This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple galaxies?

I'm confused. The premise describes the Ancient ship making jumps every so often. If someone is left behind, they won't be able to rescue them. Shouldn't they be just a Stargate away? Does this mean the ship will be jumping to a new galaxy every few episodes? That's a bit silly. Do you have any idea how big our galaxy is, let alone others?

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    I'm confused. The premise describes the Ancient ship making jumps every so often. If someone is left behind, they won't be able to rescue them. Shouldn't they be just a Stargate away? Does this mean the ship will be jumping to a new galaxy every few episodes? That's a bit silly. Do you have any idea how big our galaxy is, let alone others?
    I've thought along similar lines. Hopefully we're just missing some details and more will soon be revealed that will make the whole concept a bit clearer.
    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

You would need a ZPM and an additional component to a DHD to travel to the next galaxy by stargate. Oh, and youd need to know the address to the new network, assuming theyre compatible without some hefty reprogramming (Atlantis is the only stargate in Pegasus that can dial Earth, and the SGC's homemade DHD is the only gate weve seen in the MW that can make intergalatic calls)

I doubt each sg team running out of Destiny is gonna have these things just in case theyre left behind.

Comment

even if it remains in the same galaxy, you'd need to know its new gate coordinates

Comment

I don't think personally the SGU team will visit multiple galaxies and if they do they will most likley travel to a new one at the end of a serise.

However I think the SGU team will use Jumpers (of sorts) to decend to the planets below becuase if it was a simple case of gating down to the planet from Destiny and then back again, there would not be much of a threat of being left behind, unless they work it in that you can only dial Destiny from a local gate whilst its in orbit or somthing.

Well will just have to have faith that the writers will do there best to clear up things like this!

Here's to hopein!
          A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

There are, technically, about 200 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, but if you count the small-mass stars, however, there can be around 400 billion...

Pegasus is smaller than MW, but there are billions more galaxys out there in the universe, each one housing billionsof stars.
            Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

Maybe the gatebuilder ship is far away, but I hope Destiny will be at least a season or 10-12 episode in every gate system. But if they leave a galaxy behind, than how will they continue earlier storylines? So I hope they will never reach the gatebuilder ship with Destiny. Maybe they will find it through a gate expedition. Who knows? The Universe can be good or bad, but they can change the conception for fresher storylines, races and technologies with every new gatesystem what they will find out.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Crais View Post
                There are, technically, about 200 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, but if you count the small-mass stars, however, there can be around 400 billion... Pegasus is smaller than MW, but there are billions more galaxys out there in the universe, each one housing billionsof stars.
                You're missing my point. One galaxy is massive and could probably never be fully explored due to sheer size. Why does the franchise have to move on to other galaxies when taking that into consideration?

I quite like the idea of the ship constantly moving from world to world, explaning why people cannot gate back to the ship. Perhaps the catch is, you can gate back to Earth, but not back to Destiny once it's moved?

Comment

For that matter, I still don't understand how traveling from galaxy to galaxy opens up a whole new universe of storytelling possibilities. When you travel through the gate to another planet, it doesn't matter how far away it is. (I'm talking about within one galaxy)
                  It still takes more or less the same time to get there. As long as you know the address, it doesn't matter where the planet is. For example, Abydos was relocated in CotG from being at the far end of the known universe to being the nearest planet to Earth. And that didn't really change anything.
                  I'm guessing that the only difference with Universe will be that the scale is much larger, and there will not be any returning to planets previously visited.

Comment

I've always assumed the Destiny will stay in a galaxy per season, and just stay in one spot. Because there is no reason for the ship to move within a galaxy, just from one galaxy to another.

But we may not know when the ship will jump, so whether or not the Destiny stays in one galaxy per season or just one episode, the teams off-ship exploring would have to be careful and quick, because the Destiny could leave any second.

We'll just have to wait and see, really, because it could move every episode...who knows?

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    even if it remains in the same galaxy, you'd need to know its new gate coordinates
                    Never thought of that...

Comment

thats what i assumed, the ship is on a course and they can't stop or alter it. so if they are left on the planet and the ship jumps to the next planet they have no idea where it is.

other galaxies would be cool but not for a couple seasons.

Comment

You're missing my point. One galaxy is massive and could probably never be fully explored due to sheer size. Why does the franchise have to move on to other galaxies when taking that into consideration?

I quite like the idea of the ship constantly moving from world to world, explaning why people cannot gate back to the ship. Perhaps the catch is, you can gate back to Earth, but not back to Destiny once it's moved?
                        I totally did miss your point, sorry about that

I dont think it would be possible for a particular team member to gate back to Earth though if they were stranded on a planet in a different galaxy. I was lead to beleive the risk factor was the fact that they are stuck on Destiny, its their new home, jumping around the cosmos on a one way trip, not really wanting to be on it. If they could simply stop off at a planet and go home to Earth i think no one would stay on Destiny...
                        Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

I think that the Gatebuilder/Seeder ship has a subspace link with Destiny.
                          As the first ship is creating multiple gate networks, one for each galaxy it would relay all relivent info (eg; stargate locations and gate coordinates) on each of these networks back to Destiny and I believe that would solve the problem of not knowing how to dial gate coordinates in a new gate system.

Also as Destiny is an automated vessel (likely with AI) it would need to know which Galaxy to go to next and the subspace relay would meen that the Seeder ship would be programming Destiny with relevant course information.

So I don't really see the Gate coordinate thing as a problem.
                          Not if the two ships have something like this.

Comment

I was sure that I read in one of the early outlines for SGU (I think it was the one that got posted prematurely a while back) that the ninth chevron, when used correctly would take one back to Destiny wherever it was in the universe. Does anyone remember that?
                            My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

In reply to how they would get down to the planet surface.

If the ship can make stargate's then why can't it make rings. The ship could shoot a set of rings down to the planet surface allowing them to travel backwards and forth. If it could build more, all it would have to do is auto-destruct the old set of rings before it leaves.

Maybe.

In the future they might be able to work out the next jump locations and if they get to the surface by ship. Similar to the puddle jumper than maybe they could install a hyperdrive in the puddle jumper and boost the power supply and just fly to the new ship's location. They may not even be puddle jumpers cause you have got to think that the puddle jumper is not as old as the Destiny.

The gateship/seedership is called the Destiny there not two separate things.
                              The course. Was most likely set in before it left to start seeding stargate's around the universe. With highly suffisticated sensors that can detect were the next galaxy is and just jump to that location.

There is one other thing that i'm not sure about and that is how has it kept it's power for all this time. What is it's power source does it have millions of ZPM or can it even build them. But main concern is what was there power supply so long ago in history

One other thing maybe it goes to the centre of a galaxy and detects which planets have life signatures and just fly's to those planets and seeds stargates. then might be able to detect certain materials that can supply power to the ship jump to those locations and recharge.

There's too many questions i guess we'll have to see when the show starts next year

Comment

Working...
                              X