This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I Would Make a Third Series

Hi I'm new here. Thought I would put this up here as Gateworld seems to be the biggest place for Stargate.

When I first heard of the plans for a new series I had in mind only one way they could make one and it seem to make the most sense. Now I have heard what they are doing with it and I am a litle worried.

If I was in charge of making the newxt series I would make the stargate public with a new international organization in charge of exploring the galaxy of gates. I hope someone else somewhere has thought of this because there seemed to be several hints at it in both SG1 and Atlantis.

A public stargate program would open up a lot of new storylines. There were some very good eps that took place on Earth as I remember. And we have the Asguard database to look through as well as the Aciant database on Atlantis. The new international SG facility could be a research into these new technologies.

Think about it, as SG1 ended there are no more bad guys but there are several new nations and peoples that have risen up since the fall of the Goa'uld and the Ori and they could very well start fighting each other for control of space.

We have Earth, The Jaffa Nation, the Tok'ra, the Lucian Alliance, and I am willing to bet there are still some minor Goa'uld running around as well as the people of the Ori galaxy. And with a public stargate program on Earth, there would be confrontations on who would control the gate and what to do about treats to the earth and what to do if these races start fighting. Think of the plot tension!

You have all these races with powerful ships and weapon tech. How could anyone think they won't come to blows over a one planet or another.

Anyway, that is what I would do if I was in control of the next series. If would preserve the mythos of Stargate, allow for a new cast, and have room for cameos from character from SG1 and Atlantis.

Any thoughts?
    sigpic

I think I heard somewhere that Brad Wright was hinting at making the third SG-1 film about the stargate going public. Either that, or it was a dream or someone slipped something in my water.

Either way, I think the Milky Way galaxy has a lot of potential stories left in it and making the stargate program public will just add to those stories. Who knows, maybe a fourth series (if there is one. I'm just speculating), will have to do with Milky Way and Earth again.
    Jack: Good morning campers!

The Answer To 1984 Is 1776!

Comment

Not a big fan of public Stargates. I agree that there are pleanty of storylines left here in the milky way but I would do a more realistic military type show. Maybe a Green Beret team helping the Jaffa worlds nation build or a Navy Seal team on an aquatic planet. I'm really tired of unrealistic Air Force helo pilots being combat experts when anyone who has watched the History Channel can tell you isn't true. Maybe a totally british show with SAS and one token US SOCOM liason. Again really tired of AF falsely being the be all end all of the military.

Comment

Yeah I would like to see more than just the AF in Stargate too, but with SGU being on a ship, well, ships do need a pilot...

I actully was curious why the AF was the lead in Stargate and I looked it up one time. One thing I found was going back to project blue book the AF was in charge of investigating UFOs. It could just be that anything deemed 'alien' falls under AF jurisdiction first as more than likely contact with E.T. will be by ship, theirs or ours. Of course with the Stargate not being your typical SF means of travel and most eps being ground based, is still doesn't make a whole lotta sense that the AF be the main ground troops.
        sigpic

Comment

no offence but that idea would ruin stargate.
          because it puts all hopes to rest that the stargate program is real, and wormhole extreme is what SG-1 is to us.
          As soon as something happens on Earth that hasn't actually happened, it is no longer our team, or our program. There is no point to it be being a present day show.

The most interesting thing about SG-1 is that it is happening right now, when it is 2008 in real life it is 2008 on the show. I'd only want SG-1 to go public in the show, if something similar happened in real life or if it was an alternate timeline etc.

It's the only sci fi I can think of that is not in parallel with the real world as a serial.

Comment

the only problem by making it public is that it would remove that sense of reality from the show. the way stargate is made sugests that it could actually exist. to break that barrier would upset me and destroy the stargate universe tie in with our own. just my though, but while it would be interesting, i think it would seriously spoil the feel of the show.
            sigpic
            The 11th Doctor. Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Comment

Originally posted by Jangles View Post
              Hi I'm new here. Thought I would put this up here as Gateworld seems to be the biggest place for Stargate.

When I first heard of the plans for a new series I had in mind only one way they could make one and it seem to make the most sense. Now I have heard what they are doing with it and I am a litle worried.

If I was in charge of making the newxt series I would make the stargate public with a new international organization in charge of exploring the galaxy of gates. I hope someone else somewhere has thought of this because there seemed to be several hints at it in both SG1 and Atlantis.

A public stargate program would open up a lot of new storylines. There were some very good eps that took place on Earth as I remember. And we have the Asguard database to look through as well as the Aciant database on Atlantis. The new international SG facility could be a research into these new technologies.

Think about it, as SG1 ended there are no more bad guys but there are several new nations and peoples that have risen up since the fall of the Goa'uld and the Ori and they could very well start fighting each other for control of space.

We have Earth, The Jaffa Nation, the Tok'ra, the Lucian Alliance, and I am willing to bet there are still some minor Goa'uld running around as well as the people of the Ori galaxy. And with a public stargate program on Earth, there would be confrontations on who would control the gate and what to do about treats to the earth and what to do if these races start fighting. Think of the plot tension!

You have all these races with powerful ships and weapon tech. How could anyone think they won't come to blows over a one planet or another.

Anyway, that is what I would do if I was in control of the next series. If would preserve the mythos of Stargate, allow for a new cast, and have room for cameos from character from SG1 and Atlantis.

