PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 2 on DVD

D.C.
November 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Spider-Man 2 is released on DVD (in Australia atleast) tomorrow. Anyone going to get it? I probably will buy Spider-Man 2. I know Sam Raimi said there's a Special Edition coming in six months. Spider-Man's one of those movies I just get for the movie and not the extra features. Plus the initial DVD release will have plenty of extra features as well.

Larry
November 16th, 2004, 07:25 AM
I'll probably get it, but I'll wait alittle while. Once the dvd has been in circulation for awhile, Amazon's Marketplace gets some real good prices, plus the local video store will start selling extra renters once the initial rush subsides.

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I got someone to pick it up for me yesterday. Good price as well. I haven't had a chance to watch anything yet. The family's DVD player is in the shop until Friday, but I plan on watching the Special Features today on a DVD-Rom computer.

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I'll wait for the expanded edition due out around May.

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I read that Sam Raimi's perfectly happy with the final cut of the movie, he's only added additional CGI scenes and etc because Sony/Columbia Tristar wanted him to. I was happy with the version we saw in the cinema, and I don't buy the Spider-Man movies for the Special Features so I'm pretty damn happy to get the two disc collectors edition that was released yesterday.

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I read he wasn't happy about the final cut. He said he liked it alot, but that it could be better. he was given the chance and the budget to make the corrections as he saw fit, and he did it. The expanded edition will have like 20 more minutes of film. 20!

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 02:24 PM
I read the opposite... He said he couldn't have made a better cut.

I've been watching the extra features and they're pretty good and entertaining.

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 02:30 PM
I read the opposite... He said he couldn't have made a better cut.

I've been watching the extra features and they're pretty good and entertaining.

Really? SSH reported what I posted. Odd. Maybe I remebered it wrong. Was back in 09 when he came out with the expanded release talks. Also, glad you're enjoying the extras.

Does it contain 'Making the Game: Spiderman II'?

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 02:41 PM
It's got something about the game but I haven't watched it yet... It could just be the trailer or something. :) The extra features are better then the original movies DVD, I think. I was worried that they were going to focus too much on the visual effects, but they pretty much cover almost every aspect of it's production.

I read pretty recently on two sites that Raimi couldn't have made a better cut. I don't think the extended scenes are going to be that long as well...

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 02:47 PM
He said between 12 ad 15 seconds per act. So I don't know. It should be good though.

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what has been added. I'm glad I've got the theatrical cut, though. Dawn of the Dead was only released on DVD in Australia as the Director's Cut. It's still a decent movie, but I would have liked to get the theatrical cut that I saw in the cinemas.

X-Man
November 17th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I never really felt it was as good as the first one.
Better villain, sure, but it felt a little protracted.

Was good as a continuation, though, which is how I think it's meant to be taken i.e. as a trilogy.

Mind you, anyone else hear that Singer is off X-Men 3? He's doing superman instead, apparently....

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Actually, I thought it was alot better.

Also, yes, Singer IS doing Superman: The Return (Working title.). Right now FOX is working on making X3 and Weapon X.

X-Man
November 17th, 2004, 03:17 PM
D'oh!

As long as they don't screw up the "Weapon X" backstory and perhaps throw a couple of the Weapon X's into the mix, it should be fine.

I'm still hoping the Sentinels are in X3..fingers crossed.

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I don't know how they would include them, other than in a cameo, such as in a news report or in a shot of the blue prints. X3 is going to revolve around the dark phionex saga.

X-Man
November 17th, 2004, 03:31 PM
See, that's them just throwing the potential for greatness straight out the window!

Would've been best if they'd done a version of "Days of Future Past" or "Mutant Massacre" (Marvel/X-Men fanboy here, guys!) and had the closing scenes the Phoenix, coming back erupting into flame in orbit, or something, thereby creating the setting for X4.

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM
As much as I like Days Of Future Past, I don't think it would have worked well here. Plus most fans knew that X3 would be about DP, since both the series, and the books show her in a great body of water when she returned to Earth after hiding away the Shi'Ar's crystal.

