and tactics do tend to turn up in military science fiction.

Exactly; they weren't pure sci-fi; they focused heavily on one of the denominations of it; whether it focused heavily on a span of them, or one for novelty purposes.

People heading off to different planets on space ships is just one type of science fiction. Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' and George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four' are classed as science fiction and neither of these novels include space ships. other planets or aliens.

Same again, political analogies.

People are complaining that Universe is loosing it's Sci-Fi-ness, when Sci-Fi is a broad term- encompassing many different genres and themes, as you've said.

Universe could very well be set entirely in a Orwellian Dystopia; with not a single alien or starship in sight; it would still be Sci-Fi. The added elements of what people are calling teen-drama is just another aspect that sci-fi can incorporate and still be science fiction.

thekillman
September 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
id say it would be cool to have a team stranded, and they have to find a way back. spend a full eppy on them getting lost, and now and then move to them.

draovwildand
September 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
If Universe fails, the entire Stargate franchise is dead.

I would rather the franchise dead than turned to $hit.

Battlestar Galactica will be over in 10~ episodes, hopefully if Universe is played out correctly; it will attract a decent number BSG fans, hopefully.

So we'll have another Battlestar Galatica, but what will replace Stargate?

And the Stargate Universe target audience is above 17, maybe why it's not going to be your cup of tea.

tptb said SGU is supposed to be directed to a younger audience, if it is above my age then why not just keep Atlantis, I liked all the older characters on Sg-1 and Atlantis. The age doesn't really matter as long as there is still humor not too much drama, thats why I never really liked battlestar galatica, and who is going to be having that much sex? especially when there are more important things to be done

The Prophet
September 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I would rather the franchise dead than turned to $hit.

Too late xD

Beggers can't be choosers :P

So we'll have another Battlestar Galatica, but what will replace Stargate?

From a financial and popularity view point; BSG was far more successful than Atlantis; might aswell jump ship and follow in the footsteps of something great than keep up with being average.

tptb said SGU is supposed to be directed to a younger audience, if it is above my age then why not just keep Atlantis, I liked all the older characters on Sg-1 and Atlantis. The age doesn't really matter as long as there is still humor not too much drama, thats why I never really liked battlestar galatica, and who is going to be having that much sex? especially when there are more important things to be done

Important things like repopulating human civilisation?

Oh wait...

stargater1990
September 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
With the spoilers for SGU saying that characters run the risk of being left behind in some galaxies if they dont gate out in time I kinda hope a few people are. Maybe in the back half of a season when theyre building to the finalle. Heck maybe strand some main characters on purpose and follow their struggle to survive ala Lost and Survivor. Could do an Aplot of destiny and its teams and Bplot of the lost team. Or maybe do 2 episodes of those on Destiny and then 1 episode of the lost team.

Thotz?

im sorry apperently i wasnt specific eneough, NO. it is an awful idea if i wanted to watch an episode of someone trying to survive id watch lost or survivor. that specific eneough for you?

P-90_177
September 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
A fantastic idea. You could definately show two parts of the season. I'd say perhaps an entire half season in fact where the main characters are split. Some stranded and trying to gate to a planet closer to the Destiny in order to contact them and the Destiny crew trying to cope without several key team members. Both can encounter whatever new enemy they come up with and both learn seperate parts of the plot puzzle. THIS is what Universe should be about if it's done well.

Gaeth
September 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM

I would actually like to see some cannibalism. I mean they wouldn't have to show it necessarily but doing it out of desperation to survive can be really edgy, or having enemies capture your friends and eat them can be scary.

thekillman
September 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
thats stupid.

look, this isnt gonna be 'lost". it will mean they travel from planet to planet, exploring worlds in the hope to find the destiny again

Arctic Goddess
September 23rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
I know this isn't the intended theme you are discussing, but when you said, "Left Behind", my first thoughts were, "Yeah, that describes about 70% of Stargate Fans upon hearing the new direction Star Gate wants to go. We all feel, "Left Behind".:(:(:(:(

Rise Of The Phoenix
September 23rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
I know this isn't the intended theme you are discussing, but when you said, "Left Behind", my first thoughts were, "Yeah, that describes about 70% of Stargate Fans upon hearing the new direction Star Gate wants to go. We all feel, "Left Behind".:(:(:(:(

I wouldn't say it's 'about' 70% it's about 50/50.
Many people I think have come to terms with the fact that the SGA show has been cancelled but there's no conclusive proof that it was done just to make Universe.
As much as people want to assume that this is the case.
TPTB haven't completely discarded Atlantis (we've still got the movie(s)) and Universe is still gonna have the gate so therer's no reason in my opinion to feel left behind.
Just look forward to the future, wait and see what comes.

draovwildand
September 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
Too late xD

Beggers can't be choosers :P

From a financial and popularity view point; BSG was far more successful than Atlantis; might aswell jump ship and follow in the footsteps of something great than keep up with being average.

Important things like repopulating human civilisation?

Oh wait...

how many people actually had babies?

Teslan
September 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Rise of the Phoenix makes a good point. A lot of people are bashing Universe without seeing it, and they are perfectly within their rights to do so. Me, I learned my lesson with Atlantis. I thought I would hate it, but boy, was I proven wrong. Now it is probably my favorite show on nowadays.

And you also have to factor in news fans. Universe might not have the same people watching it that SG-1 did, but then neither does Atlantis. There are plently of people on this forum alone, who happily admit to never watching SG-1 (or very rarely) and still think Atlantis is the cat's pajamas.

The Prophet
September 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
how many people actually had babies?

Practice makes perfect ;)

Rise Of The Phoenix
September 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Rise of the Phoenix makes a good point. A lot of people are bashing Universe without seeing it, and they are perfectly within their rights to do so. Me, I learned my lesson with Atlantis. I thought I would hate it, but boy, was I proven wrong. Now it is probably my favorite show on nowadays.

And you also have to factor in news fans. Universe might not have the same people watching it that SG-1 did, but then neither does Atlantis. There are plently of people on this forum alone, who happily admit to never watching SG-1 (or very rarely) and still think Atlantis is the cat's pajamas.

Atlantis is the Cat's Pajamas and so is SG1.
I'll miss the Atlantis show, but can't wait for the movie and Universe.

I hope Stargate lives on forever:)

atlantisguy76
September 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I don't feel left behind. The journey is not over yet, and I'm hoping Universe proves to have staying power. SG-1 was killed by the exit of RDA, it just didn't know it for two extra years. Atlantis was losing steam with the loss of Weir and the huge error of writing out the doctor. They back-tracked very quickly when there was fan backlash, but the damage was done. Universe needs people we will care about, people who will stay with the franchise as long as it is going, and that won't be killed off for no good reason. Hopefully, MGM and Sci-Fi have learned from their mistakes and are using this clean slate to do it right and keep it going for a very long time. I hope for the best when it comes to Universe. Take your time putting the series together, and test the pilot thoroughly with quality actors/actresses. We are putting our trust in your ideas and talents.