Any thoughts?
              Good ideas. They could even continue their search for the unanswered questions about the Ancients and the Milky Way with their new Asgard knowledge and explore the frontier of space just beyond what we've seen and know about.
              StarshineRoxie
              A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jangles View Post
                Yeah I would like to see more than just the AF in Stargate too, but with SGU being on a ship, well, ships do need a pilot...

I actully was curious why the AF was the lead in Stargate and I looked it up one time. One thing I found was going back to project blue book the AF was in charge of investigating UFOs. It could just be that anything deemed 'alien' falls under AF jurisdiction first as more than likely contact with E.T. will be by ship, theirs or ours. Of course with the Stargate not being your typical SF means of travel and most eps being ground based, is still doesn't make a whole lotta sense that the AF be the main ground troops.
                It's because the Air force usually has more scientists and technicians to study space and air travel in all forms.
                StarshineRoxie
                A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
                sigpic

Comment

The problem with the way the show evolved is that at the begining the team that saw the most combat seemed to me atleast to be SG-3 (USMC). When SGA came on I thought they would go the Navy or Marine Corps route but not so much. I hear what you guys are saying with the Blue Book and technicians but is Rodney in the AF? No he's Canadian. One of you said ships need pilots, no they don't the need helmsmen, planes need pilots. I would've assumed that the Dedalus and Oddessy would be Navy ships but yeah for lack of realism. I know it's Scifi but I expect it to be as believable as possible and frankly with the AF taking the primary role in the SG franchise it ain't happening. With that said I hope they do what I've suggested a with SGU and make it a Navy crew on the ship with a few civilians (which happens in real life ntw) to deal with the Ancient stuff. I'm in the Army and was in Navy JROTC in HS so maybe I'm biased but still, COME ON!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hotsauce00 View Post
                    The problem with the way the show evolved is that at the begining the team that saw the most combat seemed to me atleast to be SG-3 (USMC). When SGA came on I thought they would go the Navy or Marine Corps route but not so much. I hear what you guys are saying with the Blue Book and technicians but is Rodney in the AF? No he's Canadian. One of you said ships need pilots, no they don't the need helmsmen, planes need pilots. I would've assumed that the Dedalus and Oddessy would be Navy ships but yeah for lack of realism. I know it's Scifi but I expect it to be as believable as possible and frankly with the AF taking the primary role in the SG franchise it ain't happening. With that said I hope they do what I've suggested a with SGU and make it a Navy crew on the ship with a few civilians (which happens in real life ntw) to deal with the Ancient stuff. I'm in the Army and was in Navy JROTC in HS so maybe I'm biased but still, COME ON!!!
                    Space ships don't fall under Navy jurisdiction though. Anything Air/Space falls under Air Force, anything water falls under Navy, anything land falls under Army/Marines with select organizations from both the Navy and Air Force. So Stargate is realistic that anything to do with space travel would fall under Air Force jurisdiction simply because it has to do with space. Same way the Air force launches it's own rockets and satellites. No other branch does that. I'm sure that if Earth ever got to the point it is in the show a completely new branch of the military would develop to deal strictly with space. But for now the Air Force is all we got for anything space related.
                    sigpic Current Episode: Hell's Fire
                    Stargate Olympus Virtual Series
                    Stargate Olympus thread
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Hotsauce00 View Post
                      I'd love to see some other parts of the troops too.
                      But regarding the piloting of 304s you would have to consider the 3D-maneuvers. Personally I think that a pilot might be better suited for that job. After all the movement for spaceships would be rather different than that of a "normal" ship (aside submarines).
                      On the other hand a pilot usually doesn't have to consider things like crew managment or damage control
                      sigpic
                      Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
                      Spoiler:
                      Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
                      You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

Comment

olympus--

my friend the first man in space was a naval aviator and the first space shuttle pilot was a marine corps pilot. 3 AF officers have been in space and every space shuttle commander has been a Naval officer. Most manned vessels in space are under NASA which currently uses Naval bases and personel on missions. just sayin.

Karhedron--

Submariners would most likely be the first to drive the 304s. Over all though people the Navy already has a command structure for ships and trains everyone to be on one. It makes no sense for the Air Force to be incharge of the Stargate program when it is bearly has a presence in Aerospace history. The Navy/Marines/Rangers would make way more sense than the Air Force. Cheyenne Mountain isn't even an Air Force base it's now a Joint service station which is opperated by the US Army. Just agree with me and move on.

Comment

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion Hotsauce. I do think that you're presenting a compelling argument there but ending it with 'agree with me and move on' undermines that. Just because you are quite sure you're right doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way
                          sigpic

Comment

It's called a joke friend. I quiet enjoy correcting the missteps that TPTB make on Stargate. Even if they don't ditch the AF they should still get a new military technical advisor, most of the uniform/weapons/command structure is wrong. I realize it's a Canadian made show but the least they could do is pop down to Ft. Lewis or McCord and ask a PAO to come correct thier stuff.

Comment

I can't comment on Atlantis - I've no idea what they do there. I do know that on SG1 the AF advisor had a lot of say, even making them re-do stuff, changing scenes and over-riding the director and producers. The advisor was a stickler for uniform as well. I know that there are a few things that they let slide - it is a TV show after all and you have to work within the constrains of that, but overall the military aspect to the show was taken very seriously.

When you're writing online, and want to convey a joke, then either ensure it is done so in a jokey way or use a smilie. It is rather tiring to get the old 'oh it was a joke what's the matter don't you have a sense of humour' thing after the fact. I guess I've been online for far too long, but that's one gambit that really does wear thin quite quickly.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X