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 04:46 PM
What's Weapon X?

I think Spider-Man 2 is probably just as good as the first, but if I had to rank one in front of the other I'd have to say the first one is slightly better. Both awesome movies, though.

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Weapon X was the code name given to Logan when he underwent the training in Canada to become Wolverine. Weapon X went beserk and blew up the New Alkaline Lake Base, and then joined Alpha Squad (the canadian, government owned, x-men wanna bes).

Logan then took on the name Wolverine and headed stateside to try and find his past.

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Cool. I'm not a huge comic fan, so I've never heard of that before. I knew Fox was thinking about a Wolverine movie, though. Thanks for the info.

DownFallAngel
November 17th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I think thats how it goes anyway. But you might want to wait until X-Men comes back. He seems to know more than me.

And you're welcome. I don't mind helping out.

D.C.
November 17th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I wonder if they'll try and get the same director to do both...

X-Man
November 18th, 2004, 09:56 AM
SPOILERS ALERT******
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Weapon Plus, the foundation of Weapon X for non-Wolverine fans, was the name of a top-secret government program which aimed to convert/create biological weapons for war against the enemies of humans.

Amongst the subjects attributed to it was Captain America, recognised as Weapon I (Roman numerials = 1). As mutants began to appear, the authorities decided to create a weapon to win the war for humanity, alongside the Sentinels.

Wolverine, or Weapon X, was kidnapped by the government scientists and tortured. He was given implants of adamantium (an extraordinarily painful procedure) and psychological restraints on his memory/false memories in an effort to control him. He was made to commit extreme acts of atrocity against human and animal subjects.

After a sustained period of time spent being torn apart and put back together again, Wolverine went berzerk and slaughtered most of the members of the facility, escaping into the Canadian wilderness. He was later found and recruited by Alpha Flight, and the rest is history.

The Weapon Plus project, however, continued, producing such mutants as Fantomex and Weapon XIII. They later attempted to recruit other X-Men such as Chamber, openly approaching them instead of kidnapping them.

BTW, Sabretooth is NOT Weapon X, although some suggest he is. His adamantium is natural and he always was a pyschopath due to childhood abuse.

D.C.
November 18th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Wow, I've never heard of that comic...

DownFallAngel
November 18th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Does Wolverine ever find out his real past? If so, please explain.

X-Man
November 18th, 2004, 01:41 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!

A few years back, Marvel published a comic called Origin.

This, to all extents and purposes, is the definitive origin of Wolverine.

In it, it was revealed that Logan, actually called James Howlett, was the son of a wealthy family in the 1800s.

Due to circumstance, his family were killed and feeling responsibly, fled, becoming a drifter, setting up "Weapon X" to occur.

In response to the publication of the comic, Marvel updated the Wolverine comic storyline to show that Wolverine in fact DID remember his childhood, but his mind shielded him from it to spare his pain so yes, he remembers some of it.

"Weapon X" was a mini-series in "Marvel Comics Presents", but is now in Graphic Novel form. I recommend it if only for the beautiful painted artwork and to get an idea of the psyche of wolverine, and a possible reason as to why he is swift to violence.

D.C.
November 18th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I haven't had the chance to watch the movie or commentaries, but I've pretty much watched all the extra features on the Spider-Man 2 DVD. They are some of the best extra features that I've seen on a DVD. (Up there with The Adventures of Indiana Jones boxset.) They are detailed and take you through the entire process of creating Spider-Man 2 from start to finish. My DVD player should be fixed today so I'm going to watch this awesome movie, tonight.

D.C.
November 18th, 2004, 01:44 PM
BTW. there are some funny hidden extra features as well... One has Sam Raimi suprising Alfred Malino (Doc Ock) with that actor who played the Green Goblin pretending to be Doc Ock. :))

D.C.
November 19th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Third post in a row... I just watched Spider-Man 2 again last night and it's a great movie.

D.C.
November 29th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Fourth post in a row... IGN has a review of the Spider-Man 2 DVD at http://dvd.ign.com/ - It's mostly good.